Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

What is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is a popular, free roguelike game focusing on tactics, balance, variety and a lasting challenge. A roguelike is generally a turn-based RPG, with an emphasis on randomly generated worlds, a high depth of play, huge menageries of monsters, and some MacGuffin you have to dig up and escape with. Most roguelikes use ASCII characters for graphics, though an increasing number utilize graphical tiles, like Crawl. Roguelikes are usually very tough to beat, and death is often permanent: once you're dead, you're dead.

Crawl has all of the elements of a classic roguelike, but avoids the major annoyances and monotonous requirements present in many roguelikes. It makes playing the game a natural experience, without "gotcha" deaths that demand an encyclopedia of knowledge. Everything you need to know to survive is present in each turn, whether it be through careful observation, making use of the resources you've collected and learned, or referring to the help by pressing "?" if you're not sure what each key does yet.

Personally, I love Dungeon Crawl because it demands attention to survive, but skips or automates a lot of the boring poo poo that slows down other similar games. New changes always have reasoning based in fun or balance. When you die, it's usually because you overestimated your strength, took a chance, and lost. You'll learn from each death; you will die early and often. Often times I will think I have a loving INVINCIBLE character that will breeze through the game, only to die to carelessness in the most embarrassing way. Although the game is heavily dependent on luck, victory is always possible even if you are getting the short stick at every turn. Veteran players can streak wins together with random characters.

Major design goals:
  • challenging and unpredictable gameplay, with an emphasis on tactical skill
  • meaningful decisions (no no-brainer, works-every-time-with-every-character play choices)
  • grinding is unnecessary
  • a simplified and elegant interface, with a helpful tutorial and mouse support for new players
Minor design goals:
  • clarity of design (playable without the need for external spoilers)
  • thematic consistency (no lightsaber-wielding orcs)
  • replayability and lasting challenge (with optional branches, multiple race/background/god choices, and optional challenges)
  • proper use of out-of-depth monsters

What's new in v0.18?

New God: Pakellas the Inventive!

Pakellas is a god that loves it when you pull out a rod or wand. You regen MP by killing enemies, so magic becomes less useful, but you can recharge wands and rods at any time, boost the power of your wand/rod attacks, and become a very dangerous evoker. He will gift you evokable items, rods and potions of magic to help you boost your items. Once you reach max piety, he will "Supercharge" one wand or rod, which grants it maximum charges and enchantment.

Other Notable Changes:
  • Abyss is less of a death sentence for low levels. Exits appear randomly upon killing enemies.
  • Orcish Mines shortened.
  • Beogh can revive fallen Orc brothers! Praise Orc Jesus!
  • New random artifact property: Fragile, which destroys items when unequipped.
  • Only Draconians and Nagas have Breath abilities.
  • Added the Amulet of Dismissal and Reflection.
  • Lots of new monsters like the Iron Giant, Dart slugs, Howler Monkeys and more.
  • Many monster and spell balances.
  • Scrolls of enchant armour & enchant weapon no longer remove curses.
  • Poison needles scale with Throwing skill. Less powerful at 0 throwing skill.
  • Removed amulets of resist mutation, stasis, warding, and corrosion. New Amulet of Harm.
  • Removed a number of redundant/unused wands and rods. New Wand of Acid and Iceblast.
  • UI and keyboard shortcut improvements.

There's tons of little changes, so read the Full 0.18 Changelog if you play often.

Why play Online?
  • Spectate live games and chat with the player and others! Check out this list of everyone playing right now, and click "Watch" to see their live game.
  • Progress and settings (rcfile) are saved.
  • Keep track of your victories, defeats, and all kinds of stats.
  • Always up-to-date, with nightly builds available to play.
  • Participate in the May 6 - 22 Tournament to show off your skill!
  • Participate in the next tournament to show off your skill!

You can play Crawl in your browser very easily. The most popular servers are:
  • CAO: US West
  • CBRO: US East
  • CJR: Montreal *new*
  • CXC: France
  • CUE: Germany
  • CPO: Australia
  • CSZO is dead. you can get your morgues/rcfiles here.

Other servers and instructions for joining via SSH/Telnet (with a client such as KiTTY) are available here: How to play Online.

Play Offline

If you prefer a lagless experience offline, you can Download Crawl for Windows, Max OSX, Linux and Android.

The chats, communities and resources:
  • ##crawl on Freenode - Official Dungeon Crawl IRC. You can chat, ask for help, and get up-to-date information from bots, veterans, and sometimes devs.
  • Crawl Wiki - A good source for general information and spoilers. Be wary of the game version displayed on each page; some will be quite outdated!
  • ##gooncrawl on Freenode - For a goonier chat.
  • LearnDB - Searchable repository of Dungeon Crawl lore. Almost always up to date & accurate, but sometimes its terseness and in-jokes do it no favors.
  • The Tavern - Official Dungeon Crawl forum.
  • /r/DCSS - le reddit.

Other Stuff:

Below is a screenshot of a typical early-game experience. I am a Kobold Assassin who got a little overzealous in fighting these three very basic enemies. The adder has poisoned me while the jackal and hobgoblin did little chunks of damage quickly. I only had one unidentified potion available, so I drank it in hopes that it would heal me or cure my poison. Unfortunately, it turned me into a tree, and now I will likely die. If I had faced these enemies one at a time in these weak early stages, or ran away from them, I would have lived to see the next floor!

Earlier threads:
Crawl 0.17: Corn enemies no longer popcorn
Crawl 0.16: Ru asks you to sacrifice your free time! This is a trivial butt
Crawl 0.15: Terrifying, Ever-Gnashing Radulae
Crawl 0.14: You feel energized by your suffering!
Crawl 0.13: FoIE GrAs: You are engorged.
Crawl 0.12: Erolcha banished me and gave me apocalypse crabs
Crawl 0.11: Eight legs and it's not an Octopode: Welcome to Spider
Crawl 0.10: Your tentacles turn into razor-sharp scythe blades
Crawl 0.9: A meow rips itself from your throat
Crawl 0.8: Mennas II Society
Crawl 0.7: The Dying Game
Crawl 0.6: Slouching towards The Abyss
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.5.0: Now with less Oklob!
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.4.0
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.3.0

I am not always playing or checking on this game week to week. Please PM me if any important info is missing/changed.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Are we rolling out recruitment for the tourny? I'm not gonna make a team this year but I will join one! I am bad.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, recruitment is starting up. Just hang around here and there will be teams looking for people of all skill levels.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Hell with it. I'll make a team.

Lean Mean Purple-Eating Machine

1: Shinino
2: FulsomFrank
3: Static
4: MagicLamp
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino

Anyone can join, just like Floodkiller says. Play and have fun. Go for banners if you want, win if you can. I probably won't win!

Shinino Kage fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 28, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Rcfile is all set up for team Crawl of Duty!
code:
Crawl of Duty

1. Floodkiller
2. IronicDongz (Shard1697)
3. Wolfechu
4. jerkstoresup (jerkstore)
5. MOVIE MAJICK (wya)
6. Can of Worms (wormsofcant)

# TEAMCAPTAIN Floodkiller
Anyone can join (priority to any previous members of the SSS in any form), no skill level required; you just have to be willing to play (and die) a bunch. Playing for banners/the biggest mutation list is also acceptable.

Full up unless someone from an older version of the team wants in!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 29, 2016

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Floodkiller posted:

Anyone can join (priority to any previous members of the SSS in any form), no skill level required; you just have to be willing to play (and die) a bunch. Playing for banners/the biggest mutation list is also acceptable.

I was going to make Wolf Pakellas but I'll help fill up the existing teams and join Crawl of Duty. If your old members come back I'll hop on Shinino's team.

I'm jerkstore on CBRO/CAO.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 28, 2016

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Finally Turned 0.18 Boys

1: FireSight
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN FireSight

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shinino Kage posted:

2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino

Anyone can join, just like Floodkiller says. Play and have fun. Go for banners if you want, win if you can. I probably won't win!

Put me in coach

how do you add the relevant information to your online profile?

Thanks, and I'm under FulsomFrank still on webtiles
\/\/\/\/

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2016

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

FulsomFrank posted:

Put me in coach

how do you add the relevant information to your online profile?

Click (edit rc) next to DCSS 0.18 on CAO, CBRO or wherever you play. Put # TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino at the top of the file and save it. That's it!

Also make sure the captain knows your Crawl username if it's different from SA. They need to add you to their rcfile too.

e: Much more concrete instructions below.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 28, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Webtiles:

Only 0.18 rc files matter!

Save it or it doesn't count!

Forum: quote the last person to sign up for the team and add yourself (with your crawl name) to the list under the next open team member. Then make sure no one has signed up between the post you quoted and your post.

Remember:

quote:

Note: clan membership lines can be added to your 0.18 rcfile on any of the public servers. If you add clan membership lines to more than one rcfile, then the rcfile on the server earliest in the list CAO, CBRO, CDO, CPO, CUE, CWZ, CXC, LLD will take precedence.

More tourney rules at the tournament page

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Floodkiller posted:

code:
Crawl of Duty

1. Floodkiller
2. IronicDongz (Shard1697)
3. Wolfechu
4. jerkstore
5. wya

# TEAMCAPTAIN Floodkiller

Add me

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

I love you so much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

When does version 1.0 come out?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Once it hits 0.99 we're gonna start doing 0.991, etc. Like one's journey in the Dungeon, Crawl will never end.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718266

This should be in the OP

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I'll just wait to last minute again then join a team. Better late than Nessos worked out pretty well last time. When's the deadline for finalizing teams?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jerkstoresup posted:

• Removed a number of redundant/unused wands and rods. New Wand of Acid and Pain.
Pain? :crossarms:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Surprisingly late!

The tourney is from 6 May to 22 May (in UTC anyway). Teams are locked at 20:00 UTC Friday 13 May, a week into the tournament. All that actually matters is your highest-priority rcfile at that moment - if you join team A, play some games, then join team B (before the rosters lock), all of your games count for team B; the system doesn't even remember you had an old team.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
when's akrasiac putting up 0.18 so I can edit my rcfile and not do anything else yet <:mad:>

:yeah:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I just remembered that I should keep track of how many death scarab in Spider:4 deaths there are this tournament :getin:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Electric Lady posted:

I love you so much.
I'll be a good OP and provide photoshops whenever inspired.

Got mixed up with the amulet of harm, fixed.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Don't think i'll be joining any teams this time, last time went terrible and i didn't improve at all. Actually i got worse at the game !
Good luck to yall tho :xd:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ugh, why did they get rid of stoneskin again?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it was really annoying and bad

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's the best tournament strategy? Big wins? Lots of wins? Lots of banners? Speedrunning?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Die lots, sleep less.

Oh you mean score high? Lots of wins on less-used combinations and getting Nemelex choice wins. Banners are merely a secondary goal to accomplish.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I'm up for some tourney-ing, I haven't played too much for quite a while so probably best I don't go with some real tryhards but if anyone's up for some medium-to-poo poo level gameplay I'd do it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's the best tournament strategy? Big wins? Lots of wins? Lots of banners? Speedrunning?

Play weird combos and have a good time imo

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This is the most bad I've ever felt for a fictional person since the time in High School when I read "Flowers For Algernon."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The greatest LP ever written.

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
I'm up for joining a team. I'm not that good and I don't know how much I'll be playing, but I can usually get one win during a tournament. Crawl name same as here.

Seconding Frykte's LP as best ever. I just reread the whole thing.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Perhaps this is in poor taste, but, uh, yea. :haw:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Shinino Kage posted:

3:
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino

I'll join this team. I play as static on cbro. I may even win a game, probably with a really long mutation list.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

3: Static
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino

As a fellow purple-eater I connect with this team. Up for this! I might win. Maybe. MagicLamp.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 28, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

Perhaps this is in poor taste, but, uh, yea. :haw:

:eyepop:

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
Hm. I left behind a couple of viable trunk characters before 0.18 went live (including an effective zig raider DS). Does anyone know, are they lost?

A Magical Lamp posted:

As a fellow purple-eater I connect with this team. Up for this! I might win. Maybe. MagicLamp.
Mark me down for a spot. I'm probably good for a win or two, but I have possibly the worst wins/deaths rate of anyone who has won multiple games, not counting bots.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Oh hey a new version, guess the tourney's probably the perfect time to get back into Crawl

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anybody done the flying people purple eater joke yet

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Heteroy posted:

Hm. I left behind a couple of viable trunk characters before 0.18 went live (including an effective zig raider DS). Does anyone know, are they lost?
Mark me down for a spot. I'm probably good for a win or two, but I have possibly the worst wins/deaths rate of anyone who has won multiple games, not counting bots.

They'll probably be updated in horrible ways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Tollymain posted:

anybody done the flying people purple eater joke yet

That was my other idea for a team name. :D

• Locked thread