Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
it's pretty fun, some of the job abilities are really fun variations on nioh's action style. some jobs are extremely strong. the plot is kind of whatever. you're basically stuck with companions all the time so you might as well use them.

e: I loving hate Jack as a character but he's got some funny lines so who can say if he's good or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
SoP is still on my To Do list, but from everything I've read it's pretty derivative of the Nioh-style gameplay, but if you're into that then it's also a pretty good take on that formula.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So you want to hit at least B toughness and, ideally, A Agility? Internet says with the Ii clan bonus you can hit B toughness and A agility with the Red Demon armor. I’m thinking a Spear/Tonfa build for regular game, but I still need to get to the armor first.

If you are going light armor, I don't think you -need- B toughness if you are very good at dodging or if you have lots of points in Ki or use a lot of Ki regen talismans. Depends how much you find yourself blocking instead of dodging.

Thumbtacks posted:

there's no thread for it but you guys probably know enough about it. was that one final fantasy game any good? the one that was basically nioh

idk how much replayability it has compared to nioh but it looked pretty neat

The plot is nothing, the best you will get is a funny line or two, the environments are often plain or ugly as hell, and the gear scaling on NG+ meant I would need to repeat each level twice to get enough gear to make my average gear level get high enough I wasn't taking a massive and arbitrary 'you are too low level penalty' so I never played any of the DLC.

The gameplay, however, is solid! All the different weapons are distinct and have their own tricks, they integrated the 'strike and dodge' or 'block and strike' moves a lot of nioh weapons have directly into the weapon movesets, and the magic is great for throwing big spells.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SOP rules. it's a bit easier to get into than nioh since there's not such an absurd number of moves for each weapon but there's still a ton of depth to master and a lot of classes to learn. multiplayer's just as good as nioh. the characters are fun.

doomfunk posted:

e: I loving hate Jack as a character but he's got some funny lines so who can say if he's good or not

:frogout:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Once SoP starts to hit like 20 bucks with all the DLC I feel it'll become more of an easy recommendo. Really not as much meat on the bone as either nioh but perfectly enjoyable in its own silly way

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
All I wanted out of Jack is a committed VA performance, and he delivers

CRUSH YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
SoP is great, they lean so hard into the bit that it wraps around into being incredibly endearing and sincere and reverent to the source material. The combat’s certainly not as in depth as Nioh but it’s workable enough, and they make it extremely easy to do the obligatory powergaming gear grind to jump into DLC difficulties so that’s handy too.

Highly recommended. I would suggest remapping the attack buttons to the face buttons on the controller a la Nioh than rely on the bumpers/triggers for swings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

isk posted:

All I wanted out of Jack is a committed VA performance, and he delivers

CRUSH YOU

OUTTA MY SIGHT

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Captainicus posted:

If you are going light armor, I don't think you -need- B toughness if you are very good at dodging or if you have lots of points in Ki or use a lot of Ki regen talismans. Depends how much you find yourself blocking instead of dodging.

I always forget to block and just focus on dodging all the time, so light armor is what I usually go for.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

I always forget to block and just focus on dodging all the time, so light armor is what I usually go for.

I did light armor in my Nioh 2 run for the most part and it worked fine if you’re good with the approach. You’re really not going to hit 200 toughness (which gives you one hit of super armor) using light, I tried to find a way to do it and it just wasn’t happening since toughness is more or less directly correlated with armor class and you probably aren’t getting anywhere enough from the rest of your items.

Fists do get an armored forward charge that helps compensate nicely, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
you can mix light and medium and hit 200 toughness while keeping A agility, I thiiiink all I needed was a medium chest to close the gap.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=int3aDF_M2A

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Getting very hyped for this.

The world looks a lot bigger than I was expecting. Based on the earlier trailers, I figured it would be one relatively compact city, but they're really going all out. Looks like cats are the new kodama :3:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Something weirdly comforting about the Nioh/Wo Long animations I can recognise in that, like kicking open that treasure box.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Hopefully it'll be out on PC in 2025 or something :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the visual design is really attractive but I wish there were more mythological/supernatural aspects like nioh and wo long. it comes out the same day as dragon's dogma 2 so I'm probably not going to get to it right when it releases.

Darth Walrus posted:

Something weirdly comforting about the Nioh/Wo Long animations I can recognise in that, like kicking open that treasure box.

at this point I just find it charming that they're still getting mileage out of those nioh 1 animations this many years later.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does Saito Yoshimutsu have a parry that auto- deflects and grapples my Yokai Burst? If not, then I have happened to get hit with it every single match.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Farming smithing texts and skills is brutal. I managed to get Sacred Bird Cry off Yoshitsune the second try, but the next dozen I’ve got nothing. Give me your armor and sword dance you loving bird!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Farming smithing texts and skills is brutal. I managed to get Sacred Bird Cry off Yoshitsune the second try, but the next dozen I’ve got nothing. Give me your armor and sword dance you loving bird!

It's awful, I spent hours trying to get all the recipes for Benkei's armor. You can really get those fights down to a science, though, which is kinda fun.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How does the +1-10 system work? I thought only divine gear had that. Is a +2 purple better than a +1 green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am pretty sure I killed him 50 times before I got everything. Then I proceeded to just spam sword dance until I got to the underworld.