Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

paul_soccer10 posted:

tell that to noah you cant he's in heaven which is stricly off limits to people like you

thats just a story thats been exaggerated over the years noah was actually told to just bring 2 everything bagels, 2 poppy seed, 2 onion, 4 plain, and 2 pumpernickel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

yeah a whole bunch. also knew several 9/11 truthers/preppers. i dont really care if people have crazy beliefs if theyre fun to hang out with

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Earwicker posted:

thats just a story thats been exaggerated over the years noah was actually told to just bring 2 everything bagels, 2 poppy seed, 2 onion, 4 plain, and 2 pumpernickel

If you read the bible he actually says to bring seven pairs of every "clean" bagel and one pair of every "unclean" bagel (this means those sweet bagels you can find sometimes that are like french-toast or cinnamon-sugar flavor)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats worst:

moon landing truthers
9/11 truthers
evolution truthers

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

I went to university with this girl; we worked together on some projects and both of us graduated from the engineering program a few years ago.

This is a full grown woman with a Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering from one of the best universities in Canada and she does not accept evolution as a credible theory :psyduck:

Pawl fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

loquacius posted:

I love the "you haven't observed it so it's not real :smug:" argument because actually observing evolution on such a large scale that a new species is created would require keeping very rigorous track of animal bloodlines and genetic sequences over the course of millennia and as such is actually impossible

It's a really smart place to put your goalposts if you're really invested in them never being reached

We've actually observed speciation, but these people either find a way to disregard the evidence or move the goalpost. They want to see something like a monkey giving birth to a human.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah. Just learned not to talk about science or ancient history with them.

I've met a couple, both of them in different IT shops in different companies. I got along with both of them really well, both funny and smart and clever. Then one day the subject comes up, and they say, "No, god did it."

Not being a guy who needs to covert anyone to anything, I just shrug and we all go to lunch and it probably never comes up again.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

paul_soccer10 posted:

whats worst:

moon landing truthers
9/11 truthers
evolution truthers

this old lady i used to work with was the first 2 but i dont remember her ever talking about evolution. she told me that when society collapses i should come to her and her husbands house where they have all the guns, i thought that was a very nice gesture

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pawl posted:

I went to university with this girl; we worked together on some projects and both of us graduated from the engineering program a few years ago.

This is a full grown woman with a Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering from one of the best universities in Canada and she does not accept evolution as a credible theory :psyduck:

Leaders of Islamic fundamentalist terrorist groups tend to have engineering degrees too, so at least she's not that bad.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I once saw a monkey evolve into a man at the zoo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We've actually observed speciation, but these people either find a way to disregard the evidence or move the goalpost. They want to see something like a monkey giving birth to a human.

It's also easy to prove something is impossible if you redefine it to mean an impossible thing

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I once saw a monkey evolve into a man at the zoo

that was probably just me

I go there to sober up sometimes

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

loquacius posted:

that was probably just me

I go there to sober up sometimes

No, I watched. The monkey turds stayed turds.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

years ago two friendly old guys (probably mormon or inner mission) came to my door and asked about my relationship with jesus. they tried to convince me that that evolution was fake because the coelacanth hadn't evolved for 400 million years, and that literally all scientists were liars because of the piltdown man

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

evolution is a lie you idiots

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

idk why there are 9/11 truthers. the on the record truth is damning enough. there was literally memo titled 'bin laden determined to strike in america' and our illiterate president didn't even try to read it. the story doesn't require embellishment

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

loquacius posted:

If you read the bible he actually says to bring seven pairs of every "clean" bagel and one pair of every "unclean" bagel (this means those sweet bagels you can find sometimes that are like french-toast or cinnamon-sugar flavor)

no thats if you are reading a hosed up mistranslated (deliberately) version that started coming out with the new testament. in the actual Torah it specifically says that he was told not to bring any unclean or "sweet" bagels including those mentioned in leviticus such as the blueberry bagel or the ch*colate chip bagel. it was due to the spread of christianity in northwestern europe that this instruction was reversed in bibles printed in english and dutch, a change that was necessary in order to convert the populace because people in that region have a common genetic trait in which they are born with really loving terrible taste.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

If evolution was real then how come I haven't evolved enough intelligence to believe in evolution ?

Check mate science.

River Crab
May 12, 2005

Perhaps a careful review of your options is in order.
A classmate from a while ago is the only one I know for certain. Somehow the issue came up and she used the "then why are all fruits and vegetables the correct size for our hands?" argument, then she kept telling me it took more faith to accept evolution than creationism. It was a strange conversation because she seemed quite rational about everything else and it remained friendly from beginning to end. I didn't feel any hostility from her at all and we were still friendly for the rest of the semester.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
My ex-mother-in-law swore up and down that EVILution was a lie and could even be disproven with "Real Science."

She also once told us that water becomes rotten when it "loses all its oxygen" which I guess is technically true but not at all the point she was trying to make.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

I studied physical geography at uni with and a top on year to certify as a high school geography teacher and one of my fellow students was young earth ultra conservative protestant girl. Graduated cum laude too btw.
I remember fieldwork in morocco, camping out on what once was a shallow seabed (a hundred plus million years ago) but now part of the sahara. The entire surface was just strewn with fossils of primordial life, all sorts of neat critters, long extinct aquatic lifeforms and lots of plants. Nothing spectacular, no thing bigger than a finger or a palm, but all still clearly recognizable things that used to be alive a long loving time ago. and billions of them. The fuckers were just everywhere the shifting dunes exposed the rock surface around us.
You can deny evidence when its staring you in the face, but you cannot deny the Lord it seems.
Very nice and friendly girl though, never a bad word out of her, never engaged the teachers or fellow students in discussions unless we initiated it. She just wanted to become a geography teacher and if you have to learn lies to become one, well you' d better study harder than all those hell-bound evolutionistas.
What makes this eve more bizarre is that she is hardly unique. Dutch ultra conservative christians can send their children to ultra conservative schools, but those school may not alter the actual coursework to fit their believes. So the geological timescale, plate tectonics, long term climatic changes, the formation and erosion of mountain ranges and all that jazz are inescapable subjects for every student and teacher. As is evolution in biology classes. Right now the is teaching stuff she doesn't believe to a class that prob doesn't believe it either.

Well thats my story.

(De SGP voor de nederlandse lezer)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I was talking to Carl Sagan the other day, he's actually a young earth creationist :ssh:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, but the more horrifying aspect of their faith were their views on abortion, which basically amounted to women should have to die if their pregnancy could be a risk to their life, including chemo for cancer: baby first, no abortion ever

Her reason was "Doctors can never prove that pregnancy could be a risk" or something. She was adopted and her adoptive parents were nuts, they had a centerpiece in their living room that was a cross made from the corn husks harvested that year with a very graphic wooden Jesus placed on top.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
my freshman year college roommate was an anti-evolution dude. at some point, i don't remember how, the topic came up and he looked at me like i had ghosts coming out of my eyeballs. he was real hardcore evangelical christian and, of course, also a big ol' piece of poo poo who cheated on his girlfriend all the time and joined the local super-rapey fraternity

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If I am right and we die I will go to heaven and you will go to hell.

If you're right and we die nothing will happen.

Checkmate you non believing evolutionists :smug:

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I don't believe in evolution, OP.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Me OP, I do not believe in evolution.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Pretty much all of my extended family most of them work for churches in the Bible Belt and such.

However, being a science teacher who emphsizes biological evolution whenever I get the chance, I have run into quite a few parents who believe in creationism. I have butted heads with many parents over the years and have developed quite a reputation for my dogged support of science. I do have two favorite examples:

1. One year, at Back To School, I had a mom who was very belligerent. She demanded to know why I would teach evolution to children. I answered her, that it was not only state law, but also verified science. She kept hammering me, bringing up all this creationist nonsense, all of which I countered with science. After several relentless minutes she finally stopped, smiled and said " I guess my daughter's in the right class." It turns out she was a biology professor at the local university and taught evolution, and wanted to make sure her daughter was getting a decent science education.

2. Quite a long time ago, we got word that a bunch of creationists were going to address the school board. Since anybody can address the board, I signed up to offer my views. During the board meeting, I endured a group of people trying to explain why evolution was bad, and how, at the least we needed to have "equal time", in the name of "fairness". When I got up for my turn, I explained that I taught science, and that creationism was, in no way, based on science, that it was a thinly-veiled attempt to bring one particular religious view into the science class. Then I said "I will now provide you with every single example of scientifically verifiable evidence that supports creationism over evolution:" I spent the rest of my time in absolute silence as the board and audience became increasingly unconfortable.

Eventually the board concluded that evolution is part of the science curriculum, and creationism wasn't, and trying to shoehorn it into the curriculum would just take up valuable time in out already-crowded schedule.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 29, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

genesplicer posted:

Pretty much all of my extended family most of them work for churches in the Bible Belt and such.

However, being a science teacher who emphsizes biological evolution whenever I get the chance, I have run into quite a few parents who believe in creationism. I have butted heads with many parents over the years and have developed quite a reputation for my dogged support of science. I do have two favorite examples:

1. One year, at Back To School, I had a mom who was very belligerent. She demanded to know why I would teach evolution to children. I answered her, that it was not only state law, but also verified science. She kept hammering me, bringing up all this creationist nonsense, all of which I countered with science. After several relentless minutes she finally stopped, smiled and said " I guess my daughter's in the right class." It turns out she was a biology professor at the local university and taught evolution, and wanted to make sure her daughter was getting a decent science education.

2. Quite a long time ago, we got word that a bunch of creationists were going to address the school board. Since anybody can address the board, I signed up to offer my views. During the board meeting, I endured a group of people trying to explain why evolution was bad, and how, at the least we needed to have "equal time", in the name of "fairness". When I got up for my turn, I explained that I taught science, and that creationism was, in no way, based on science, that it was a thinly-veiled attempt to bring one particular religious view into the science class. Then I said "I will now provide you with every single example of scientifically verifiable evidence that supports creationism over evolution:" I spent the rest of my time in absolute silence as the board and audience became increasingly unconfortable.

Eventually the board concluded that evolution is part of the science curriculum, and creationism wasn't, and thying to shoehorn it into the curriculum would just take up valuable time in out already-crowded schedule.

What's like to have an extented family actually?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry, that's a bit of an E/N question

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
I was in a Writing 121 class at community college and we were about to do the 2nd part of a lecture on 'the scientific method' so the dumb dumbs in the class could figure out how to present an argument in an essay and for 5 minutes before the teacher walked in, 3 kids were talking about how the scientific method was wrong and that evolution was a lie and 'I just believe God is the right idea so I don't know why we have to sit here and pretend to listen to this...' and then teacher walked in and they sat quietly and 'learned' for two hours.

One of these kids also believed in God because they 'had to' because their dad was dead. Tough brakes.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

My mom doesn't believe in evolution and goes so far as to not accept that mental conditions can be inherited genetically. I tried to explain as simply as I understand that many things have been identified in the human genome like certain alleles definitely effect things like anxiety disorders or schizophrenia but she just kind of waved it off and said that she still thinks environment is the main thing that effects people. If I spelled effect wrong and it should be affect than suck my dick op.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
if evolution is real why arent horses unicorns

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Friendly Humour posted:

What's like to have an extented family actually?

We're talking aunts, uncles, cousins and such. I have not seen any of them in about 10 years, something I do not regret. I have some of them as friends on facebook, which means I have to endure a constant barrage of ultra-rightwing idiocy. But they have to endure my science stuff, so it balances out.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Zorodius posted:

if evolution is real why arent horses unicorns

No selection pressure to become so.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Celluloid Sam posted:

My mom doesn't believe in evolution and goes so far as to not accept that mental conditions can be inherited genetically. I tried to explain as simply as I understand that many things have been identified in the human genome like certain alleles definitely effect things like anxiety disorders or schizophrenia but she just kind of waved it off and said that she still thinks environment is the main thing that effects people. If I spelled effect wrong and it should be affect than suck my dick op.

Ok let's be serious here for a moment, there are definately certain genealogies out there in the general population that need to be regulated. Such as Jews.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's the story behind people saying carbon dating is wrong? I remember when I was super young someone saying they threw a monkey bone into a hot springs for 3 hours and it got carbon dated at 12,000 years old and that was how carbon dating was wrong.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

What's the story behind people saying carbon dating is wrong? I remember when I was super young someone saying they threw a monkey bone into a hot springs for 3 hours and it got carbon dated at 12,000 years old and that was how carbon dating was wrong.

the earth is only 6000 years old and carbon dating disproves that so it must be wrong

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Friendly Humour posted:

Ok let's be serious here for a moment, there are definately certain genealogies out there in the general population that need to be regulated. Such as Jews.

I wasn't at all trying to say anything about eugenics in fact my own baby that's being made right now was too far along to have amniotic testing done so I don't know a thing about it myself I was just saying we know where those things lie in genetic code so they obviously have am effect.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

genesplicer posted:

We're talking aunts, uncles, cousins and such. I have not seen any of them in about 10 years, something I do not regret. I have some of them as friends on facebook, which means I have to endure a constant barrage of ultra-rightwing idiocy. But they have to endure my science stuff, so it balances out.

I have two cousins. Everything else in my paternal and maternal family trees has been obliterated in wars or never borne offspring. I just realised that's a bit odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Friendly Humour posted:

I have two cousins. Everything else in my paternal and maternal family trees has been obliterated in wars or never borne offspring. I just realised that's a bit odd.

RIP your bloodline.

• Locked thread