Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Why does the clothing damage conflict with the premise i.e. Aya isn't actually there but is brainjacking dudes?

At least other games with stupid mechanics like at least tried to justify them in-universe. Is Dave Fisher being stripped to his boxers, or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

There's a clothing damage "mechanic" that's only there for cheap fan service and affects nothing in the game at all. Yes, quite classy indeed. :ughh:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Defiance Industries posted:

It starts with Japanese cultural attitudes towards the people who handle the dead. People who do that are the lowest of the low, to the point where people who did that used to have to live in their own isolated settlements away from everyone. On top of that, in Confucianism the body needs to be intact for burial, and so donating organs would be considered defilement both on the part of the technician and the people who accepted the organ (since their organs are also now not intact).

Japan was actually making a lot of progress in the early years of organ transplant research, but a high-profile failed procedure in 1968 turned the population against the practice. The recipient died a couple months later and people starting investigating whether the donor was completely brain-dead before the heart was extracted. There was a case opened that later got dismissed, but the attention was enough to have it banned. When Parasite Eve was written, heart transplants were actually still illegal in Japan.

e: There's a really good movie about the social stigma that morticians face in modern Japan called Departure. It's worth watching if the ideas of Japan's attitudes towards death interest you.

That explains far more than it should about the plot of Dark Souls.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why does the clothing damage conflict with the premise i.e. Aya isn't actually there but is brainjacking dudes?

At least other games with stupid mechanics like at least tried to justify them in-universe. Is Dave Fisher being stripped to his boxers, or something?

Look, it's really simple, alright? Aya's only imagining that she has clothes on, since the soul is unburdened by those things. But as her soul gets rattled around during the course of the missions the cumulative wear has to get reflected somehow. And her self-image is nigh-invincible and dead sexy, so the only thing with any give is her clothes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Honestly I dont think Tabata is the cause for any of the games.
I think he wants to be the SE director that ships games, since all of his games got released on time and iirc on budget. I'd like to think he signs off on anything as long as it doesn't interfere with release day.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
It's been like 5 or 6 years since I played this game and I've forgotten, but are you locked to playing Normal difficulty the first time you do episodes?

Because that's a pretty dick move to always get a big fat D rank on every mission the first time to lower your score.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Dumb terminology and the clothing damage aside, the gameplay looks...alright?

Like, I'm expecting that the game is going to be utterly poo poo in the end, and even right now, the whole narrative/gameplay mix is already getting stupid, but the actual gameplay seems like you could actually have fun with it, provided that the missions are designed decently.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The time-travel and possession stuff would be really good in a game interested in taking full advantage of it.

The design of that monster and the way it moves in the final cutscene is pretty baller too. Oh Square, you and your cutscenes that are always so much cooler than your games. :unsmith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

XavierGenisi posted:

Dumb terminology and the clothing damage aside, the gameplay looks...alright?

Like, I'm expecting that the game is going to be utterly poo poo in the end, and even right now, the whole narrative/gameplay mix is already getting stupid, but the actual gameplay seems like you could actually have fun with it, provided that the missions are designed decently.

We just saw all the gameplay has to offer. There's an overly detailed weapon upgrade system but no reason to engage with it and then a ridiculously overly detailed leveling system but the actual combat is just hide in cover - > crossfire -> overdive -> repeat.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

dis astranagant posted:

We just saw all the gameplay has to offer. There's an overly detailed weapon upgrade system but no reason to engage with it and then a ridiculously overly detailed leveling system but the actual combat is just hide in cover - > crossfire -> overdive -> repeat.

Wait, seriously?

Like there's no additional minor gimmicks or level design or interesting enemies that change things up even a tiny bit? This is seriously all the sort of thing we have to look forward to as far as the gameplay goes? Really?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

XavierGenisi posted:

Wait, seriously?

Like there's no additional minor gimmicks or level design or interesting enemies that change things up even a tiny bit? This is seriously all the sort of thing we have to look forward to as far as the gameplay goes? Really?

Yeeeep. It's a PSP game after all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Some of the boss fights have gimmicks and you have your standard assortment of generic shooter enemies for the most part.

If you bother with the weapon upgrades the gameplay gets even dumber because pistols get an upgrade that lets you easily stunlock and overdive kill everything on your own without bothering with crossfire.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, by the way, TDI didn't mention it but we do get the possesed soldier's weapon when we bodyjack them. It's just that we somehow also keep all our other weapons too.

Square Enix also released another awful game at around the sane time also about body hopping, Mindjack. But I think Third Birthday had the better body hopping gameplay, to be honest. And it is an interesting idea for a game, its just so out of place in a Parasite Eve game.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
It's a PSP game that was origionally going to be a PHONE game if I remember correctly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We haven't even gotten to how stupid, random and unfun the upgrade system is in this game. You want to toss fireballs and healing spells? Well, you can't. gently caress you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

As someone that knows nothing about Parasite Eve or this game or any of the dudes that this thread shitted on, I look forward to the upcoming trainwreck

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I could say so many words as to why this is already a horrible game if you liked the first two but

The slacker????

The WAD????

Really? Slackers and Wads?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've wanted to see an LP of this train wreck for a while, but to have TDI doing it is more than I could have wished for.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

I meant to have concept art of the Wad in that update, but I forgot to put it back in when editing. Here it is now.

Wad... Really? Wad?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hey, at least it lets you include lines about Wads blowing their loads. On Aya.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Wads and slackers sound like the fat anime perve target audience, not like monsters

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Never played this cuz who the gently caress owned a PSP? I feel like I probably would have been alright not knowing about it. Strapped in for this train wreck. :getin:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's a shame this game is such a skeevy clusterfuck, because it's actually pretty cool. Like if they released it on Steam, I'd buy it.
Yeah I said it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Dark Id posted:

I meant to have concept art of the Wad in that update, but I forgot to put it back in when editing. Here it is now.

Wad... Really? Wad?

It kind of looks like a wad of old gum on the bottom of your shoe? That's all I got.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Am I the only one who kinda feels like the combat in this game would make for a really kickass Ghost in the Shell game?

Otherwise, wow, the plot looks so dumb so far.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Two updates in and I've already been worked into a frothing rant about sexualization in games/media/entertainment.

Dis gonna be good.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Bright side: Aya at least remembers how to do Liberation right off the bat... kinda?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So is the big reveal supposed to be that Aya and co are the bad guys?

Because going back in in time and possessing soldiers - then abandoning their bodies when you get them killed - doesn't exactly scream "good guy" to me. Granted, they're trying to stop random tentacles and nerds presumably from outer space, but still.

It's a pretty interesting concept though.

Who thought the creepy clothing damage was a good idea?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Am I the only one who kinda feels like the combat in this game would make for a really kickass Ghost in the Shell game?

The Dark Id's favourite tormentors, Cavia, actually developed a GitS for the PS2, featuring mind-jacking and 3rd person shooting action. It's kinda average.

This game though...:sigh: Best of luck TDI!

The Aya/Lightning costume trade has already been mentioned, so here's the Dissidia costume;

Want to know why it's better? Clothing in Dissidia doesn't take battle-damage.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The thing that gets me most about the clothing damage mechanic is that when injured, Aya is covered in big, bleeding wounds, which don't exactly scream "sex appeal" to me. If they were going for fanservice, it feels like they either missed the mark or were aiming at a very specific audience.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why exactly did we leave the realm of Resident Evil-style magical biology to some bizarre version of Quantum Leap, anyway? It would have been so much easier to just have Aya just enter the environment and command a unit. You could use the body mechanic by just transferring control from one soldier to the other. It would make so much more sense.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know why people are saying clothing damage doesn't affect anything because it does affect the damage you take. It can even get pretty severe.
Each type of outfit has a defence rating (A, B, C). B usually means you take regular damage. So Aya's default which is a B takes more damage than an unlockable that would provide A rank defences.
Someone compiled the damage numbers online, so for the first outfit it goes:
100% damage when intact
120% damage when damaged
175% damage when completely destroyed

Except nearly every single outfit other than the second one immediately available(takes 75% damage when intact) provides miserable defence that gets even worse when ruined. Guess what, the more fanservicey the more damage you take, up to 260%.
And supposedly they affect running speed but I don't really remember that.
While all this might matter on Normal, on difficulties above you get 2/3 shotted so it means gently caress all.

Now, I want you all to take a guess at what clothes provide the best defence in the game.
Oh what a surprise, it's Lightning costume with a 30% damage reduction. Of course. Because Lightning is so perfect even her clothes are better than everyone else's.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Pesky Splinter posted:

The Dark Id's favourite tormentors, Cavia, actually developed a GitS for the PS2, featuring mind-jacking and 3rd person shooting action. It's kinda average.

Man, I forgot all about that game. I was always really impressed that it was better than I'd expected. I had no idea Cavia made it. Crazy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

HGH posted:

Oh what a surprise, it's Lightning costume with a 30% damage reduction. Of course. Because Lightning is so perfect even her clothes are better than everyone else's.
Can't have Toriyama's waifu be second best.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How many shower scenes are we getting in this run?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

HGH posted:

I don't know why people are saying clothing damage doesn't affect anything because it does affect the damage you take. It can even get pretty severe.
Each type of outfit has a defence rating (A, B, C). B usually means you take regular damage. So Aya's default which is a B takes more damage than an unlockable that would provide A rank defences.
Someone compiled the damage numbers online, so for the first outfit it goes:
100% damage when intact
120% damage when damaged
175% damage when completely destroyed

Except nearly every single outfit other than the second one immediately available(takes 75% damage when intact) provides miserable defence that gets even worse when ruined. Guess what, the more fanservicey the more damage you take, up to 260%.
And supposedly they affect running speed but I don't really remember that.
While all this might matter on Normal, on difficulties above you get 2/3 shotted so it means gently caress all.

Now, I want you all to take a guess at what clothes provide the best defence in the game.

It technically does something. But because enemies get stronger roughly as you do and Aya has nebulous level-ups that raise her stats in a way that isn't communicated to the player well, it may as well be a system that doesn't exist. Especially when your health bar consists if disposable meat puppets in the area and if Aya is getting torn up, it's probably a boss or mid-boss that will be one or two hit wrecking her anyway. I'm not digging far into any of this game's systems, because they're all half-baked rubbish.

Edit: It doesn't help that if anyone is really into The 3rd Birthday for some addled reason, the bulk of the unlockables are extra costumes and higher difficulty modes which both toss that entire system in the trash since, as you said, the costumes all have poo poo defense and on higher difficulties everything kills Aya's meat puppets almost immediately.

Secondary Edit: I'll probably have another update late tonight/early tomorrow. It's the weekend. I got kids. I'm busy!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 30, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

How many shower scenes are we getting in this run?

Zero, I think. Surprisingly.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

I'm not digging far into any of this game's systems, because they're all half-baked rubbish.
No, see you should dig into the game systems precisely BECAUSE they're half-baked rubbish, because I need an excuse to mention how I spent three hours trying to game the RNG based skill system before giving up on getting the thing I wanted.
But yeah I get where you're coming from, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
You keep saying that Aya's character model (rather than her possession victim's) is there for my benefit, but I don't feel like I've benefitted from it.

What's the point of having a possession mechanic if you're not really possessing people? What's the point of possession if the player character looks/moves/acts the same regardless of who is being possessed?

Why wasn't there an adult in the room when this game was being developed? Someone to say, "alright kids, you can have your dumb possession mechanic or your gross clothing damage mechanic, but you can't have both. They're mutually exclusive, and you should know that, and I shouldn't have to tell you this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

You keep saying that Aya's character model (rather than her possession victim's) is there for my benefit, but I don't feel like I've benefitted from it.
You've been bathed in the radiant almost-nudity of the one true Waifu, Lightning (special limited edition Brooklyn model). How dare you ask for more on top of that?

How. Dare. You.

• Locked thread