Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hey, it's Chickam time!

This year we have 12 eggs hatching, and we hope to have Yoya, a gray Giant Cochin hen who has gone broody (in other words is awash in little chicken hormones and wants to be a mama) to be mom to the chicks. After the chicks hatch, the cam will remain on for the next 8 weeks, 24/7, so you can watch the chicks grow up. The brooder box is in my dining room so you'll also hear us, but that's OK.

If you've never seen or heard of Chickam before, you can read last year's OP here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707110&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It answers a lot of questions so I won't have to make THIS post a huge wall o' text. But if you have any questions that aren't answered there, please ask away and we'll try and answer them!

So far we have 5 eggs that have pipped (the chick inside has made it's initial 'pop' through the shell with it's beak so it can get air and begin the process): #16, 15, 3, 11 and 9. #16 actually pipped yesterday and has started to unzip it's shell, so it should be out soon!

This year's eggs are all from our mixed flock of many breeds, both standard size chickens and bantams (small guys!). We have two roosters for dads, one is an Americaunas/Giant Cochin mix, the other is a bantam Cochin fella. The mamas include many different breeds, as the eggs hatch and the chicks grow we'll be able to say better who mama is.

If you listen closely you can hear the chicks peeping and see the eggs rocking back and forth as the chicks get into hatch position.

Watch the hatch at the links below, one with chat—keep it PG rated, LOTS of kids (including mine) and teachers & very young kids in classrooms watch the hatch! We have zero tolerance for hate, really bad language (the occassional standard cuss word is OK, ie: ‘Holy poo poo that’s a big chick!’ or ‘drat, what’s taking so long?’ but nothing extreme), racism, etc. and will ban anyone not playing nice and being a decent human being. We try to answer questions both in this thread and in chat:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Or watch here, full screen, no chat—best for kids:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008/pop-out

If you want more Chickam or chicken info, I’ve got a site here:
http://jackshenhouse.com/Chickam.htm

:siren: NAME THE CHICKS! YES, YOU! :siren:
List yer name choices here now! Nothing my kid can't say without getting her mouth washed out with soap or us called to the principal's office, and no names previously used. As they hatch, our 16 year old daughter will draw names out of a hat for each chick, so everyone’s name gets a fair shot. One name per Goon to keep it fair! You cannot assign a name to a specific egg #, sorry. If you post more than one name we’ll choose one to drop in the hat. I’ll update the egg # below with the name & hatch time.

There are 12 eggs, originally there were 18, but when I candled them at 10 days in, some duds were removed--that's why you'll notice gaps in the numbers. When I candled, some embryos I saw for sure, other eggshells were too dark to see through so we'll just have to see if they hatch. Here's what we have:

7 Embryos:
#3 & 5, which are large, light brown eggs--#3 pipped 4/28 at 4AM, hatched at 9:45AM 4/29, named 'Peepers'
#8 & 9, large dark brown eggs--#9 pipped 4/28 at 11AM, hatched at 12:40AM 4/29, a black chick named 'Alecto'. #8 pipped at 1:30PM 4/29, hatched at 12:30AM 4/29, a large red/blond chick with a green color spot named 'Marshmallow'
#13, a small light green egg--this egg was laid by Toaster, a bantam Cochin hen, pipped 4/28 at 4:15PM, hatched 4/28 at 10:15PM, a gray/buff chick named 'Bowie'
#15, a small dark green egg--Pipped 4/27 at 11PM, hatched 4/29 at 12:30AM, a very blond chick named 'Kotori'
#16 a bantam egg laid by Wiggles, our gray mottled Belgian d'Uccle--Pipped 4/27 at 2PM, hatched on 4/28 at 1PM, a black/buff chick named 'Milton'.

5 Embryos I *think*:
#1, a large dark green egg
#6 & 7, large light blue eggs
#11, a small light green egg--Pipped 4/28 at 6AM, hatched 4/29 at 3:15AM, blue spot, named 'Fiver'
#14, a small dark green egg--Pipped 4/28 at 4:15PM, hatched 4/29 at 2:40AM, named 'Lenore'

EDIT:
I did the breakout on the 4 eggs that didn't hatch (#1, 5, 6 & 7): one was a dud and never developed, one quit 3 days in, another 6 days in, and the last quit at 18 days--the chick had never turned into hatch position. When you get quitters, no matter when they quit, it's Mother Nature saying something is wrong and calling a halt to things, it's sad but it's for the best.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i bet you can't juggle those eggs

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

16 coming out now maybe!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i want to care :smith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Name one of the green-shell ones Chickthulhu

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Name one of them EAT MY FLESH CHILDREN YOU DESERVE IT

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
:neckbeard: Chickam is the best time of year!
Throwing in the name Spaghetti if you haven't already had a chicken named that.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Yay the cam is up! :dance: I can't believe it that this is happening on my birthday. Come on #16!

Throwing in BeepBoob for a name!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ Happy birthday!

JiveHonky posted:

i want to care :smith:

You can! Don't worry, the chicks get cuter as they dry out and are no longer little spazzy slimeballs.

#16 is out! We'll hold off naming until the kid gets home in about 2 hours. We already had a 'Spaghetti', sorry!

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

^^^^ Thank you!

I got a shot of #16 before she went off cam!

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
I'm requesting the name milton. :3: congrats number 16, you did it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Name a chicken Doug McClure please.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Submitting the name Skeleton Dan

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

throwing in the name Hen Solo

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
How's about Cluck Nukem?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#8, back in the left corner, has pipped on the back side of the egg--that's why #16 is climbing back there, to annoy her.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I submit Nerd Pun Name Appropriate for Reddit

Aug 4, 2010

tasty looking chickens

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
#6 should be named Wimpy

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
I submit Vladimir Cuten as my chick name.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We should name one of them BB-8

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They're not all not gonna be left alone without a heater and die like the last time, right?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
are you going to brutally mruder them on livestream?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im gonna have breakfast for dinner tonight in honor of this thread

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Seriously though the boys are getting sent to the slurry machine right?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Name one Strychnine

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

YEssss chickam!

I submit Picklebutt

(if that is too inappropriate then Picklefeathers)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Name one Stillborn

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
I would like to suggest the name Goose

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to submit Hamtoo in memory of the roo I named last year. Do you know how he's doing?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

ChrisHansen posted:

I would like to submit Hamtoo in memory of the roo I named last year. Do you know how he's doing?

Prolly dead and eaten.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Chinatown posted:

im gonna have breakfast for dinner tonight in honour of this thread

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
name submission Abu Hajaar :)

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Microwaves Mom posted:

Prolly dead and eaten.

They don't eat them, they send the excess roos away.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Lareine posted:

They don't eat them, they send the excess roos away.

to a happy large farm in the country?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I vote for Chickenator. Has that one been used before?

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

They're not all not gonna be left alone without a heater and die like the last time, right?

I thought that was Fluffy Bunnies and some quail eggs.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CynCyanide posted:

I thought that was Fluffy Bunnies and some quail eggs.

Dude I don't keep track of all the GBS egg people.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Dude I don't keep track of all the GBS egg people.

Don't worry, I'll keep track of it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Chewbackhen
Hen-Solo
Princess Layer

Yes I am a goddamn genius, you are welcome.

• Locked thread