Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5JpK_aFSk

Oliver Stone's latest masterpiece has a full trailer out. It features the following brilliant artistic choices:

-the NSA working out of a bunker full of glass walls and computery poo poo
-a protagonist passing a test in RECORD TIME!
-JGL doing a goofy imitation accent of a guy with a fairly unremarkable voice
-motion graphics showing the internet as a series of screens, tubes, and flashing lights,

The best element is boiling down Snowden's protest to be basically "The NSA is gonna watch you gently caress!"

Last Buffalo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well I'm sold

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
I get the feeling that you could just watch Last Week Tonight's bit on government surveillance and the Citizen Four documentary and be way more entertained and informed than watching this. But maybe for the sake of those people that have been living under a rock for the past 3-4 years and still have no idea who he is and what he did, making a movie about the government watching you go to the bathroom and making sexy time is worth it. Maybe in a way its like a really lovely looking version of The Big Short and Nicolas Cage is here to tell you it really happened!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Last Buffalo posted:

The best element is boiling down Snowden's protest to be basically "The NSA is gonna watch you gently caress!"

To be fair, as according to the Last Week Tonight bit that Betty mentioned, this is what it takes to get a regular person to actually give a poo poo about a global surveillance state. Timestamped embed below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M&t=1486s

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Teaser is so Oliver Stone'd out I can't not go see this. Great filmmaker if rarely subtle.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Teaser is so Oliver Stone'd out I can't not go see this. Great filmmaker if rarely subtle.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. Though his voice thing is definitely going to distract me.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nicholas Cage better just be playing his Bad Lieutenant character the whole movie

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
On the one hand, this movie looks gorgeous and I am glad the story is being told and the American Government being the bad guy is a strange but kinda...true trend.

On the other hand though this movie looks as subtle as a strip club and I do not look forward to my arm chair activist friends on Facebook talking about it.

Optimist with doubt fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 29, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's no reason for this movie to stick to the truth. For that, there's already the unbeatable Citizenfour.

This one looks hammy as gently caress and it's going to be awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's Oliver Stone so I guess I just gotta strap in for this nonsense.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That trailer does a really good job of making this movie look super both pretentious and like its typical over dramatized Hollywood dreck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Last Buffalo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5JpK_aFSk

Oliver Stone's latest masterpiece has a full trailer out. It features the following brilliant artistic choices:

-the NSA working out of a bunker full of glass walls and computery poo poo
-a protagonist passing a test in RECORD TIME!
-JGL doing a goofy imitation accent of a guy with a fairly unremarkable voice
-motion graphics showing the internet as a series of screens, tubes, and flashing lights,

i mean this is a guy that made a movie about the jfk assassination that had something like 100+ errors.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean this is a guy that made a movie about the jfk assassination that had something like 100+ errors.

Hell of a yarn though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

No thats real

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

No thats real

I used to think it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but it's true. All of it.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hell of a yarn though.

Yeah, I think liked JFK more after learning how much of it was bullshit. It's like an infowars history of the United States, but done with grace and style.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's Oliver Stone so I guess I just gotta strap in for this nonsense.

Why? What forces you to endure his poo poo movies? World Trade Center was 10 years ago and people still haven't learned. Really sad

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nic Cage returns to theatres. I'm sold.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Why? What forces you to endure his poo poo movies? World Trade Center was 10 years ago and people still haven't learned. Really sad

9/11 was 15 years ago, actually.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I love Oliver Stone. Dude's been making bad movies since the 80's, by the way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Platoon is the best Vietnam War movie

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
I keep forgetting that George W Bush movie was a thing. All I remember from that movie was Josh Brolin slo-mo choking on a pretzel.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Last Buffalo posted:

Yeah, I think liked JFK more after learning how much of it was bullshit. It's like an infowars history of the United States, but done with grace and style.

IIRC Stone actually said it was a 'counter-myth' to the Warren Commisson 'myth', so it wasn't ever supposed to be accurate (although it still pissed off Mark Lane).

The opening montage leading up to the gunshot is the best thing Stone has ever done imo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Everything since Rush To Judgement has probably pissed Mark Lane off, I'm sure he felt like Martin Luther nailing up the Theses when he wrote that book.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MorgaineDax posted:

I keep forgetting that George W Bush movie was a thing. All I remember from that movie was Josh Brolin slo-mo choking on a pretzel.

It was very cathartic at the time. Like an exorcism for the culture.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

That might be his worst but even since then there's been interesting work. W. was fascinating and I'd never see Savages again but it had better action than most of its contemporaries. His films all have such an incredible, unique flow. He always overdoes it on the message front but the ride is always worth the price of admission.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
While I like a lot of his films, he has absolutely terrible taste when it comes to style nowadays and can't keep his blowhard tendencies under control. Wall Street 2 has to be the dumbest screenplay I've ever seen produced, yet it really thinks it's speaking truth to power. The doc he directed, South of The Border, actually has a lot of really interesting points and observations, but it's completely undercut by him needing to film himself in a tan suit looking inquisitive after every goddamn bullet point.

Snowden seems particularly bad because, as his past movies have shown, Oliver Stone doesn't really get the idea of the internet or modern media. After Bush, he's gotten pretty lazy when it comes to saying anything more than "The establishment sucks, man" and "Weed is cool," so I'm not expecting powerful new takes on intelligence and privacy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Clipperton posted:

IIRC Stone actually said it was a 'counter-myth' to the Warren Commisson 'myth', so it wasn't ever supposed to be accurate (although it still pissed off Mark Lane).

The opening montage leading up to the gunshot is the best thing Stone has ever done imo

the warren report wasn't a myth though. that's like ben stein calling expelled a "counter-myth".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Vegetable posted:

Platoon is the best Vietnam War movie

It's apparently a really good portrayal of Vietnam but it isn't a great movie.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

the warren report wasn't a myth though. that's like ben stein calling expelled a "counter-myth".

it is if you're oliver stone

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still really like a lot of W, definitely down with Nixon, Platoon...

Apparently Savages was garbage?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Thandie Newton was so bad as Condoleezza though

I think that movie is really important though, since it effectively conveys the image most people had of W during his first term, which will be useful when we need to explain to our children how he ever got re-elected

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LGD posted:

Thandie Newton was so bad as Condoleezza though

I think that movie is really important though, since it effectively conveys the image most people had of W during his first term, which will be useful when we need to explain to our children how he ever got re-elected
Yeahhhhhhhh, she is pretty much a Condi cartoon. I liked the rest of the cabinet though, and as a cartoonishly Oliver Stone portrayal of history like all his other historical films it still holds up as entertaining high melodrama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVmVdOohAXg
It's weird, because if Stone's intentions with W or Nixon was anything but humanizing them, thereby engendering more sympathy for them (well, not "them" so much as their Oliver Stone-y movie caricatures), he really dropped the ball.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Savages was good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Savages was good.

I hated it, but it was also weird so it gets points from me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hated it, but it was also weird so it gets points from me.

Yeah I thought Savages was horrible but I didn't hate watching it. It just has so much crazy poo poo going on at all times.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh, don't get me wrong, it wasn't one of my favorites of that year, but I can't reasonably call a movie bad when it's that fun to watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That scene between Travolta and Benicio in the kitchen is why I bother with Oliver Stone movies post 90's.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Last Buffalo posted:

A little bird at the NSA told me this will be playing over the credits:
https://youtu.be/4zH9Zca1vRM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
For me Alexander is probably the Stone movie I dislike the most, I mean I respect trying to make a sword and sandal historical epic in the 2000s, but it just isn't a good film.

• Locked thread