Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Unfunny Poster posted:

OK, so here's going to be a small :effort: post of stuff that, honestly, is probably lovely thinking on my part and also pretty hugely speculative based on what CCP say they want to do with Aegis and the roadmap they've shown the past few years.

I think that, ideally, most alliances/crews are going to want to cram themselves into 2-3 regions max depending on their relative size and on their activity. If you look at Providence's ADM (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Providence#adm) they're almost all at 6 ADM which is the max because they actively use their space etc. Coincidentally I did a stream the other day talking about the history of the building of Providence that was kind of fun (VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/eve_nt_tv/v/62164111 ).

When you look at Providence and compare it to let's say Branch circa January 2016 (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Branch/2016-01-01#adm) there's a huge difference. Sure Branch is removed from empire so, logistically speaking, it takes more effort but you're also in a relatively save area of the game at that time what with The Imperium having sway of the land there. Hell even Deklein wasn't that good in terms of its ADM spread (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Deklein/2016-01-01#adm). CCP heavily have implied cramming people into regions/constellations is ideally what these changes will want to do. For example Fountain, prior to this war, had relatively better ADM spread than Branch & Deklein (http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Fountain/2016-01-01#adm). I think, personally, in a post-World War Bee world GSF & allies are better off focusing on a region or two that are decent ratting but also borders empire. Assuming the plan is to take back and hold sovereignty.I understand there are issues related to income in null versus low, wormholes, and highsec, however for the moment it's worth noting that if you want to live in nullsec and own space land you'll ignore that to some degree.

I don't know what option there are regarding the people who live far out in the boonies of space for the time being, mechanically speaking I have no idea what you can do other than have agreements or be very very smart & clever with how you get your stuff out there. Guys like Drone Walkers are going to have to work hard to get poo poo into Tenal more so than say someone like TISHU out in Cloud Ring. Now this is going to delve into rampant speculation around CCP's plans & roadmap, specifically player created stargates. I personally think CCP should make it so players can build, and will have to defend, player stargates between the boonie regions (eg. Omist, Outer Passage, Tenal, Period Basis etc.) and empire regions they can build a connection to. I won't touch on the idea of connecting wormhole systems in this bit but that could also be a cool function. Anyway, allowing players out in Period Basis to build a singular stargate that connects to empire allows for a bit of an ease for logistics and importing for them, and with some limits (eg. only one player made stargate can be connected to a relatively close empire region, maybe even only allow that to specific regions out in the boonies, etc.) would make sense to me. It'd resolve a lot of those issues where "it's super tough to live out here without any NIP/Blueing up of people in the regions we need to go through with our JFs."

Again that's just rampant fanboying and speculation of a cool game design/mechanic I think could make deep null regions viable and usable more so than they have been in probably their entire existance. That said I'll repeat that it's probably lovely for a lot of reasons and is all kinds of bad ideas and probably I did a poor job explaining stuff as I'm actually supposed to be doing The JEFFRAIDER Show right now and not writing this but people are talking about Citadels and my eyes glazed over from not understanding that stuff.

Hopefully this is at least a glimpse into my thought process about how Aegis sov & CCPs roadmap could be really good, and I'm sorry if it's a jumbled mess of words and bad ideas.

I broadly agree, but consolidating nullsec groups into smaller territories will just mean you get less friction between groups competing for space, if you don't have either a growing server population or an increased incentive to go out there and fight for that space. CCP seems to have based Aegis sov on ignoring those two realities, pretending that if only the big evil coalitions weren't squatting on all that space, nullsec would be unshackled and we'd see some glorious smallgang 0.0 PVPtopia of good fights on every gate. The other option is that they know the reality all too well, but are actively trying to starve the beast of large scale warfare and territorial conquest, because they intend to pivot the game towards a new audience who are here for the Fun Per Hour and demand content on a plate without any of the unpleasantries.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

Sure, I agree that right now the incentives aren't there. What CCP plan to do to resolve that issue is beyond me because I don't work on the design team, though they seem to think the incentives right now are fine which I disagree with. I think CCP making Nullsec regions have exclusive assets to farm, like how WHs only get sleeper stuff iirc, would be a good step. Especially if its for the faction capitals they're working on as well as the pirate implants. Make those conquerable nullsec exclusive drops, and that's one way to make people want to fight over the resources/control the land.
Well yes, I agree. But what we see are sov nerfs and disincentives today whilst CCP occasionally mumble vaguely about the possibility of improvements one day in the future, and Fozzie's reported attitude in the recent round table is the sort of thing that puts a big question mark over them ever implementing any of them.

Meanwhile you, me, and everyone else bases from NPC space and opts out of having to deal with that poo poo in the first place.

quote:

I also think catering towards the people who don't want to log in and sit around for hours on end for a 10 minute fight isn't as bad of a thing as people make it out to be. I don't think it's some ~elite pvper~ mentality to want to be able to log into the game, and be able to go out and find PVP rather easily. Prior to the war people in CFC/Imperium were complaining about having to go 20 jumps just to find people to fight, where as in other areas it was less (excluding Drone Regions). I disagree with people like Chessur who think there should be instanced PVP arenas, since that goes against the spirit of EVE but I also think it's absurd that people think its a bad thing for CCP to work on making the players who don't have hours to spend on a singular fleet at a time be able to log in and frag nerds. The stuff Darius' guys are doing now is pretty much what I'm referring to in thinking that CCP should encourage that stuff. They're in a relatively decent area in terms of activity (both PVE & PVP) and they can find fights rather easily. Sure its not a massive battle to end all battles but for a variety of reasons CCP have chosen that those things aren't necessarily what they want to have happening.
People complaining about being unable to find any PvP weren't looking very hard, if they were that keen to get fights they would have taxiceptored themselves to Syndicate or lowsec in 10 minutes rather than spending that time making excuses, and parked a jump clone and a bunch of hulls there for future instant gratification. Easy access to PvP is a good thing but the best way to encourage that is to provide diverse reasons and objectives for a variety of players and groups to want to be out in space where they can shoot each other ("farms and fields", anyone?), and CCP's attempts to implement any such features have ranged from halfarsed, to outright counter-productive, to completely absent.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Make sure to screencap it if you see stuff like that, we don't want people who do poo poo like that in horde.

Only because it gives them an autovouch to PL :laugh:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

It'll be amazing to look back on Videogames' posts in a couple of months when he is a raging inferno of constant supercap scams and suicide ganking.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

p7hk9 posted:

Wait till you see how much you can mine with that

He's going to have an ore-gasm :haw:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Also, the amount of donations I have experienced in my two weeks with this game is literally astounding and I really wish there was a way of repaying or something because it has really helped me love the game!

This happens with all goon newbies ever.

:shobon: Wow you just gave me more isk than I can possibly imagine thanks so much!

:corsair: ehh no big deal I have so much money lying around that was literally pocket change

It never stops being cute though.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

ullerrm posted:

I'm gonna come in on the "random assignment is dumb" side of things, for two reasons :

1) the player base is way older now, on average
2) god help the poor fucks who end up in a group with sothrasil or penif or DBRB or mittens or w/e

What I have thought about at times is making a small gang sig, which could be run one of two ways:

1) everyone in one sig, but no fleets bigger than X people allowed
2) the sig is subdivided into micro squads, you are given X pilots who will fly together, time to get gud

Both sound terrible in their own way honestly.

One idea I thought of a while back was the solo/micro-gang summer house - pick a random staging system off away from the north-west, set up a cache of fitted ships and just have goons who are bored of fleet stuff clone over there and derp around lowsec learning how to do Elite Pee Vee Pee with peacetime reimbursement but without the structured FC handholding. I was going to put it forward as a possible way to revive EG (rip) but :effort:

Obviously there's other things going on now which take priority.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Videogames what is the name of the public chat channel for your corp?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Quit trying to omnitank. Take the 4 seconds to figure out what damage types are in a mission and then tank for those.
This is bad advice, since omnitank is gank resistance. Tailor your resistances to the NPCs a little but if you're at all worried about getting suicided then you need to avoid resist holes and increase buffer.

(if you are intentionally giving bad advice so you can gank him, then carry on)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

VideoGames posted:

That does sound like a shame. Silly super speeding about the universe sounds like tremendous fun.

It was tremendous fun but it also fundamentally broke the game's physics engine :ccp:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Krogort posted:

The EVE subreddit is insufferable.
I liked it because it centralise new patch-notes, dev blogs, ingame events, YouTube video and some interesting third party site posts.
Lately the signal to noise ratio has became way too low for it to be worth reading.

Is there some other source of news that isn't full of garbage meme, poo poo propaganda and killmails in triplicate?

There used to be the official eve-o forums but CCP have all but abandoned ship over there.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Apparently Horde is going all in on Fade - they're abandoning their sov in Querious entirely and moving the whole corp into the North.

"The goons Did A Thing years ago and won - we need to Do The Same Thing so we will win!"

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Fade is like half the size of Querious :confused:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Shouldn't you update your avatar at this point...?

Why bother, it'll be accurate again in a couple of months :smug:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

jm20 posted:

How do you feel about turning Goons into BoB?

I'm not sure this will ever not be funny.

What do people actually think BoB were that resembles modern goons/GSF/Teh Imperium/whateverthefuck in any way? Is this simply a 'BoB were bipedal carbon based life forms and so are goons ERGO' thing?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

The metaphor "calling a spade a spade" has been racist for a long rear end time now. Spade has been a term for a black person since the 1800s. Sorry you're too loving ignorant to know this. Here's an article to back me up incase you're too stupid to know this to begin with.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

Somebody get on the phone to Amazon and tell them about the appalling racism on their store

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=spade&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aspade

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

did anything interesting get discussed/revealed on CCP's dumb show or was it the usual hour of bad memes and autofellatio?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

harlyq posted:

I am deciding on logging on all my guys soon and making a run for saranenan.would be awesome seeing a mackinaw fleet with all ore strip miners making a run from e-fico out. Then just using them in high sec for mining I feel dirty just thinking it.

Probing yourself a wormhole to highsec would likely be a safer plan than a Channel Dash through Pure Blind.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

War Eagle posted:

I don't think anyone really believes we're going to take AND hold all of our old space, the new mechanics would make it a nightmare of constant pings for defense ops and entosis ships. As someone who has personally gone through hundreds of units of Stront in the last couple of months, I can confidently say that everyone hates that mechanic and wants to avoid it as much as possible.

We've been pretty explicit that future holdings are based on proximity to Saranen and anything more than a couple of bridges or a couple of dozen stargates from there isn't realistic to conquer and keep under the current sov/jump fatigue mechanics.

e: which is not to say there's nothing that can be done to make life difficult for anyone else who does try to live in other parts of the galaxy :black101:

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 23, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Drythe posted:

Sov sounds bad

Everyone move to Sisi already, its the true end game

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Has there been any update on Empires Of Eve getting a dead-tree print release outside of the US? E-books irritate me for some reason.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Oh wow the luck at the battle with Lotka Volterra with being able to get all the ships into position and then log off. Good grief I am biting my nails!

Lotka Volterra was my first war, I was a confused newbie bumbling around Scalding Pass in a kestrel and not knowing what the gently caress whilst exploding alot.

I had some old Remedial/Mittani State Of The Goonion recordings from this time which I'm not sure are on our wiki or anywhere else public but the mp3 player I stored them on has died in a fire :saddowns:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Reverand maynard posted:

CCP devs were heavily invested into their own game with the older devs being weird try hard Icelandic spergs.

CCP were going through an awkward transition period from 'small group of vikings working on crazy internet game hobby project that might go nowhere' to 'large serious business company that employs a shitload of people and has real world responsibilities' and the T20 thing was a good example of what happens when you fail to adapt accordingly. T20 was treating Eve like he was the admin on a counterstrike server spawning AWPs for his buddies and it didn't really matter, so when a whole load of people stood up and said 'uhh what the loving hell is this' and CCP's name was suddenly being dragged through the mud in the gaming press they were completely blindsided by it.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I feel a bit bad for Lotka Volterra. It wasn't their fault the server crashed before the JV1V-0 battle. I wonder how different things would have been.

JV1V was always going to be a shitshow of servers catching fire given the hardware and code Eve was running on back then compared to now, everyone knew going in that the main fight would be to connect to the game.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

After MAX2/H-W the NC basically came to the conclusion that their blob could beat anything, so they just focused on building up the blob.

This meant that their idiotic D-Team (which was a lot of ex-Atlas/AAA and ex-pets of those groups) were suddenly living in Geminate and Vale, and wanting space. They started pushing into the drone regions thinking that MM/Razor would bail them out when push came to shove, but when that moment happened the russians+PL came out on top.

This is also the point where GSF and the other north-western sov holders really start redefining themselves as DekCo/CFC rather than getting dragged into a position where they're shoving their cocks into the Russian meatgrinder for the benefit of Mostly Harmless and OWN Alliance.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

if the NC had actually succeeded against the russians

lol

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

The ASCN Titan wreck is pretty much in the middle of nowhere but it's a moderately low-risk trip in a fast frigate since that part of Eve is pretty quiet.

Training cloaking and Covert Ops skills would be a good idea if you're planning on making a habit of lowsec/0.0 sightseeing trips.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Goatman Sacks posted:

While we're on history discussion, wasn't it us that first figured out how to use mass bombs to delete clumped fleets? I want to say that I saw a youtube from one of the north wars where Mr Vee tried the first successful bombing run and utterly devastated a battleship fleet

Back in the gap between Eurosquad (rip) and EG (rip) and before the sov loss in Delve Vee was running bomberwaffe and fully evaporating IT Alliance and Stain Bloc fleets to great effect.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Goatman Sacks posted:

For some reason TISHU comes across to me as the biggest douches in the entire MBC - worse than TEST, worse than the biggest GSF haters in EO, worse than NC.

It's probably the folks in .DIX.

Even by r/eve standards TISHU come across as immensely edgy tryhards with nothing to back it up

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Orions Lord posted:

Sorry to tell you VG but you will be transformed into a evil killer it just takes some time.
It's a slow process but we will succeed.

His inevitable shuttle death on the journey down to Esoteria and the Steve wreck will be the tipping point into bloodlust.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Wait did this guy actually file a police report about IWI

bluegoon posted:

Nice seeing GSF turn into absolute normie poo poo.

normies iskies mommyship toons

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

this is the best meltdown we've had in a while, thank you

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

bluegoon posted:

Now if you faggots will excuse me, I'm going to watch 50 shades of grey with my wife.

whatever you say mr unironic anime 'tar

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

FYI we did a purge at least as recently ago as last September since that's the kick date on one of my old inactives.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

The only way I see retaining inactives being actively harmful is if your leadership believes its own poo poo and assumes that because there's 2,000 names in your corp that you have that many ready and willing to show up for your next war.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

The problem with Fozzie is that he was up to his eyeballs in Alliance Tournament poo poo for years and so is convinced that Eve should be all about AT style honourable smallgang gudfites and that if you don't agree then you're sandboxing wrong and need to be punished.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

bluegoon posted:

That ticking timebomb isn't going to solve itself, goonfleet, get swole. Brought to you by Zoolanders brother.

Please do not fit-shame

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Hi nobody should care about the specifics of Zeph's gender identity can we stop talking about it now ok thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

evilweasel posted:

we will fight to the last and keep goons out of deklein forev...pl leaving, you say, why, look at the time, i've got to be in geminate by nightfall, toodeloo

Is this a victory evacuation?

• Locked thread