Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
http://www.kmart.com/smart-sense-mountain-rapids-soda-144/p-033W006845563001P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

http://www.kmart.com/smart-sense-dr-smart-soda-144-carton/p-033W006860214001P?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=G11

That includes deposit :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
uh oh theres only one case of mountain rapids left in stock at my local kmart

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

furiously starting my car as i post this

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wow, how could they not make a profit selling 12 cans of lovely soda for $2.50?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You're fat op

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
didn't read the op but if it's your mom I say yes since she's in all the most probability a drunken whore, go gently caress yourself op

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's almost like water and corn syrup don't cost a lot.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Wow, how could they not make a profit selling 12 cans of lovely soda for $2.50?

$1.90 (5c deposit included in price).

That's 15 cents a can customer price. The gently caress they paying, 4 cents a can??

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Melmac posted:

$1.90 (5c deposit included in price).

That's 15 cents a can customer price. The gently caress they paying, 4 cents a can??

Yea honestly, it's lovely white label soda, it's probably like 5c a can for K-mart?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

wait a minute now theyre saying theres only one case of dr smart left at my local kmart as well. i'm starting to think there may be some dishonesty going on.....

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Mountain Rapids
Dr. Smart

its like movie names for some bad james bond knock off franchise

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Like, I don't live in a state with a deposit. But local grocery stores regularly sell Pepsi and Coke 12 packs for $2.50 each. Not sure why you'd be confused about some lovely off brand soda being $2.50.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
This is just evidence exibit #3204 why Trump is going to win you dumb yank fucks.

You've made your corpulently obese bed, now you get to lie and rot in it.

Roll around naked in the putrid lard that has become your society! Smear it on your bitchtits and into your mouth!

:kheldragar:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

It's common for large stores to price the odd item below cost. They do this because many customers who buy these so called "loss leader" items will buy other stuff as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Butcher posted:

This is just evidence exibit #3204 why Trump is going to win you dumb yank fucks.

Roll around naked in the putrid lard that has become your society! Smear it on your bitchtits and into your mouth!

no

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

PBS Newshour posted:

Mountain Rapids
Dr. Smart

its like movie names for some bad james bond knock off franchise

Welcome to the questionable soda museum! I can't decide if I like Dr. Chill's smooth bedside manner more than a Real Dr. Life is tough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pantsless Hero posted:

Welcome to the questionable soda museum!

dr. perky oh my god

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

The Butcher posted:

:science: larb not lard

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
anyone ever seen pranks cereal?
its my favorite off brand thing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pantsless Hero posted:

Welcome to the questionable soda museum! I can't decide if I like Dr. Chill's smooth bedside manner more than a Real Dr. Life is tough.

I bet at least half of these come from the same factory.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Pantsless Hero posted:

Doctor A Plus just rolls right off the tongue

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Pantsless Hero posted:

Welcome to the questionable soda museum!

Faced with these choices I would go with the Dr. Skipper because they had the biggest "how close can we get to being sued for this name and design" balls.

Bet they ripped the flavor off really well.

Also chance of a $1 mil which I don't see anybody else even attempting to match.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'd go with Dr. Snap.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Pantsless Hero posted:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Clearly you gotta go for Dr. Perky because who doesn't like a perky doctor?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Uhm, hello? Dr. Shasta???

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
It's called a loss leader OP. They sell you something super cheap hoping you buy some other worthless poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Gotta get out there and buy me a case of Mountain Don't.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

AnElegantPeacock posted:

It's called a loss leader OP. They sell you something super cheap hoping you buy some other worthless poo poo.

This makes a lot more sense. The supermarket near me regularly has 12 packs of plain old seltzer for $6 for 12.

PBS Newshour posted:

anyone ever seen pranks cereal?
its my favorite off brand thing.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Because that poo poo costs like, 10 cents to manufacture man. They make like, 250% profit. It's the only profitable thing at K-Mart.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Hey cool, literal poison for cheap.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Because that poo poo costs like, 10 cents to manufacture man. They make like, 250% profit. It's the only profitable thing at K-Mart.

So when they charge $1 for it in a vending machine how much profit is it because I can't do that kinda math

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Melmac posted:

So when they charge $1 for it in a vending machine how much profit is it because I can't do that kinda math

Oddly enough, it's Cat. Like you eat. You alien bastard.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

it's store brand so they probably paid like $1 for the whole thing.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Oddly enough, it's Cat. Like you eat. You alien bastard.

I like cats (to pet) but I also like the hit TV series "Alf".

Cowman posted:

it's store brand so they probably paid like $1 for the whole thing.

How did the person they buy it from make money off that

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Melmac posted:

How did the person they buy it from make money off that

Store brands, they buy poo poo tons of white label products from the same company and put their "store" logo on it. Thus they get incredibly cheap prices because they are buying millions of products from the manufacturer every year.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
can someone post a screenshot?? I really doubt what this buttwhole thinks is funny is worth allowing those nasty looking tracking cookies onto my browser

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
you are being stooged in every single product. once i checked what the profit margin on a 79c can of tomatos was and it was like 60%

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

you are being stooged in every single product. once i checked what the profit margin on a 79c can of tomatos was and it was like 60%

My Brit friend in Bangkok said standard retail markup is around 2x what you paid unless you were talking luxury items or jewelry or something then it's 4x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

My Brit friend in Bangkok said standard retail markup is around 2x what you paid unless you were talking luxury items or jewelry or something then it's 4x

retail is all about getting people in the door and spending as much time as possible inside the store. Plenty of items are "Loss leaders" meaning you sell them at a loss to make people come to your store instead of the other guys store.

I could write pages about supermarket retail but who cares.

Some luxury items such as perfume have markups in the 1000% range

edit

as far as distributor to store price and retail price its generally in the 10-25% range on the majority of things. Theres some ridiculous poo poo that goes on. a while ago all the laundry detergents got changed to double concentrate and had the bottles/boxes reduced greatly in size. Because of the change and confusion the 2 or 3 companies who supply those products were price fixing and making shitloads of money.

The scenario kind of was 2L is now 800ml for the supposed effectiveness of 1.6L but the price went to double the previous 2L price. This is just a really rough example.

They got away with it for like 2 years where a small box of laundry powder now cost $15 instead of $5

Isaac fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 28, 2016

• Locked thread