Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, that's all clear as mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
God, gently caress this game. Watching with morbid interest, you crazy bastard.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
As a huge fan of Parasite Eve 1 (2 is okay) I tried so hard to like this game. I got somewhere? I had almost no idea what I was doing the entire time I played and got to I think Episode 2 before just putting it away and never playing again. I remember the controls being wonky, and the game not being fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game pushed the PSP to its graphical limits and had really great music, and that's about the only good things I can say about it because the story and characters were awful. As we shall soon see. Square had a real problem during this time period which persists to this day about its games being loving gorgeous for the senses and wretched for the sensibilities.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
It's about fourteen years since I last played Parasite Eve/2 and I'm still sure it's in my top five of "Biology doesn't work that way".

Number one being Resident Evil because holy poo poo SCIENCE.

I mean really; Mitochondria, Organ Transplants, Eldritch Abomination, Ultimate Being, New York, Aya looking 25 despite being 40 don't tell me that's part of her powers.

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 29, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really don't want to think about this awful mess but here we are. Have fun putting your local liquor store's kids through college :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sorry.:smith:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

And the reimagining of the series protagonist is well… Have you ever played Metroid: Other M? You know Samus Aran’s lovely portrayal in that game? Yeah. She may as well be loving Ellen Ripley compared to Aya in The 3rd Birthday. It's incredibly bad!

Uh, I've not played this game, and I don't have any reason to doubt you when it comes to bottom-of-the-barrel gaming, but I'm reasonably certain that this is physically impossible.

I eagerly await this game's attempts to prove me wrong, however.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
Perfect timing - I just finished reading the excellent LPs of Parasite Eve 1 and 2 in the archive, so now I get to witness the full measure of how badly SE hosed the series up! ... :smith:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, this is some kind of belated April Fools joke or something, right Id? You're not actually this much of a masochist to LP this game, are you? I mean, it's great to see another LP and all from you, but when I suggested you play Parastie Eve at the end of FFX, this is not what I wanted. I would never wish this on you.

Kavak posted:

Third Birthday, more like Turd Birthday amiright? :v:

It's been too long since you played something that sucked on every level- Limbo of the Lost was like 6 years ago, right?

Limbo of the Lost is a god drat masterpiece of gaming and storytelling compared to this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I have heard things about this game. Bad things. I look forward to the upcoming trainwreck.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My anime gender radar is malfunctioning. Totally thought Dr. Blank was a woman until I watched the video.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, this game... Well... I liked it. More the gameplay than the story though.

The story was awful and that is me saying it. I can tolerate the worst things. I even genuinely like "The strange case of the end of civilization as we know it". But the story of this? UGH!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

No Gravitas posted:

I even genuinely like "The strange case of the end of civilization as we know it".
I can put you under the stairs!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LEGO Genetics posted:

It's about fourteen years since I last played Parasite Eve/2 and I'm still sure it's in my top five of "Biology doesn't work that way".

Number one being Resident Evil because holy poo poo SCIENCE.

I mean really; Mitochondria, Organ Transplants, Eldritch Abomination, Ultimate Being, New York, Aya looking 25 despite being 40 don't tell me that's part of her powers.

And it all came from a Japanese novel about how the only thing worse than people who provide organ transplants are the people who get them, and those people need to be punished with a raping.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Id noooooooooo

I mean. Yeah, I'm part of the problem for enjoying your LPs, as you probably wouldn't do it if you didn't have an audience. But I legit worry for you at this point, dude.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Litany Unheard posted:

My anime gender radar is malfunctioning. Totally thought Dr. Blank was a woman until I watched the video.
I wasn't looking at the video at the time and was super confused to hear a male voice reading those lines.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Wow. Third Birthday. I remember wanting to get it back in the day, since PE 1 and 2 were pretty fun and unique games. Yeah, the plots got amazingly stupid, but it was cool controlling badass cop Aya Brea, who uses magic powers take on these crazy monsters monsters that escaped from a nearby survival horror game.

I thankfully dodged that bullet after learning how absolute GARBAGE this game actually is, though it's been years since I've seen anything about it, so I've forgotten exactly HOW bad this shitheap is. I don't remember what the twist is about Aya at all, so my guess is that she's some sort of clone. I would have gone with amnesia as the answer, but frankly, that doesn't sound nearly enough stupid for this game.

Still, Godspeed, Dark Id, you poor bastard

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Its only been a 5 minute video and I already hate this, and I haven't even finished either Parasite Eve game. Really hope more series will realize the best way to kill a franchise is ripping off MGS1.

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
I bought this game less than a month after its US release during a depression-fuelled binge purchase session of videogames.

Of all the games I bought in that span of time, this was easily the most nauseating, boring, incomprehensible bullshit I bothered to play in 2011.

I loving love that you're playing this, id.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Oh no. Oh no no no

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The only reason I can come up with for your willingness to torture yourself with this game is to find some way to kill time until the inevitable Nier 2 LP.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Oh, was it the original typo? It had been fixed by the time I saw it. Sadly, there are no overdrives. This isn't something good like JoJo. It is bad, and I wonder how much alcohol will be consumed to make this LP.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for taking this game on. I translated a good chunk of it (the non-voiced stuff, I think), but never played it myself beyond a few minutes with a test PSP.

Incidentally, SQEX told me there were contractual reasons they/we couldn't outwardly represent The 3rd Birthday as a Parasite Eve game, even though it certainly was a successor in spirit if nothing else. Nothing to do with marketability.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Artix posted:

Christ Id, why do you do this to yourself? You had earned that break after dealing with FFX's bullshit endgame!

Because schadenfreude.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I will never loving forgive this miserable shitpile of a game.

Like, Parasite Eve 1 and 2 are dumb as poo poo. The main plots are completely ridiculous. But the characters were actually pretty cool! Aya was a legit badass monster hunter and action hero, her partner Daniel was willing to leap out of a helicopter while on fire to get poo poo done, things were cool. This, though? We're in for a hell of a shitstorm.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks for taking this game on. I translated a good chunk of it (the non-voiced stuff, I think), but never played it myself beyond a few minutes with a test PSP.

Incidentally, SQEX told me there were contractual reasons they/we couldn't outwardly represent The 3rd Birthday as a Parasite Eve game, even though it certainly was a successor in spirit if nothing else. Nothing to do with marketability.

Is that right? Do you have any other interesting trivia about the translation job that could come up later?

...Wait. We've got an LP of a game that is the most hated in the franchise and a translator for that game in the audience...

OH GOD IT'S THE DRAGON SONG LP ALL OVER AGAIN

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

Is that right? Do you have any other interesting trivia about the translation job that could come up later?

...Wait. We've got an LP of a game that is the most hated in the franchise and a translator for that game in the audience...

OH GOD IT'S THE DRAGON SONG LP ALL OVER AGAIN

Dragon Song? What did I miss?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

ManlyGrunting posted:

1) a clone, hence "3rd Birthday" since she is only a few years old
2) they caught her clubbing (hence the clothes) and she is drunk out of her gourd. :v:

At first, I was on the clone train as well, but then I remembered that time travel is involved in this story. And given the Flash show's problems with that, I'm going with Aya being a time remnant because of the Speed Force (or whatever the equivalent is in this game). She's not a clone, she's a time copy. Physically, she's Aya, but there's another Aya Prime running around out there somewhere with all of the memories and experience. And the time copy was created three years ago, hence "the 3rd birthday."

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh boy, this game. I notice there's not nearly enough hate towards one Mr. Motoru Toriyama, AKA that loving maniac who kept forcing Lightning on us. He was highly involved in this trainwreck.
It's funny, I actually had some fun with the gameplay the first time around. But subsequent playthroughs made me realize how absolutely, ridiculously hosed the balance of the game and all its systems is.

To anyone who has not played or seen the first game: I urge you to go back and do so. Because, see, while to an average player this game will just leave them thinking "Man that was some lovely Japanese scifi, whatever", anyone who was a fan of the series before this will feel like they were mentally and emotionally abused by how much Aya Brea is mutilated.

Speaking of Aya Brea, she's voiced by the lady who does Miranda in Mass Effect. She has an interview about it here. EDIT: Ok actually don't watch this right now, but keep it in mind for later chapters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5k9udh3TEc
Skip to The 3rd Minute (see what I did there) since there's some gameplay footage first that spoils some of the game. Pretty much everything she says about the story will be proven wrong as we progress.

I hear SE are copyright claim happy with this game, especially the ending, will you be safe posting cutscenes and such?

busysignal posted:

This game is amazing at stripping away just about everything good from the Parasite Eve series. At least the soundtrack's good, since they got back the composer of the first game.
They actually didn't, I'm pretty sure Yoko Shimomura didn't make anything new for this game. The reason you see her name in in-game tracks or on the credits is because they got someone else to remix or extend music she had originally composed for Parasite Eve . We'll see this as the game goes on.

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, IIRC their contract or license with the original author for the Parasite Eve books ran out and they were no longer allowed to use the name, or something like that.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 29, 2016

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

HR12345 posted:

Dragon Song? What did I miss?

This:

http://lparchive.org/Lunar-Dragon-Song/

It was an incredibly lovely addition to the Lunar series, and the thread was graced by a goon who did a lot of work helping to translate the game giving us some interesting commentary on it.

It's more of a thematic similarity than anything else.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Question from someone who never had a Playstation growing up: are the first two games worth playing? I'm excited to see this apparent train wreck of a game, but I don't really have the same disgust for this game that many others in the thread seem to have towards it. Am I missing out by not playing these games or have they not aged well?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scribe13 posted:

Question from someone who never had a Playstation growing up: are the first two games worth playing? I'm excited to see this apparent train wreck of a game, but I don't really have the same disgust for this game that many others in the thread seem to have towards it. Am I missing out by not playing these games or have they not aged well?

Both games are actually pretty great and fun for different reasons. Parasite Eve 1 is more like a gun-based action-RPG with ATB gauges and poo poo, while PE2 is more like a conventional survival horror game with better combat and some RPG elements. Both are ridiculously silly but neat enough.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Scribe13 posted:

Most PS1 games haven't aged very well, but that's where LPs come in! Someone above mentioned that the previous games' LPs on the archive are good, so I'd start there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, if you just want to get the characters and stuff so you can know what, exactly, this game shits all over, Crowetron's LPs are top notch.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Scribe13 posted:

The first game is a fantastic RPG made during Square's halcyon days on the Playstation, the second game is a decent Resident Evil clone that doesn't match the original's charm, but is still a pretty fun game.

I reccomend everyone reading this LP play at least the first game, if only to understand the level of vitriol everyone possesses toward 3rd Birthday.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
oh my god he's doing it

the pain
the pain

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I love Parasite Eve and I know enough about this game to know why I probably shouldn't read this LP. Let's just say the complete lack of "Parasite Eve" in the title bleeds through into every other aspect of this game.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

I honestly don't remember much about it; it was six years ago, and I've worked on a lot of stuff since. From what I do remember, it was a pretty straightforward translation job with no drama. Sorry. :(

Maybe this LP will jog my memory, though. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HGH posted:

Oh boy, this game. I notice there's not nearly enough hate towards one Mr. Motoru Toriyama, AKA that loving maniac who kept forcing Lightning on us. He was highly involved in this trainwreck.

I railed on Toriyama for a while over this game, but as much as I hate to admit it, Tabata's fingerprints are all over it as well. If Type-0 is anything to go by, he's really into convoluted metaphysical time-travel stuff that's even more incomprehensible than average for JRPG's, and he's not exactly a saint either when it comes to creepy material.

I hope he reins it in for FFXV, at least.

• Locked thread