Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Servers back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

Servers back up.

Or not.

Tried to match make. Everything went grey for 3 minutes. Now I can't log back in.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

deathbagel posted:

Hahaha I was in that stream too, it prompted much talk about excrement.

I was getting excited when two other people joined me, thinking I was going to get everyone doing it.

Oh well, excited that you can ram people in this.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, looks like they poo poo the bed again.

m.hache posted:

Or not.

Tried to match make. Everything went grey for 3 minutes. Now I can't log back in.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I'm also unable to log in, although the market was working briefly for me before the server poo poo the bed.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Jorge Bell posted:

I'm also unable to log in, although the market was working briefly for me before the server poo poo the bed.

Server probably can't handle the load, at least it happened in beta. :D

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I have 3 keys to give out to enterprising goons who want to contribute anything to my super awesome OP.

Panopticon01
Jul 29, 2006

The All-Seeing Eye

Drewjitsu posted:

I have 3 keys to give out to enterprising goons who want to contribute anything to my super awesome OP.

Count me in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7f8WVf9mLU - perks of buying the packs.

Panopticon01 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 29, 2016

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Got one from m.hache but I have a goon friend on vacation that has wanted to play this game for a year.

I can help the OP by passive aggressively criticizing it. For instance.

That's not a Gora :smugdog:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dammit. I thought that was the heavy destroyer!

TheBigGinger
Dec 6, 2012
I was pressured to post. Blame Rev. Duo'd with a punch of pubbies.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Drewjitsu posted:

Don't particularly need a key but I've played this for a bit and can contribute something. You want a breakdown on the ships, the modules or basic strategies?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Being a Tac Cruiser is more fun than I thought it would be.

It would be nice to have a bit more support and not just be a healbot.

I'm pretty skeptical of the way they have the upgrades for the Tac Cruiser as well. With having heal/support options in each slot I'm going to guess that Tac Cruisers will be pushed to go full healbot. If they dedicated a slot or two to utility and the Tac cruisers own combat stuff it would help alleviate some of the pubbie pressure.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Don't particularly need a key but I've played this for a bit and can contribute something. You want a breakdown on the ships, the modules or basic strategies?

Hit me with what ya got.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Drewjitsu posted:

I can certainly help by providing sweet screenshots of actual in-game ships. (Along with what Kuvo is offering. Double the opinion! Same price!)

Here's some samples from a different but also pretty space game.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 29, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I haven't bought it yet, and I have a question. Is it possible to minimize the HUD or make it more transparent? I think the game looks amazing, but the overlay is a major turn-off. There's no reason for all that poo poo to be in the center of the screen and at that size.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 29, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Donnerberg posted:

I haven't bought it yet, and I have a question. Is it possible to minimize the HUD or make it more transparent? I think the game looks amazing, but the overlay is a major turn-off. There's no reason for all that poo poo to be in the center of the screen and at that size.

Options are pretty sparse at the moment, however I guarantee that it's hardly noticeable in game. This game functions closer to mmo style combat than fps because your mixing health and energy management on top of situational awareness, aim is the least essential skill.

Foodchain
Oct 13, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

If you have any left I would like one. I'll make some gifs of poo poo blowing up

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Any thoughts on whether the Founder's packs will be worth it? I have not been able to get in on early access until this new closed beta started and then the servers went offline last night.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Vendictus Prime posted:

Any thoughts on whether the Founder's packs will be worth it? I have not been able to get in on early access until this new closed beta started and then the servers went offline last night.

$10 bucks is fine as long as you like arena shooters with engaging but somewhat shallow gameplay.

$40 is for wishful thinkers who hope this game will take off, even then all you'll get is a month of premium time and some non-customizable hero ships of which we have no clue if they offer any bonuses.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
The game is slow, boring, and has some of the worst voice acting I have ever heard. I can poo poo all over any other ship class warping around with a corvette. Any other ship just feels slow and useless. I got killed ONE time in the last hour and a half because I warped into a plasma broadside.

I might enjoy annoying people if this is F2P, but I wouldn't pay any money for it.

Edit: Just my 2 cents. If you like the game, play it and have a blast, just putting my thoughts out there. The main one being, git gud with a corvette and rain devastation down on everyone.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 29, 2016

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Corvettes are crazy op in pubbie games with no coordination on the other team.

They dramatically decrease in effectiveness when people know what they are doing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The game desperately needs abilities that are more complex than "DO X DAMAGE TO TARGET".

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'm going 5+ kills zero deaths in Corvettes and getting like 4th and 5th score placement. What the heck? I think I should get mega points for blowing people the gently caress up without dying.

bear is driving! posted:

The game is slow, boring, and has some of the worst voice acting I have ever heard. I can poo poo all over any other ship class warping around with a corvette. Any other ship just feels slow and useless. I got killed ONE time in the last hour and a half because I warped into a plasma broadside.

I might enjoy annoying people if this is F2P, but I wouldn't pay any money for it.

Edit: Just my 2 cents. If you like the game, play it and have a blast, just putting my thoughts out there. The main one being, git gud with a corvette and rain devastation down on everyone.

Corvettes don't always work against good players. If everyone is in a turtle-ball with big ships it's pretty much a death sentence to go near them. Also stealth 4 lyfe. As long as you are pointing in a good direction after you blow somebody up, you get away with F1 and afterburners.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Royal Scrub posted:

I'm going 5+ kills zero deaths in Corvettes and getting like 4th and 5th score placement. What the heck? I think I should get mega points for blowing people the gently caress up without dying.
Healbotting prints points.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Drewjitsu posted:

Corvettes are crazy op in pubbie games with no coordination on the other team.

They dramatically decrease in effectiveness when people know what they are doing.

I've had a lot of fun lately baiting and wrecking corvettes in my Nox (the light artillery cruiser). 90% of corvette pilots have no idea what to do when I use dive maneuver or successfully shield their attacks.

Xae posted:

The game desperately needs abilities that are more complex than "DO X DAMAGE TO TARGET".

off the top of my head there's abilities that drain ship energy, add time to enemy ability cooldowns, reduce enemy ship speed, blind enemy ships, pull enemy ships towards you, buff your teams attack speed, self buffs for your armor and energy, self buffs to prevent incoming missiles, and several different flavors of heals for your team.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

bear is driving! posted:

It's f2p and all the voice acting is placeholder stuff they did themselves.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Near the end of the Alphas, it was becoming hard to solo other players as a corvette because everyone caught on.

It seems this will be the entry-level for skill in this game, are you being situationally aware and hugging teammates? Or are you the sniper in the back trying to solo across the map?

It's also worth noting that corvette-hunting corvettes will start to appear as people gain access to them through leveling, those things can't solo bigger ships, but they sure can kill stealth corvettes.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I played a lot last night, and here are my thoughts:

The expensive Founder pack gives a noticeable immediate advantage with its ships, as many of them are outfitted with abilities that aren't normally unlocked until levels ranging from 11 to 45 - as much as the abilities are supposed to be side-grades, there are a few that are straight upgrades that make a huge difference in the way ships feel. That said, the free ships and ones you customize yourself are perfectly serviceable, if lacking in module/officer training synergy out of the box.

Tac Cruiser (medic) ships have huge impacts of the amount of punishment your team can take. The Hero Tac Cruiser's heavy heal beam, particularly when using the weapons boost, can out heal multiple sources of damage on a destroyer or dreadnought or sustain multiple ships simultaneously. Its engine boost Officer Training (engine rigger) gives it loads of maneuverability at the cost of higher energy consumption, which it has plenty of due to another Officer Training that boosts your energy as you heal, which you're constantly doing because of the absurd range of the heavy heal beam. Even the normal medium healer you have unlocked by default can tip the scales in your favor during a punch-out between two big boys, but nothing like the Hero ship.

Corvettes are horrible bastards when you're healing or playing artillary. Their specific purpose is to swoop in and one-volley you. Again, the Hero ship's loadout is optimal for this, but even normal ones can gank like sons of bitches.

Artillary Cruisers are fantastic glass cannons. Their amazing range and burst damage makes them a threat to anything in their line of sight. If there's more than one on a team, it becomes extremely important to hug terrain, and the Hero/purchased model (the light one) has a 360 degree firing arc, so you're still dangerous up close as long as you're not getting focus-fired. The Hero version's skill, rapid-fire, is my favorite way of smashing cocky corvettes.

Destroyers are great and can be used as either missile boats or rammers, lots of versatility in builds with the different abilities. I lean more towards missile boats since it's easier to duck back and rely on teammates for healing between volleys, but I've seen them used very effectively either way.

Still haven't played enough dreadnoughts to get a feel for them, but even the auto-attack packs a punch. Nukes are incredibly satisfying to use to break up enemy clusters, but as people continue to level you'll probably see more anti-nuke lasers depending on the meta. I know I've got one on my rarely pulled non-hero Tac Cruiser.

The game has a lot of great emphasis on movement, energy management, and the mechanics are just deep enough to let you look for lots of synergistic effects from your modules and Officer Training, without removing the focus on the core gameplay. Loving it so far.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Of the hero ship loadouts:

The corvette is the medium, ideal for killing other corvettes with it's good firing arcs and decent range. It has some weird skills (Mine laying? really?), but I love the Fulgora anyhow so it's still fun.

The heavy tactical is OP as hell, and iirc the hero loadout isn't even close to the best setup you can have on it. But even as is, it's extremely beastly. Even a light corvette with full damage boosts in all possible slots can't one round you, either, with just power to shields. Not to mention armor boosts, self repairs, or other tools tacs can get. Even with it's max range on healing getting cut in half, the heavy tac is just silly.

I've never been a fan of the light arty "skirmisher" style compared to the heavy (I don't even remember what they changed the name to, it used to be Vindicator I think), because burst damage is king (as usual) and the heavy arty has it in spades

The best parts about the hero ships are the two officer skills you mentioned though, for sure- Engine rigger is probably the most key skill for every ship out there. Double your boost speed for only 75% increase in energy both gets you where you need to be faster, and takes less overall energy in the end. Which of course offers great synergy with the "Gain energy when healing or being healed" module.

I'm really sad they moved engine rigger up to level 34 instead of unlocking at the low 20s with the last set of 5 ships.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kuvo posted:

off the top of my head there's abilities that drain ship energy, add time to enemy ability cooldowns, reduce enemy ship speed, blind enemy ships, pull enemy ships towards you, buff your teams attack speed, self buffs for your armor and energy, self buffs to prevent incoming missiles, and several different flavors of heals for your team.

They need to be available at lower levels.

I don't want to have to grind 30 levels to get neat abilities.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea the unlock tree is not great. It's been shaken up a few times already but it needs more shakes. Either nothing needs to be a fundamental requirement, or they all need to be available within the first 15 levels or so.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

Yea the unlock tree is not great. It's been shaken up a few times already but it needs more shakes. Either nothing needs to be a fundamental requirement, or they all need to be available within the first 15 levels or so.

That's the problem with F2P games, locking poo poo deep in the leveling system to encourage players to purchase exp boosters.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I would definitely advise anyone who likes vettes to have a secondary not go fast build. I still feel cloak is mostly pointless but when they start blobbing up with big ships sneaking to skill their tac cruisers is pretty good.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sedisp posted:

I would definitely advise anyone who likes vettes to have a secondary not go fast build. I still feel cloak is mostly pointless but when they start blobbing up with big ships sneaking to skill their tac cruisers is pretty good.

The medium and heavy Corvette are actually pretty great in team fights because you can use friendly dreads for cover, and deal a shitload more damage than anyone else if you stay alive. Most pubbies are sort of like babies or pets with no object permanence, as soon as you go out of sight you vanish from their head completely and they just go back to tunneling the fat dreadnought.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

The medium and heavy Corvette are actually pretty great in team fights because you can use friendly dreads for cover, and deal a shitload more damage than anyone else if you stay alive. Most pubbies are sort of like babies or pets with no object permanence, as soon as you go out of sight you vanish from their head completely and they just go back to tunneling the fat dreadnought.

Oh absolutely just occasionally the slug fests become stagnant and you really just want them to leave their turtle canyon.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sedisp posted:

Oh absolutely just occasionally the slug fests become stagnant and you really just want them to leave their turtle canyon.

Yea this thing is my single biggest gripe with the game. It desperately needs an objective based mode or anything that doesn't rely on deny kills to the other team. I mean, yea, obviously not dying is good, but it gets to absurd levels where you just can't use several classes because they're easier to pick off and kill.

It promotes the worst "OH GOD I COULDN'T POSSIBLE CHIP THE PAINT ON MY SHIP" tendencies that pubbies in every game have. And this game doesn't even have bullshit like the repair costs from a wargaming game!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It really needs some aoe anti-heal or aoe push or an ability like Fractured space where you harpoon a ship and drag them away from their buff bubble.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Someone who plays MWO please give me a comparison to how similar/different this game is?

gibbed posted:

Yes.

If you need to see some gameplay, just pick a random stream on Twitch.

Just checked this and everyone's playing a corvette right now except one guy playing a destroyer.

I check his video just as he's starting a match, only to die to a corvette he didn't see. "gently caress this, I'm going back to corvette!" he said.

Not an encouraging sign for big fat ship lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Corvettes are exactly as good as the other team is bad.

Even as a heal botting Tac Cruiser I don't pay much attention to corvettes.

I just pop shields and energy generator and the big guns on my team rip him apart.

Maybe he'll live long enough to get hit by my wasp missiles, but not often.

• Locked thread