Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've never met anyone who openly denied evolution so I'm interesting in hearing stories of people who have and what it was like dealing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Super catholic girl in high school, her argument was basically "wouldn't it just make sense for an omnipotent creator to make humans in his own image? doesn't it just feel right?" and I was like "uh not really???" and she was frustrated because she couldn't express herself any more clearly than she already had and it was fairly awkward (no one clapped)

She would go on to get married super early, because someone who is really hot and super Catholic is inevitably gonna get married super early, b/c her nice Midwestern football-player college boyfriend really wanted to put it in her and Jesus had to say it was ok first

She did get divorced afterward though, I don't imagine her family was pleased w/ that

e: to be clear she is now on marriage #2 and hasn't hit 30 yet, impressive no?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Yeah. Just learned not to talk about science or ancient history with them.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I dated an evangelical Christian girl awhile back who denied the validity of radiocarbon dating and believed the earth was no more than 10,000 years old. It went about as well as you'd expect. In my defense she was p hot tho, and years of sexual repression made her a freak in bed when she finally let loose.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

No, but that's because it hasn't come up in my co-workers' conversations. However they do believe that Climate Change is caused entirely by the sun, that electricity causes cancer, and that the best way to doomsday prep is to have an actual list of women to hunt down and rape for rejecting them in high school.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i had an aquaintance that was a die hard young earth believer - i never had a discussion with him because there is no reason to have an argument with anyone about anything that thinks the earth is 4000 years old

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i had an aquaintance that was a die hard young earth believer - i never had a discussion with him because there is no reason to have an argument with anyone about anything that thinks the earth is 4000 years old

I think the earth is 4000 years old....

I just also happen to think it's also a lot older than that, too.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

idk guys seems like theres a pretty convincing argument against evolution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPtjXFfczM

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Just an entire side of my family and tons of people at work. These are teachers too. gently caress this gay earth.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Gaunab posted:

I've never met anyone who openly denied evolution so I'm interesting in hearing stories of people who have and what it was like dealing with them.

My cousin. Plenty of really weak arguments that boil down to "I don't understand _______, so I guess no one does." or "No one knows, so the default assumption is just god did it, lets not try and question that." Like "How could an eye have evolved, its so complex?" or "Where did everything come from then? An explosion?"

I was generally okay to leave her be, but I feel bad for her kids, so I at least try and let them know other people have a differing view.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't believe in evolution because it involves change over time and time is an illusion created by the limitations of our consciousness as exists in the specific mechanical implementation of our brains

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
the only people that aren't jesus people in my entire family are me and my 15 year old kid

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I did once and I literally walked out of the room

We used to smoke a weed with him since he always bought us drugs and he would slam his head into the apartment wall and scream the n word in the middle of campus housing

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
I worked with a guy when I was installing storage arrays in data centers; he firmly believed in biblical creation and sincerely believed gay marriage was an affront to God. He wasn't ever pushy about it or anything.

He was a very bright, soft-spoken guy and we just never discussed it after that one conversation.

My next-door neighbor is a 9/11 truther and we haven't spoken for about 7-8 years now.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Did a research internship in Astrophysics with a kid who was. He'd also at the age of 21 never been out of Tennessee, never been on a date, and wouldn't touch alcohol. I think he eventually switched to mathematics research.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I was on some federal career track internship once around 08, when those republican candidates raised their hands saying they don't believe in evolution I went to work the next day and joked about how stupid they were.

Anyway, my boss at the time said he didn't think evolution was real, then things got awkward and I had no job a few months later. Evolution is the hill I died on that year apparently

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
old woman on the bus stop a moth ago. wouldn't stop talking about satan.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Quite a few actually.

I was on a train to a mountain with a coworker from the midwest. We were going to go hiking and I made a bad joke about the dinosaurs going extinct because God wanted to hit the reset button. He then informs me all about his young Earth creationism stuff and how carbon dating is bogus. All of this in the first 30-45 minutes of an all day long trek. I kind of wanted to get off at the next stop and ride back home. But I went on the hike anyways and just avoided the subject forever after with the guy.

Another guy agreed that diseases evolve and change but that evolution of animals and more complex things is fake as hell. He also was also a midwest bible humper. This guy was more fun to get drunk with and discuss/debate such things with.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
most of them dont believe it w any sort of conviction. i mean they believe it b/c thats what they were told to believe as kids and its probably parroted a lot but if they aren't super evangelical dicks its usually interesting to hear what they have to say

i had some guy that tell me about 'micro-evolution' which is i guess some roundabout way of explaining why things change with each generation (literally evolution) is not evolution (the big bad thing we cannot agree with)

i told him that all evolution was is things changing and micro evolution was just evolution and he was very confused so i think the argument is just incredibly misrepresented

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Once, here in Norway; such people aren't very common around here. Twenty years ago when I was at university. Dude was otherwise like a younger and more annoying Ned Flanders without any of Flanders' redeeming features.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One time in a art history class I was in, somehow topic of Christianity and evolution came up. One of students said creationism is true because "men have one less rib than women"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

loquacius posted:

Super catholic girl in high school, her argument was basically "wouldn't it just make sense for an omnipotent creator to make humans in his own image? doesn't it just feel right?" and I was like "uh not really???" and she was frustrated because she couldn't express herself any more clearly than she already had and it was fairly awkward (no one clapped)

She would go on to get married super early, because someone who is really hot and super Catholic is inevitably gonna get married super early, b/c her nice Midwestern football-player college boyfriend really wanted to put it in her and Jesus had to say it was ok first

She did get divorced afterward though, I don't imagine her family was pleased w/ that

This is particularly dumb because catholics are allowed and encouraged to believe in evolution. But if she's already been divorced then she's an evil sinner anyways

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

Made funnier by the fact that Every Pope in the last 25 years has been super cool with evolution

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nigga crab pollock posted:

most of them dont believe it w any sort of conviction. i mean they believe it b/c thats what they were told to believe as kids and its probably parroted a lot but if they aren't super evangelical dicks its usually interesting to hear what they have to say

i had some guy that tell me about 'micro-evolution' which is i guess some roundabout way of explaining why things change with each generation (literally evolution) is not evolution (the big bad thing we cannot agree with)

i told him that all evolution was is things changing and micro evolution was just evolution and he was very confused so i think the argument is just incredibly misrepresented

he's parroting ken hamm's lectures about the 6 different types of evolution which is scientifically accepted and not made up wholecloth

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Jon pop thread.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when i lived across from the university here some 90 year old door to door jesus salesman tried to talk to me about the dangers of rising levels of belief in evolution among young people but I suckered my roommate into the conversation and snuck away lol owned

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One time in a art history class I was in, somehow topic of Christianity and evolution came up. One of students said creationism is true because "men have one less rib than women"

i worked with a girl going to 'evangel university' a joke of a school run by crazy assemblies of god people. saw her doing anatomy homework. she definitely used that argument many times when she decided to become evangelical at work

what im saying is religious schools are definitely brainwashing institutions

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Lol if op thought this was a rare and unusual thing.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
When i was working as a prison guard in college there were a TON of inmates who didn't believe in evolution but were 100% convinced the Moon Landing was impossible because they are very good at science

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

paul_soccer10 posted:

he's parroting ken hamm's lectures about the 6 different types of evolution which is scientifically accepted and not made up wholecloth

no like "i dont believe in evolution, what scientists call evolution is just micro-evolution"

wild huh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Did a research internship in Astrophysics with a kid who was. He'd also at the age of 21 never been out of Tennessee, never been on a date, and wouldn't touch alcohol. I think he eventually switched to mathematics research.

Prob a good call on his part. Astrophysics is not a field for religious types.

Cacator posted:

This is particularly dumb because catholics are allowed and encouraged to believe in evolution. But if she's already been divorced then she's an evil sinner anyways

Booblord Zagats posted:

Made funnier by the fact that Every Pope in the last 25 years has been super cool with evolution

I'd be kind of interested to talk to her about the circumstances around her first marriage -- it's fairly obvious that it only happened in the first place because they wanted to gently caress, but she was, again, apparently more Catholic than the Pope so it had to have been pretty bad to convince her to call it off. Maybe she managed to get it annulled? The Wikipedia says you can get a Catholic annulment if you can prove your spouse was never interested in a lifelong contract. That'd work if he was only in it for the Jesus-approved rear end.

Unfortunately I barely knew her well enough in high school to have a really awkward semi-argument about evolution in the library, so I can't very well hit her up on FB to ask her to dish on the details of her romantic history ten years later

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I went to private school. My high school biology textbook had a chapter on Noah's flood. So yeah practically everyone I knew growing up.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
maybe in one of my high school
classes??? but nah not really and if i did i didnt interact w/ them because im a goon

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have met many people who do not believe in evolution but "dealing with them" has never been an issue because I am not a scientist or educator and the subject of evolution was unrelated to our interaction

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nigga crab pollock posted:

no like "i dont believe in evolution, what scientists call evolution is just micro-evolution"

wild huh
http://www.truthingenesis.com/2013/01/10/the-six-meanings-of-evolution/

1. Cosmic Evolution – The origin of time, space, and matter with the Big Bang.
2. Chemical Evolution – The origin of higher elements beyond hydrogen and helium.
3. Stellar and Planetary Evolution – The origin of the stars and planets.
4. Organic Evolution – The origin of life from non-life.
5. Macro Evolution – Changing from one kind of animal into another kind. Ex: ape to human.
6. Micro Evolution – Variation within the kinds. Ex: long-haired, short-haired, long-legged, short-legged, etc.

Only micro evolution, number six on the list, has ever been observed. The other five are not scientific at all as they have never been observed. People believe in them yes, but that does not make it science.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

You know how I know evolution isn't real?

Bananas

https://youtu.be/2z-OLG0KyR4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

paul_soccer10 posted:

5. Macro Evolution – Changing from one kind of animal into another kind. Ex: ape to human.
6. Micro Evolution – Variation within the kinds. Ex: long-haired, short-haired, long-legged, short-legged, etc.

Only micro evolution, number six on the list, has ever been observed. The other five are not scientific at all as they have never been observed. People believe in them yes, but that does not make it science.

there is no difference between them because whether two animals are "two different kinds" or "variations within a kind" is entirely a product of the categorizing system that humans invented. the idea of "species" doesn't exist in nature in and of itself

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

there is no difference between them because whether two animals are "two different kinds" or "variations within a kind" is entirely a product of the categorizing system that humans invented. the idea of "species" doesn't exist in nature in and of itself

tell that to noah you cant he's in heaven which is stricly off limits to people like you

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Earwicker posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraminology

Now don't you feel dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I love the "you haven't observed it so it's not real :smug:" argument because actually observing evolution on such a large scale that a new species is created would require keeping very rigorous track of animal bloodlines and genetic sequences over the course of millennia and as such is actually impossible

It's a really smart place to put your goalposts if you're really invested in them never being reached

• Locked thread