Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

If the ALP had shown a shred of leadership on the issue we might not have to make the choice you're offering.

Like when they got rid of Howard's measures then got slaughtered in the polls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Bill shorten likes nickelback supports boat turn backs

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
In the last thread someone posted a good primer on Negative Gearing, can that get posted again? I'd like to refer someone to it.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Although he probably does like Nickelback, the boring sod that he is

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

EvilElmo posted:

Would you prefer the ALP to have the Greens asylum seeker policy and remain in opposition or for them to have the current policy with a chance of forming Government?

Can I go with the humane asylum seeker policy?

Not torturing innocent people is a fairly simple line in the sand. Crossing it for any reason, makes you wrong on a fundamental level.

You are literally advocating crimes against humanity for the sake of political power.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

Although he probably does like Nickelback, the boring sod that he is

Even the Queensland Police hate Nickelback.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How many of you are going to not preference Labor just to prove a point?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

KennyTheFish posted:

Not torturing innocent people is a fairly simple line in the sand. Crossing it for any reason, makes you wrong on a fundamental level.

You are literally advocating crimes against humanity for the sake of political power.

Anything other than Liberal policy is "soft on boats, they wan't people to die at sea".

The electorate wanted a change of asylum seeker policy, briefly, then people died at sea, so now they can hide behind that as them wanting tough borders.

It's worth pointing out, 20% of the Green vote believe the Government is too soft or correct in their asylum policy. With 24% saying it is responsible or fair.

edit: The Greens and the section (reasonable in size) of the ALP who want change need to start figuring out how to change the view in the seats that matter. Currently that isn't happening. Until that happens, the policy that is in place will remain.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 2, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EvilElmo posted:

Would you prefer the ALP to have the Greens asylum seeker policy and remain in opposition or for them to have the current policy with a chance of forming Government?

I actually vote for the Greens based on economic, environmental and LGBT grounds before asylum seeker policy enters in*, so you might be picking this fight with the wrong person.

*Don't get me wrong, I agree with them on the asylum seeker situation as well, but things directly relevant to my life hold greater sway over my vote than that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

EvilElmo posted:

Changing legislation alone isn't leadership. Leadership is selling an idea to people and bringing them along with you.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Changing legislation alone isn't leadership. Leadership is selling an idea to people and bringing them along with you.

Interesting definition.

Why aren't the Greens showing leadership?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

In the last thread someone posted a good primer on Negative Gearing, can that get posted again? I'd like to refer someone to it.

I don't have it, but in a similar vein back in the Abbott/Hockey years there was of course the Medicare co-payment, and I remember that the numbers around the average number of visits per year were based on some very dodgy assumptions. I think maybe Freudian Slip had done them? Does anyone remember that story, and maybe have a link to the post?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Half the problem with people 'wanting' certain policies is entirely based on them being lied to anyway. That doesn't delegitimize the parties that actually have sane, humane, evidence based policies. That just points out something is hideously loving wrong with the system.

Votes towards Greens sends the message to the ALP that people still want left leaning parties, majority or no. The ALP swinging to the right isn't going to win them right-wing votes since those voters already have the LNP, but they could win Green votes if they actually acted like a left-wing party. And most greens would probably be perfectly fine with an ALP that wasn't just LNP-lite being in power, I'm sure.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorbash posted:

I don't have it, but in a similar vein back in the Abbott/Hockey years there was of course the Medicare co-payment, and I remember that the numbers around the average number of visits per year were based on some very dodgy assumptions. I think maybe Freudian Slip had done them? Does anyone remember that story, and maybe have a link to the post?

Spectacularly wrong

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-13/tony-shepherd-incorrect-doctor-visits/5436706

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

KennyTheFish posted:

I think it's a stretch to call it Torture. We're not waterboarding them, nor tearing off their fingernails, nor forcing them to go without sleep. They made the choice to try to come here knowing what would happen and are free to return to their own country at any time.

If I could teleport them instantly back to say Indonesia, I would.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

LibertyCat posted:

I think it's a stretch to call it Torture. We're not waterboarding them, nor tearing off their fingernails, nor forcing them to go without sleep. They made the choice to try to come here knowing what would happen and are free to return to their own country at any time.

yeah but you're insane

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

LibertyCat posted:

People are literally killing themselves rather than go back to whatever they escaped from, and you keep trotting this out like they're just on loving vacation or something.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EvilElmo posted:

Yeah, there was nothing else going on in the Labor Party at the time affecting their popularity.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

just admit you like that official ALP policy supports torturing asylum seekers until they kill themselves, dude

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Interesting definition.

Why aren't the Greens showing leadership?

They are, people aren't listening though. Rudd had an opportunity when his approval rating was sky high to make a strong moral argument for it and people would've listened but he hosed it up and now any proposal to do anything gets drowned out by the shrieking from News Ltd.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wow this episode of Four Corners just got wild.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Wow this episode of Four Corners just got wild.

What are they looking at?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

meteor9 posted:

Half the problem with people 'wanting' certain policies is entirely based on them being lied to anyway. That doesn't delegitimize the parties that actually have sane, humane, evidence based policies. That just points out something is hideously loving wrong with the system.

Votes towards Greens sends the message to the ALP that people still want left leaning parties, majority or no. The ALP swinging to the right isn't going to win them right-wing votes since those voters already have the LNP, but they could win Green votes if they actually acted like a left-wing party. And most greens would probably be perfectly fine with an ALP that wasn't just LNP-lite being in power, I'm sure.

It really hasn't increased enough. It's stable at around 7%. It would take a Green meltdown to pick up that 7%. Doesn't matter what the ALP did, we could copy word for word 100% Greens policy, and the 7% would remain.
It's currently around 9-10% so we would get 2-3% of their vote. Almost none of which are in marginal ALP/LNP seats.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:agreed:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

What are they looking at?

It's about negative gearing and property prices. They interviewed one of the Presenters of “The Business” (the ABC nightly Business program) said she examined her mortgage document and found that the bank had overstated her income.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Thank you - ah, good times.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Actually sleep deprivation caused by appalling, stress-inducing conditions isn't uncommon :goonsay:

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, there was nothing else going on in the Labor Party at the time affecting their popularity.

Abbott won in a huge way stopping the boats, ScoMo is very popular for that reason. Sorry, but asylum seeker policy is currently not being sold in marginal seats very well.

They are, people aren't listening though. Rudd had an opportunity when his approval rating was sky high to make a strong moral argument for it and people would've listened but he hosed it up and now any proposal to do anything gets drowned out by the shrieking from News Ltd.

As soon as people started dying at sea, it was always going to be an uphill battle. It's a complex issue and simple answers are easier to sell.

"People dying at sea on boats?"
"Stop them getting on boats."

Rudd got rid of most of the pacific solution in 2008, events in 2010 stopped it from remaining.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BCR posted:

I disagree on this point. China is being a regional bully and bullying the poo poo out of its neighbours with its magical 9 dash line in the south china sea that it refuses to clarify with so it can claim as much as possible. To the extent that the local powers want the US back in to balance the Chinese threat.

I obliquely referred to what China was doing and I'd agree they are being bullies but the US have been playing neo colonialists in the region (Japan, Phillipines, need I mention Vietnam?) I'm not seeing them as being a preferred party if we did indeed have to choose between China and the USA. I mean I could have mentioned Tibet . The Chinese have been remarkably patient with Taiwan for example.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How many of you are going to not preference Labor just to prove a point?
Just to piss Evil Elmo off I'm going to preference everyone else ahead of Labour and the the nut jobs and then the LNP so I guess I'm still preferencing Labour :shrug:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LibertyCat posted:

please teleport yourself into the sun tia

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Abbott won in a huge way stopping the boats, ScoMo is very popular for that reason. Sorry, but asylum seeker policy is currently not being sold in marginal seats very well.

As soon as people started dying at sea, it was always going to be an uphill battle. It's a complex issue and simple answers are easier to sell.

"People dying at sea on boats?"
"Stop them getting on boats."

Rudd got rid of most of the pacific solution in 2008, events in 2010 stopped it from remaining.

The easiest one to sell is that if people want to risk their lives then it's on them. It might be even easier to set up an asylum application center in Indonesia and Malaysia but that never happened either. Instead we get the whole 'torturing people for their own good' poo poo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
ScoMo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone got masseffect.txt?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's about negative gearing and property prices. They interviewed one of the Presenters of “The Business” (the ABC nightly Business program) said she examined her mortgage document and found that the bank had overstated her income.

Is that a crime? As it dosn't seem to be, why is it not one?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

The easiest one to sell is that if people want to risk their lives then it's on them. It might be even easier to set up an asylum application center in Indonesia and Malaysia but that never happened either. Instead we get the whole 'torturing people for their own good' poo poo.

You mean the one that was tried initially with no success? So easy the Greens can't even convince their own base of?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Like the banks have any oversight.

Also QandA seems actually watchable.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like the banks have any oversight.

Also QandA seems actually watchable.

Politician free?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

Politician free?

Pru Goward, but she's not the worst ever, and being a state level politician helps give some distance from the federal stuff. George Megalogenis and Laura Tingle can make up for a lot.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pru Goward, but she's not the worst ever, and being a state level politician helps give some distance from the federal stuff. George Megalogenis and Laura Tingle can make up for a lot.

Always wondered if it was true she was sleeping with Howard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Yeah, this is a pretty good QandA so far, Turntbull bashing is always good, also the same applies for overall politician bashing.

• Locked thread