Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Released in 2004, Hellforces is one of the best FPS games made in Russia. Russia is not Ukraine.

So, here's its Motherland cover. Behold.

This is the first title to use the engine that later went on to star in such glorious games as Stalin's Subway and Dusk-12.

01. Trinity sunglasses.

02. Just playing rap.

03. Eat me.

04. Rocket science.

05. The whips are missing.

06. Master of Souls.

07. Indiana Jones & The Load of Bollocks.

08. The brightest sewer.

09. Gamma correction.

10. The hell...

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo.

When do we get the night "vision"?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

Holy poo poo.

When do we get the night "vision"?
11 minutes in.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I remember the cover (the Russian one).
Never played the game, thankfully. The 10 year old me knew better.

In case anyone's wondering, the blue blurb says that the game is copy-protected and that the key is on the disc's front side.
Fun fact: the legal copies of the games in Russia mostly had StarForce. It sucked. No idea what this one had, but I don't care either.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

11 minutes in.

It has a horrible sound with it too! :allears:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Another fun fact: the guy who voiced the main character here also voiced the tutorial (and maybe Medivh, but I could be mistaken here) in Warcraft 3.
This fact makes me sad, because...

...the voice acting in the Russian version of Warcraft 3 is superior to that of other versions. All of them. And most games, period. We're talking at least Deux Ex: HR levels of good.

The guy does not deserve this awkward-rear end dialogue (the English subtitles do not reflect the full extent of how lovely it is).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

This is... this is a game, yes. That's about as far as I've gotten so far. This seems like one of those games that isn't really anything. It just is.

Though I do have to point out that I had a little chuckle at the picture of a bird amidst all the pictures of models. You've always got that one co-worker that doesn't get with the program.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Well that's the worst sound design I've heard in a while.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Gah, that nightvision is murder on the senses. The double-jump grunt is quality, though. Huh-HUH! Huh-HUH! It's like an aborted Beavis & Butthead chuckle, repeated ad nauseam.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So many first person shooter cardinal sins in just the first few levels alone. I can't wait to see how this unfolds. :allears:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Congrats on choosing to LP Russian Postal. I tend not to like Let's Plays of first person shooters, but the Vivisector LP is one of my personal favorites and this thing's already shaping up to be the same sort of inexplicable whatever-the-gently caress.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
following the stalin subway thread gives me mixed feelings about this LP
that game blurs the lines between the slow motion train-collison transit authority and the bullet induced rage-vomit Bureau with the facile efficiency of a drunken politburo vice secretary

this is to say: it is a hot goddam mess that i can't steal my eyes from,
so I can only assume this will be the hottest of messes

edit:
ARRGGH (-2 health)
euuuugh (-3 health)
euueeeeh (-3)
edit2:
whoa ten rounds to kill basic zombie
heh enemies barely filch or move, even hit with a lead pipe
oh christ shooting yourself does the most damage out of anything
:dogbutton: one zombie model has an exposed spine which is clearly just reinforced rebar
edit3:
oh god that night vision, I didn't listen, I didn't know
okay last one but what the hell is a first-aid outfit?

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 30, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

skullhead tethyis posted:

okay last one but what the hell is a first-aid outfit?
In Russian it's a "first aid [word that can mean a kit or a set, maybe a set of tools and thus an outfit]"

Praise the sun it's not one of the more remote translations

http://www.multitran.ru/c/m.exe?CL=1&s=%ED%E0%E1%EE%F0&l1=1

I'd love a "first aid type setting" or a "first aid gang"

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
The boss told everyone to bring in a poster of their favorite chick, one man misunderstood.

Please explain to me what those metal teeth have to do with Dracula and how they heal you. Does he use them to eat corpses? And why the horrendous matrix reference? Double jumping?? Cyber cops? zombie dogs that attack zombies? Weapons that are all carbon copies of each other?

After Vivisector it is funny to see the developers have a different part of the body that will come off for each zombie model.

Mister Geist? Is he a Russian goth, his wit is sensational.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

That action roll is possibly the greatest animation I have ever seen.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
"What a crap" spotted;
10/10
Would Recommend.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Had some time, cooked up another video.

02. Just playing rap.

Did they recycle prostitutes for zombies? And do the rats make the same body dropping sound as everyone else? You tell me.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

Did they recycle prostitutes for zombies?

Yes.

SelenicMartian posted:

And do the rats make the same body dropping sound as everyone else?

Yes.

Why is that dog a robot dog? And if all your bullets ricochet off of it, how are you hurting it? Are your bullets just denting its internals very slightly until eventually it breaks down and can't move?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I thought I couldn't expect less from this game, but no, here I was expecting them to actually be able to pick some rap music for their rap-playing boom box.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!
:stare:

When you mentioned in the Stalin Subway thread that Russian games were bad , I thought it couldn't be so bad...

I stand corrected. Holy poo poo, this is a mess.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Cathode Raymond posted:

Why is that dog a robot dog? And if all your bullets ricochet off of it, how are you hurting it? Are your bullets just denting its internals very slightly until eventually it breaks down and can't move?

He just gets sick of the sound effect.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

TheMcD posted:

I thought I couldn't expect less from this game, but no, here I was expecting them to actually be able to pick some rap music for their rap-playing boom box.

The way that SM was talking about it I knew that they were going to gently caress it up somehow, but I think I assumed that the boombox (canonically, "the silver tape recorder") would just not play any music at all. When the music started and it was the wrong genre, I was even more confused.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
This game is magical. Were the developers inept, or did they just not care?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

This game is magical. Were the developers inept, or did they just not care?

Probably inept but excited at the start and eventually turned into a pained attempt to keep a ship on fire from totally sinking.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Jeez, this game makes even 'You are empty' seem somewhat competently made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbRbBF1b3Sw

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
You are empty is beautiful compared to this. I will give the game credit, it is trying to keep things interesting by changing things up every level. We had apartments, sewers, gardens, half life dungeon, catacombs, and now thug life. Its just a shame they failed to produce a single decent section so far.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheMcD posted:

Is it bad that I kind of dug the 'rap' music? It's just so tryhard, it's amazing :allears:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I love every bad fps from east europe because no matter how bad it is, they still manage to give their games soul and some weird form of charm which puts them ahead of our own bad fps industry that churns out another army mans shooter in the meantime

With that being said, this game puts my patience for zombie killing to a hard test

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Tin Tim posted:

I love every bad fps from east europe because no matter how bad it is, they still manage to give their games soul and some weird form of charm which puts them ahead of our own bad fps industry that churns out another army mans shooter in the meantime

Eastern European games, especially shooters, also seem to have a very distinct aesthetic that makes it pretty easy to tell them apart from Western and Asian games. If you want games that get bleakness right, go East.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Really enjoying this... whatever this is. Can you somehow give a warning in the videos or something before you use the 'nightvision' or something though? It's literally nauseating.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I will have to give up on this. The trinity glasses gives me a painful headache and the game is not worth the suffering.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Really enjoying this... whatever this is. Can you somehow give a warning in the videos or something before you use the 'nightvision' or something though? It's literally nauseating.
Won't be using it much for a while.

Ended up putting together another video, now I'll take a short break.

Before you watch, think:
What does Dracula sound like?
What are the tactical advantages of dwarfism?

03. Eat me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I just noticed that you pick up "first aid outfits". I don't know why that amuses me so much, but it does.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

One of the problems with localizations is that people misunderstand the relative weight of curse words

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
I do wonder at this point if we are ever going to see demons in this game called Hellforces.

(Apart from the robodog)

They were seriously thinking of licensing their engine to other companies? And they couldn't even be assed to fix the lighting or the bullet trajectories.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
This game is... something!

Keep up the good work.

RoboDog - you will be remembered

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

Is it bad that I kind of dug the 'rap' music? It's just so tryhard, it's amazing :allears:

I'm pretty sure that sample is from a Marilyn Manson song.

fake edit: yup. http://youtu.be/nElytJo50iM

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

NuminaXLT posted:

I'm pretty sure that sample is from a Marilyn Manson song.

fake edit: yup. http://youtu.be/nElytJo50iM
Holy poo poo.

I'll have to upload the game's OST somewhere, because a chunk of it is Doom tracks played from memory, I think.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

7/10

04. Rocket science.

The HD version is still processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
The weapons really do look like cheap B-movie props. And the sound effects, it sounds like the rocket launcher is a nerf gun with a busted spring when you load the rockets in the backflaps.

A shame that under more oppressive times the ruskies managed to produce perhaps their finest game - Tetris, and now the industry is mostly relegated to this kind of stuff.

• Locked thread