Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Actually, here's a tournament question!

Is there a new banner for Pakellas? The Crawl tournament page has no rules changes from last time listed, but it could just not be updated yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tollymain posted:

please join my awful, terribly named team

code:
Vashnias Violet Vorarephiliacs

1: Tollymain
2: Thalamas
3: LORDOFBUTT
4: unimpressed
5: FitzyFitz
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Tollymain

Digging this vibe. Add me. I've always gotten in at least one 15-runer.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
gently caress it, the name's been tickling my funnybone long enough, I'm going to captain a crawl team.

code:
Flying Purple Eater People

1: Glidergun
2: Heteroy
3: Pinechild
4: MissPrince (Princey)
5: FilthyApe
6: uglyjohn

# TEAMCAPTAIN Glidergun
Anyone accepted - I've managed to get one win in each of the last two tournaments, through the grace of the RNG and the splatting of many others, but I have no illusions about whether I'm likely to get another. Gargoyles and tengu recommended but not required.

EDIT: Team full! Hopefully I have the rcfile set up correctly.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 5, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Go with "one eyed" and suggest Ru

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Digging this vibe. Add me. I've always gotten in at least one 15-runer.

better than me, i've never done better than 3 :v:

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Okay, I read about all the scoring and such. Basically, I just play Trunk at akrasiac like I usually do and everything gets counted up automatically?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Almost. You have to make sure you're playing 0.18, not trunk. But aside from that, everything is tracked automatically.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

Glidergun posted:

gently caress it, the name's been tickling my funnybone long enough, I'm going to captain a crawl team.

code:

2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

# teamcaptain Glidergun
Anyone accepted - I've managed to get one win in each of the last two tournaments, through the grace of the RNG and the splatting of many others, but I have no illusions about whether I'm likely to get another. Gargoyles and tengu recommended but not required.

Okay, lets try this again, since I quoted the wrong person and got missed for a spot on another team.

I'm probably good for at least a win, but I'll be moving right in the middle of the tournament, so I won't be stringing together wins like whatever the hell tourney that was, .5 I think.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Glidergun posted:

code:

4:
5:
6:

# teamcaptain Glidergun

Edited Heteroy's name in there as well, but I'd definitely like to join up. The likelihood of getting to Zot with a GrMo and then splatting like a dumbass is high, but the effort will be there!

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Haifisch posted:

Almost. You have to make sure you're playing 0.18, not trunk. But aside from that, everything is tracked automatically.

Do I need to switch servers, then? This is what I see:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Thalamas posted:

Do I need to switch servers, then? This is what I see:

CAO will update before the tourney starts, and is the highest priority server for the tourney scripts. If you want to see your name on the tourney page before it updates, you can change your RC on any other active server. But you don't have to switch servers and indeed the server a game takes place is completely ignored by the tourney scripts.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Glidergun posted:

code:

5:
6:

# teamcaptain Glidergun

Hell, I'm in. I am potentially good for one melee fightmans win, but other than that it's splat city. I'm here to have fun and fail miserably going for challenge banners. Added my CAO name to the list.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Can anyone make some good rcfile recommendations? I'd particularly like to see making the character dump as verbose as possible, as well as just some nice quality of life things.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When is an amulet of harm useful? Is it for nukers who shouldn't be taking any damage in the first place?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Harm is always useful, how can you say no to 25% extra damage output :p

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Zarick posted:

Can anyone make some good rcfile recommendations? I'd particularly like to see making the character dump as verbose as possible, as well as just some nice quality of life things.
Dump/morgue options
There is a lot of potential info. Simplest way to add some info is to add
dump_order += vaults, turns_by_place, kills_by_place
dump_item_origins can also be made more general e.g. staves to know when you found that staff of fire on your FE. note_items if you care about where you found that phantom mirror or whatever. That's about the extent I can see as useful but there are a lot of options detailed there if you care.

MarvinPA and elliptic have extensively customized rcfiles. You may want to look to them more to see what's possible than to wholesale copy them.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When is an amulet of harm useful? Is it for nukers who shouldn't be taking any damage in the first place?

Always put Harm on, never take it off, regret your hubris later.

Zarick posted:

default_manual_training = true
-This sets your training style to manual instead of automatic every new game, as well as changes the skill display to show XP cost instead of percentages by default.

stop = Your transformation is almost over.
-This automatically stops auto-travel if whatever Form you are in is about to wear off. Useful for Transmuters, Necromutation users, Statue Form octopodes/felids/ogres, etc.

tile_player_tile = playermons
-This replaces your player tile with the default monster one. You can also change it to display the tile of any other monster, for example "mons:Dispater".

fake_lang = butt
-Self-explanatory.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Remember, the best defense is a strong offense! :suicide101:

It helps to be at range and/or some form of heal on kill when wearing it though. A big HP pool and a wariness to go into combat is also useful but that's also applicable towards general Crawl play.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Wow, I didn't know there was such extensive documentation. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm gonna look through these options now.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Been a while since I've done any crawl, but I should be good for a win or two. Will do my best to get a 15 rune.
code:

6:

# teamcaptain Glidergun
Edit: Is there some reason why my login works on akrasiac but not beRotato? Given the location, beRotato would probably give me less lag.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 30, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Different servers don't share login information. You need to register your username on beRotato.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Been a while since I've done any crawl, but I should be good for a win or two. Will do my best to get a 15 rune.
code:

6:

# teamcaptain Glidergun
Edit: Is there some reason why my login works on akrasiac but not beRotato? Given the location, beRotato would probably give me less lag.

You have to register separately on each server, if that's what you mean. Making an account on cao will not also give you an account on cbro, but if both accounts have the same name they will share stats on the online tracker.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

stop = Your transformation is almost over.
-This automatically stops auto-travel if whatever Form you are in is about to wear off. Useful for Transmuters, Necromutation users, Statue Form octopodes/felids/ogres, etc.
This assumes you have made this alias:
stop := runrest_stop_message

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

tile_player_tile = playermons
-This replaces your player tile with the default monster one. You can also change it to display the tile of any other monster, for example "mons:Dispater".
the best one is 'tile_player_tile = mons:ghost'

also something legit good: autofight_stop = 60

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Paralysis is lame.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
My Deep Dwarf with small horns kind of reminds me of someone...

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

default_manual_training = true
-This sets your training style to manual instead of automatic every new game, as well as changes the skill display to show XP cost instead of percentages by default.

This owns.

Floodkiller posted:

Always put Harm on, never take it off, regret your hubris later.

And this is my default playstyle.

:(

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Yay I got a rune, assuming I don't do something stupid or die to something that's been added since 0.14 I should be good to grab a pre-tourney win. MfGl of Pak, found a PDA just laying on the floor in Lair.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

A Magical Lamp posted:

or die to something that's been added since 0.14

inb4 dissolved by a caustic shrike pack and/or oneshot by a juggernaut

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

also something legit good: autofight_stop = 60

I prefer the minmay strat of setting it to zero and never worrying about it again

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Filthy Monkey posted:

code:

6: uglyjohn

# teamcaptain Glidergun
I'll grab this spot, why not. Good team name. Maybe I'll even win. Maybe I'll just hate Crawl and swear it off forever again. WHO KNOWS.

Goals for this tournament: 15-rune ascend the ULTIMATE LIFEFORM (which fits the Gargoyle theme). Not suck. Maybe grab a lvl 3 banner.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Who's got a spot for a MiFi that doesn't know when to run away?

E: Goals for this tournament: 2nd ever 3 rune ascend with the most boring chargen since MiBe.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm probably even worse than the guy above me. Have been playing on and off for a long time though! Even back before stone soup.

Will join any team that would take me.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Alright then, since the two above me have the same outlook I do, let's get started.

code:
# TEAMNAME Evoking_Mediocrity

1. MatlockB

Private Speech, bitcoin bastard. I'll need some character names. I don't play particularly fast, nor do I have a terribly long time to play during the tournament period. But eh, let's do this.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 1, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Alright then, since the two above me have the same outlook I do, let's get started.

code:
# TEAMNAME Evoking_Mediocrity

1. MatlockB

Private Speech, bitcoin bastard. I'll need some character names. I don't play particularly fast, nor do I have a terribly long time to play during the tournament period. But eh, let's do this.

I'm bitcoinbastard ingame, I'll get you added as team captain once I'm back in front of my computer which will be tomorrow or Monday

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
In my final practice before the tourney i just ascended a TrCj of Pak with the excellent 3-rune progression:

Swamp
Spider
Pan (Mnoleg)

Skipped all but depths 1, dove through Pan until a rune level (and killed Mnoleg) dove straight to zot 5, ninjad the orb.

Just a final reminder before the tourney starts that Pakellas is duuuuummmmbbbb

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I cant stop splatting these excellent characters !!

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I was going to do a few guides for the .18 release to try to draw in new folks, but I wasn't expecting it to be this soon.

If I'm going to do a video LP in super slow, agonizing detail for people to share with their friends when .18 drops, what would be a good race/class combo? Should I do something super easy like MiFi so they can replicate exactly what I'm doing and have success early? A strong caster start so I can explain spellcasting? Or something that's really difficult early like a transmuter, so I have to show off maximally good habits to survive at all?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I'd say a good caster background is way more interesting than ye olde MiFi. Maybe a Tengu Conjurer, showing how you can branch out. Hi Elf hybrid or a Vampire Hexer are also cool perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hito posted:

I was going to do a few guides for the .18 release to try to draw in new folks, but I wasn't expecting it to be this soon.

If I'm going to do a video LP in super slow, agonizing detail for people to share with their friends when .18 drops, what would be a good race/class combo? Should I do something super easy like MiFi so they can replicate exactly what I'm doing and have success early? A strong caster start so I can explain spellcasting? Or something that's really difficult early like a transmuter, so I have to show off maximally good habits to survive at all?
I honestly think a good start for showing off how stuff works is a Halfling Artificer. You have decent defenses and a great short blades apt, and you have wand options for earlygame threats like adders and scary orcs(so you can say "hey, this adder is dangerous, I'm gonna zap it with flame/enslavement")

• Locked thread