Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

They added skills to the game that boost your base sensor strength

???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US109
Apr 26, 2016
On-grid links are still an interesting force multiplier outside of Command Ship fleets

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Links are dumb. Just delete them all.

Same but with all multiboxing :getin:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I cannot thank the people who keep sending me isks enough. You guys are all really lovely to do that and I appreciate it so very much.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

jm20 posted:

???????

Gravimetric/Ladar/Magnetometric/Radar sensor compensation

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I will say, personally, I think most alliances intrested in living in and holding their sove are better off holding 2-4 constellations rather than say a region or two. To me, that's the most sensible thing to do with the Aegis sov mechanics. See: Horde holding 2 constellations in Querious (I don't really cound the stuff up north as that's not really space that was intended to be lived in long term).

I know you're not really interested in Defending Your View On Sov right now, but sov warfare theorycrafting is interesting to me because I play this game for Space Empires and large scale, so I'll just pick this up and roll with it and whoever actually wants to respond can. It seems to me that when you combine this with lower player numbers, this only makes Flanders' scenario of "anything too far from empire will simply get abandoned" even more likely. If there's no way to feasibly hold the doorstep space you need to defend the space you actually want, what other option is there? Even an alliance of GSF's size probably should consolidate down to a region and extras at most, but if astrography dictates that you have to take more than you can hold in order to defend what you actually need then who's going to bother with deep null?

There's also the question of whether that 2-4 constellations is ever going to have the carrying capacity to sustain an alliance capable of defending it, but that's not strictly a question of Aegis sov so much as it is a question of whether CCP thinks there are enough rewards in null to justify the effort of holding it and whether those rewards scale.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Unfunny Poster posted:

I will say, personally, I think most alliances intrested in living in and holding their sove are better off holding 2-4 constellations rather than say a region or two. To me, that's the most sensible thing to do with the Aegis sov mechanics. See: Horde holding 2 constellations in Querious (I don't really cound the stuff up north as that's not really space that was intended to be lived in long term).

Yup, agreed. I think it just hinges on your corp size -- FCON, for example, could trivially fit in one constellation. CONDI, otoh, has 17,000 characters in it.

Although, fwiw, calling O1Y a temporary home is some premature moving of goalposts. I know that Gobbins likes to put 'we'll reevaluate on $date' on his corp mails about O1Y, but tbh, he puts that disclaimer on everything he tells PH to do, because he's indecisive as poo poo and half the newbeans think that whiplash is a normal state of affairs.

jm20 posted:

???????

In the Targeting branch of the skill tree, Gravimetric/Magnetometric/Ladar/Radar Sensor Compensation. Boosts your ship's base sensor strength by 4% per level, meaning that if you have it trained to 5 for your current hull, you're 20% less likely to get jammed by ECM.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Been driving a Garbage Truck in Saranen standing. Got to salvage a capital today. :toot:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/07Vbg5b.webm

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grognan posted:

Been driving a Garbage Truck in Saranen standing. Got to salvage a capital today. :toot:

You should make sure to get any t2 salvage you got safely to jita as soon after the patch hits as possible.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dallan Invictus posted:

I know you're not really interested in Defending Your View On Sov right now, but sov warfare theorycrafting is interesting to me because I play this game for Space Empires and large scale, so I'll just pick this up and roll with it and whoever actually wants to respond can. It seems to me that when you combine this with lower player numbers, this only makes Flanders' scenario of "anything too far from empire will simply get abandoned" even more likely. If there's no way to feasibly hold the doorstep space you need to defend the space you actually want, what other option is there? Even an alliance of GSF's size probably should consolidate down to a region and extras at most, but if astrography dictates that you have to take more than you can hold in order to defend what you actually need then who's going to bother with deep null?

There's also the question of whether that 2-4 constellations is ever going to have the carrying capacity to sustain an alliance capable of defending it, but that's not strictly a question of Aegis sov so much as it is a question of whether CCP thinks there are enough rewards in null to justify the effort of holding it and whether those rewards scale.

It's not really me not being interested in defending it, just more like "i could do this, or i could do something else more entertaining...."

I'll reply to this more seriously after I retire in my UFC game.

ullerrm posted:

Yup, agreed. I think it just hinges on your corp size -- FCON, for example, could trivially fit in one constellation. CONDI, otoh, has 17,000 characters in it.

Although, fwiw, calling O1Y a temporary home is some premature moving of goalposts. I know that Gobbins likes to put 'we'll reevaluate on $date' on his corp mails about O1Y, but tbh, he puts that disclaimer on everything he tells PH to do, because he's indecisive as poo poo and half the newbeans think that whiplash is a normal state of affairs.

In the Targeting branch of the skill tree, Gravimetric/Magnetometric/Ladar/Radar Sensor Compensation. Boosts your ship's base sensor strength by 4% per level, meaning that if you have it trained to 5 for your current hull, you're 20% less likely to get jammed by ECM.

We moved Horde into O1Y for better staging for a push into Deklein & Pureblind from the west, but the plan was never to permanently live in Fade or the north long term. You can believe me or not, but that's what we all agreed upon when we were planning the stuff. There's also something to be said about not repeating what BRAVE did where you're clutching to sov you can't reasonably hold on to while you're being pounded on by a bigger group.

It was the same mentality when Horde lived in Catch, same as when they took 93PI & tried to push into Pure Blind, same as Cloud Ring 1.0, then Cloud Ring 2.0 and same as Querious right now. I can only speak as a former director of Horde though, so I don't know what the plan is right now but I assume its no different than it was 2 weeks ago.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Have we had chilli talk yet in this thread?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What's the minimum sp amount and K/L isk ratio required to be admitted to RVCMF and do I need to provide full API? Also is it all right that I only have 3 super cap capable accounts?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's the minimum sp amount and K/L isk ratio required to be admitted to RVCMF and do I need to provide full API? Also is it all right that I only have 3 super cap capable accounts?

Just send an application and welcome aboard!
The tax rate is 0.5% and all you have to do is have fun, chill and mine!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

US109 posted:

On-grid links are still an interesting force multiplier outside of Command Ship fleets

Eh. The problem with links as a force multiplier is that it's the new normal. Fleets rarely undock without them. And if you lose them, you can't stand on the field without a large advantage. A lot of fleet comps only work with links. Fleets often have to wait for links, which just slows everything down.

Also, how does it count as interesting? Flying a domi and assigning drones was more engaging gameplay than links.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

VideoGames posted:

How long is the initial probationary period and who will be my assigned parole officer?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

We moved Horde into O1Y for better staging for a push into Deklein & Pureblind from the west, but the plan was never to permanently live in Fade or the north long term. You can believe me or not, but that's what we all agreed upon when we were planning the stuff. There's also something to be said about not repeating what BRAVE did where you're clutching to sov you can't reasonably hold on to while you're being pounded on by a bigger group.

It was the same mentality when Horde lived in Catch, same as when they took 93PI & tried to push into Pure Blind, same as Cloud Ring 1.0, then Cloud Ring 2.0 and same as Querious right now. I can only speak as a former director of Horde though, so I don't know what the plan is right now but I assume its no different than it was 2 weeks ago.

That's a somewhat fair cop, but it's also pretty unfortunate for the newer guys who probably haven't learned the ins and outs of "what should I stage, and where, and how do I evac when we move?" I guess you could call it a learning experience or something?

Especially when they're struggling to make isk. I had a serious facepalm moment at an exchange in plusten a few days ago: A newbie in O1Y was broke and asking how he should make isk, and a condescending fellow told him 1) to stop whining, and 2) that he could make all the money he needed by buying ships on Jita, paying Scooty to import them to O1Y, and put them up on contracts at a 20% markup.

Like, this poor two-week-old gently caress can't afford to buy a Catalyst to shoot a rat with, and you want him to get into nullsec doctrine importing? What nest egg, pray tell, was he supposed to use to make those initial Jita purchases and start his import business? It was legit one of the most frustrating and infurating things I've ever seen someone suggest to a new player.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How long is the initial probationary period and who will be my assigned parole officer?

I don't think I have either of those. It's not a real proper corporation thing.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Boston terriers were a worse mistake than pugs.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
What would be a good way to get my Wife's Son into EVE?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

VideoGames posted:

How likely are you to keep playing for a while? I would be sad if I put an alt in and you went inactive right after. I suppose you making this thread is a good sign.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I don't think I have either of those. It's not a real proper corporation thing.

I'm just tugging your chain, these are all stupid requirements for most SUPER ELITE PVP corps.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Butt Discussin posted:

How likely are you to keep playing for a while? I would be sad if I put an alt in and you went inactive right after. I suppose you making this thread is a good sign.

I am definitely playing for a long while! As I said in my corp chat (its so :3: to have a corp chat!!) I plan on doing as many mining and exploration missions as I can. I am enjoying myself way too much to quit!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm just tugging your chain, these are all stupid requirements for most SUPER ELITE PVP corps.

Cheeky! Thank goodness. I was a bit baffled.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ullerrm posted:

Is that realistically how sensor comps factor in? Because sebos (:rip: eccm) use a similar wording but provide a significantly larger bonus than the skills do. If I remember, old eccm scaled between 86% and 98%.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am definitely playing for a long while! As I said in my corp chat (its so :3: to have a corp chat!!) I plan on doing as many mining and exploration missions as I can. I am enjoying myself way too much to quit!

Good enough for me, let's netflix mine and chill. I'll probably do exploration more than mine, it is somewhat engaging. I can also show you how to huff gas in wormholes sometime.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Zephyrine posted:

Kismeteer how is the corp search going?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773367

At least, until we burn out. Delve is for goons, Anime is cartoons.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

That's a somewhat fair cop, but it's also pretty unfortunate for the newer guys who probably haven't learned the ins and outs of "what should I stage, and where, and how do I evac when we move?" I guess you could call it a learning experience or something?

Especially when they're struggling to make isk. I had a serious facepalm moment at an exchange in plusten a few days ago: A newbie in O1Y was broke and asking how he should make isk, and a condescending fellow told him 1) to stop whining, and 2) that he could make all the money he needed by buying ships on Jita, paying Scooty to import them to O1Y, and put them up on contracts at a 20% markup.

Like, this poor two-week-old gently caress can't afford to buy a Catalyst to shoot a rat with, and you want him to get into nullsec doctrine importing? What nest egg, pray tell, was he supposed to use to make those initial Jita purchases and start his import business? It was legit one of the most frustrating and infurating things I've ever seen someone suggest to a new player.

I don't deny it's not ideal for new players entirely. As to the example, I don't really sit in Plusten anymore, so I don't know who said what but yeah that sounds like a really bad suggestion to that guys issue. I'd have simply told him to head down to Querious and work on increasing his coffers some or something that was a bit safer than sitting in a system like O1Y trying to make money. Like I said, I've basically become disconnected from Horde for the past two weeks since I'm focusing on stuff with EVE NT TV & their esports/streaming stuff nowadays.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Is that realistically how sensor comps factor in? Because sebos (:rip: eccm) use a similar wording but provide a significantly larger bonus than the skills do. If I remember, old eccm scaled between 86% and 98%.

Sebos give you a bonus based on the ship's base strength. Those skills affect the ship's base strength, so it's multiplicative.

Imagine that you're in a Blackbird with 10 jam strength, and you're jamming a Rokh. Assuming the Rokh doesn't have the comps skills trained:

* Base Rokh sensor strength = 24 points, so 10 / 24 = 41% chance to jam
* Adding a scripted sebo = +100% strength, so 48 points, 10 / 48 = 20.8% chance to jam

Now, imagine that the Rokh has sensor comp 5, boosting the base strength by 20%.

* Base Rokh sensor strength = 28.8 points, 10 / 28.8 = 34.7% chance to jam
* Adding a scripted sebo = 56.4 points = 17.7% chance to jam

Sebos are still by far the best improvement you can make -- it halves your base chance to get jammed, no matter what your skills are. However, the skills will reduce the initial chance to jam as well.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

VideoGames posted:

VideoGames your the best thing to happen to these threads :swoon:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dallan Invictus posted:

OK, so here's going to be a small :effort: post of stuff that, honestly, is probably lovely thinking on my part and also pretty hugely speculative based on what CCP say they want to do with Aegis and the roadmap they've shown the past few years.

I think that, ideally, most alliances/crews are going to want to cram themselves into 2-3 regions max depending on their relative size and on their activity. If you look at Providence's ADM (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Providence#adm) they're almost all at 6 ADM which is the max because they actively use their space etc. Coincidentally I did a stream the other day talking about the history of the building of Providence that was kind of fun (VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/eve_nt_tv/v/62164111 ).

When you look at Providence and compare it to let's say Branch circa January 2016 (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Branch/2016-01-01#adm) there's a huge difference. Sure Branch is removed from empire so, logistically speaking, it takes more effort but you're also in a relatively save area of the game at that time what with The Imperium having sway of the land there. Hell even Deklein wasn't that good in terms of its ADM spread (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Deklein/2016-01-01#adm). CCP heavily have implied cramming people into regions/constellations is ideally what these changes will want to do. For example Fountain, prior to this war, had relatively better ADM spread than Branch & Deklein (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Fountain/2016-01-01#adm). I think, personally, in a post-World War Bee world GSF & allies are better off focusing on a region or two that are decent ratting but also borders empire. Assuming the plan is to take back and hold sovereignty.I understand there are issues related to income in null versus low, wormholes, and highsec, however for the moment it's worth noting that if you want to live in nullsec and own space land you'll ignore that to some degree.

I don't know what option there are regarding the people who live far out in the boonies of space for the time being, mechanically speaking I have no idea what you can do other than have agreements or be very very smart & clever with how you get your stuff out there. Guys like Drone Walkers are going to have to work hard to get poo poo into Tenal more so than say someone like TISHU out in Cloud Ring. Now this is going to delve into rampant speculation around CCP's plans & roadmap, specifically player created stargates. I personally think CCP should make it so players can build, and will have to defend, player stargates between the boonie regions (eg. Omist, Outer Passage, Tenal, Period Basis etc.) and empire regions they can build a connection to. I won't touch on the idea of connecting wormhole systems in this bit but that could also be a cool function. Anyway, allowing players out in Period Basis to build a singular stargate that connects to empire allows for a bit of an ease for logistics and importing for them, and with some limits (eg. only one player made stargate can be connected to a relatively close empire region, maybe even only allow that to specific regions out in the boonies, etc.) would make sense to me. It'd resolve a lot of those issues where "it's super tough to live out here without any NIP/Blueing up of people in the regions we need to go through with our JFs."

Again that's just rampant fanboying and speculation of a cool game design/mechanic I think could make deep null regions viable and usable more so than they have been in probably their entire existance. That said I'll repeat that it's probably lovely for a lot of reasons and is all kinds of bad ideas and probably I did a poor job explaining stuff as I'm actually supposed to be doing The JEFFRAIDER Show right now and not writing this but people are talking about Citadels and my eyes glazed over from not understanding that stuff.

Hopefully this is at least a glimpse into my thought process about how Aegis sov & CCPs roadmap could be really good, and I'm sorry if it's a jumbled mess of words and bad ideas.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 26, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't deny it's not ideal for new players entirely. As to the example, I don't really sit in Plusten anymore, so I don't know who said what but yeah that sounds like a really bad suggestion to that guys issue. I'd have simply told him to head down to Querious and work on increasing his coffers some or something that was a bit safer than sitting in a system like O1Y trying to make money. Like I said, I've basically become disconnected from Horde for the past two weeks since I'm focusing on stuff with EVE NT TV & their esports/streaming stuff nowadays.

Virtually no quality control is going on in horde. No vetting at any level. The FC for the horde standing fleet for several days standing was a goon who was feeding a neutral gang killmails by randomly warping squads into death camps. I can't think of a shittier environment to be a newbie in than one where the leadership can't even be arsed to half assed defend you against your own membership. TEST does it better, as does GSF. The only reason you do it better than Brave Newbies is because they are a perpetual dumpster fire that literally collapsed into infighting in the middle of this war without us even firing a shot.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

VideoGames posted:

I'm still sitting on an unused 60 Day account code... I think this weekend I'll redeem it and apply the new character to RVCMF in order to relive that new player experience with you. :3:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

Virtually no quality control is going on in horde. No vetting at any level. The FC for the horde standing fleet for several days standing was a goon who was feeding a neutral gang killmails by randomly warping squads into death camps. I can't think of a shittier environment to be a newbie in than one where the leadership can't even be arsed to half assed defend you against your own membership. TEST does it better, as does GSF. The only reason you do it better than Brave Newbies is because they are a perpetual dumpster fire that literally collapsed into infighting in the middle of this war without us even firing a shot.

Again, this is all relatively news to me since I haven't really done much with Horde since end of February/mid March. I know that any awoxers etc. get purged from the corp (along with other people who cause issues not just via awoxing). The whole mentality of having to apply to be an FC etc. isn't how PL or Waffles ever operate so that's why Horde does that stuff. Is that ideal? Probably not, but the flip side of that coin is that outside of that sort of situation it allows a new guy who wants to FC to step up and FC without red tape and dumb stuff related to it that have turned off newbies from groups like E-Uni etc. in the past.

I can't speak as to how Horde compares to TEST since I never did anything with them, but I know the whole mentality in GSF where you had to do X or Y just to take a fleet out was sort of weird and dumb in my opinion.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What are you talking about? We don't have that. That's only for doing strategic reimbursement fleet stuff.

gently caress, like day old newbies lead fleets.

Edit: I have had fleets dumped on my lap and I am vehemently not space important or vetted, or good.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

CainFortea posted:

What are you talking about? We don't have that. That's only for doing strategic reimbursement fleet stuff.

gently caress, like day old newbies lead fleets.

Edit: I have had fleets dumped on my lap and I am vehemently not space important or vetted, or good.

Dont you have to be in a Skirmish Commander SIG to get a fleet ping?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

goninzo posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773367

At least, until we burn out. Delve is for goons, Anime is cartoons.

A fitting place for you.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is Videogames mining in a heron? :froggonk:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

cravius posted:

I don't think anyone has ever been rejected from gfsc, and even so you can get a ping if you know who to poke

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cravius posted:

Or just ask in Elysium. Skirmish commander is not a hoop you jump through. It's there for people who want to learn to FC to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

but I know the whole mentality in GSF where you had to do X or Y just to take a fleet out was sort of weird and dumb in my opinion.

All you had to do was apply to SC's and you were good to take stuff out.

• Locked thread