Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cathode Raymond posted:

You should not, under any circumstances, make a story that includes time travel AND amnesia. AND possession. Although now I'm being ridiculous because no one would write a story with all three. Right?

The Watchers, they laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

Memento comes to mind, it's a movie but it does a good job with anterograde amnesia. I would say that KotOR was good in spite of including amnesia rather than because of it.

Amnesia and time travel are way overused and I think they are each unique in that if you want to include either one, you have to make your whole story focus on it. That is to say, a story with time travel should be about time travel and little else, like Primer. A story about amnesia should be about recovering memories/identity and little else, like Memento.

You should not, under any circumstances, make a story that includes time travel AND amnesia. AND possession. Although now I'm being ridiculous because no one would write a story with all three. Right?

Hey, Fire Emblem Awakening was perfectly decent!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Silent Hill 2 has the decency to not reveal that James has forgotten what he actually did until the final act of the game, which makes it much better.

I don't think you actually had amnesia in New Vegas, maybe some to excuse the basic Wasteland questions. I should mention that I really did not like Lonesome Road, so I view it more as "Ulysses is out of his mind and who knows if half the stuff he's saying is true",

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Well, that was depressing and this crappy game has only just begun. Toriyama needs some professional help.

I also agree about Ghost Trick using the amnesia well, but explaining just why would lead us into spoiler territory.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
:stonk: What did I just see?? Why won't the images leave me!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I nixed it in this update after deciding we ought to dive right in to the dress up creepshow. But hey, you know how Final Fantasy XIII hid away a lot of information about the world and what was happening, as well as background information on characters in an optional datalog codex separated from the main game? Guuuuueeess what game was a dry run for that sorta garbage? :allears:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Cathode Raymond posted:

Memento comes to mind, it's a movie but it does a good job with anterograde amnesia. I would say that KotOR was good in spite of including amnesia rather than because of it.

Amnesia and time travel are way overused and I think they are each unique in that if you want to include either one, you have to make your whole story focus on it. That is to say, a story with time travel should be about time travel and little else, like Primer. A story about amnesia should be about recovering memories/identity and little else, like Memento.

Memento's best move with the amnesia is that it wasn't a static condition but an active one, and characters used that dynamic to influence each other and the story as a whole, and by treating it as more than a "story starts here, with some flashbacks" it made it really effective. With KotOR, some people found the amnesia to add to the story, others didn't care much either way, and some thought it was ham-fisted, which is why I called it arguable as to whether it was effective. But absolutely agree, if you want to have amnesia in a story, make the story about the amnesia. Ditto time travel, and possession.

Given how little they cared about the meat suits in the prologue, I have little hope that they'll treat the possession with respect here unless there's a dramatic change in the story arc.

Kavak posted:

I don't think you actually had amnesia in New Vegas, maybe some to excuse the basic Wasteland questions. I should mention that I really did not like Lonesome Road, so I view it more as "Ulysses is out of his mind and who knows if half the stuff he's saying is true",
It's mentioned a few times in the base game that you have partial amnesia, but that never really goes anywhere major and can safely be ignored. DLC, it really comes down to if you liked the additional storyline or not as to whether or not it mattered, but there's enough evidence to support Ulysses that I've always believed the amnesia story there.

The Dark Id posted:

I nixed it in this update after deciding we ought to dive right in to the dress up creepshow. But hey, you know how Final Fantasy XIII hid away a lot of information about the world and what was happening, as well as background information on characters in an optional datalog codex separated from the main game? Guuuuueeess what game was a dry run for that sorta garbage? :allears:
gently caress.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this is just kind of ridiculous. The best defensive gear is free and everything else is wankbait unlocks? Or do they at least have some kind of special power in addition to the defense rating?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Geostomp posted:

Well, that was depressing and this crappy game has only just begun. Toriyama needs some professional help.

I also agree about Ghost Trick using the amnesia well, but explaining just why would lead us into spoiler territory.

Well in Ghost Trick, which to the uninitiated is very much an interactive visual novel, the amount of knowledge the player has is constantly reflected by the protagonist. The deductions, reveals and logic process of the protagonist when they start to find out about their past do very much match what the average player would think.
It's incredibly well written and most of all as a game it's executed terrifically.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Byers2142 posted:

gently caress.

That sums it up pretty good.

Why. What. No.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

The best defensive gear is free and everything else is wankbait unlocks?

Ummm, I believe it was made clear that the best gear is and always will be that of the ever-perfect Lightning.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

Xenosaga? :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Dark Id posted:

god....loving dammit, id.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Yeah, this is just kind of ridiculous. The best defensive gear is free and everything else is wankbait unlocks? Or do they at least have some kind of special power in addition to the defense rating?

Didn't you read the Lightning costume description? If Aya gets shredded enough, you can see Lightning's tattoo! That's kind of like a special power...

..,you do like Lightning, right? And FFXIII?

And Lightning? and FF XIII?and Lightning? and FFXIII...

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Everyone should play Ghost Trick. Other games that pulled off amnesia reasonably well: Final Fantasy VI, VII, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Amnesia :v:

This game's reminding me a bit of Lightning Returns, in that there's some creepy dressup and major gameplay elements are locked behind subsequent playthroughs. Unlike LR, this doesn't look fun to play at all. Thanks for suffering for us, id :thumbsup:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kavak posted:

In FONV, you can decide it however you want. You get shot in the head and your character is clearly out of it at the start, but there's many dialogue options later that say that you have your memory back, so either you're exaggerating it for personal gain or you get better. You decide, because it's a story with agency.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Dark Id posted:

Can you use the creepy music from Drakengard for these updates.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Oh God loving damnit. :ughh:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

In FONV, you can decide it however you want. You get shot in the head and your character is clearly out of it at the start, but there's many dialogue options later that say that you have your memory back, so either you're exaggerating it for personal gain or you get better. You decide, because it's a story with agency.

The discussion was more about the plotline of the DLCs, but I liked how you could just have knowledge of all the stuff that happened in Fallouts 1 and 2. It let me roleplay as an NCR citizen and I never felt like I was being taken out of the game for knowing what happened in its predecessors.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I could almost see someone unlocking those alternate costumes back when the first Parasite Eve came out. Almost. But this came out in 2011 and there's a little thing called Google that I don't think the developers knew about.

So if Aya has none of her memories or her powers, does this relate at all to the rest of the series? Or is it the Ghost Babel of Parasite Eve?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I try find some comfort in telling myself that this game was released around SE's design nadir (for reference, the original FFXIV came out only a few months beforehand - the one that nearly sank the company for good) and they've been reversing course on all these awful trends ever since. You could even see that in FFXIII, which was a reeking trainwreck in its first installment and clawed its way up to "still ridiculous, but pretty good" by Lightning Returns.

It doesn't save the Parasite Eve franchise, though. It's such a shame, because Aya was always one of the best female protagonists in the business. She got her JRPG heroine start in a loving evening gown and still took command of the situation. She clowned nearly every wannabe male hero that wandered into her line of sight. She read a monster's mind after burning it to death and mocked its dying thoughts.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 2, 2016

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So if Aya has none of her memories or her powers, does this relate at all to the rest of the series? Or is it the Ghost Babel of Parasite Eve?

Characters from Parasite Eve 1 and 2 show up. It's a direct sequel. Sorry, no alternate universe out clause.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I miss sassy Aya from PE2. Shame we'll never see her again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

I miss sassy Aya from PE2. Shame we'll never see her again.

Her inner monologue from when you examined things two or three times made the game feel way less empty than it actually was.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Final Fantasy VI, VII
I've never noticed it before, but there's an interesting (well, to me) line that you can draw from FFVI on in the series where Square began to lean more and more on the idea of "mysterious past" in their characters to propel a storyline, with amnesia of one sort or another being the primary go-to method to do this. If you wanted to plant a flag at the start of when amnesia really became a crutch for them, it starts there with the popularity of those stories and flows through. Over time, it arguably led to more and more contrived situations and bad plot decisions in their stories, as well, possibly because the writers focused more on the the fact that amnesia and mysterious pasts worked and was popular, and less on why they worked.

Given the cross-pollination between Final Fantasy and the 3rd Birthday, I guess it's no surprise they went to that well again.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

this is awful

someone save Dark Id from himself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DOOP posted:

this is awful

I don't think it's going to do much to him, we already know he's bomb-proof.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DOOP posted:

this is awful

The man has survived and 100%'d 4 games made by Taro Yoko, almost all of the Resident Evil franchise (aside from RE5 and onward plus the Damnation CGI movie), Dirge of Cerberus, Chrono Cross, and 100%'d Final Fantasy X.

He'll be fine.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

I've never noticed it before, but there's an interesting (well, to me) line that you can draw from FFVI on in the series where Square began to lean more and more on the idea of "mysterious past" in their characters to propel a storyline, with amnesia of one sort or another being the primary go-to method to do this. If you wanted to plant a flag at the start of when amnesia really became a crutch for them, it starts there with the popularity of those stories and flows through. Over time, it arguably led to more and more contrived situations and bad plot decisions in their stories, as well, possibly because the writers focused more on the the fact that amnesia and mysterious pasts worked and was popular, and less on why they worked.

Given the cross-pollination between Final Fantasy and the 3rd Birthday, I guess it's no surprise they went to that well again.

Galuf has amnesia in V and I'm pretty sure it shows up in IV somehow. VII is where it went from just being a plot element to the plot element.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Dark Id posted:

Normally, I’d show off all the bonus poo poo in a game at the end of a LP. But, I’m sure as gently caress not replaying this game and doing the ridiculous requirements to unlock all of Aya’s costume. Nor do I want to engage with Toriyama’s dress-up fetish wear any more than necessary. So let’s just go ahead and load up a 100% complete save thanks to the PSP having no save security and get this elephant in the room out of the way this update. Gonna just be upfront about The 3rd Birthday being a complete creeper of a video game.

Let’s take a look at all the bonus costumes and how to obtain them.

Great, this part. Alright, I guess she's going to be wearing skimpy armor or high tech bikini bullshit or—

gently caress's sake

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Kavak posted:

Galuf has amnesia in V and I'm pretty sure it shows up in IV somehow. VII is where it went from just being a plot element to the plot element.
And then it followed it right up in VIII with it's utterly ridiculous amnesia plot element that made everyone realize the writers were hacks :v:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Byers2142 posted:

One of the things I liked about FFX was the fact that everyone thought Tidus had amnesia because they thought that was perfectly reasonable given his situation.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Chokes McGee posted:

Great, this part. Alright, I guess she's going to be wearing skimpy armor or high tech bikini bullshit or—

gently caress's sake

I found the costume descriptions really weird.

I mean, Aya's supposed to be some sort of time-traveling gene demon who possesses people and lives in a loving prison cell. When does she dress up as a maid? When does she put on that American McGee's Playboy number with the shiny bunny ears?

I'm starting to think that maybe the dev team didn't keep Aya's characterization consistent between the main game, the cutscenes, and the weird load out screens.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I found the costume descriptions really weird.

No kidding. Besides HEY HERE'S A SEXY MAGE ON THE BATTLEFIELD catching me offguard, somehow, the descriptions are even worse. If you just thought we were being mildly creepy, well hey, here's something to disprove that in a hurry!

Cathode Raymond posted:

American McGee's Playboy

God dammit now I want to see the train wreck this would be

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Id

I worry for you, man.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
As I said early, someone have mercy on Id, this is a terrible game! Through I didn't know about the Lighting thing, that dude need to stop working in video games.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For those of you who missed out, here's a quick summary of the plot of Parasite Eve the First:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Byers2142 posted:

That is a pretty interesting observation. It's like they noticed the things that worked once (Amnesia in VI/VII, time travel in Chrono Trigger, dress up/job systems in III/V/X-2, etc.) and then ramped that poo poo up to eleven, not realizing that it wasn't so much the plot and gameplay elements themselves that worked but the executions thereof.

Like someone waaaaay back in the Chrono Cross thread said, where FFVII was (arguably) a bad story executed well, CC was (arguably) a good story executed like garbage. And this game is poo poo on every count, so it's kind of a moot point :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HOLY poo poo! :froggonk: How many women does Toriyama have chained up in his basement so he can reenact his hosed up Barbie fantasies? I demand an investigation.

That whole costume mechanic is so downright nasty that it made me immediately forget how horribly convoluted the DNA upgrade system is. And as Dark Id pointed out in the second update, you will never be controlling Aya on her own- she's always possessing soldiers. So that should negate both the upgrade mechanic and the Erotic Barbie mechanic, but I guess this game is where sense- not to mention good taste- goes to die.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

kw0134 posted:

And then it followed it right up in VIII with it's utterly ridiculous amnesia plot element that made everyone realize the writers were hacks :v:

Not only is the idea stupid, but it's introduced at a time where the only purpose is to make things more dramatic for the player. Anyone half-competent would have had Irvine tell everyone in response to losing his poo poo at the end of disc 1, assuming they were forced to do it by company execs or something.

• Locked thread