Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Waador posted:

Are we able to sell/buy the modular fittings on the ship? How will that process work? I assume installing or uninstalling anything will take a bit of time, but if I do it myself rather than using a team of technicians are we able to keep the costs on customizing the ship relatively low? Some of the missions will require different fittings so just need to plan around that.

Yep, you can definitely buy and sell. Selling is typically 20% of the base price, but as always you can negotiate or get creative to change that.

For time of changing loadouts, hardpoints are intended to change, so they take 24 hours with no check, 12 hours with a DC 6 check, and halving from there for every +2 increase to the roll. You need to call it ahead of time, though, because missing the roll wastes the time. For non-hardpoints, it takes a day per point of Mass and 12 hours per point of power, with a minimum of 12 hours. You also need to make sure you remove/add in the order to avoid going over the mass/power limits of the hull. Again, you can roll to reduce at +2 intervals starting at DC 6.

For cost, if you do it yourself you're not going to spend money, but most major spaceports/stations/etc. have labor you can hire, using the base rates.

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ok, trading in a nutshell from Suns of Gold:

quote:

Your far trader has an expertise score equal to their Business skill, their best applicable Culture skill for the world, and the highest of their Intelligence or Charisma modifiers. A cooperating group can use the highest available scores among participants.

Worlds have Friction representing taxes, bribes, tariffs, port fees, corrupt middlemen, local customs, and other drags on a far trader’s profit. A world’s Friction score usually ranges from 2 to 5, and is never less than 1 no matter how good the conditions- with one exception. If your party manages to pull off a scheme to avoid local exactions, the adventure can drop the Friction on a deal to 0.

To buy goods, roll 3d6. Subtract your expertise, add the world’s Friction, and add any modifiers the world may have for the type of good you’re buying. Compare the total to the sales chart and apply the modifier given to the cargo’s base price. That is the cost per ton for the following month.

To sell goods, do the same thing- but add your expertise and subtract the world’s Friction. Planetary modifiers are applied as normal. You can call off a deal before the trouble roll is made, but the price is fixed for one month.

In practice, I'm using this as a way to spice up high-value cargo, especially second-hand cargo, a bit; starships and their fittings match this need. There's also a +4 bump to Friction for hunting for a specific part; 588's website will directly reduce that over time to get you better deals buying and selling. The Friction for Caerleon is +2, and there's a -1 modifier for military fittings (the overlay and the drop pods). In practice, to average a profit you need to get your expertise above the planet's innate friction. Business drives that expertise, as does the Culture skill. The prices found are always good for a month.

This obviously trumps the "20% of base" I said above, because to be honest it didn't make sense for that rule to apply in high-value situations and that 20% is not reciprocated; you're expected to buy at the base price, maybe 20% off for used goods. That's a huge gap between buying and selling, and has never particularly felt fair to me in certain situations. But for low value or bulk trades? Yeah, you'll sell at 50%, 20% if it's hot.

For a good idea of what's going to fall into this special method of buying/selling, it's pretech items, starships and their fittings, cyberware, vehicles, and other major purchases done on the second hand market. Rule of thumb, if it's something you'd consider loans to buy, the second hand market would follow this rule; buildings, land, and other property like that are an exception to that rule. And a word of warning, a trouble roll follows sales like this, and one of the troubles when buying second hand is always going to be that you bought a lemon.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

FYI, I'll get a post out as soon as I can, but it turns out when you deliver a report that ends with "If we do not resolve the underlying issues causing this discrepancy prior to 01/01/2017, we will be out of compliance with our government contracts at the state and federal level; the likely result of this compliance violation would be the loss of our government contracts and the closure of [company]" it leads to a lot of meetings, phone calls, and general attention and work.

I have read everything, and I talked with Waador about the vehicle-to-starship conversion (1 starship power to 3 vehicle power, 2 starship mass to 3 vehicle mass, both rounded down with a minimum of 1); I just need to react to what you've posted. Feel free for Gen to invite Camisa in for an interview to keep that moving.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I am in the process of putting together my next post, but it looks like there are a few decision points where I will need some clarifications on the mechanics.

Mechanics posted:

For time of changing loadouts, hardpoints are intended to change, so they take 24 hours with no check, 12 hours with a DC 6 check, and halving from there for every +2 increase to the roll. You need to call it ahead of time, though, because missing the roll wastes the time. For non-hardpoints, it takes a day per point of Mass and 12 hours per point of power, with a minimum of 12 hours. You also need to make sure you remove/add in the order to avoid going over the mass/power limits of the hull. Again, you can roll to reduce at +2 intervals starting at DC 6. For cost, if you do it yourself you're not going to spend money, but most major spaceports/stations/etc. have labor you can hire, using the base rates.
How does the 'missing the roll wastes time' element work? If the base time is 24 hours, and I roll vs. DC 6 to accomplish the task in 12 hours, is 12 hours wasted on a failure, or is it the full 24 hours? Are there any other risks or consequences to failure in this installation/uninstallation process (other than wasted time)?

Plot posted:

To forge a new-in-box condition for the overlay, you need to pass an Int/Tech (Astro) check at DC 10 to pull that off yourself, or pay someone else to do it for you. What you're talking about is illegal, so the cost of hiring someone for this would be doubled. But if you do this, the Poly Overlay can sell for 150000 credits, doubling your money.
The cost for a Technician/Astronautic isn't actually listed in the book, should I assume it is equivalent to Technician/Postech (being 10cr per day for +0, 25cr per day for +1, and 100cr per day for +2)? As well, are these technicians considered experts (in that they get one re-roll per hour or attempt at a task), or are they just narrative experts without the mechanical benefit?

Separately, what are the anticipated consequences (if they are foreseeable) for failing at the check to forge the condition of the fitting as new-in-box? On a failed roll does this become wasted time to try the forging process again, or is it then a Perception/Int check to compare against pictures of the base model to try to notice that it isn't, in fact, a flawless reproduction in order to catch it before it is moved off the shop floor?

It seems likely that my strategy will be determined largely on how all of these pieces fit together.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Waador posted:

I am in the process of putting together my next post, but it looks like there are a few decision points where I will need some clarifications on the mechanics.

How does the 'missing the roll wastes time' element work? If the base time is 24 hours, and I roll vs. DC 6 to accomplish the task in 12 hours, is 12 hours wasted on a failure, or is it the full 24 hours? Are there any other risks or consequences to failure in this installation/uninstallation process (other than wasted time)?

Sorry, should have been clear, it's the 12 and not the 24 hours wasted.

quote:

The cost for a Technician/Astronautic isn't actually listed in the book, should I assume it is equivalent to Technician/Postech (being 10cr per day for +0, 25cr per day for +1, and 100cr per day for +2)? As well, are these technicians considered experts (in that they get one re-roll per hour or attempt at a task), or are they just narrative experts without the mechanical benefit?

Yes, the same cost would apply, and no, they are not Experts like the class. That's just flavor and the lack of a good thesaurus.

quote:

Separately, what are the anticipated consequences (if they are foreseeable) for failing at the check to forge the condition of the fitting as new-in-box? On a failed roll does this become wasted time to try the forging process again, or is it then a Perception/Int check to compare against pictures of the base model to try to notice that it isn't, in fact, a flawless reproduction in order to catch it before it is moved off the shop floor?

It seems likely that my strategy will be determined largely on how all of these pieces fit together.

It's the second; if you fail the forgery attempt, you need to roll to see if you notice you failed.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I think we're just waiting on Chatham to make the hire/no hire decision for Rao, and to conduct the interview with Camisa?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Sorry for the delay - bombshells on the homefront! We should be good to move on - since 588 went ahead and incorporated Roja into the plans, Gen grandfathered her employment in. As for Rao, he's keeping an eye on him, but sees no real reason to say no at the moment.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Waador posted:

I think we're just waiting on Chatham to make the hire/no hire decision for Rao, and to conduct the interview with Camisa?

Yep; I'm a fan of the fade to black, so I just need to get a go-no go on that and where you're going (Dynamene and Seda is what I'm expecting).

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
I can totally see Durandal pulling a Charlie/Charlie's Angels on this one.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Byers2142 posted:

Yep; I'm a fan of the fade to black, so I just need to get a go-no go on that and where you're going (Dynamene and Seda is what I'm expecting).

Absent Chatham's preference to go elsewhere, we'll head to Dynamene. Would prefer to do a bit of research on the planet before we leave so that I have time to buy appropriate supplies as necessary, but otherwise once the gang is all together we'll be ready to head there. Would suggest the next scene is probably in the interstellar spaceport hangar for the crew to get acquainted with the ship, while I sort out the last round of logistics in a post or two. People can fight over their bunks!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyos posted:

Sorry for the delay - bombshells on the homefront! We should be good to move on - since 588 went ahead and incorporated Roja into the plans, Gen grandfathered her employment in. As for Rao, he's keeping an eye on him, but sees no real reason to say no at the moment.

Just as well :v:, Gen probably wouldn't like Camisa's answers to most of his questions haha.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I've taken the ship design from page one and created a reasonably true-to-schematic visual representation, of the first deck at least. Since the second deck is really just a cargo bay and some guns there isn't much point at the moment.

Everyone gets their own room! The ship can technically be flown by one person but there's room on the bridge for five.

I installed and hid the armory and sensor array behind the security doors in engineering. Though I may move them closer to the bridge if people want to double up in bedrooms!~

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 5, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I think we're essentially good to go? Though I assume the long weekend has trapped up everyone's schedules a bit.

As a quick note, I decided to trim the course repeatedly on the journey from Caerleon to Seda, with in-system trimming from Caerleon to the outer rim, drill trimming from Caerleon to Dynamene, and in-system trimming from the outer rim to Seda. Things could have gone terribly wrong, but the rolls worked out, so that's a plus. We end up saving nearly two days in transit! I'll include that in a retroactive mission briefing/journey post once the next update is in play, but wanted to mention it.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
...hopefully nothing unfortunate has happened to Byers. :ohdear:

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
:ohdear:

Just in case this revs back up, I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow. I'll still be checking in!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Rhyos posted:

:ohdear: Just in case this revs back up, I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow. I'll still be checking in!
I'm out of town next week for work as well, so it'll probably be a quiet one. I'd say we should give Byers another week given that we all seem to be busy anyway, hopefully everything is okay on his end. If not, I didn't actually intend to leave the ship during the Dynamene/Seda adventure anyway, so I can probably take the reins on writing the narrative if it comes down to that. Problematically I'd really rather play this game than run it but I'm liking the group of players and setting so don't really want to let it die one way or another.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Hoping you're doing okay Byers :ohdear:.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Stay safe Byers ghost.

This game is cursed. :negative:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
With no word yet from Byers, I'll take the reins on the Seda mission and start posting on Saturday. I have enough content in mind to get us through a reasonably interesting self-contained adventure on that planet. If Byers isn't back by the time we get through that one, I've queued up a friend of mine to take the game on (hopefully) so that I can jump back into the party post-Seda. Either way that'll keep us going for another month or two while you guys enjoy all that beautiful Seda has to offer.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
In terms of storage/bunk space/inventory, Gen may just hold up in the workshop/storage area with the armatures. Speaking of which - to my recollection, Gen now has the Echo of himself, the Robomination, the squawkbox, and the surplus one he started with - is that last one scrapped, or functional?

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 28, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
The surplus one got reduced to 0 hit points as I recall. At that point it's largely a narrative difference, since it costs 500cr to build a new Nemesis, and 50cr per hit point to repair it otherwise. With 10hp on a Constitution 14 Nemesis at level two, it would cost the same amount either way. Practically I don't recall CID repairing that one since they just decided to foot the bill on parts for a new one, so you technically probably still have it, but in a state where it is scrap at 0 HP and awaiting repair. I believe it read such that they covered the repair bill on your Robocop suit though, so presumably that one is back in fighting form.

SWN pg. 161 posted:

Repairing an armature requires the work of a technician with at least Tech/Postech-1 skill. An AI can always repair its own armature regardless of skill, provided it has not been reduced to zero hit points. A full maintenance cycle can repair all damage and requires 24 hours of work, divided by the tech’s Tech/Postech skill rating, at a cost of 50 credits per hit point repaired and the use of a postech toolkit. A technician can perform a field overhaul with ten minutes of work and a metatool, repairing up to half the AI’s maximum hit points at the same cost in spare parts. Only one field overhaul can be performed between each full maintenance cycle. Fifty credits worth of spare parts count as one item for encumbrance purposes, and can be bundled up to five at a time.
Given your habit of being shot in the face it might not be a bad idea to purchase some spare parts.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Hey guys. I'm sorry, but due to life stuff I just can't continue. :(

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Hey guys. I'm sorry, but due to life stuff I just can't continue. :(

No worries, sorry to see you go though!

I guess with just ADP and Rhyos we'll need to inject some new blood into this once you guys get planet-side.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Likewise - hope everything gets sorted out! Thanks again for coming up with a great game and ideas - we'll do you proud!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I put out the call for new players, but so far no responses. It doesn't make much sense to me to continue with only two players long-term, but I guess we could run out this scenario as such? What do you guys prefer? Alternatively if you know anyone that wants to join in let them know I guess.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
I'm always up for continuing, but retention is certainly an issue. I'm willing to continue so long as someone's willing to run.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I'm fine either way, but I'm leaning toward pulling the plug. It'd be a shame to lose the game, but if it's just going to continue to hemorrhage GMs and players it'd probably be best to just put it out of its misery.

We've got piles of plot lines laying around that are now being filtered third hand down the line, it's hit the point where it'd make more sense for someone wanting to run a SWN game to just start their own new one and if we had new blood looking to join as players they'd be getting shoehorned in fairly hard.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I think it probably makes more sense to just call it. With no sign of Byers returning and no bites on the call for new players we're in a bit of a tough spot. Not really the end I was hoping for given the quality of the player group, but it's just another in the long lines of games who died before their time to pile upon my throne of broken dreams.

Hopefully I get a chance to play with you again some time Rhyos! If you notice anyone else starting a new game under this system feel free to let me know, I imagine I'd be up for it.

ADP SBM I imagine I'll continue to see you everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Likewise! Zeppelin, you put together some great ideas, Byers had a yeoman's job in taking up that mantle. If you guys get dragged into any other games, feel free to hit me up!

• Locked thread