Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

cravius posted:

He doesn't do anything either. (Except puppetmaster every single thing ~the enemy~ does)

Macavity the Mystery Poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Helicon One posted:

I broadly agree, but consolidating nullsec groups into smaller territories will just mean you get less friction between groups competing for space, if you don't have either a growing server population or an increased incentive to go out there and fight for that space. CCP seems to have based Aegis sov on ignoring those two realities, pretending that if only the big evil coalitions weren't squatting on all that space, nullsec would be unshackled and we'd see some glorious smallgang 0.0 PVPtopia of good fights on every gate. The other option is that they know the reality all too well, but are actively trying to starve the beast of large scale warfare and territorial conquest, because they intend to pivot the game towards a new audience who are here for the Fun Per Hour and demand content on a plate without any of the unpleasantries.

I dunno: Querious, Delve and Fountain are already patchworks which, until everyone with a pulse and a penchant for PvP headed north, had quite healthy numbers of fights. Even in the last 24 hours Querious had about 800 kills. Cloud Ring and other regions may well be similar but I am less aware of what's going on there.

As regards trying to get rid of the unpleasantries and increasing the "fun per hour", maybe that's a good aim for a game developer to have for their product?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Unfunny Poster posted:

I sort of feel like its cheating to use Querious as an example as that's a thunderdome with NIPs regarding sov structures.

That's a sandbox for you.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

LegoMan posted:

I still have my sesfan sig in my bio in case he ever comes back.

:same:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

i don't want to go find it again but didn't it have a long odd defense of "ironic racism"? i forget where he went from there but i do remember that part.

What he said was a bit different: the guy seemed to be saying that goons did ironic racism (so edgy) and he thought that that was fine because the shared and sacred bond of ten dollars meant that we all knew it was actually intended as a scathing critique of the outdated and outmoded structures of control in the pre-bellum South, but that since there are only about eleven goons left in GSF now it was just aped by incomers who didn't realise what sharp-tongued gadflies goons were being and who just thought that saying "darky" made them funny and that it would make them fit in.

Goatman Sacks posted:

So basically his article was the TMC equivalent of that Richter Belmont soundcloud

In no way.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

:rolleye: welcome to 2009 population: reddit and those who regurgitate it

ok great autismo

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Goatman Sacks posted:

so 10 more than BAT?

I've not done a census but offhand I can think of eight or nine - it increased a bit when the EG refugees started coming across - which is a respectable 25% or so. Also other folks like Hendrick and a few of the EO guys hang out in our comms so that boosts it a little. It's a fine little ghetto.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

He was only about 5 months early there.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

BigPaddy posted:

Serious Post: Yeah that happens and with some targets we do a 3-4 drive buys before the target is dead. Usually things like hacking cruisers and battle cruisers. It is for hit and run fights rather than stand up fleet battles but those do happen. Last week we killed a corm fleet and a frigate fleet in O1Y and you end up trading 50-100 kills for 5-10 interceptors so not exactly efficient at that. But for having 50 dudes zooming about dropping on ratters and hackers it is great and a strategic objective as ratting raises ADMs. Ultimatly is it fun and does it meet the objectives it is used for? I would say yes and so would a a good number of people since that join them is between 75 to 150 multiple times a day.

That's not the strategic point of them: what's left of the imperium won't be saved by whether it can keep ADMs down because they can somehow hold a grid for 14 minutes but not 26 minutes. The point of them is to give people fun things to do that seem to have a point and keeps them logging into the game and into jabber. If it works then it won't be the first time - it won't even be the second time - that Boat's preternatural ability to just keep on relentlessly optimistically logging-in and entertaining people has saved goonswarm.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

CainFortea posted:

It is far easier to Jack stuff with lower ADMs. Grid holding has very little to do with it. Pitched battles rarely happen, as usually when MBC defends it's with overwhelming numbers.

Also with lower ADMs, the more likely you can ninja a system.

But please, go on about how ADMs have no impact on sov. :allears:

An impressive ability to miss the point, but I'm struggling to state it in simpler terms: the imperium won't recover its sov when it gets ADMs low enough that it can sneakily set a few timers. It'll retake its sov - assuming that happens, which I do - when the balance of forces is sufficient that it doesn't matter if there are a few more minutes to hang around on grid, because they'll kill whatever comes along to try and disrupt enotosing. At that point, as happened in the first part of the war in the other direction, they'll contest a couple of timers then the opposition will gently caress off and the rest will be a dawdle.

Edit: as deadtear said, what I was saying about swordfleets is that they're about keeping people logging in. Not logging in is habit forming.

Endie fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 2, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Orange Red Bull posted:

What Endie and Globby and all the D names + Ordo Garr here are saying is they would like you to form up 500 or 1,000 dudes and present yourselves to be mowed down by 3,000 nerds so they dont have to fruitlessly watch IRC for something to do

What Dan Brown level of reading-between-the-lines conspiracy theorising do you have to employ to get "inty fleets are about keeping people active until the opposition tide recedes and boat will very possibly save you again by doing so" to mean "please fight pitched battles"?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Glory of Arioch posted:

or it'll do it right now, literally as i am typing this

thanks donny

You're allowing the stress of recent weeks to interfere with the chillness of your posting and that is the one true sin in eve warfare.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
OK I wholly accept that you're not chill. Well defended against that charge.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

mlyp

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Glory of Arioch posted:

a shameful edit

On reflection I didn't want your post polluting mine so I removed the quote. The content still stands.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

CainFortea posted:

Hey, I copped to misreading your post.

But as querns said, we are taking it back. Just not in large swaths.

Also my phone corrects to querns because I added it to my dictionary.

Sorry yeah I responded in a fury of typing *then* read the rest of the thread.

As is so often the case: post in haste, repent at leisure.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rhymenoserous posted:

Edie this behavior is beneath you.

I am an embittered man.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
After about 2012 or so illum became dull as hell and was instead used as an attaboy for people who did work, as well as for member-corp CEOs who kept their corps active. As you'd expect with a channel of 50-ish people there were and are leaks so it's natural that important or secret stuff gets discussed in the star chamber, corps diplo, or other more select rooms instead.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

when did bat leave and when did we started getting invaded

now when did the person who got blacklisted leave with the statement "im joining your enemy"

technically a person who went back to PL recently (because he missed ratting - such good timing a few days before M-O...) got kicked pretty quickly but that's understandable since it's wartime and it was fair to presume that he might have been a spy. But yeah, up until we were actively at war there was an open door for bat people to join gsf.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
And Test had a blacklist that was entirely public as far as I remember (it might have been that you needed a forums account but hey, that's not a high bar). It's no news to anyone that I'm critical of various things that the imperium has done but the blacklist is not one of those things..

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

that was my point yes ty also hello endie are you still renovating

I am, yes: I had to delay the addition of the second storey on my house until September, and the sad fact is that I couldn't do it in May-August because I don't have the heart to execute the baby birds in the nests in my current roof when I remove that, so having missed April, it had to be autumn.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

What can possibly go wrong with taking the roof off your house in autumn in a temperate maritime climate?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
The last few pages of this thread is pretty much a series of the following exchanges:

side a: you do a terrible thing society dissapproves of and are thus bad people
side b: well you do it too
side a: do not
side b: here's an example
side a: well you lot do this other terrible thing that society frowns on
side b: tu loving quoque
side a: nuh-uh
sibe b: well here's some example
me: sanctimonius aloofposting

and so on for eternity in the "Eve Online: Well you did it first" thread.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

vyst posted:

I don't know what that means because salt and vinegar is the best flavor chip

One strange thing for your Brit abroad, whether it be in the US or on the continent, is how limited the range of crisp/chip flavours are. In Britain we have literally hundreds of different niche flavours . It's pretty much the finest flowering of English (let's blame them) cuisine. You want marmite crisps or sweetcorn relish-flavoured crisps or spaghetti bolognese or chicken madras then the chance is there for you to ruin your cholesterol levels with each.

All of which rather avoids the stated truth that none of them compare with salt and vinegar.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

you forgot videogames chiming in being :kimchi:

yeah I posted and the post above me was him and I was all ffffuuuuckk I missed that bit

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

CainFortea posted:

Why would you ruin good things like french fries by putting vinegar on them? may as well piss on them.

Come now, we're not the French.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I thought that the gsf smear campaign against gorski at the time of the summit, the "CSM Leaks" account that tried to make it look like Gorski leaked stuff instead of just trolling non-stop (the convos leaked by nanamai or whatever the illum ship-fitting guy is) and the attempt to paint him as a neo-nazi (basically everyone in Sweden posts on that forum, including a few people who are neo-nazis because Sweden has a right-wing problem right now) were all public knowledge? I mean something like seven of the first ten followers of the csm leaks account, within minutes of it starting posting, were illum or tmc staff. I didn't realise that they were using his pictures to try and get more out of game stuff on him but that's hardly a big leap.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

dabigredboat posted:

Oh man this thread just got active lately. Seeing zephrine get all up in arms about what directors did makes me kind of laugh. She is the same person that demanded strategic logistics go through her and only her because she said so. But hey, not getting any love from a drama thread on gsf or reddit, go post on SA maybe that will work.

Hey d-boat there is a slight difference between ingame disagreements and out-of-game smear campaigns.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Rhymenoserous posted:

Do we not just post "shut the gently caress up boat" whenever he posts now?

I don't think it has happened often enough for us to come to a settled consensus.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

endie one of the the things in the xander logs that got leaked because you were dumb enough to use him as your patsy had you smearing sion personally because you were mad at him using details of his personal life you got from tsc

Oh, here we go again. You manage to assert in that statement that I was stupid to talk to xander (I was) because he leaked and also that he was my patsy, suggesting that I wanted him to leak (if you believe that I also have some conspiracies involving the masons and Rosicrucians and shocking new proof that 9/11 was an inside job). Also venting to one person who has promised (however insincerely, as it turns out) that the conversation is private is not a smear campaign in any sane definition of the job. Indiscreet, perhaps. Regrettable, looking back? Certainly. But not a "smear campaign".

Ultimately, The Imperium has a huge issue that it wants to sell itself as a fun gaming community that people should join to feel part of something bigger and where they can meet new friends to game with in Eve and elsewhere etc etc blah blah and yet this very conversation is an example of why it can't work until those in positions of leadership stop acting as unlikable bullies. Nobody wants to join a bunch of people who are increasingly making themselves known as angry and vindictive. To achieve those goals then when people leave tmc/imperium leaders would have to just shrug, laugh, wish good luck (through gritted teeth if needs be) and go back to playing the game and being sociable and likable people with whom others want to be associated.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Retarded Goatee posted:

People get so loving weird and dumb because of this bad video game.

Take a step back from the computer and take a deep breath.

That's a shorter and more catchy version of what I tried to say, yes.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Unfunny Poster posted:

I like this psychoanalysis of what Endie did and why by Evilweasel, professional armchair psychologist.

I like it when he rolls out this version because it reminds me of the poor Jewish guy in the stetl in the 30s whose wife finds him reading Der Sturmer. "Avi, she says, why do you read that filth? It accuses us of every crime under the sun!" Avi replies "it tells me I help run the world banking system, I decide who will fight who and that I get rich off the work of the gentiles: what's not to like?"

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

CainFortea posted:

I can't remember who said it, but i'm gonna quote em.

"It's really easy to speak for the silent majority, they rarely speak up to refute you."

I know some of the directors, and chat with them. I didn't even know Endie was Batcountry until he left and posted his thing. And the fact that he went to join the other bitter ex-girlfriends in PL just kinda sealed the deal. I always like his posts, the man's got a way with words. But I see nothing troubling here. He was the one that wanted the "dirty laundry" aired. Well, now people are being able to say the nasty poo poo he was doing. It's a two way street. If you think someone's being nasty and lovely and say so, don't expect them to continue to ignore the things they feel are nasty or lovely.

It was easy to miss the Bat Country thing as I was in goonwaffe/fleet since 2007: I reformed bat (which was originally my empire war side project for when I got bored shooting POSes in the great war) when we desperately needed numbers in order to recover after the Syndicate/Cloud Ring war, and for a long time I was pretty hands-off there. I only asked for my bee to get changed over in something like early 2014 or so, I think, mainly to help with recruiting since for some reason it seemed to help.

I don't know what you mean about me wanting to see the '"dirty laundry" aired', but it sounds like you might be confusing me being leaked in a private convo with some grand plan "this is suggested by the active "posted his thing" misunderstanding). I've not log-dumped stuff like TSC, and I've tried to stop others doing so, because those channels were groups of (at the time) friends, some of whom said stuff to their friends that would be mortifying to have made public, and that would be wrong. And despite what you say about "nasty poo poo" I haven't really seen much of that happen: there were a few very silly things tried early on but in the main, outside of the SA thread (which is always one post away from an evening charity spergathon, people on both sides of the divide have actually been pretty restrained in general, in public at least. I get mentioned in most of the firesides but I find that kinda flattering, and most experienced folks view it as essentially a pantomime thing.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

shut up goldstein :mad:

heh I did almost mention the Sunday two minute hate element

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Vando posted:

Not as stupid as loving triplequad posting jfc press that ONE EXTRA BUTTON you idiot gently caress

I understand that the posters on FHC also see this as very important and get equally angry about it.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
It's never really struck me as a big deal.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
ymmv

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
^^ You're a good man. I can't be saved, though.

VideoGames posted:

There is a small possibility that I will be able to play more on weekends again if i can run the client on my old iMac. I will be attempting this later today. This could be awesome! :D

Also please don't quad post like that. Just click quote and copy them all to a new post on a new page.

Given the issues with this lovely thread (like, for instance, the lovely, tired and overworked "oh no your name begins with d" meme) someone splitting his responses up (but still posting content) is pretty low down the list of shame.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

weirdo obsessive person who is the posting equivalent of an untuned radio - "lol ur not memorable"

This may be a slight exaggeration but you seem to respond to basically every post despera makes, and always with some variation of the same post. I think your goal is to drive them away but all it has meant is months of "not listening you are a bad poster" posts doubling the bandwidth of every despera post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

its an extreme exaggeration, and whats this months plural poo poo

Well you've managed to make both seem reasonable descriptions. If you don't care then just keep on keeping on, I guess.

• Locked thread