Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ceaselessfuture posted:

As a complete outsider who has been somewhat interested in getting involved in EVE, I really appreciate this thread because it will give me some info that the other one didn't and the neutrality of it, but that being said, EVE drama (Imperium/MBC stuff, specifically) is why I might be joining in the first place, so my question is if there will be any discussion on the meta-story in this thread, or do I have to go to RockPaperShotgun or wherever.

Genuine curiosity, not trying to stir any poo poo!

It's going to be very hard to find neutrality in this thread. The previous one only had problems because people like to poo poo it up since they can't destroy us in game.

Basically if the dude with the Flanders AV says it, it's legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

alright so now can someone post, with as little bias as possible, whats happening with gsf and their space

Since you specifically asked, no.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Links are dumb. Just delete them all.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

US109 posted:

On-grid links are still an interesting force multiplier outside of Command Ship fleets

Eh. The problem with links as a force multiplier is that it's the new normal. Fleets rarely undock without them. And if you lose them, you can't stand on the field without a large advantage. A lot of fleet comps only work with links. Fleets often have to wait for links, which just slows everything down.

Also, how does it count as interesting? Flying a domi and assigning drones was more engaging gameplay than links.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What are you talking about? We don't have that. That's only for doing strategic reimbursement fleet stuff.

gently caress, like day old newbies lead fleets.

Edit: I have had fleets dumped on my lap and I am vehemently not space important or vetted, or good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cravius posted:

Dont you have to be in a Skirmish Commander SIG to get a fleet ping?

Or just ask in Elysium. Skirmish commander is not a hoop you jump through. It's there for people who want to learn to FC to do so.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is sothrasil that German dude who's all "don't argue with me" when you try to point out freemovr wasn't turned on?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ullerrm posted:

Doubly ironic since Querns is out soloing at the moment in an RLML Rapier. :getin:

I loving love killing horde in my rapier. It's just not enough DPS to go after their cruisers. But ganking their destroyers and moonwalking when the fleet lands never gets old.

Also, if anyone wardecs Video game's Corp, the loving war would be put on hold to stomp them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i might, the days when loving zataaki "laser raven" was right

I still have my Zataaki Zealot stuffed away in delve somewhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Despera posted:

On sisi yes

Just checked. It's still today on sisi.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

that's up to you to stop posting

I would say "You'll never beat me again" but, well, you will. You post a lot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

holy revisionist history batman. Ya'all posting as if PL loving off is some kind of weird hail mary pass that has never happened before.

It's your MO. Once the dankest of frags dry up, gotta go practice for the AT later nerds.....

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dadbuck posted:

While you are giving out free advice, here is some for you.

Look at the OP's post too http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773671&pagenumber=1

Your comments are not very chill.

You, daruna, despera all of you d guys are really bad at words. Ya'all should word more in practice, before trying to word in front of other people.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

causticBeet posted:

So when are they going to shrink the map? Honestly just morph 30% of the random rear end dead end pockets that have like one dude botting some retrievers into one big gently caress off system with a few stars like 400au apart.

Nullsec will continue to decrease in population as the overall population decreases and at a certain point it's the only way to unfuck the player density.

That's a big problem with the whole "small independent groups" target that CCP is pushing so hard. The way the map is setup, you can't have a bunch of little dudes who aren't blue to eachother and still effectively use the space. Just squishing it will undo what little good came from space aids.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

I don't know if anything's changed but my limited experience with "big" battles from 8 years ago was lag, wondering if my modules were going to actually activate, more lag, making a sandwich and drinking a beer or three, people yelling, more people whining about lag, and lag

edit: and I forgot the joy of jumping for like two hours to the final staging point, space aids must have made that lovely

Tidi makes everything slow down evenly, so no more black screen for 3 hours and waking up in a pod. Sometimes there is a long load time, but usually you can still load grid. Since things are so much slower, there's a lot more methodical thought into targets and actions and things. And you can pop off for a cigarette or piss or sandwich or whatever and not really miss anything in the big fleets.

People bitch about TiDi, and that is basically the biggest indicator that they've never known the suffering that was pre-TiDi 1000 man fleet battles.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cravius posted:

Lotta hate over a video game itt

Yea, what's up with you guys doin that?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ullerrm posted:

On a positive note, I managed to find a unicorn today in the ship skin collection -- got one of the Guristas Scorpion skins for a hair under 10B. (They weren't meant to be released, but were accidentally bundled in with some PLEX offer; there's less than 20 of them in the game at the moment.) That leaves pretty much two hyper-expensive rare skin on my list: the Umbral Nyx, and the Palatine Capsule.

Everything else is gettable through the NEX store if I want to get it. (I'm putting off completing my collection for now because some of the skins are stupidly ugly and not worth giving CCP money, especially when it comes to the Tronhadar Ink skins.)

They gave us these lovely skins for way too much money.

But then they put loving awesome skins on the chinese server, which can't be had for any amount of money on our servers. It's just silly.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This cat looks just like my girlfriend's cat and acts like it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

humans are assholes. Confirmed

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

ahaha that elephant racked its dong hardcore

Why you scoping out elephant dong?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lack of Gravitas posted:

They were making one of these by

except it was going into a USB stick and I don't think the guy was going to be in any state to care about his passions or sources of income once they were finished with him :ohdear:

The constant in EVE fiction is that the whole universe is hosed up and especially even more so when it concerns capsuleers. Bodysnatchers kidnapping talented civilians to make implants for capsuleers is no big deal when there are teeming trillions of civilians to choose from and the amount of wealth a capsuleer can amass is more like that of a government rather than an individual.

The story that went with planetary interaction when it released had a planetary governor trying to negotiate for like a 6-month transition of industry and management with a capsuleer, who responded by lighting up the city with rangefinder lasers and giving the governor 30 minutes to evacuate a city before orbital bombardment and prefabricated starports started landing.

I like this story about what goes on in your station containers with all the janitors, exotic dancers, VIP's, and marines that you pick up along the way, though.

Or how your ships are crewed. And even though they have lifeboats, there are always some who don't make it out alive. I think someone did the math and figured that even assuming high survival rates of the crew, B-R killed billions of crewmen.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gods with questionable planning skills in charge of weapons that fire voltswagen bus sized bullets.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Xolve posted:

Can you tell me what that is in Escalades?

I refuse your silly German measuring mechanics.

Well, mass wise that's about .6 Escalades. Volume wise, very similar dimensions.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Drythe posted:

I need this poo poo in Ford F-150s please

Never been out of alabama or something?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ahh, remember back before B-R when grath and other PL dudes said that a good balance for titans was that they should be able to kill anything smaller and not be killed by anything less than more titans?

And then after B-R that kind of talk got much smaller.

Now they have majority again, I wonder what stance they'll take.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

the new sov system is a vast improvement because the previous one was just an escalation challenge

Um, no. If there is one dude entosising command nodes, you go get another dude and the two of you get nodes. You win. If 10 mallers are on a station, go get 20 caracals to make them gently caress off.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

VideoGames posted:

:downs:

I'm currently reading all the Local Jita stuff and absolutely everything appears to be a scam of some sort. If you click the contracts then nothing matches up with what is said in chat. It's quite crazy! Some guy is saying I want to sell 6 plexs for 6 million but if you open that contract it says he will give you 6 million for you giving him 6 plexs! So cheeky!

Do not buy, sell, trade, or in any way interact with anything you see in Jita local. If it doesn't look like a scam, it's just a scam with mechanics you aren't familiar with.

edit: okay, so people got there first. I was just in a rush to make sure you didn't get scammed. Also, another one to watch for is people listing things for much more than normal, or buying things that are much cheaper. Sometimes it's easy to look at something selling for billions and think it's millions. Or selling stuff for thousands when you wanted to sell it for millions.

Probably not this early in your eve game life, but it's something to watch for. I think most people here have been caught by it at least once.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 30, 2016

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^^^
Because DJ posts more on Reddit for his ~true goon~ Corp than on SA. :thejoke:

Xolve posted:

I think it's more to do with bringing PL a fight has no downsides for PL, as more often than not- we'd absolutely take the fight.

Also- it's pretty easy to back out of a coalition we were never really formally a part of (N3) and continue the Tech/Rental Cartel isk printing (B0TLRD).

Um, you guys pick and chose your fights just as much as everyone else.

And there is always a downside, cause when PL gets their nose bloodied hard, they go ride bikes and give up the strategic goals. It's so normal that it spawned a catch phrase.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 30, 2016

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Xolve posted:

Totally different than pouting in Low Sec though, amirite?

You act like this move to lowsec is a new thing. Or that fights aren't happening.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Umm, did that crazy dude just say we can't live without access to jita? Cause :psyduck: if he did.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just ignore the dudes moving freighters full of poo poo around to do production or export. Not JFs. Regular freighters.

No one lives without importation from jita. But we got pretty good at local sourcing.

The theta mating call was "I'm so wasted and I have tritanium!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

:ullerrm: question.

With Pyfa, the graphs section has a drop down at the top that says DPS. This implies you can graph different things. But I can't find a way to actually do that. You know of any way to graph alpha instead of DPS? I mean, I can do the math by hand and all but it's slow and annoying and I prefer graphs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What FC left?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JanIrvam posted:

Hey so I just shelled out the money to check out these forums mainly to get intel and figure out this whole goon thing. Rather than being smart and skulking quietly I just decided to blather some dumb stuff.

So after looking at these SA forums for a bit, like is there no complete forum or house of threads for Eve Online? Like all the Eve goon blather is going to be on the Goonswarm forums and all? Like not a lot of Eve crap actually happens here?

I finally decided to pay money and check out SA because Mittens is constantly saying that "our forums are so much better than /r/Eve" and all. But I am looking at the SA forums and I don't see any easily identifiable Eve goon place.

Oh, and does having this account make me a goon? I can't freaking stand Goonswarm.

:cripes:

I mean, I kinda half don't believe it. But I want it to be true.

For reals tho dude, see any vote buttons? That answers the question as to why /r/eve is poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's for the whole thread. Not individual posts. You know what I meant. :colbert:

Also we have smilies. Fuckin awesome smilies. :huh:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They got rid of the best smilie too, the one that commemorated the second best thread to ever grace this forum.

bye :scax:, you'll always be in my heart.

:smith:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JanIrvam posted:

I actually do love that. I'm basically done with /r/Eve.

Sorry to dismay the other guy, but internet spaceships are real. Nothing else is. So seriously, if I wanna talk internet spaceships, is there a place to do that on the SA forums?

drat, I was hoping you were real. :parrot:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Deadtear, I forgot what PunGate was about. What was it about?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

i deleted a really really bad pun from a diplo post(one of an innumerable amount but it was the worst and was such a stretch it cant even be a pun tbh), but the forum software is REALLY loving BAD and choked and hosed up the post formatting irrevocably, kesper or whoever had it saved so nbd (i still got rid of the lovely pun but didn't gently caress up the formatting the second time) but sion leapt into action as much as someone whose voice sounds like watching paint dry can

people told me sion was looking for a reason to oust me and it was unfortunate that's what i got hit on but i cant bring myself to care beyond laughing at how much that dude is a wiener

Do you remember the pun?

Also, Dalael, all standards are arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Endie posted:

That's not the strategic point of them: what's left of the imperium won't be saved by whether it can keep ADMs down because they can somehow hold a grid for 14 minutes but not 26 minutes. The point of them is to give people fun things to do that seem to have a point and keeps them logging into the game and into jabber. If it works then it won't be the first time - it won't even be the second time - that Boat's preternatural ability to just keep on relentlessly optimistically logging-in and entertaining people has saved goonswarm.

It is far easier to Jack stuff with lower ADMs. Grid holding has very little to do with it. Pitched battles rarely happen, as usually when MBC defends it's with overwhelming numbers.

Also with lower ADMs, the more likely you can ninja a system.

But please, go on about how ADMs have no impact on sov. :allears:

• Locked thread