Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* excavator speed nerfed again, yield nerfed again (~10% each)
* mining anomalies now have up to a 5 hour respawn (essentially puts a 15 rorq per system cap)
* light fighters damage nerfed by 20%
* short range fighterbomber nerfed 10%
* long range fighterbomber basic attack nerfed 30%
* rats like to shoot fighters more
* (later) pirate BS build cost increase and BPC drop rate decrease (a good change)

I love when stuff I don't use gets nerfed, the misery of others sustains me :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Catberry posted:

Huh this game has MAGA caps without the text. That's awkward.

Make New Eden Great again.

These Sanshas are coming in, and you know they are not bringing their best people. The are belt rats, they are can stealers, they are gate campers. We need to build a big huge glorious bubble along the empire boarders!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lucifirius posted:

Idk why people bitch about asset safety, it locks assets up if the people you're attacking don't get them moved in time, and while assets are being moved you can kill them.

Wait, I know why. Change is bad, grr goons, grr :ccp:, eve is ded.

They should let the victors loot the assets :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dragonshardz posted:

I was more specifically talking about CO2 but you're not wrong - a healthy EVE is one where there's always a war somewhere.

They should let player alliances to fight CONCORD and capture soverign space from the NPC empires. Also destroy and build new jump gates.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

So you're saying you think they'll try to do so?

Reset the server, put everyone back to 0 Isk and 0 Skills. Let it be the wild west again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lucifirius posted:

Looks like they're going to punish for any abuse, even retroactively.

"You're right, the wording is a bit vague/misleading. To clarify: We are going after past abusers.

While all exploit abuse is bad, we consider any abuse of a publicly declared exploit to be even worse. That's the distinction we were trying to make in the notification. It doesn't mean that we're going to let abuse predating the announcement slide. I apologize for the confusion.

I want to take the opportunity to urge anyone who intentionally abused this issue to come forward by submitting a support ticket.

I also want to make it clear that our objective is to go after those who intentionally abused this exploit.

You have nothing to worry about if you just happened to benefit from this exploit on accident because your account lapsed for a few days. There is a pretty clear distinction between this and a skillpoint farm that's been set up to benefit from this issue."

Bye bye Globby. :smug:

Why are they calling it an "exploit" now? It was an intentional feature when I started playing 8 years ago. An incentive for people to return to the game after a long absence. I mean, if they wanted it to stop it would be very simple. Put a piece of code into the algorithm that activates when an account goes from Omega to Alpha that clears out the training queue. It would be like one line of code.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Yeah the fact that they didn't get fix ghost training months ago indicates that the fix is not so simple.

Or that they didn't want to fix it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DisgracelandUSA posted:

We already had a many page discussion on this in depth, so unless you've got a PhD in software engineering or 10+ years relevant experience, :frogout:

I injected 15 years of software engineering experience just to write that post. It wasn't even that expensive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kzin602 posted:

So I decided to take a look at this game after many years away, I logged in and every player in my LOCAL has bios full of Russian. Currently my character is in JV1V and the navigation systems says i'm some 50 jumps away from highsec space.

At this point what would be the best way to proceed to re-learn the game? I've basically forgotten everything in the past 9+ years. Is this character worth saving? Should I make a break for hisec space? I'm tempted to make a new guy and somehow transfer assets at this point.

Why would you make a new character? You would be starting from scratch and you have pleanty of training on that guy already. I would recommend going to hisec and getting refamiliar with the game, but it should come back quickly. I just starting playing again myself after a 7 year absence, and everything seem pretty similar. The fittings on ships seem to have been changed at some point, and all my Iteraon 3's turned into some stupid trash garbage for hauling planetary material only :argh: Other than that its' pretty much the same.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Traveller posted:

Hey, doing this bad game thing again. Started from scratch as a Caldari alpha, tried my hand at mining to say from experience that it sucks as a solo rookie in a Venture, and bumbled around until I got into FW. Now I'm still space poor, but having fun losing cheap ships and tooling around in lowsec, and my name is on an expensive Deimos killmail somewhere. :shobon:

Is the Griffin Navy Issue as beastly as it looks for plex fights?

You should joins goons in Delve, I've found it a lot safer than anywhere else and there are a lot more opportunities. There will always be people hunting you in EVE, but at least in Goon Space you will hear about them on the Intel channel 4 jumps before they get to you, and you can dock without incident.

Even if you are just mining in Frigate, you will make a lot more mining Arkanor then you will Veldspar.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

This is wrong. High-ends don't sell for dick. They're also huge at 16m3 per unitwhich means your wimpy 64m3 Mining Laser II will only pull 4 units per cycle. Lower end minerals have more refined minerals per m3 than high end stuff.

:shrug:
Maybe the prices have changed since I last played. My Alpha status prevents me from taking out the old mining barge. I found its best to "mine" the belt rats anyway, you get more minerals from the refined loot and the bounties/salvage on top.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

But this chart says mining Arkonor is more than twice as valuable per M^3 than Veldspar? :confused:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Goon posts about how he's getting in cool fights, second goon posts "Oh hey join the swarm you can totally coddle up". Compared to the past where we'd say things like "Yeah jump into the deep end with us and you'll be a better player and maybe kill people too."

I don't understand this new swarm at all.

Welp that's my shitpost from a salty veteran post for the day, someone poke me when we are in a war that doesn't look like two autism babies crying in opposite corners from eachother while screeching about how much they mined today. Thanks and godbless.

A strong economy is the foundation of a strong army.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I only just restarted a few weeks ago, I am very poor. I need to kill those rats to pay for ships and fittings and drones :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Traveller posted:

There is that SOE mission where pirates ask for a big ransom in planetary money, which is given to you as a worthless item called "A Pile Of Money". And I remember a chronicle where a Minmatar fugitive is pleading with the capsuleer piloting the ship he's in not to jettison him into space and offers him like six million bucks from some world. The capsuleer runs the numbers, it comes up to around 3600 ISK, and promptly jettisons the fugitive's hab quarter. The US military budget could fit a small gang, I'd say.

Also, scaring Russian FW farmers is neat, but I wish they'd stay still. At least they get mad on local.

What does it cost to become a capsuleer?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

This thread is taking an odd turn away from retard soapbox derby to space canon discussion, is that an improvement?

EVE online has a really cool hard sci-fi story, which is quite rare for an MMO. Though I am surprised that over the 7 years I have been away they didn't make an expansion out of opening the EVE Gate back to the Milky Way. That seems like such an obvious move.

In fact it doesn't seem like they added much at all since I left. I remember them adding Rorquals, Freighters, Jump Freighters, Tech 3 ships, and Stealth Battleships just before I left. But in the 7 years since I came back they haven't added any ships at all. Just a bunch of skins and other "premium" bullshit content.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reverand maynard posted:

eve doesn't need more regions of space. If anything they need to get rid of some.

Make it a one way trip, give people a chance to conquer some territory outside of the entrenched power blocs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Let player corporations fight CONCORD and the NPC empires for territory :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I know how to fix EVE. Free elusif and legalise RMT and botting.

Anyone caught botting should have their corporation changed to Sansha's Nation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

I remember when you could have two JB's in each system and just bounce bridge to bridge all the way down without ever seeing a gate.

Why did they take this out? Seems like having vital infrastructure to attack would make for more interesting conflicts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Were those ever really even a thing? I remember hearing that back in the day nullsec logistics was literally jamming a carrier full of iterons and the like and that SC's were more useful for logistics than conflict.

No one wants to guard a lovely freighter for 30 jumps. No one ever did that, it's a waste of time/fun. I would rather run missions in empire.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Was the mass-rebalance of the meta-level guns due to happen this summer or did I imagine that?

What do they plan to do with them? Make them weaker?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

Seems like Alpha Clones are really being abused. A lot of Syndicate pipes now are populated with the watchful eyes of alphas who are camping systems and watching traffic. Did CCP not know people in corps could easily multibox or run up a bunch of VM's and set up eyes on vast amounts of space with a bit of effort? Going a little further with some creative programming and scripting, it would be easy to start identifying player travel patterns or follow a player, groups or corps around in realtime without having scouts in ships. They might as well as just opened up the API data and saved effort. CCP never fails to impress me with their ability to smash themselves in the nuts.

You could always do this with trial accounts, there is no difference. Alphas are good and the change was good.

working mom posted:

Give them each different "roles" instead of being just a bettering progression, such as less fitting room, less cap usage, more ammo stored etc

I like that. It might mean I get more money from my rat loot!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lansoc posted:

So just a random gsf corp lol.. time to go shopping I guess.. Still selling assets in my current home.

Join Groon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

retards with no structures of their own think that existing structure havers will continue to store everything and anything in a citadel if it is full loot, and seem incapable of understanding the basic risk avoidance behavior of keeping poo poo in NPC

they're also wrong about it driving PVP -- engineering complexes are already partial loot, right now, yet no one seems to care about that

If you could loot assets from Citadels i think it would eventually result in one alliance dominating all nullsec. As it stands you can't really "defeat" a large alliance entirely, because a large portion of their wealth/ships are safe when docked. If you could loot citadels this would change.

It would be possible to break the back of an alliance by stealing all of their wealth generating ships/blueprints. It would also give the conquering alliance a huge boon in resources. These resources could then be used to continue conquering, until only one alliance remains.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

It would mean a return to staging in NPC lowsec stations. Full stop.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

nah

we'd just put all our trash in NPC stations and shrug dismissively at the concept of using a player-built structure for anything more than a safe cyno spot or supercap logoff spot

Catberry posted:

No one would put anything worth losing into structures like that.

This problem could be solved by making HiSec NPC stations conquerable as well :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hello I'm a giant idiot that also played eve when I was like 15 and now I have an itch to fly cool space ships around. I'd like to carve out a little niche mining and then producing stuff, maybe even build up a cool blueprint or two or something.

Is this naive and hopeless and all the best stuff is already done? Should I just rush a bunch of combat skills and join a corp to be fodder or spend the rest of my days getting suicide dunked mining in high sec for the killmail until I move on to another game?

I don't need a full guide, I just want a veteran take on whether within a month or two I could manage an industrial presence that's not meeting ore Buy Orders. I'll probably join a corp once I have a handle on what the poo poo I'm doing, but I don't want to feel like I'm wasting time if I join some corp that just goes "yeah we've got a guy for that already."

Come to Delve and start building medium tech 1 blasters so I can buy some.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I just didn't want to dump a month of training and learning into the industry or markets to find out that there's no money to be made because 10 dudes who've been playing 10 years can blow you out of the market and there's no room to compete.

There is always room to compete, you just have to find an out of the way corner of space. The further from Jita you get the higher the profit margins of industry.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blasphemaster posted:

Try taking up homebrewing. The initial equipment investment and loss from trial and error is significant but the gains once you get the hang of it are amazing. I recommend focusing on meads and fruit wines.

A home still added to this setup can improve the efficiency quite a bit. Compressed alcohol is much easier to transport.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Catberry posted:

When are we going to retake the north and burn it to the ground on principle?

Isn't Delve the best space in the game anyway? Why bother conquering more?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tibalt posted:

Man when they make Eve 2 I really hope it keeps a lot of the good stuff from W-space.

Why would they need to make EVE 2? EVE works great and the graphics get regular updates.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reverand maynard posted:

the engine the game runs on was showing its age 10 years ago. The tick rate of the server of like .5 seconds

The graphics engine the game used 10 years ago was an entirely differant engine. I remember when they upgraded it and required a card with shaders (because my computer was poo poo at the time and I had to stop playing :()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

He's talking about the server software and how that either limits or allows us to exploit interactions with the game.

I doubt anyone could make such a huge MMO run any better than EVE already does.

• Locked thread