Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stux posted:

this is alsways a good plan friend, what games in particular ar eon the short list?

Bravely Second
Various Warriors Games
Dark Souls 1 too if I can muster up the ability to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bless goons for making this possible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really need to actually finish DS1

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the last thing I did was get past that Dragon who sat above the gate at the end of the bridge and I haven't touched the game since then

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Try and smash his tail off at least.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I made a video about the Nioh demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwfJdcki92Q
Watch it, or don't. I'm pretty new at this "making videos" thing, so any constructive feedback is appreciated.

I know I'm not a very entertaining commentator.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seconding the nioh recommendation. level 1 is awesome and you get a dlc prize for when the main game comes out if you beat it. level 2 is pretty sloppy and basically just a challenge slog of tough enemies for people who can't get enough.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I beat Star Fox Zero.

I'll say, it's a game that introduces itself to you in the worst possible way, but I found myself enjoying it by the end. The big problem I think isn't the controls; it's that the game feels derivative of SF64. From a mechanical standpoint, they haven't added anything to the core gameplay whatsoever; the only big change is the control system, which in theory allows you to manuever freely while shooting in a different direction. This doesn't really play out as smoothly as the designers seem to have wanted, but at the same time it does manage to, when you finally get a feel for it, allow you a sense of flying freely through space and shooting bad guys. In execution, though, it's really no different from how I'd play Star Fox normally--I still want to face my opponent to shoot at them, so having to fumble with positioning my aircraft and moving the targeting reticule is much more frustrating than it should.

I'm certain there's a bunch of alternate routes and stuff I haven't found, but I'm sort of cool on replaying the game again, outside of maybe finding the loving boss battles. Guys, it's not really a great sign when one of the your penultimate boss battles is against the very first boss of the last game. Star Fox 64 had a boss fight at the end of every level, whereas this game pads out its level climaxes with Walker combat sections or gimmicks.

The only gimmick battle that I enjoyed was Facing Gigarilla, blowing off its rear end flap and taking it down with hacking, instead of actually fighting it straight on. That was amusing and felt very Platinum..

Really, though, this game feels like a remake, and i don't know why they opted to go in that direction. They just did a 3DS port of the 64 game a few years ago, it's not like the game needed to be done essentially a third time. And in the levels that are actually Star Fox levels, it feels exhilirating and fun and exactly how it should be; it's just that those levels get broken up with crappy stealth sections and other gimmick-based levels a bit too much.

I think Platinum really loves Star Fox and put a lot of effort into making this game look and sound great, and for what it wants to do, the gameplay is more than servicable; at the end of the day, however, alienating half your playerbase with a really convoluted control system that will guarantee at least a few hours of frustration, cutting out or putting on side paths a majority of boss battles, and reusing boss battles and gimmicks over and over, make the game feel needlessly bloated. All they needed to do was make an awesome Star Fox game. As it stands, there's a pretty good Star Fox game buried under a whole lot of...other things.

That said, this game does have one of the series' best moments: loving obliterating the whole Star Wolf squadron by myself over the surface of death star Venom was very satisfying. Dogfights in this game are really where it excels, once you figure out moving and aiming.

EDIT: For a contrast, the Wonderful 101 had a complicated control scheme that nevertheless felt proper for what the gameplay wanted you to do, and mastery of it was possible within a handful of levels, and it revealed only more limitless depth to the gameplay. It is hard to say that Star Fox Zero's controls work nearly as well.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 1, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

seconding the nioh recommendation. level 1 is awesome and you get a dlc prize for when the main game comes out if you beat it. level 2 is pretty sloppy and basically just a challenge slog of tough enemies for people who can't get enough.

I actually had a lot of fun with level 2 also. It's where I started dueling revenants.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I actually had a lot of fun with level 2 also. It's where I started dueling revenants.

yeah i did too to get the summon cups. the bro experience in this game works way better than i expected it to

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, how do you offer to help people? I only know how to summon...

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I just bought stardew valley so I finally get to play it, plus I'm going to buy stellaris like a sucker even though paradox launches are not great

I want to play witcher 3 too but I've been waiting to snipe it on sale for like a year now

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I want to point out that Platinum helped with the coding but they are not responsible for as much of Star Fox Zero as people seem to be assuming.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do wonder what the future of the franchise is now with this being the first "proper" Star Fox game in god knows how long. It seems Nintendo is unwilling or unable to simply make a new game in the same style as the old ones; every single iteration has been defined by gimmicks, whereas the first game's vehicles still tied in to the same basic gameplay mechanics. Star Fox 64 remains unique at least, and will continue to age well in the face of its sequels because it really did it all right that time. If that's really the peak of the series, then I'd like to consider Star Fox officially retired after this game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Buy me Rise of the Tomb Raider on Steam

I think I might just spend May watching my girlfriend play Pikmin 3. Jesus this game is beautiful.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

giogadi posted:

A free-to-play version of Forza for PC is starting May 5:

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_apex_beta_announce

Does anyone know why they went this route, and didn't just port Forza 6 to PC? I'm definitely going to check this out, but it seems weird that there aren't even plans to introduce multiplayer into this. Maybe Microsoft's just pushing to get more interesting F2P stuff (like Killer Instinct, too) to get more people to use the Windows Store?
A popular f2p game pulls in orders of magnitude more money than a normal game. You'd actually have to be insane to make non f2p games anymore but somehow everyone has not agreed to collude to not make normal games anymore

Eonwe posted:

im gonna play overwatch and use my vive this month
You got a Vive? What have you enjoyed on that so far
The sale was pretty gross too, most of the discounts were pretty small and the games were overpriced to begin with. On the other hand PSN had an anime sale too so

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmao.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

revolver ocelot may use a single action army, but check again. he's a man

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All I care to play from this coming Tuesday until forever is Overwatch. The open beta is first and then there'll be some time off between that and the official launch, so I guess i'll also play Uncharted 4. Otherwise all of my attention is going to be on Overwatch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

I made a video about the Nioh demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwfJdcki92Q
Watch it, or don't. I'm pretty new at this "making videos" thing, so any constructive feedback is appreciated.

I know I'm not a very entertaining commentator.

I like how, even with the same weapon, you've developed completely different strategies using low stance. I did high stance for near everything and only had to switch for groups and ninjas.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

All I care to play from this coming Tuesday until forever is Overwatch. The open beta is first and then there'll be some time off between that and the official launch, so I guess i'll also play Uncharted 4. Otherwise all of my attention is going to be on Overwatch.

when is the beta? i want to get my fill so i don't have to buy it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

Overwatch beta is tomorrow!!!

It's unfortunate that the only thing I know about that game is Tracer's rear end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I like how, even with the same weapon, you've developed completely different strategies using low stance. I did high stance for near everything and only had to switch for groups and ninjas.

Yeah, I didn't use low stance at all for a long time on my first character. Trying it out in the second mission when I was messing around is what inspired me to make the video. Some people talked about how they died a lot to first few enemies, so I thought maybe showing a different playstyle would be helpful to people just trying the demo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

when is the beta? i want to get my fill so i don't have to buy it

Tuesday! You'll have plenty of beta time to play it and get bored if that is your intention. I think you'll enjoy it enough to want to buy it and play long term though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey thanks for recommending Blood Money, goons, it's a lot of fun!

I just finished the theatre level, but here's one complaint: there was no way for me to know that the second target would run and trip underneath the chandelier. Luckily I had placed a bomb in proper spot because there was a prompt for it earlier, but it felt a little convenient

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jay Rust posted:

Hey thanks for recommending Blood Money, goons, it's a lot of fun!

I just finished the theatre level, but here's one complaint: there was no way for me to know that the second target would run and trip underneath the chandelier. Luckily I had placed a bomb in proper spot because there was a prompt for it earlier, but it felt a little convenient

Eh, there are some here and there but alot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time. :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Tuesday! You'll have plenty of beta time to play it and get bored if that is your intention. I think you'll enjoy it enough to want to buy it and play long term though.

Thats for preorders though right? I thought the open was just the weekend

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats for preorders though right? I thought the open was just the weekend

There's an early access beta that begins for those who pre-ordered tomorrow. Everybody gets 5 days of the open beta from May 5-9.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope everybody is having a good day today

if you aren't having a good day, I'm sincerely wishing you the best of luck in having a better day soon :)

I want everybody to be happy and to have a good time

game on

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm gonna mow the lawn and then maybe do some job hunting. After that? Video games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got the true ending of steins gate

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That kokiri kid who thinks it's hilarious that someone got cursed to turn into a skeleton-man is one creepy npc.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I bet that kid has rupees inside.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That kokiri kid who thinks it's hilarious that someone got cursed to turn into a skeleton-man is one creepy npc.

Kids are cruel

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Call of Duty: Darkest of Days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDJX0Ttsfc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think steins gate handled the final plot twists better than life is strange did

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Kids are cruel

Especially magic kids.

• Locked thread