Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

poo poo, Abu Hajaar, get it together!

e; I kind of feel sorry for the poor bastards. I wouldn't want to roll up against some hardcore motherfuckers like the Peshmerga with anything less than a full-on US Carrier Group at my back, these idiots are rolling at them across an open plain in a goddamn technical. Though fair play to whoever welded that thing together, it held up to a rocket hit and kept the crew, at least, alive and uninjured.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Darth Walrus posted:

It's not a technical. ISIS laughs at such a lack of imagination. It's a Humvee with its front up-armoured into a giant loving ram and its rear half replaced with an open metal box lined with foam. A bunch of peshmerga take a look at it starting at 4:20 in this video.

:420:

Also you're right, though it wouldn't strictly be one anyway because there's no gun mounted in the cargo bed, but I didn't realize it was actually a Hummer. Also hahaha holy poo poo that thing is incredible. I guess if you're a scratch militia of goony kids you make do.

Relatedly it's incredibly surreal to be able to watch some of the fight from one side and then watch the aftermath from the other like this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gato posted:

From who? Even if you believe Ken is genuinely antisemitic, he's out, and nobody's stepping up to defend what he said.

Did you miss the big rally Corbyn had in Golders Green where he marched through with ten thousand blackshirts calling for the death of all the Jews?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I don't know about that, the thought of black bodies sounds like the only thing that can get an Express reader hard.

It's the live ones they've got a problem with.

:drat: Jesus

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pissflaps posted:

I can confirm that nothing was audible in Middlesbrough.

Can you?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonzo McFee posted:

I like coleslaw on my chips.

Wall.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Related, this came up in chemistry news this week.

Or perhaps it's more relevant to the Lib Dems (or Scottish Highland seats).

lmao glad to see chemists are as jejune as i am

I want to say "Good, Trump's going to get loving demolished in the General" but Christ on a cracker I don't want to take the chance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How much do you know about Cruz? I think I'd rather Trump be president, if I'm honest, but that's like choosing wank-on-chips over santorum-on-chips.

Oh, I mustn't have been clear, I didn't meant Cruz would be better than Trump by much, but rather than Cruz would have had a better chance of winning.

Anyway now I'll catch up on the rest of the thread and have some hot takes for you all real soon :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

mehall posted:

Say this going round FB and thought of you, thread:

This is some hosed up poo poo :staredog: Wotsits I can tolerate though I'd move them down one tier, and McCoy's cheese and onion are in the right place, but otherwise this is the most depraved thing to happen in this country since David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig.

Fake e; last night I typed up a blog post about what it's like being disabled and applying for benefits, which I don't know whether to xpost or not. It's mostly me bitching and I know this thread already mostly appreciates the situation, but would people be interested in reading it?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Alright, seeing as a couple people said they'd like to see it (and then I got massively distracted by Factorio);

So I recently had to resubmit the forms for one of my disability payments, and I wanted to take a second to tell those who might not know about it how it goes down. For reference I am diagnosed with severe anxiety, depression, and I suffer from cluster headache-migraine combos for four to six weeks out of the year. I’ll be talking about how poo poo things are for disabled people here so be forewarned if that might upset you.

Basically in the first instance, you get a questionnaire to fill out that asks things like “Can you do [x] unaided?” and on the face of it, it’s reasonable enough. But there is a fundamental problem that has arisen in part from scapegoating anyone on benefits, and the consequential public belief that something like £24 per £100 claimed are fraudulent (the real figure is approximately 70p per £100). This has fed into a system that is not acting on the principles of ‘trust but verify’, nor even of suspicion, but outright hostility. What does that mean for you, filling out the form?

It means you have to debase yourself. It means you have to answer every question with the emphasis on what you cannot do. The government likes to spout off about how they want to focus on what people CAN do rather than what we can’t, but the reality is that if we want to get the payments we are entitled to, the payments we need in order to not face eviction, cold, privation, even starvation, we have to tell complete strangers all about our worst moments.

They have no interest in helping a person with disabilities find an appropriate job. The whole thing has been farmed out to the private sector, and the way to make money in that racket is to deny as many claims as possible. They are not penalized for incorrect rulings, even though a full 58% of appeals are successful. That’s more than half. More than one half of appellants are successful. And this is not an easy or pleasant procedure, especially as it involves telling several MORE people about all the things you can’t do, all the things you need help with, all the things other people have to do for you. Can you imagine telling several strangers you need help cleaning yourself after using the bathroom, because if you don’t tell them, if you don’t make sure they believe it’s as bad as you say, you won’t be given the money you need to live? I’m not ashamed of my disabilities and I don’t think anyone should be, but A) my disabilities by their nature make it incredibly difficult and stressful for me to communicate with strangers anyway, and B) these things are intensely private for many people, and whilst I can appreciate some degree of verification for truth, making us share all our weaknesses and worst moments and lowest ebbs is deeply humiliating.

So you have to ignore what they say about “If it varies, tell us how” in the question about whether you can climb stairs by yourself, for example. If you say on some days you can do it without help, they’ll mark it down as complete and total ability to climb an arbitrary number of stairs in any situation, at any time. I have a friend who cannot even tell people in a public setting when she has a good physical day, because she’s terrified the DWP would hear. If they did, they would very possibly say “[x] managed to take a walk today, for the first time in three months? Fit for work.” Or imagine being terrified that on the one occasion per year you have the mental strength needed to go out in public, you get spotted on CCTV and have your benefits pulled as a result. I’m even thinking twice about posting this in case I face a punitive sanction on some bullshit pretense.

Everyone has some pride. Disabled people don’t want ‘special’ treatment, we just want treatment that accommodates our requirements. We want to get on with our lives just like anyone else, not tell the world about the things we can’t do.

Disabled people are living in fear. I want to stress that this is not in some third-world country where you might expect a weak public sector. This is happening in the United Kingdom. We’re forced to debase ourselves to prove we need a basic income that barely gets us by, we are often forced to go through a harrowing and majorly stressful appeals process (which is by design; the more people who just give up because it’s too much trouble, or because we do not have the mental reserves needed for the fight, or because we are actually not capable of mounting the challenge, the better in the Tory’s eyes). We have to keep hidden our little victories and minor improvements with our conditions, because they’ll take that money away the second they get the pretext. And on top of all that, we are demonized in the media as undeserving, as scroungers, as lazy and feckless. There have been disabled people who have committed suicide because the stress of fighting for the tiny sums they need to live is too much to face: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...m-8197640.html. There have been people who quite literally starved to death when their benefits were cut: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disabled-mark-wood-starved-death-3194250.

And as I said, we who are disabled don’t want much. Most of us WANT to work, same as anyone. We want to live our own lives in peace, to pursue our hobbies and interests, to learn about things we find interesting and cool. We want to spend time with friends and family. To meet someone special, who makes us smile every day. We just need some help with some of these things and a little financial help to get by, but we’re treated like we’re the reason the global economy imploded.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Seaside Loafer posted:

Thanks for that, I sent it to my friend I mentioned. The 'real' Mister Adequate would have had all the bastards involved in this displaced into the 3rd universe down, or maybe he/she/it wouldn't have given a toss, hard to tell with the sublimed isn't it :/

This is the bottommost universe where all the shits live :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I wasn't exited at my polling station, just a solitary Lib Dem checking numbers. Last year, obviously due to the General Election so bright beaming Tory asked me as I left if I was having a "good day". Considering that 3 hours later we turned off my Dad's life support machine and looked at the time like I'd been crying for two days straight, no I wasn't having a good day

Condolences from here too :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oberleutnant posted:

I think we shouldn't abandon any part of our sceptered isle to the tories if we can help it.
I'm sure Peterborough has many charming aspects.

I can confidently assure you it does not.

The results look decent enough, but of course anything less than a thumping so severe it causes the Government to collapse and spurs at least two (2) Cabinet-level suicides will be reported as a total and irrevocable failure on the part of Corbyn, who remains utterly unelectable.

e; wayyy, good man Willie, hopefully this will at least prevent anything getting worse that London hasn't inflicted.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 6, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

So I gather we did pretty OK but that this is Bad for Corbyn?

More or less. Done well enough to stop an apparent coup attempt that was in the works, at least, and the results aren't amazing but certainly not a disaster either. Got London for Sadiq, looks like, so that's nice as well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Darth Walrus posted:

Closer links with a bunch of terrifying Northern Irish loyalist militias, and a better grasp of the dark art of Internet clickbait.

What's terrifying about my uncle Jackie? :confused:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Having studied the US Civil War I was most put out when on today's Antiques Roadshow the lady pronounced "Tredegar" as "Tre-DEEG-ur" rather than "TRED-eh-gur"

bloody welsh, can't even pronounce the primary site of arms manufacturing for the Confederacy correctly

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Prince John posted:

There was a slightly strange comment in this BBC article about the decline of centre politics:

What surprises me is that it's talking about anti-austerity from the perspective of it being received wisdom among the elites. I know we all think that they know austerity is unwise and they're doing it for ideological reasons, but it's the first time I've seen a mainstream publication actually say as much.

From the article; "On both sides of the Atlantic, liberal democracy is on the defensive."

Turns out people want societies which provide a degree of support and security to citizens, and even if they identify the wrong causes for shortfalls therein, if "liberal democracy" turns into "Rand's Wet Dream", it's going to run into problems!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Prince John posted:

Well, in her defence, I'm assuming it's the BBC insisting on using her as a barometer of 'the real England' or some bullshit like that, rather than her picking up the phone and asking for an interview.

I can see the difficulty Labour are having in engaging with people like that though. It's literally impossible to do it without sounding like you're patronising her, because she's wilfully choosing to ignore or take in any actual facts.

Every time I'm reminded of that whole business I get angry. Yes, she was being bigoted. But in this country it's infinitely worse to call someone bigoted than it is for them to actually be bigoted.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's pretty pro-European and Labour are providing a lot of the groundwork to the Reman campaign, but you're right in that it is good for him to sit it out to let the Tories tear themselves to pieces on the national stage.

Septims or gtfo :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

awesome-express posted:

ESTA chat:

I've had 20 flights to the US in the past 2 years and they only finger print you on your first entry. All recurring ESTA flights past that first one allow you to use the Citizen lane and you just scan your passport and get a printed ticket that you then show to a dude who asks you how much cash you're carrying. I always make jokey small talk and the dudes are super chill. I also roll with a Lithuanian passport. It's really simple and is way quicker than passport queues in Britain. I later got an O-1 US visa, which actually takes longer to get through a visa queue than the ESTA lanes, lol. This is the process I've observed at SFO and Boston Logan.

Wait hang on, are you sure about this? You can go through the Citizen line and have an automated scan and just have to say hi to the customs dude? Last time I went to the US was about two years ago and at that point there was no immigration form anymore, they could just call up my ESTA submission online and it was much more convenient because, presumably, by the time I was actually talking to a person over there they had long since decided whether I needed any more questions. I don't even remember if they did print me that time actually, as it wasn't my first visit.

e; Well drat I just went and read up on it, looks like they've made mad progress streamlining the whole deal in the last year or two. Good stuff for once CPB, this was obvious to anyone travelling over there visa-free in the last several years.

Anyway back to how terrible the UK is now!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Small Monster Munch bags are a waste of time but the big 75p ones are packed full of deliciousness so

• Locked thread