Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Julie And Candy posted:

I had a smooth and good experience with ABF U-pack moving from Virginia to Colorado recently. I did the PODS-style ReloCube and moved all my stuff and including motorcycle in a single cube (I didn't bring any furniture except my mattress, though. Replacing all of it with IKEA poo poo was less expensive than a second cube). You can also rent trailers from them by the foot if you need a lot of space. Good stuff.
Seconded on both accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Shath Hole posted:

I also did get an estimate from ABF which came in around $3400.
That sounds about what I paid per cube from Colorado to Vermont in 2011.

The main mitigating factor for me was my move was at the end of December. While I'd driven rental trucks across town before, I really didn't feel confident in driving cross country in potentially snowy conditions. In fact, that car trip could have been an enjoyable jaunt if I wasn't paranoid about getting stuck in a storm so I went as far as I could each day to get to Vermont as quickly as possible.

Of course the entire route turned out to be clear sailing with only a small amount of snow driving in OH and PA.

Except packing the drat cubes! The Saturday morning I needed to fill them, we got a mini-storm that in a few hours dumped a few inches of wet slick snow that made the mere 20 foot trek from my house to the cubes nearly treacherous.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Sounds like a plan. If I were moving from April-ish through October-ish, I'd have driven too and pocketed the coin.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Paper With Lines posted:

I think it got robbed but they weren't there to lock it back up so the PODS people wouldn't ship it to him. When he finally gets someone to lock it up, he calls it something like a mail order robbery.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-awful-things-nobody-tells-you-about-moving/
I'll concede that I can see where PODS or U-Pack would be an advertisement for unsavory types if you lived in a lovely neighborhood where you couldn't trust the crates to be alone for a day or two before pickup.

And yeah, seconding what Aquatic Giraffe said about driving stuff you can't afford to lose.

• Locked thread