Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres actually a very good Liturgical Christianity thread in Ask/Tell that would probably be a better place to take the anti-Catholic stuff. At least there you might get well rounded and well thought out response from someone who is a regular church goer, rather than what JFairfax is expecting which is all Catholics to just admit "lol yeah child abuse owns imo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I at the least would be a bit uncomfortable having anyone as PM who believes they aren't accountable to anyone but god for their actions.

Like I think you should definitely be a practical humanist if you're going to be head of state anywhere regardless of your other religious beliefs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
JWs have done good work making it easier for people to opt out of blood transfusions and also in the development of synthetic blood replacements, so there's that.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yes I particularly like it when their children die for want of a simple medical procedure

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

JFairfax posted:

But then I also wouldn't trust a seventh day adventist, a mormon, a born again christian, a jehovah's witness or any other of a bunch of bat poo poo crazy christian sects with hosed up beliefs and world views.

Would you trust a Muslim to be prime minister

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I at the least would be a bit uncomfortable having anyone as PM who believes they aren't accountable to anyone but god for their actions.

Like I think you should definitely be a practical humanist if you're going to be head of state anywhere regardless of your other religious beliefs.

when I'm pm I will only be accountable to Satan

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Gorn Myson posted:

Theres actually a very good Liturgical Christianity thread in Ask/Tell that would probably be a better place to take the anti-Catholic stuff. At least there you might get well rounded and well thought out response from someone who is a regular church goer, rather than what JFairfax is expecting which is all Catholics to just admit "lol yeah child abuse owns imo".

There's a well rounded and thought out response to justify abuse and the institutional covering up of abuse??

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

Would you trust a Muslim to be prime minister

To be honest it would depend, I don't have any belief in god and would much rather have a skeptic as the prime minister than someone for whom religion was one of the most important things in their life.

But yes I would trust a muslim to be prime minister, so long as their religion was not something that defined their approach to policy making.

And I guess that's what I am saying about lapsed vs practicing Catholic, somewhat by definition a practicing Catholic who is an active member of that church is going to be morally opposed to certain things I consider to be fundamental in this day and age.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As opposed to the practicing protestant...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Not all practicing Catholics oppose contraception, gay marriage or female priests. If you assume this is the case I take it you haven't really talked to many Catholics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I mean the practicing protestant could well be A-OK with wiping the Catholic Church off the face of the planet which I think Jfairfax would probably consider a fundamental part of modern life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread is up here, so we can shitpost about Brexit/Europe instead of Reformation/Catholicism. Same great taste, 400 year difference!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778394

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I suspect by practicing he means bigoted

• Locked thread