Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I actually enjoy the gameplay of this, diving and shooting people and whatever, but the story is such a massive poo poo show of what the hell without being dumb charming like the PS era of RE/Parasite Eve 1/2 and Aya...Aya why...whyyy...why clothing damage, whyyy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

NeruVolpi posted:

Is it just me or Aya does look a hell lot like remake / Crisis Core Cloud?

Nomura.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Also, that's clearly Hojo in a blonde wig.

Naw. A guy who is clearly just straight up Dirge of Cerberus' Hojo wearing a different outfit shows up later.

SelenicMartian posted:

Worse. In Japan T3B Aya and FF13 Lightning were voiced by the same actress. Bear that and appearance similarities in mind whenever the game strips her for reasons, like it did just now.

To further that, the "Scenario Director" of The 3rd Birthday, the one partly responsible for this game's plot being a flaming wreck alongside Hajime Tabata, is Motomu Toriyama aka Captain I-Want-To-gently caress-Lightning. Indeed, this is what he was working on prior to directing the two Final Fantasy XIII sequels. Which explains a lot.

Rangpur posted:

"Well gently caress you too, buddy."

I used Google searched that name and found the one jazz musician that had that name. Anyone who'd name their kid that is a pretentious rear end in a top hat or JRPG writer looking for an ethnic name. :colbert:

YeOldeButchere posted:

Uh, I've not played this game, and I don't have any reason to doubt you when it comes to bottom-of-the-barrel gaming, but I'm reasonably certain that this is physically impossible.

I eagerly await this game's attempts to prove me wrong, however.

A gameplay mechanic is Aya's clothes tear off when she takes damage to the point she's just in her bra and panties and some shredded cloth. :geno:

Litany Unheard posted:

My anime gender radar is malfunctioning. Totally thought Dr. Blank was a woman until I watched the video.

Blank is supposed to be like 16-17, which in Tetsuya Nomura terms means essentially a flatchested woman.

Fabulousvillain posted:

Its only been a 5 minute video and I already hate this, and I haven't even finished either Parasite Eve game. Really hope more series will realize the best way to kill a franchise is ripping off MGS1.

It doesn't really rip off Metal Gear Solid 1. That's just my go-to comparison for support team when one person with a gun is doing all the work in video games. Metal Gear Solid 1 is much more coherent and straightforward.

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks for taking this game on. I translated a good chunk of it (the non-voiced stuff, I think), but never played it myself beyond a few minutes with a test PSP.

Incidentally, SQEX told me there were contractual reasons they/we couldn't outwardly represent The 3rd Birthday as a Parasite Eve game, even though it certainly was a successor in spirit if nothing else. Nothing to do with marketability.

I figured they lost the rights to the Parasite Eve name (it was technically a licensed title) but hell if I could ever track down anything concretely stating that was the case. And every interview had the party line of "we wanted to reinvent Aya since it's been a decade! (Ignore the Compilation of FF7)" Still, it was originally announced as Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday when it was a mobile game. So I guess desire to dump money on licensing fees to jump to a proper handheld wasn't in the cards.

HGH posted:

I hear SE are copyright claim happy with this game, especially the ending, will you be safe posting cutscenes and such?

They actually didn't, I'm pretty sure Yoko Shimomura didn't make anything new for this game. The reason you see her name in in-game tracks or on the credits is because they got someone else to remix or extend music she had originally composed for Parasite Eve . We'll see this as the game goes on.

I'll have to host the ending somewhere besides Youtube, but the rest will probably be fine other than Square-Enix maybe trying to potentially make 15 cents out of putting an ad on videos.

And yeah, Yoko Shimomura didn't have much to do with this one. They just remixed/reused/sampled a lot of tracks from Parasite Eve 1. As such, the music for this game isn't bad. It looks really drat nice for a PSP game and the music isn't bad.</Compliments for The 3rd Birthday>

Scribe13 posted:

Question from someone who never had a Playstation growing up: are the first two games worth playing? I'm excited to see this apparent train wreck of a game, but I don't really have the same disgust for this game that many others in the thread seem to have towards it. Am I missing out by not playing these games or have they not aged well?

Parasite Eve 1 is still good if you enjoy old PSX JRPGs. It's got an interesting insane plot and a pretty cool combat system. It's also only like 12-15 hours long. It's the one-night stand of JRPGs. Parasite Eve 2 is a Resident Evil clone with RPG elements and is pretty clunky. Your mileage may vary with that one, depending on how you can stomach survival horror. Alternately, LPs exist for getting through clunky old PSX games. :v:

Oxxidation posted:

I railed on Toriyama for a while over this game, but as much as I hate to admit it, Tabata's fingerprints are all over it as well. If Type-0 is anything to go by, he's really into convoluted metaphysical time-travel stuff that's even more incomprehensible than average for JRPG's, and he's not exactly a saint either when it comes to creepy material.

I hope he reins it in for FFXV, at least.

Toriyama is probably responsible for a lot of creepy bullshit that made it into the game. But yeah, after playing a chunk of Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Tabata's a shitshow too and the fact he's helming Final Fantasy XV gets a big "hoooo boy, brace yourself" out of me.

Anyway, I'll have an update later this afternoon taking us through the rest of Episode 0/The Tutorial. In which Aya Brea uses hapless soldiers as disposable meat puppets and the game's premises immediately buckles under the slightest scrutiny.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 29, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my brother was very excited when he heard there was a new parasite eve game. when i told him about the clothing damage thing he flatly denied that any such thing was possible. that was really all i knew about the game at the time, but in hindsight that mechanic is so incredibly minor compared to every other terrible aspect of this game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Pladdicus posted:

why clothing damage, whyyy.

Wait, what is this now?

Edit: On second thought, never mind, I'm sure TDI will cover it in the Let's Play.

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 29, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I completely forgot about this mechanic, it's basically the bottom rung in the "poo poo that pisses me off about this game" meter.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Dark Id posted:

Parasite Eve 1 is still good if you enjoy old PSX JRPGs. It's got an interesting insane plot and a pretty cool combat system. It's also only like 12-15 hours long. It's the one-night stand of JRPGs. Parasite Eve 2 is a Resident Evil clone with RPG elements and is pretty clunky. Your mileage may vary with that one, depending on how you can stomach survival horror. Alternately, LPs exist for getting through clunky old PSX games. :v:

I think the clunkiest element of Parasite Eve 1 is the way that plot scenes play out. I don't know why but the people who coded it didn't figure out how to make text scroll while character models are moving, so every scene plays out with a character walking from point A to point B, then all the text has to scroll at a speed you can't change, then they do an animation. As a result it makes every single plot scene take twice as long as it should. I didn't notice at the time, but now that I've gotten used to characters being able to walk and talk or talk and do something at the same time I can't unsee it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

And it all came from a Japanese novel about how the only thing worse than people who provide organ transplants are the people who get them, and those people need to be punished with a raping.

I read the plot summary on Wikipedia so I know what you're talking about and it still doesn't make sense. Much like the plot of this game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Has anyone asked the important question yet? Can Aya still shoot rockets out of a pea shooter?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Has anyone asked the important question yet? Can Aya still shoot rockets out of a pea shooter?

no.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

The Dark Id posted:

Meet Aya Brea, the protagonist of The 3rd Birthday and the Parasite Eve series prior to it. If you think that’s an unusual name for a blonde haired, blue eyed white girl, that’s because Aya is supposed to be half-Japanese. So it’s okay for Japanese nerds to think she’s hot and Nomura to be really creepy sexual with her concept art in the games. Despite that not really being reflected much at all in the actual games. Well… until The 3rd Birthday.

Aya is also pushing 40, despite her youthful looks. That’s because the mitochondria in her body have de-aged her to keep her in top physical condition.

The huge amount of sexualization Aya gets in this game becomes really, really, deeply creepy when you find out the twist.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This sounded interesting when it came out so I got it. Before I got round to actually playing it I heard other things about it and realised I probably actually didn't. It's still hanging out in a dark corner of the room I think.

Also what the hell is up with those exclamation points? They look drunk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

McDragon posted:

Also what the hell is up with those exclamation points? They look drunk.

Probably holdovers from the Japanese font. Japanese fonts are usually fixed-width, so sometimes in Japanese games, they'll slant the exclamation points so they don't look weird and have a lot of space around them, seeing as exclamation points are quite thin. It was pretty common during like the NES days.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

HGH posted:

I completely forgot about this mechanic, it's basically the bottom rung in the "poo poo that pisses me off about this game" meter.

...What the gently caress is this game?

(Also the pic was of Thelonius Monk, a very influential jazz musician).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

1/2 waifu wank fantasy, 1/2 standard JRPG batshittery.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I thought you were kidding about time-travel being a thing at first but then I kept on reading and oh dear sweet merciful lord it's gonna be one of THOSE games, isn't it? :suicide:

Anyways heres a brief plot recap of Parasite Eve 1 for those of you just joining in:

I'M SO...
HOT!

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
Having actually played a fair amount of this game before being spoiled on everything, I will say I actually do sort of like it. Even if I never beat it. I can understand why people hate it, but like other games I like that everyone seems to hate, I still like it. I just think of it as it's own game, that just happens to have a similarly named character.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This game.

This loving game.

There are no words. There's anguished screaming, yes, but no words, per se.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Someone gave me this game years ago. I still haven't touched it. I completely expect this LP to change my mind and make me play it by showing all the good parts about it. Or give it to a friend of mine that's a huge parasite eve fan as a friendly 'gently caress you'.
On a scale from one to ten, how creepy does it become? In a horror genre sense, that is. I think the other two games were somewhat horror.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Drachir D Nalem posted:

On a scale from one to ten, how creepy does it become? In a horror genre sense, that is. I think the other two games were somewhat horror.

Zero. It's straight up bland cover shooter from one end to the other. Sometimes they try some body horror but we'll see why that falls on its face soon enough. Now the Motomu Toriyama kind of creepy on the other hand is off the charts.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh you stole that thread title from ChorpSway, who...stole it from the movie, but still. I'm already 5-ing this thread as hard as I can.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Why time travel? Why why why why why? Someone help me understand!

:negative:

Is there some legislation that I'm not aware of that forces devs to include time travel if their game's story gets lovely enough? Did a federal auditor stop by and say, "Listen, you've already got an idiot's idea of biology and constant sexualization of a female protagonist in your game. With a story this bad you need to include time travel also or you're looking at a $1.5 million fine. Them's the rules."

Time travel is always included in every bad story and it never helps. It never ever helps. You know this, we all know this. They do it anyway!

I need to know why.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I guess Square figures it worked in Chrono Trigger and wants to try to recapture that magic?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Ground floor. This is already shaping up to be a masterpiece :allears:

The Dark Id posted:

Toriyama is probably responsible for a lot of creepy bullshit that made it into the game. But yeah, after playing a chunk of Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Tabata's a shitshow too and the fact he's helming Final Fantasy XV gets a big "hoooo boy, brace yourself" out of me.

Well, poo poo. I was actually looking forward to XV. Now I'll look forward to it for completely different reasons.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
can we just bury this in a casket, with a tombstone and a funeral and everything, rip PE, then burn this garbage and pretend it never existed?

i don't think my heart can take this pain

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Now I'm kind of looking forward to this after all the replies.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And it all came from a Japanese novel about how the only thing worse than people who provide organ transplants are the people who get them, and those people need to be punished with a raping.
:stare:
Please tell me you're joking.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

:stare:
Please tell me you're joking.

According to the Plot Summary on the Wikipedia page for the novel, no, the rape is apparently done to perform the F.E.A.R. 2 Alma Wade method of fertilization, not that that makes it any better. But then again I would take anything found on Wikipedia with a grain of salt, because I wouldn't be surprised if both were true. What is wrong with Japanese writers?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part II: Meat Puppets

Previously on The 3rd Birthday, Manhattan was razed by hundred foot tall tentacles. A year later, a former NYPD detective/FBI agent had her soul sent back in time to possibly possess a random soldier. Let’s see where we go from here, shall we?

New Music: Beginning of Breeding

Welcome to the actual gameplay of The 3rd Birthday. This is, of course, running on an emulator. But it is a pretty good looking game for something originally hailing from the PSP. Square-Enix did some impressive work on that console. Episode 0 is, unsurprisingly, a tutorial. But the support staff has some one-sided exposition to deliver first (Aya doesn’t really talk back much ever.) So I’ll let them talk. Dialogue coming in over the radio appears in the top-left corner.

The Overdive device sent your conscience there.
Just in case you forgot the primary function of the device you just crawled into. Little FYI.
The Sacrifice Incident from a year ago - It's the area where the Babel appeared.
In case you're wondering, you're inside a National Guard, Aya. But your body is still inside the CTI building.
We're going to get your started. Blank will navigate you. Don't forget that you're in a war zone. The troops involved in the Sacrifice Incident were annihilated. It's been reported that they ran into some enormous Twisted called Reapers.
I can tell you one thing - they're gonna be a huge pain.
First, we need to get our hands on any information we can.
Could I have a refresher on a few things. Such as most of those proper nouns…?
Aya, focus on your mission.

The final goal is to destroy the Babel's core - the Big Orb.

So, we have essentially just brain-jacked this soldier here for the mission. The game takes a while to mention it properly, but we’re not actually physically Aya Brea when out in battle. We’re merely controlling the body of Dave Fisher here (the person we’ve Overdived into’s name is displayed in the bottom right.) Being an anime girl in tight clothes is just for the player’s benefit. Everyone else in the time period we’re occupying sees and hears the guy we have possessed. Which will make a real skeezy later gameplay mechanic make absolutely no sense.

Several tutorials pop-up around now explaining the HUD. Here’s the skinny. Specifics like brain-jacking dudes and the Limit Break Liberation will be explained later in the stage. The radar in the top right will light up and indicate what direction enemies are in relation to Aya. Which is good because, given this is a PSP game, limited to only a D-pad and one analog stick, the controls are clunky and the camera control isn’t great! The D-pad controls the camera, while the analog stick is movement. So, unless you’re doing some weird claw hand clutch, good luck doing both of those at the same time.

Here’s the aiming controls. Holding L will lock onto enemies, while the R trigger will fire. There is technically free-aiming. But there is zero reason to fight with the controls to ever do so. Aya’s default weapon, the pistol, has infinite ammo. How? Don’t worry about it.

Aya also gets access to grenades and she has a fairly decent throwing arm. Unless an enemy is flying or high above the ground, there are rarely combat arenas too large to chuck a grenade at an enemy. Unlike the pistol, grenade supplies are limited and have to be replenished by picking up supplies in the field.

We also have access to a weapon wheel where we can have up to four weapons equipped (well, three weapons and the infinite ammo pistol.) Between Overdive missions, Aya can adjust her loadout. We’ll get to that later. You’d think that, diving into the consciousness of a soldier in battle, we’d be limited to the weapons they were carrying at the time. But nope. Aya can magic her personal arsenal back in time.

How, you ask? Yeah, good question. There is no answer. :effort:

Falling literally out of the sky, we meet our first enemy. So, alongside the tentacle molestation of Manhattan, a race of bizarre murderous creatures started popping out of portals (there’s space-time distortion portals now, by the way) and killing everyone. These were dubbed, “The Twisted” because uhh… well… occasionally those tentacles made sort of a spiral pattern while growing and… sure, why not?

If you were wondering what CTI stood for earlier, it is “Counter Twisted Investigation”.

ANYWAY! This is the most basic form of Twisted, The… Slacker. Christ, these names are dumb. The Slacker just sort of hobbles slowly towards its victims before lunging and taking a swipe. They can do a sort of shoulder check as well. That’s about it.

Our primary form of defense is a dodge-roll. Aya can hurl herself several feet and roll to safety. She can perform three dodge rolls in rapid succession before briefly needing to take a break to regain her stamina or something. Not that there is any stamina bar. The animation just interrupts after the third roll and there is a wind-up time to start barreling around again.

It’s worth noting, that Aya can only roll with pistols. Any larger weapons, like a rifle, will make Aya perform a far less effective sidestep which only travels a couple feet. This, again, can only be performed three times in a row before Aya needs to take a brief break.

A half dozen Twisted or so attack Aya. Or Dave Fisher being controlled by Aya, if we’re getting technical. The Twisted will seize up and explode after death. Which can slightly damage Aya if she’s standing close to them. It’s more annoying than an actual threat. Aya receives Experience Points, which do exactly what you’d expect, and BP, the game’s currency, for each Twisted slain. That will all come up later.

The final Slacker Aya guns down will smash a barricade past some SWAT vans, which leads to the next area where we’ll hit another tutorial.

You can jump into and take over someone else's body.
Keep transferring from vessel to vessel to maintain an advantage during battle.

So at any time during battle, Aya can Overdive into another nearby body on the map and brainjack them as her new host. The previous body will return to normal and resume battle. Did they know they were being possessed by a magic woman from the future? Were they conscious during the process? Or did they just blip back to their senses suddenly two blocks away and suddenly injured?

This question and more will never be answered! As far as we’re concerned, everyone present on the field are just disposable health bars for Aya Brea. If Aya is injured, it’s really the body of that particular soldier that is suffering damage. When Aya jumps out of a body, the previous form will slowly regenerate health. However, if a soldier dies while Aya is possessing them? They’re loving dead! BUT Aya still has a few seconds before slipping into oblivion to hop her consciousness into a new healthy body and continue the fight. As long as there is another meat puppet for Aya to take over, she’s still in the game.

Of course, there is a finite amount of warm bodies to hijack and if Aya cannot split out of a dying man before they expire, she dies too.

There are things for you to find out there. You can use them as shields. Overdive near those objects to avoid getting hit while fighting. Got it?

Cray seems to think Aya is so green that she cannot comprehend the concept of a cover shooter. If Aya gets near any convenient waist-high barriers, she’ll duck behind them to take cover. She cannot climb over them, though. That’d be crazy talk.

We’re given a tutorial on taking cover just as another type of Twisted warps into the area. Meet the Wad. It’s an uhh… sort of flat manta-ray looking thing that glides around a bit before hovering and expanding into a big blue ball.

Then it fires a volley of fireballs at it Aya or any unfortunate soldiers out in the open. The fresh meat AI soldiers do participate in battle taking potshots. But they all have the survival instincts of a goldfish and take far more damage when not being possessed. A Wad blowing its whole load on Aya will only maybe take out a third of her HP. But it will nearly outright kill any soldier suffering the same. Soldiers will occasionally reinforce an area. But it is best to help out guys in trouble. Dead soldiers won’t do us any good if our current body loses a limb or two.

While the Slackers only took about a single handgun magazine to down, Wads are heartier. They take a good three magazines of pistol fire or a full magazine and a half from our rifle. Their post-mortem body explosions are a touch more threatening as well. Wads and Slackers are the only two enemy types we’ll be facing in Episode 0.

Once the area is cleaned out, we’re free to proceed to the next area. The 3rd Birthday isn’t especially good at informing the player where map exits are located or when enemies will stop spawning. Things just kind of end and we’re expected to wander into the next zone indicated on the map.

Look at all those Twisted!
I guess it's your turn Cray.
Alright, rookie. You have no chance taking them head-on.

So the lesson here is occasionally there will be soldiers on the high ground or in other advantage spots we ought to Overdive into for an edge. It is good advice and we’ll do just that to get overwatch of the battlefield. There is another reason why we’d want a good view of the battlefield.

…Crossfire. It'll make all nearby soldiers focus on the target you want them to take out.

So for no readily apparent reason, Aya has a psychic link with all soldiers in an area. If we stop firing and just focus on an enemy for roughly five or so seconds, a meter called Linkage will fill up. Once that is fully juiced, Aya can order all soldiers with line of sight with the enemy to dump their entire magazine into the linked Twisted. Since that’s how military chain of command works. Some dude on the roof starts rolling around like an idiot and screams for you to focus fire, you’d best fall in line.

Crossfire is pretty much what we’ll be doing constantly during battles with allies since there is almost no case where dumping on an enemy will output more damage than waiting for Crossfire and then dumping on an enemy. Especially since enemies getting bombarded by a Crossfire are stun-locked during the duration. And there’s another key ability Crossfire links to…

But what about Aya's condition?
Just do it.
I have authorized the use of Overdive Kill. Don’t make me repeat myself.
Overdive Kill is a powerful attack that allows you to dive into an enemy and implode it from inside. Catch the enemy off guard and you'll do massive damage.

So when an enemy is stunned, like say from Crossfire, an orange triangle will appear over their body. Hitting… well… triangle (aka the Overdive button) will allow Aya to Overdive into the targeted Twisted’s body and I guess… like shoulder-check their souls? Maybe it’s more of a Soul Psycho Crusher. I dunno the specifics of how it works. But it does a ton of damage proportional to Aya’s current level. So it gets even stronger as the game progresses.

Aya is briefly stunned for a couple seconds when she returns to her host body following the psychic head butt. But other than that, there are no drawbacks to Overdrive Kills. So again, spamming that constantly is pretty much a go-to attack. Even if it is somewhat disorienting and slightly seizure inducing.

A couple dozen dead Twisted later…

…ground.
Rendezvous with the troops and keep going.

Her vitals are irregular. We need to get her back.
No, keep going. Changing the past might change the outcome of future battles. You got it, Aya?

Good to know Hyde has our best interests at heart. Keep shooting monsters and psychic head-butting dudes. Maybe something will happen! I dunno. Time travel is weird. Nobody seems entirely overly concerned about loving with the past as much as they ought to be in this game.

Down an alleyway we come to the final map of the prologue. It’s already lousy with National Guard soldiers and Twisted. Aya jumps right in to receive her final tutorial.

Guess there's no other option.
Liberation eradicates anything withholding your powers while greatly improving your reflexes.
But there's a huge risk involved. It drains your energy, so if you're attacked when it's over, you won't have the strength to...
You can do this.

Liberation is the bar below our meat puppet’s health bar. It fills as we damage enemies. Using Overdive Kills or concentrated fire will greatly fill the meter up. When it’s maxed out, we can pop Liberation Mode by hitting Triangle + Circle. In Parasite Eve 1, Liberate was the ultimate magic attack. There, Aya turned into a kung-fu angel and beat the poo poo out of a target for several thousand damage at the cost of most of her MP. Here?

Aya gains a second pistol out of thin air and flips out shooting akimbo fireball shots and instantly gaining access to powered-up Overdrive Kills as well as turning invincible and gaining super speed. It’s honestly kind of a visual clusterfuck of flashing lights and explosions with enemies quickly dying.

We also no longer walk. Aya instead ninja flips and backflips like a lunatic for the duration of Liberation. No fellow soldiers make any comment about how Rodrigo Grosheim just Hadokened the five Twisted to death or Dejohn Nakamura slide flipping fifteen feet while dual firing pistols like Neo. Everyone was clearly too busy fighting the uhh… mutants? Aliens? Demons? I’m not entirely clear what the Twisted have been classified as here beyond baddies.

The tutorial lets us play around with Liberation for a bit by automatically refilling the gauge constantly until the battle is concluded. Liberation can be used while possessing a dying soldier to revive them/Aya with a sliver of health after it concludes. So it can be used as an emergency bugging out method to get to safety and find a healthier host away from danger. Though, when Liberation concludes, much like Overdive Kills, Aya is stunned for a few seconds. But, when you can ninja flip 20 feet and speed dash half a football field length in five seconds when it’s on, that shouldn’t be an issue.

After the battle, this random barricade at the far end of the street will signal the end of the mission.

We are treated to the sounds of a fierce battle off-screen. You’ll have to use your imagination.

Aya has had a rough day possessing many men to go fight monsters better than they previously had or… whatever the actual purpose of our mission entailed.

But her trial is not quite over, as a warp distortion fills the alley she’s decided to take a breather down.

See, now this thing I could understand being called “The Twisted”. But that lame sickle armed shambling thing? Or the fireball spitting ball? Not seeing it, The 3rd Birthday.

Aya opens fire on the new creature. But Hyde knows that battling a monster that appears at a mission end cutscene is a fool’s errand and is pulling the plug on our excursion.

Just before Aya gets torn asunder by a ten foot scythe in a rather anticlimactic ending to her story…

…her consciousness bugs on back to the future. Man that National Guard grunt is going to have a really confusing two seconds before his head is sliced in two. Sucks to be that guy! Later, nerd!

And that concludes Episode 0 – Sacrifice. Also… Operation Rainbow Dust…? Umm… sure! My time sucked since I listened to all the tutorial dialogue and played around. I didn’t die in the tutorial, so that’s good. Two soldiers died, not counting that one we left for dead in the cutscene. Apparently they all originally died, so I am not going to feel guilty about that. They shouldn’t have stood slack jawed in front of Wad spit. And finally, I get a D ranking for having the audacity to only play on Normal. Sorry, I didn’t replay the game twice to unlock the two highest difficulties. Nor am I ever going to do so!

Lastly, I got a special commendation for “preventing damage to gear”. What does that mean? Remember how we’re technically just possessing folks to do battle and the visual of Aya Brea is just for the player’s benefit. Aya herself is sitting in that space chair in the Overdive Room back at CTI Headquarters. The physical body engaged in battle is just some faceless soldier in a balaclava and combat dress. Right?

Yes, well despite that stated fact, if Aya’s hosts take too much damage in battle, Aya’s clothes will begin getting shredded. Well… even more shredded, in the case of her jeans. What kind of sense does that make? Absolutely none! What does that do to effect gameplay wise? Absolutely nothing!

Take enough damage and Aya will pretty much be left with boots, some scraps of cloth, and her bra and panties. All of the unlockables in The 3rd Birthday are increasingly skimpy fanservicey outfits. All of them also possess the shredding clothes mechanic. The 3rd Birthday is one classy game, folks.

You can probably trace all of this back to Motomu Toriyama. Lightning and Aya share the same Japanese voice actress, Maaya Sakamoto. And she puts on different cutesy voices for all the alternate costumes when taking damage. Also, one of the outfits is a Lightning Costume and Toriyama was stoked that you could see where Lighting's L’Cie brand (I’m not looking up if that was the right term) was if it got shredded. Something you couldn’t see in Final Fantasy XIII! Spoiler: It’s on top of her breast. Again, classy. The 3rd Birthday was pretty much a dry run for Toriyama's personal Lightning Dress Up and Wank in Lightning Returns a couple years later.

Welp. That’s one episode down. Only six to go! How bad could it be…?

Video: Part 2 Highlight Reel

Slacker Concept Art – Put some shoes on, ya lousy bum!

Wad Concept Art - Wad...? Really...? You're going with that?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 25, 2016

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

rudecyrus posted:

Now I'm kind of looking forward to this after all the replies.

Pretty much this. Having never played the Parasite Eve games, my only experience being the Crowetron LP's, seeing everyone react negatively to only the first post is loving hilarious.
If nothing else, this will end up being a goddamn treat, as everything spirals downward into madness.

EDIT: Oh New Update. Hilarious timing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mm. Classy.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

The Dark Id posted:

Take enough damage and Aya will pretty much be left with boots, some scraps of cloth, and her bra and panties. All of the unlockables in The 3rd Birthday are increasingly skimpy fanservicey outfits. All of them also possess the shredding clothes mechanic. The 3rd Birthday is one classy game, folks.

But her pretty, pretty face is apparently left unmarked? Very classy, game devs. Do her clothes at least regenerate when Aya jumps to a new meat-suit slave host?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I love that the only clothing that doesn't get damaged at all is covered in belts. Check out those boots, they're basically the footwear version of Lulu's dress, and they're completely fine.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The names are honestly bothering me more than the clothing damage, that at least has a straightforward explanation. National Guard is being conjugated all wrong- they are guardsmen and guardswomen or soldiers, not "guards"! Also, the Japanese trend of assigning things weird and serious proper names is really dissonant in a game set in the West.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
imagine if Samus took armor damage in Other M
starting to see why this game is worse, and I have seen nothing yet apparently!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's a good sign when the player has already noticed multiple inconsistencies by the end of the tutorial.

Yeah, I think I'm willing to believe this game will be as much fun as people have suggested so far. I've got a good feeling about this.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blackunknown posted:

According to the Plot Summary on the Wikipedia page for the novel, no, the rape is apparently done to perform the F.E.A.R. 2 Alma Wade method of fertilization, not that that makes it any better. But then again I would take anything found on Wikipedia with a grain of salt, because I wouldn't be surprised if both were true. What is wrong with Japanese writers?

It's like when Tyler Perry has a woman cheat on her husband in a movie and she gets AIDS from it. Yeah, that can happen, but the reason the author decided that happened to the character was to get off on the idea of punishing people doing the thing they don't like. Japan has a huge social bias against organ donors and this is a product of that.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 30, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
As I recall, BP was your currency in the first two games as well. So they kept something sort of consistent? Maybe?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Japan has a huge social bias against organ donors and this is a product of that.

Why?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It starts with Japanese cultural attitudes towards the people who handle the dead. People who do that are the lowest of the low, to the point where people who did that used to have to live in their own isolated settlements away from everyone. On top of that, in Confucianism the body needs to be intact for burial, and so donating organs would be considered defilement both on the part of the technician and the people who accepted the organ (since their organs are also now not intact).

Japan was actually making a lot of progress in the early years of organ transplant research, but a high-profile failed procedure in 1968 turned the population against the practice. The recipient died a couple months later and people starting investigating whether the donor was completely brain-dead before the heart was extracted. There was a case opened that later got dismissed, but the attention was enough to have it banned. When Parasite Eve was written, heart transplants were actually still illegal in Japan.

e: There's a really good movie about the social stigma that morticians face in modern Japan called Departure. It's worth watching if the ideas of Japan's attitudes towards death interest you.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

e: oh, you replied already. That's kind of interesting

• Locked thread