Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
So I'm going to post after I get back from class today, shouldn't be long. From what I can tell, Gordon's in the VIP area which is a no-go for security, but the rest of the commotion with the group's comms is not in Christof's wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I'm loving the game so far, and you've already mentioned the one thing I want in any sci-fi game Nanomachines, so I'm pretty happy with where we're going.

Also to the other players, feel free to bump into me or get contact info from Hua to me, I don't want to be solo forever. We may not be able to communicate at the moment, but I'm sure Gordon would love some robo friends! :roboluv:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Requested access to edit the character sheet, if you could approve when you have a chance I will have some time to populate it this weekend. Have been on a trip to Iceland this past week so haven't had a whole lot of time for it to date, so my apologies for that.

As for where the game thread goes I am happy with whatever, I just want an avenue to throw down walls of text.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Waador posted:

I just want an avenue to throw down walls of text.

For what it's worth, you're an architect when it comes to those wall.txts. f5ing has made this 100 hour workweek tolerable - great work, everyone!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Moving this stat discussion out of the main thread. I appreciate that when you switch around the stats I apply to Tech/Medical you're trying to catch some of the dynamics of individual situations. Maybe you could argue on a shaking ship that I need to use dexterity to keep my balance, at the minute we're talking about wisdom to think clearly in a rush. But the truth is that I designed my character to be a great doctor and waiting for a roll just to see if you're going to grant me my attribute bonus or not isn't exciting but frustrating. I looked at the definition of intelligence in the rulebook:

quote:

Memory, logic, and the capacity to think quickly. Characters with high Intelligence are well-suited to coping with complex technical skills and mentally demanding professions. Those with low Intelligence might take a while to reach a conclusion, or forget important details.

Now I could argue that "think quickly" is exactly what I need to do right now rather than "judgement" which is what it mentions in the wisdom entry (which I think is more moral judgement) but the root of the problem is that I don't want to argue. Whether I succeed or not on a roll is already tense for me without worrying about having to try and justify why I should have my intelligence bonus. So can we just say in the future that I can apply my intelligence to Tech/Med rolls and if you want to make the situation more demanding or dynamic you can include those factors in the DC value?

Edit: I just want to reiterate I'm really enjoying the game and just want to clarify these rules for the future.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 18, 2016

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I'll have another post up tonight, I'm in the middle of a double at work and I can't phone post for this kinda thing.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Apocron posted:

Moving this stat discussion out of the main thread. I appreciate that when you switch around the stats I apply to Tech/Medical you're trying to catch some of the dynamics of individual situations. Maybe you could argue on a shaking ship that I need to use dexterity to keep my balance, at the minute we're talking about wisdom to think clearly in a rush. But the truth is that I designed my character to be a great doctor and waiting for a roll just to see if you're going to grant me my attribute bonus or not isn't exciting but frustrating. I looked at the definition of intelligence in the rulebook:

Now I could argue that "think quickly" is exactly what I need to do right now rather than "judgement" which is what it mentions in the wisdom entry (which I think is more moral judgement) but the root of the problem is that I don't want to argue. Whether I succeed or not on a roll is already tense for me without worrying about having to try and justify why I should have my intelligence bonus. So can we just say in the future that I can apply my intelligence to Tech/Med rolls and if you want to make the situation more demanding or dynamic you can include those factors in the DC value?

Edit: I just want to reiterate I'm really enjoying the game and just want to clarify these rules for the future.

Sure! I don't mean to be frustrating. Sorry that was the result.

I'm very much open to feedback. I think I may have been overusing wisdom a bit anyway. Everyone agreed that from now on int is going to be the go-to in situations like that no matter the time pressure factor?

If any of you ever feel a different modifier or skill makes more sense at any point, please go right ahead and use it, don't worry too much about consulting me beforehand.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for understanding. Will post later.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Zepp, you monster :getin:

Do I need to make an Athletics check to get there or can I just narrate the difficulty of literally picking myself up off the floor.

Ps you still rock.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

TheTofuShop posted:

Zepp, you monster :getin:

Do I need to make an Athletics check to get there or can I just narrate the difficulty of literally picking myself up off the floor.

Ps you still rock.

I really liked the spoiler text as a mechanism to indicate him starting to black out.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I was trying to do smaller letters but I'm bad at BBcode. :v:

I'd say do an athletics/con, or physical save for flavour of how difficult it is. You'll get to the jammer either way (I mean, I don't want you to die), but let's say that if you succeed the roll you stay concious, and if you fail you black out soon after getting a message through. From a mechanics standpoint, don't worry about HP, this is purely a narrative thing to establish the stakes.

Also, don't feel your persuade was for nothing. She does like you. Let's just say she has an... interesting view on certain things. As far as she's concerned, this is basically foreplay. :v:

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Hey, it works! By the way,
pre:
[sub]
is for the little low text.
pre:
[super]
is for the little high text.

Reiterating that you're doing a great job! I just hope The Commodore has been bringing some comical levity to a tense situation versus simply being annoying!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
To be clear, I am entering in the passwords as well as the firmware hack via keyboard. I am not willing to create any kind of network connection to the ship through myself while I am also connected to the other artificial intelligence. I don't want to end up bridging him into the ship.

Figured that clarification was worth making in case it ended up mattering, though the way I read it everything inside was keyboard-only without a neural interface anyway.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Here's your new toy.

Hull Fighter-Bomber
Cost 1.2m
Speed 6
Armor 8
HP 16
Crew Min/Max 1/1
AC 3
Power 10
Free Mass 4
Hardpoints 2
Class Fighter

I'm going to rule it gets "atmospheric configuration" for free, but limited - it can go in atmosphere and land, but it's really not meant to so any engagements with airplanes would go very poorly. For story purposes, it also gets a railgun for free from the gunnery weapons on page 39 of the core book. In the post I described it as two, but that's because I like symmetry. :v: Mechanically it functions as one.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
In the Engines of Babylon supplement there's extensive vehicle customisation options, similar to ships. One of those is

quote:

Ghost Driver
While true AI is prohibitively expensive for most vehicles,
advanced expert system programming can equip a vehicle
with an automatic driver capable of handling conventional
operation, even in rough or treacherous terrain. The vehicle
can be ordered verbally or by radio to take its passengers
to particular locations, perform maneuvers with no driver on
board, or rendezvous with its owner at specific places. The
expert system is smart enough to deal with conventional
obstacles and impediments, and has an effective Vehicle skill
of level-0 if challenged by the environment. In the case that
an actual AI is in the PC group, a vehicle equipped with a
ghost driver can be remotely operated by the AI as a parallel
process, with no hindrance to the AI’s other actions. The AI
can perceive everything the vehicle’s sensors would perceive
and operate its weapons as if it were driving.
Only one such
vehicle may be remotely operated at a time by an AI.

This sounds about perfect for Durandal. I suggest we use that and when it's relevant I'll figure out some houserules on using vehicle fittings on spaceships.

By the way, if you guys are enjoying the game, I highly recommend the supplements. I'll quote all the relevant stuff but if any of you enjoy theorycrafting and the crunchy side of RPGs, it will be easier if you have the rules yourselves. And Kevin Crawford is awesome.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Ghost ridin' the whip.

I've picked up a couple of the supplements so far, though hadn't read through that one yet. Ghost driver looks like it would be perfect for what I'm aiming for, though, yeah.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Mind you, I am playing a little loose with the details of some things to facilitate the story, which I think is in the spirit of the system. If I contradict any of the books, please point it out to me and I might reconsider. Similarly, if you want to take inspiration from something but change it up a bit, I'm very open to that.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
Alright, finally caught up with the game thread. By the way, should I roll tactics or does that require a more complicated plan then "Shoot at point-blank range"?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I'm not so sure Gordon would be of much help in a conflict right now, but he could probably help talk down some other guests? I can't really think of how to help out here, so for now he's licking his wounds and keeping an eye out.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
For my own recordkeeping and planning, how much did the news agency end up transferring me? Was it the full 90,000 after editing out the bascially-advertising piece?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
50k, after the negotiation. Sorry, forgot to add that to your sheet!

The basically-advertising piece could potentially come in quite useful. That's basically Voight's plan at the moment. Great cover story, after all.

For completing the short term goal, do you think 250xp sounds fair? I admit my approach to numbers so far has been whatever feels right at the time, but I want it to be fair to you guys!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

50k, after the negotiation. Sorry, forgot to add that to your sheet! The basically-advertising piece could potentially come in quite useful. That's basically Voight's plan at the moment. Great cover story, after all. For completing the short term goal, do you think 250xp sounds fair? I admit my approach to numbers so far has been whatever feels right at the time, but I want it to be fair to you guys!
250xp seems fine to me. I don't really know how XP and/or goals are supposed to be structured, aside from the reward being aligned with the risk, effort, and likelihood of success of the task.

I built my first three goals on the assumption that the short-term goal would probably give me a decent chunk of a level, the mid-term goal would probably give me a full one or close to it, and that the long-term one would generate several levels instantly if somehow achieved. Practically speaking my current long-term goal is basically impossible at our current level and will require a dozen short-term goals focused on improving my odds to have a chance at success, so is probably itself worth thousands or tens of thousands if and when achieved.

That approach seems to help with the narrative though. All of my short-term and mid-term goals need to align with the ultimate purpose of achieving the long-term goal, so they kind of seem like they will flow logically from one to another. Even though I didn't achieve the 'location' part of my original short-term goal, it has formed a part of the revised short-term goal, so remains there but a bit more focused as to the why and how.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Guess I'll put 1 skill point into persuade and 2 skill points into finally getting some weapon training for my revolver since we keep getting into scraps.

HP: 1d6 4

Could you update my sheet?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Sorry I haven't been sorted everything out yet - had a lot on my mind lately. Will get back in the swing of things soon.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
It's all good - you're doing fine!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I believe you re-roll all of your hit dice upon level up (if you are a biological organism). So you might be able to upgrade that initial 3 HP from level 1 into something more appealing. "The player rolls both it and their existing hit dice to determine their new total. Their Constitution modifier is applied once for each level of the character. If the new total is less than the old, the character retains the old hit point total. A character’s hit points never go down when they rise in level."

Sorry I haven't been sorted everything out yet - had a lot on my mind lately. Will get back in the swing of things soon.
Yeah don't worry about it. No sense burning yourself out by trying to force out a post if you aren't in the right mindset for it.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Ack sorry guys I'm in the midst of helping my best friend move this week and I'm swamped between work and loading and unloading apartments. I'll try to have something up tomorrow. My bad!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I don't know if my character really fits in the game anymore. It seems that since we went espionage we've moved from Friefly style dynamics to non-stop AI robo-007-talk. Maybe Ellard should just bow gracefully out of this and go looking for his tribe.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
I think that's more of the direction recent discussion has taken. Has there been any word from Egregious? Any input Gordon may have on what's going on? I'd certainly like it to be more than the 2BotKrew, and I think we have plenty of plot hooks for when the Rhyne stuff is over!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I don't think that's necessarily the case Apocron. Of course if you feel that way and aren't enjoying the game anymore, then that's fair enough. I was certainly looking forward to exploring Ellard's story and themes though!

I find it difficult to balance things. Different characters have different arcs and themes to explore, and in an interstellar setting it doesn't make much sense to hop from one to the other, they kind of have to be dealt with in solid chunks before switching focus to someone else.

I want to reiterate that my intent is for the game to be shaped by all of us. If you feel the direction isn't fitting your character, or they're not getting enough of the spotlight, you're absolutely welcome to influence it rather than just waiting for me.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It's just at the minute we're spending pages and pages talking (and talking about what's been said) and I have no idea what's going on anymore or what we're supposed to do. If we could abbreviate things a little and move toward situations where there are clearer options that we can make decisions about that move toward action I'd be happier.

Edit: Forgive the melodrama. I guess I'm just itching to move forward to the next decision spot and the next scene in the drama.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 7, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I definitely know what you mean. Apologies if I've drowned the last few pages in text that weren't really decision points for people to participate in. Have been trying to data mine the situation as much as possible to avoid us getting blindsided by something like invisible assassins and their invisible tanks again, though that shouldn't come at the cost of your enjoyment. I was spoilering most of it so that people could skip over it guilt-free.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I mean you and Zepp seem to be doing a good job developing that line of enquiry so that's nice and maybe it is just me. In which case I don't want to hold you guys back.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Ultimately it's up to you. You should enjoy the game. If you don't, let's see what we can do to change that, but if you'd prefer to move on, that's fine too. I can understand your frustration.

If you're not enjoying the current storyline, perhaps you'd like to take a break, then dip back in when we're exploring a different one rather than quitting altogether?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Once I manage to shut down all my other on-the-go projects, being the signal analysis and such, I will get to work preparing a proper armature for Chatham. Wanted to get your thoughts on how I might modify a stock Nemesis armature, and the associated costs to do so. Essentially I have the following modifications in mind to the standard Nemesis hull:
pre:
Integrated Equipment
Remove >>	Laser Rifle (+2 Encumbrance)
Remove >>	Monoblade   (+2 Encumbrance)
Add >>		Thermal Pistol (-1 Encumbrance)
Add >>		TL4-Binoculars (-1 Encumbrance)
Add >>		Assault Suit (-2 Encumbrance)
Remain >>	Compad
I've tried to manage it such that the net encumbrance of the integrated equipment doesn't change. The laser rifle would be swapped out for a thermal pistol, and the monoblade would be removed entirely. The addition of the night vision binoculars is somewhat incidental, but the integrated assault suit definitely has an impact on its combat effectiveness.

I was largely thinking it might make sense to just add the base cost of the equipment? Technically there's nothing stopping him from wearing an assault suit and some binoculars on top of the armature, so integrating it really just simplifies the power supply of energy cells, and fits a bit better from a roleplay perspective. In that case the base cost to construct a Nemesis from scratch is 500cr, plus the cost of an assault suit of 6,000cr, and the cost of binoculars of (I think) 200cr. The price of a laser rifle and that of a thermal pistol is the same so theoretically those two could be swapped in the base armature without any impact to pricing. That's a base price of 6,700cr to manufacture, perhaps rounded up to 7,000cr for an extra few hundred credits for chrome rims everything and other stylistic additions to make it properly baller?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Hey guys. I'm really ill so I'm going to hold off on posting for a tiny bit until I get better, because something tells me my feverish ramblings wouldn't make much sense.

I'm certainly keen to have modifiable armatures, but not yet sure how to handle it. Rhyos, have you got any opinions?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
I'm cool with modifiable armatures. I was eventually looking to go that route anyway, coming up with a truly modular one.

As for posting, get well, dude! Maybe the downtime will help come up with some new ideas!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm back to being cognisant, so I'll make a post sometime this evening. You guys still need to agree on a name for the group! Whether it's only temporary and will be dropped as soon as cover is not needed, or whether you'll stick with it is entirely up to you.

I thought some more about armatures. I'm gonna give the go-ahead for the one you described, but I'd suggest you also look for inspiration in things like vehicle and mech fittings to see if anything could be applicable - I think that'd be more interesting than just regular equipment. I'd also like to either restrict it to Gen, or give Gen more options than Durandal as he has a spare tolerance point.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Aww, now I just feel special!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

I thought some more about armatures. I'm gonna give the go-ahead for the one you described, but I'd suggest you also look for inspiration in things like vehicle and mech fittings to see if anything could be applicable - I think that'd be more interesting than just regular equipment.
I agree, I just didn't want to start slamming on mech/vehicle-specific fittings that technically can't be done without discussing it. In all truth fusing an assault suit onto an armature, while technically no different from buying and wearing one outright, still multiplies his combat capabilities significantly right out of the gates.

If we want to start considering the possibility of adding mech and vehicle fittings onto an armature (which probably isn't unrealistic), we should probably start to figure out some house rules to upscale and downscale various technology. There are definitely vehicle fittings that I would want to slam onto an armature, but also onto a spaceship, as an example. Ghost driver is a good example of that, but according to the vehicle fitting guide it would require 1 Power and 1 Mass from a host vehicle. That makes it a bit harder to justify relative to spaceship fittings with the same guidance for power and mass consumption, but radically larger benefits to go along with the larger vehicle. Any thoughts on how you want to approach that?

I had initially thought some kind of upgrade/downgrade system might make sense to account for size, but it could be complicated (i.e. 1 spaceship mass = 3 or 5 vehicle/mech mass). Looking through the mech hull section in the core rulebook, and the vehicle fitting data in Engines of Babylon, there seems to be a fairly smooth progression between mech hull limitations and vehicle fitting limitations, being:
pre:
			Mass	Power	Hardpoints
Psi suit		   5        5	         1
Specialist suit		   5	   10	         1
Shock suit		  10	    5	         2
Gravcar			   3	    8	         1
Helicopter		   5	   11	         2
Gravtank		  10	   17	         4
If we assumed that all mech hull and vehicle fittings were interchangeable, we arrive at more or less the same result of a gravtank being able to kit itself out absolutely ridiculously, but a gravcar or mech suit being a bit more limited in its arsenal, which I think makes sense. I am not sure where you would want to land in terms of the available power and free mass for an armature, though it should probably be based on tolerance allocated to the task, I suspect.

An idea would probably be 1/1 for a basic tolerance 3 armature, +4 for each additional point of tolerance dedicated to modularity. That way Gen could have a 5/5 hull which is in line with a psi suit, while not strictly better than a much more expensive specialist or shock suit. That would work out more or less as follows:
pre:
			Mass	Power	Hardpoints
Basic armature (3)	   1        1	         0
Modular armature (4)	   5	    5	         1
Modular armature (5)	   9	    9	         2

vs.
Gravtank		  10	   17	         4
Presumably the cost of the fittings would not need to be modified from what is already within the core rulebook and/or Engines of Babylon, which serves to keep the upgrades a bit gated by being unaffordable right now.

I'd also like to either restrict it to Gen, or give Gen more options than Durandal as he has a spare tolerance point.
Given our backstories I think that makes total sense. Since I rolled Tech(pretech) 13 to understand the core holding his brain it is probably safe to assume I know the eccentricities of how he has to network with devices. I also sort of assume it is a radically different approach to how a true AI interfaces, so if we're fine with it I think we can assume any armature I build for him can only be used by him? For as long as he's in his pretech brain bubble at least.

That said it is probably worth noting that I think he has tolerance 4 for armatures, and I have tolerance 5 reserved for the same, so at some point I am pretty likely to slip into a world-ending calamity of an armature. It will likely be a space-based weapon of some sort, if I know myself.

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 12, 2016

• Locked thread