Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
and no free food doesn't count, I mean REAL PRIZES, did anybody actually win anything good from buying a poo poo ton of large big mac meals and gaining 400 pounds?

and don't be a smartarse and say they won type 2 diabetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Nope.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
they only give out certain things to certain mcdonalds in certain parts of the country. To win anything you'd either have to buy them off ebay or travel up and down the country going on a loving mcdonalds tour

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
the ppl that run the contest are the only ones winning the prizes

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Only thing I won was 2 medium fries.

Better than nothing i guess.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I have Park Place, someone want to give me their Boardwalk and we can split the million? It's a good deal I swear, pls PM me.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
when I was in college I worked at mcd's and during my break I'd take entire bags of french fry containers and take off the tickets then throw out the french fry containers when I had to take out the trash. I was kind of an rear end in a top hat back then, nowadays I would just dump the containers onto the floor.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's a scam

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can trade the Baltic/Mediterranean monopoly in for a Something Awful Forums account.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

zooted heh posted:

the ppl that run the contest are the only ones winning the prizes

Literally true considering for years the winning tickets were stolen by a worker of the company that printed them.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Gaunab posted:

It's a scam

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

thatguy posted:

when I was in college I worked at mcd's and during my break I'd take entire bags of french fry containers and take off the tickets then throw out the french fry containers when I had to take out the trash. I was kind of an rear end in a top hat back then, nowadays I would just dump the containers onto the floor.

Did you win anything?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
I took my kids to a McDonalds in France once, and one of them won a silver Coca Cola tray. Maybe the French didn't understand that you are not supposed to hand out any actual prizes? They are an odd sort of people, after all.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Type 1 Diabetes.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Furious Mittens posted:

Did you win anything?

Just food

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
dude i know won a car

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I won a bad case of dysentery

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Every set has one piece that is many orders of magnitude rarer than the others. You can google which pieces are rare and on the one in a million chance you find one it'll be piss easy to get the other two. It's a brilliant scam because every piece feels like a winner if you don't know how it works AND it's very likely that whoever does find the really rare one will accidentally throw it away.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

ManDingo posted:

Type 1 Diabetes.

This guy...

The intern wants to stop at McD's every loving day so he's won maybe 10 hashbrowns/fries/shake but nothing substantial.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rurea posted:

I have Park Place, someone want to give me their Boardwalk and we can split the million? It's a good deal I swear, pls PM me.

Why do they call it Park Place instead of Park Avenue?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I haven't gone to McDonald's in a while. Their unsweetened tea is p good though

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I just throw those away. With my luck I somehow got a rare one and tossed it.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Every set has one piece that is many orders of magnitude rarer than the others. You can google which pieces are rare and on the one in a million chance you find one it'll be piss easy to get the other two. It's a brilliant scam because every piece feels like a winner if you don't know how it works AND it's very likely that whoever does find the really rare one will accidentally throw it away.

mcdonalds knows how stupid and uninformed their customers are, and successfully fleece them every year with this dumb game

i mean people sell common game pieces on ebay for stupid prices, post craigslist ads begging people to sell them the piece they are missing, literally ignoring the entire mechanics of the charade

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Even if you perfectly understand the statistics and mechanics of this game it still works because it's designed to manipulate you on an unconscious level. There is a lot of research and science behind games of chance, your response to it is emotional not rational.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
What do you mean free food doesn't count? That's the best thing you can realistically get. Are you implying that if you win money you wouldn't just go buy more McDonalds food? Shameful..

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
When I was catching the train back home, someone threw out a sticker for a free magazine subscription for 3 months, surprisingly it wasn't redeemed yet, so I won it for myself.

That's the closest I'll get to winning something decent.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

yeah actually my fat friend won $10k several years back. he's one of those people who was always told he was very special by his rich parents and i think this was the most money he had ever made b/c he didn't have a job until he was like 29.

he won getting mcdonalds on the way to our soccer game and i was kind of wondering why you would get mcdonalds on the way to go play a running intensive sport but i guess the reason is to win $10k

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
When I was a kid, my family won free Happy Meals for a whole year, or more accurately I think it was 52 vouchers they could turn in one by one. I think free food counts if you can use it to plan your child's meals for the week. Anyway, I was a fat kid

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

yeah

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I won type 2 diabetes

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

yeah actually my fat friend won $10k several years back. he's one of those people who was always told he was very special by his rich parents and i think this was the most money he had ever made b/c he didn't have a job until he was like 29.

he won getting mcdonalds on the way to our soccer game and i was kind of wondering why you would get mcdonalds on the way to go play a running intensive sport but i guess the reason is to win $10k

theres a local metalhead here who won 10k from monopoly and put it all into a down payment on a house smh

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Mange Mite posted:

I won type 2 diabetes

get out

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I won "it".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Make me

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Wikipedia posted:

In 2000, the US promotion was halted after fraud was uncovered. A subcontracting company called Simon Marketing (a then-subsidiary of Cyrk), which had been hired by McDonald's to organize and promote the game, failed to recognize a flaw in its procedures. Chief of security Jerome P. Jacobson[4] was able to remove the most expensive game pieces, which he then passed to associates who would redeem them and share the proceeds. The associates won almost all of the top prizes between 1995 and 2000, including McDonald's giveaways that did not have the Monopoly theme.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have not eaten at McDonalds, but I do play the Safeway Monopoly game and haven't won poo poo.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

There was that guy that worked for the company that ran the game for McDonalds and rigged it so he won everything for 6 years. He won 3 years in prison too, so I guess no one really wins Monopoly.

Yeah that guy

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Inept posted:

There was that guy that worked for the company that ran the game for McDonalds and rigged it so he won everything for 6 years. He won 3 years in prison too, so I guess no one really wins Monopoly.

Yeah that guy

If only he had a get out of jail free card.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 29, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

I have not eaten at McDonalds, but I do play the Safeway Monopoly game and haven't won poo poo.

the odds on that one are really bad, I really don't get why they don't do substantially more $5 and $10 Safeway gift cards since that's basically weekly coupon level and small occasional wins get people disproportionately excited while not ever winning poo poo just makes people dismissive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

LGD posted:

the odds on that one are really bad, I really don't get why they don't do substantially more $5 and $10 Safeway gift cards since that's basically weekly coupon level and small occasional wins get people disproportionately excited while not ever winning poo poo just makes people dismissive

I just throw them away without opening them.

• Locked thread