Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
This thread is bad for Corbyn imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TiernanDouieb/status/725766294323253250

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I was walking through Southsea (note: not Portsmouth) this afternoon when what did I come across? An open top double decker bus hired by UKIP and done up in their colours blaring the theme from Dambusters out of a loudspeaker, all in aid of, I assume, getting their candidate for police commissioner elected

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Well I'll be out voting tomorrow after work, and still wondering quite how a city like Portsmouth keeps voting Tory. Then I look across as Southampton which seems to be more Labour biased and realise that yes, the people in this city are so petty they will never ever vote red

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So it seems as if I have misplaced my passport, and I'm due to fly to the USA in 29 days. What are the honest chances of my actually receiving my passport back before I fly out if I can have the countersigned form and photos sent back super duper recorded delivery first thing on Monday morning?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

If you've got the cash and can make a trip to London, you can get a same-day replacement IIRC.

cash yes, but no holiday and no flexibility to get into the capital. I did check though

Flatscan posted:

Use the post office check and send, they'll make sure there aren't any mistakes on the form that might delay things. I've never had it take more than a fortnight doing it that way.

Just checked, I've applied online so this is also out of the question

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jose posted:

look for your closest place for it. mine is durham since i'm in newcastle and did it on a weekend last time iirc

It's definitely London which is a nightmare trek from Portsmouth. I've arranged to get photos and the form countersigned, but will take spares. If it looks dicey, I'll throw a sickie and try and get a same day one

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I wasn't exited at my polling station, just a solitary Lib Dem checking numbers. Last year, obviously due to the General Election so bright beaming Tory asked me as I left if I was having a "good day". Considering that 3 hours later we turned off my Dad's life support machine and looked at the time like I'd been crying for two days straight, no I wasn't having a good day

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The other thought I had was "and you smug Tory fuckers are going to have a majority in the morning"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

Burnham's transition to the Manchester mayoralty looks like a great move for someone who's expecting an extended period of violent ugliness in the PLP and would like to be able to step in at the end with clean hands.

I think he's got a lot of capital stored up from Hillsborough from taking the anger in 2009, setting up the panel and following it through to its conclusion.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I retract my earlier statement

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So, today is the first anniversary of my dad's death. It wasn't pleasant - kidney failure listed as the cause of death, complicated by hypertension all brought on by pneumonia, but that ain't important. My dad was though, a Metropolitan Police Officer from 1990 to 2011. Never made more than a beat cop, except when he made his last two years at Heathrow's Special Branch where he once denied Gordon Brown landing permission at RAF Northolt because he didn't have any ID (that's a true story). He made dealers drop their stash down drains rather than deal with the paper work because gently caress if someone selling eights of weed was important. He was on duty for Diana's funeral and apparently nearly wet himself at the hysterics from the crowds on the cortege route. He received precisely one complaint, and that's for calling a wife beater a "oval office". He brokered no bullshit and would not lay a hand on you unless you deserved it. He was the last of a dying breed of cops who would deal out a kicking when needed, and apply common sense when required. A throwback as it were. So when I see people kicking the police, it kind of makes me sad that the real arses in forces up and down the land make it bad for the ones who just want to do their loving job. Also, gently caress their bosses

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I genuinely think 80% of rank and file beat cops are good guys, the rest are just awful fucksticks. I remember one time my dad grassed on a fellow cop who had used pepper spray on someone who quite clearly didn't deserve it and got shunned as a result. But the shunning seemed like "well, we've been told to so we're doing it". The cops up the food chain are shitheads, those on the ground are generally okay and just following orders. Just a shame that they all get tarred with the same brush

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Probably old news admittedly...

https://twitter.com/claremargetson/status/730356688755249153

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Thames Valley just last weekend found the resources to send half a dozen riot vans full of filth and a handful of mounted officers to Portsmouth to intimidate and harass an anti-racism demonstration in Guildhall Square, so they can't be that desperate for cash.

that's because Hampshire doesn't have the cash, manpower or resources to police it themselves. The TVP are here tonight to police the P-mouth League 2 derby, as they have been for every Pompey home game

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

I find myself listening to "Gold Against The Soul" more often than not.

featuring Shovel from M People on percussion

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/730876315100942336

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they're not really hiding it, the ONS reports it surely, it's almost like nobody bothered looking.

I brought it up because I heard on the news that immigrants pay more in income tax than they receive in benefits but now I can't find a link to it anywhere, so that'll probably not get reported

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

On the topic of music chat the Stone Roses brought out a new single : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R0XZ9qjMil8

Not that great

They still haven't realised that Ian Brown cannot loving sing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

It was the 12+ when I took it in... 1991 I think. I think we had three mock exams in school, and the rest was workbooks my mum made me do and I think I started in the last month of year 6

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HumzaYousaf/status/731270770765254657

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Twitter gives any idiot with a phone the chance to rant in 140 characters or less

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/dannykellywords/status/731779905076264960

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Genuine question, because I'm probably a bit thick: why does the NHS need to be excluded for this trade deal the EU is negotiating with the US?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Because otherwise it would potentially allow private health providers in the US to sue the UK/the NHS for being anti-competitive by offering their services for free.

see, if someone just said that in the first place I would never have had to ask. Thanks for the explanation

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Even as the noun it can also mean a backwater swamp or a state of depression. An accurately named place.

we locals pronounce it however we drat well please. And it's not swampy, but it is a depressed backwater

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

You all may remember that I lost my passport a few weeks back. Turns out that it's been approved and sent to print today, so I should receive it by the weekend or early next week. However, the government's web tracking service is saying that I should "contact us immediately". Turns out that that status actually applied to another form I was sent last week and have already sent back.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/simonblackwell/status/735561755275997184

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Passport arrived Friday morning, making it 22 days since making the initial application to receiving it back. Was a little alarmed that it wasn't send secured/signed for post, but I have my passport a week before I fly to the USA

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

Remember to allow three days for ESTA approval. So basically do it now

did it the second I opened up the passport this morning. It used to be so much easier when you just filled a form out on the plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think I was fingerprinted in 2011 and 2013, and yeah, the ETSA approval was pretty much immediate. I did however like this question on the form:

JFairfax posted:

Esta approval is p much immediate.

Where in the us are you going? I just got my investor visa and will be applying for global entry so I get tsa pre screening and also super quick entry bypassing the usual immigration desks.

Detroit. Gotta watch me some Tigers games

• Locked thread