Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'll come back to this but here's my rolls.

Stats: 6#3d6 16 12 13 11 11 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Can we shuffle points around or just switch rolls?

Thinking about making an expert doctor type but I'd like to roll the whole random background so I don't know how that'll work out.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
So far with my rolls I have

Background: Space Habitat
Status/Wealth: Elite Courtesan
Hardship: Zenofungal Infection (-1 Con)

Life Event (Xenofungal Infection)
Outcome: Completely Negative
Initiated by: A parent, family head or work superior
Quality affected: Relationship with intiator
Conflict figured: A struggle with your own nature or personality
Consequence: Gained a scar
Other element: A harsh local custom

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I should have time tomorrow to actually flesh out a character sheet.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I had a question I wanted to ask. What's the best way to contact you?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Sorry only got time to outline my character. Hope it's alright.

Sheet

Ellard was born and raised in space. His whole life spent as part of a migrating tribe of spacers. He was selected from a young age to be a physician and part of the caste that maintained the life support systems on the ship that held the leaders of the community. However, one time, when the tribe had settled in orbit over a life supporting planet it was discovered that the atmosphere held a fungal virus that was hazardous to life, particularly for a recycled habitat such as his tribe used. One of the exploring party was a member of the ruling family but was infected as part of the party that investigated the planet. Ellard violated the quarantine to attempt to cure them but was unable to save them. In turn he was infected and exiled to the next planet the tribe came into contact with which happened to be Caerleon. Completely abandoned on the new planet Ellard took the only medical position he could find at a prison.

Homeworld

A nomadic space tribe with a Japanese feudal flavour.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah I was thinking about asking, "what if the xenofungal infection itself was sentient?" but then I reckoned I don't need to be adding more layers of complexity when I'm already this slow!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

quote:

Ellard
Did you leave behind someone important to you?

Is your wrath directed towards specific individuals, or the tribe as a whole?

As a crew member on the capital ship of the tribe Ellard was expected to work nearly constantly. But as part of his routine he ended up caring for a girl related to the ruling family. In planet bound societies she might be considered something like a princess. Her name was Leuelle. The relationship wasn't illicit in any way as they only met in the privacy of the clinic but Ellard always thought that she scheduled check ups more often than was strictly necessary. As he was sentenced to life in a Vac suit and exile he also thought he had seen her in the audience looking troubled. These subtle interactions weren't anything he had certainty concerning, but the thought that she might miss him have him a little comfort as he struggles with life on a barbarous planet.

Ellard hates the head of his former tribe, Precept Farrol. Although his judgement on Ellard was just by the rules of their legal system, Ellard feels like all of his service was for nothing. What good is a society that will exile one of its own for following his heart. He wishes he could go back and break the rules of the society, bring them down to planet side and see how their rules work outside of their perfect ships.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I updated my sheet with my background and package skills and updated my equipment.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm fine with Gen being a monster in combat. Seems appropriate.

I can't edit the sheet where I am now but maybe a goal to finding Leuelle (the girl who was important to him). If that's too close to his revenge goal then maybe saving someone's life or engineering a biological weapon?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Am I right that we don't get to choose skills apart from our background and package? (Unless you got a skill/any) I'm pretty happy with my skills but if I meant to ask.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I got

Personal Skill Knack: 1d8 6

Which is: Born linguist. Can convey basic words in any tongue.

Could be useful if we have to deal with the aliens!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Are we gonna try and get new players or just keep going with what we have?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'll save posting about cover stuff until we know who the new team members are.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm still around. Just waiting for the new players to get their stuff together.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah Zepp, you can tell how much effort you put in. This is a fun game and it's only starting.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I want to meet Aliens.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Moving this stat discussion out of the main thread. I appreciate that when you switch around the stats I apply to Tech/Medical you're trying to catch some of the dynamics of individual situations. Maybe you could argue on a shaking ship that I need to use dexterity to keep my balance, at the minute we're talking about wisdom to think clearly in a rush. But the truth is that I designed my character to be a great doctor and waiting for a roll just to see if you're going to grant me my attribute bonus or not isn't exciting but frustrating. I looked at the definition of intelligence in the rulebook:

quote:

Memory, logic, and the capacity to think quickly. Characters with high Intelligence are well-suited to coping with complex technical skills and mentally demanding professions. Those with low Intelligence might take a while to reach a conclusion, or forget important details.

Now I could argue that "think quickly" is exactly what I need to do right now rather than "judgement" which is what it mentions in the wisdom entry (which I think is more moral judgement) but the root of the problem is that I don't want to argue. Whether I succeed or not on a roll is already tense for me without worrying about having to try and justify why I should have my intelligence bonus. So can we just say in the future that I can apply my intelligence to Tech/Med rolls and if you want to make the situation more demanding or dynamic you can include those factors in the DC value?

Edit: I just want to reiterate I'm really enjoying the game and just want to clarify these rules for the future.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 18, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for understanding. Will post later.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Guess I'll put 1 skill point into persuade and 2 skill points into finally getting some weapon training for my revolver since we keep getting into scraps.

HP: 1d6 4

Could you update my sheet?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I don't know if my character really fits in the game anymore. It seems that since we went espionage we've moved from Friefly style dynamics to non-stop AI robo-007-talk. Maybe Ellard should just bow gracefully out of this and go looking for his tribe.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It's just at the minute we're spending pages and pages talking (and talking about what's been said) and I have no idea what's going on anymore or what we're supposed to do. If we could abbreviate things a little and move toward situations where there are clearer options that we can make decisions about that move toward action I'd be happier.

Edit: Forgive the melodrama. I guess I'm just itching to move forward to the next decision spot and the next scene in the drama.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I mean you and Zepp seem to be doing a good job developing that line of enquiry so that's nice and maybe it is just me. In which case I don't want to hold you guys back.

• Locked thread