Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I kind of liked Maggott as a tween and I feel like he gets kind of a bad rap around the internet. If I remember right, the slugs could eat through anything, so that was kind of a little Matter-Eater Lad schtick, and when they returned to him he'd become a big blue Hulk with Strong Guy hair. As a kid, I liked that his default blue and yellow coat (which Joe Mad drew the heck out of, even with the big goofy gold discs on the arms) matched up with the X-Men color scheme but the specific shades were distinctive and kind of set him apart. I liked his purple pants. In hindsight, I also like that the three X-Men introduced to the team around that time-- Maggot, Marrow and Cecilia Reyes-- fit into classic "new team member" archetypes in ways that played well off each other. Maggott was the cocky, happy-go-lucky young guy with secret self-doubts as well as the strong guy, Marrow was the aloof loose-cannon with a.... with a bone to pick, and Cecilia Reyes was the level-headed person who wanted to go back to a normal life.

I have a big soft spot for the Kelly/Seagal era of the X-Men, and I feel like despite kind of being a non-starter in the long run, it got a lot of things right. Viva Maggot. Also, according to wikipedia he's alive again? I'm proud of him.

I want him to team up with that kid from Fallen Angels with the two cyborg lobsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Meanwhile, at Synch's funeral...

Which is spread across Massachusetts...

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this might be a weird question but there was a panel someone posted somewhere where a robot convinced a superhero whose power was to use various spectrums of light to kill himself (with violet light???) and i think he was talking through a wall because the superhero in question had sealed himself away.

for some reason i am really wondering what that comic was.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Foul Fowl posted:

this might be a weird question but there was a panel someone posted somewhere where a robot convinced a superhero whose power was to use various spectrums of light to kill himself (with violet light???) and i think he was talking through a wall because the superhero in question had sealed himself away.

for some reason i am really wondering what that comic was.

Alan Moore's Top Ten, I think.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Archyduke posted:

I kind of liked Maggott as a tween and I feel like he gets kind of a bad rap around the internet. If I remember right, the slugs could eat through anything, so that was kind of a little Matter-Eater Lad schtick, and when they returned to him he'd become a big blue Hulk with Strong Guy hair. As a kid, I liked that his default blue and yellow coat (which Joe Mad drew the heck out of, even with the big goofy gold discs on the arms) matched up with the X-Men color scheme but the specific shades were distinctive and kind of set him apart. I liked his purple pants. In hindsight, I also like that the three X-Men introduced to the team around that time-- Maggot, Marrow and Cecilia Reyes-- fit into classic "new team member" archetypes in ways that played well off each other. Maggott was the cocky, happy-go-lucky young guy with secret self-doubts as well as the strong guy, Marrow was the aloof loose-cannon with a.... with a bone to pick, and Cecilia Reyes was the level-headed person who wanted to go back to a normal life.

I have a big soft spot for the Kelly/Seagal era of the X-Men, and I feel like despite kind of being a non-starter in the long run, it got a lot of things right. Viva Maggot. Also, according to wikipedia he's alive again? I'm proud of him.

I want him to team up with that kid from Fallen Angels with the two cyborg lobsters.

Yeah, this is a good post. I really have a soft spot for Maggott because a) I was a huuuuuge Madureira fan in those days (it feels like everyone was) and b) I was just so happy there was finally a mutant whose power was something more interesting than "lasers come out of part of his body." (You say "stupid," I say "interesting.")

Despite getting cut short by editorial interference, there's a lot of stuff to love in the Kelly/Seagle era of X-Men. There's an issue where Marrow and Wolverine fight that I have particularly fond memories of.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Full disclosure: I like the X-Men a lot, especially the ones with the weirder mutations. Eye lazers is pretty straightforward, Wolverine isn't really complicated he just has a giant list of mutations, but guys like Maggot are cool cause they have a power that seems useless, can be really useful if used creatively, and just have a lot of weirdness to how they work.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Generation X kids were created and written by Scott Lobdell for years and somehow things were worse for them afterwards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrProsek posted:

Full disclosure: I like the X-Men a lot, especially the ones with the weirder mutations. Eye lazers is pretty straightforward, Wolverine isn't really complicated he just has a giant list of mutations, but guys like Maggot are cool cause they have a power that seems useless, can be really useful if used creatively, and just have a lot of weirdness to how they work.

Wolverine technically only has the 1 mutation. He has the dumb mutant wolf-like offshoot mutation.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I remember Maggott eating a bomb that was in Cyclops's chest. I think he could've been like Matter Eater Lad for the X-Men.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

Have you read Morrison's New X-Men?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aphrodite posted:

Wolverine technically only has the 1 mutation. He has the dumb mutant wolf-like offshoot mutation.
I liked it even better in Earth X where it's revealed that he's not even a mutant - he's just a pure human while everyone else was hosed up by Celestial egg junk and corrupted.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I'm finally trying to make a dent in my huge loving stack of comic books I buy compulsively but then never read. I just got caught up with Rat Queens and Oh My God, why can't the Transgender Orc get her own solo series? I would so read that to death.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Alan Moore's Top Ten, I think.

I think that's right, thanks!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I feel like Rat Queens totally lost its plot with that last arc. Nothing made any sense or had anything to do with anything that had happened before.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like Rat Queens totally lost its plot with that last arc. Nothing made any sense or had anything to do with anything that had happened before.

Admittedly it's been a bit since I read the last two books. Your kind of right though, the latest trade is a brand new story line where were off to Hogwarts.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read Morrison's New X-Men?

:v: I've read a bit of it once and I've been meaning to get back to it, but my backlog of books I own is huge and I heavily suspect once I start reading Morrison's NXM I'll probably fall even more behind reading the physical books I own but haven't read yet.

Aphrodite posted:

I'd say he technically still has 2 because I don't see how regenerating fits in with being a wolf, but for everything else it's fair to say it falls under "being a wolf-man" in comics-logic. A wolf with three retractable miniswords that come out of his hands.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

His dad wasn't a mutant and he looked like a wolfman too, so that might not be a mutation.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

I think that's right, thanks!

Chiming in to say that it is definitely Top Ten. It is in one of the last issues of the original series.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

As much as I hate to say it I think Rat Queens kind of went downhill when they fired the artist for being an abusive jerk. After that it just felt somewhat meandering. I hope it gets better with the new status quo/arc but the last arc was poo poo.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah. whether it's coincidence or whether that artist was involved in the writing/plotting side of things, their departure is about the time the book ran out of plot and it just kinda fucks around like it's stalling for time. Rat Queens is going on haiatus and it definitely needs it, although I'm like 70% sure it won't come back :ohdear:.

Lurdiak posted:

His dad wasn't a mutant and he looked like a wolfman too, so that might not be a mutation.

He was born in rural Alberta, if you told me mutated wolf-men with bone swords growing out of their hands were common there I'd believe you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They should just go with Braga for a bit while trying to figure out the main book. :3:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm reading War of Kings right now and basically Havok is everything Cyclops wants to be, in that he's a conflicted leader who tries really really hard to do the right thing but suffers under the stress of leadership and his own issues with inferiority.

Unlike Cyclops he isn't an annoying Nice Guy turd who can't shut the gently caress up about That Girl He Likes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

As much as I hate to say it I think Rat Queens kind of went downhill when they fired the artist for being an abusive jerk. After that it just felt somewhat meandering. I hope it gets better with the new status quo/arc but the last arc was poo poo.
Naw, I was gonna say it too, although I was going to make a joke about how I will totally forgive that dude for whatever he did, I don't care, just come back and fix poo poo.

Either he was co-plotting or the weird delays and constant artist shifts really hosed things up behind the scenes or something, because that was absolutely when things went off the rails.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He apparently stalked and beat the poo poo out of his ex-wife, so uh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not sure why anyone would bring up Adam X THE X-TREME when talking about back characters....

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I finally got around to watching Ant-Man and was pretty impressed. It's funny and clever, and if you hadn't heard of the production difficulties you wouldn't know.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toxxupation posted:

I'm reading War of Kings right now and basically Havok is everything Cyclops wants to be, in that he's a conflicted leader who tries really really hard to do the right thing but suffers under the stress of leadership and his own issues with inferiority.

Unlike Cyclops he isn't an annoying Nice Guy turd who can't shut the gently caress up about That Girl He Likes.

Havok is the ultimate no one cares about him because he is a lame clone of his brother yeah.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vulcan is the best worst Summers Bro

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The only Summers that aren't garbage are Rachel and Hope.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rachel and who?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
At least no one pretends to care about Vulcan. People have been trying to make Havok a thing sine the 80s.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You know I think the time is right for yet another Guthrie sibling.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rachel gave birth to the shittiest Richards, so she's garbage by association.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder what i missed out on anyway...

quote:

She decided to rejoin the X-Men, taking the name "Marvel Girl" to honor her mother (who had recently died yet again) and wearing a costume her mother had designed but never worn; a variation on Jean's first green costume. She also changed her last name to "Grey", possibly to express disapproval at her father's betrayal of Jean, as well as his continuing relationship with Emma Frost;[19] though she and Emma made a truce of sorts during one of the team's missions in Hong Kong. Rachel and Nightcrawler began to have an attraction towards each other, kissing at one point,[20] but nothing came of it as Nightcrawler also had an attraction to Storm at the time, who was in somewhat of a romantic "friendship" with Wolverine.[20][21][22]

.gif of brain checking out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrProsek posted:

Poor Hope, literally taken out of the X-books because she looked too much like young Jean. Unless they get rid on the ANXM, I don't think she'll ever be seen again.

Ghostlight posted:

Rachel gave birth to the shittiest Richards, so she's garbage by association.

Whats up Exiles-reading buddy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrProsek posted:

Hope isn't actually related to anybody though, right? Didn't she only take the name because Cable adopted her?

Speaking of, that solo series with Cable raising Hope was pretty good. Cable's time machine gets broken in like the first issue and so he ends up only being able to travel forward in time which helped to give a story about time travel some stakes. Also they had to contend with a time crazy Bishop who was constantly doing stuff in the past to try and stop them. Like at one point he was setting up bombs to explode in the future that would render large swaths of land uninhabitable to try and narrow down Cable's choices of where to go. Bishop's motivation was also kind of interesting because he viewed everything that was going on as part of an alternate timeline that his actions would ultimately erase, so he was willing to do anything to win.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Hope isn't actually related to anybody though, right? Didn't she only take the name because Cable adopted her?

Speaking of, that solo series with Cable raising Hope was pretty good. Cable's time machine gets broken in like the first issue and so he ends up only being able to travel forward in time which helped to give a story about time travel some stakes. Also they had to contend with a time crazy Bishop who was constantly doing stuff in the past to try and stop them. Like at one point he was setting up bombs to explode in the future that would render large swaths of land uninhabitable to try and narrow down Cable's choices of where to go. Bishop's motivation was also kind of interesting because he viewed everything that was going on as part of an alternate timeline that his actions would ultimately erase, so he was willing to do anything to win.

She was totally supposed to be Jean reborn, but yeah she's not one of them by blood.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

At least no one pretends to care about Vulcan. People have been trying to make Havok a thing sine the 80s.

He was pretty great in X-Factor.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bobkatt013 posted:

He was pretty great in X-Factor.

He was still living in his brothers shadow, dating a woman who would eventually turn evil and try to kill everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

He was still living in his brothers shadow, dating a woman who would eventually turn evil and try to kill everyone.

All of that made him a pretty interesting character. David had such a great take on all the X-Factor characters that he managed to take a nothing character like Havok and make him a somewhat complex character.

• Locked thread