Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Born To Die
Drangleic is a gently caress
126,103,169 dead blue cops

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've been waiting to post a "Sturm und Drangleic" joke for years and you don't even finish one on video. Shame on you.

e: A game based on Dead Souls could be pretty interesting.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 3, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I'm so sorry you got turbo spoiled on some things Geop. Souls fans literally have no restraint.

Ni-Oh LP when?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
"Oh I'll fool you no longer. You'll lose your puns, all of them, over and over again"
\

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Domnhall and the Crestfallen Warrior were both pretty Welsh on account of being played by the same guy, Matt Morgan. Same as Crestfallen Saulden in this video too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

This scene made the long day melt away.

Had to butcher it pretty hard to make it small enough to post and loop..ish.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

And so begins Goonther's quest to find furniture for his new free house.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

Sinners Sandwich posted:

*See's three old ladies and a caretaker*
Squint: Y'no it's the classic witch trio of maid, matron and crone...

I'm not letting that one slide

Artistic license keeps interpretations fresh!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I didn't butcher it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So that's at least twice that they've decided that a "difficult" bit should just be "eh throw ten dudes at 'em at once?" That is like the laziest thing, jeez.

The exploding barrel was a clever trap. It also happening to be a monster closet was just boring and eye-rolly. It's not even something that seems like it would really be hard to deal with considering they had an invisible wall those guys apparently couldn't cross a few feet out of the tiny room making it presumably really easy to pick 'em all off with minimal effort so I don't even get the point. I was under the impression from the rapid durability thing and each game rewarding more aggressive play than the last that you weren't expected to be doing DS2 hyper-defensively and yet this tactic of "difficulty" seems to exist solely to reward that and just be a lazy "THIS IS A HARD BIT!!" indicator without actually earning it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I'm hoping they go over some of the stat changes when Geop levels. This have becomes significantly less fun otherwise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing about the Way of Blue is that you get devotion for every invader that gets defeated, and that includes NPC invaders. You only need to defeat 10 invaders to max out your devotion, so it's really easy to do so on your first play through. That said, the rewards aren't very good.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like that the Scottish Dude's dilemma was basically that he saw a statue that he found too creepy on the path he was travelling. Though apparently he didn't feel the same way about the gang of gross testicle goblins.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dragonatrix posted:

So that's at least twice that they've decided that a "difficult" bit should just be "eh throw ten dudes at 'em at once?" That is like the laziest thing, jeez.

The exploding barrel was a clever trap. It also happening to be a monster closet was just boring and eye-rolly. It's not even something that seems like it would really be hard to deal with considering they had an invisible wall those guys apparently couldn't cross a few feet out of the tiny room making it presumably really easy to pick 'em all off with minimal effort so I don't even get the point. I was under the impression from the rapid durability thing and each game rewarding more aggressive play than the last that you weren't expected to be doing DS2 hyper-defensively and yet this tactic of "difficulty" seems to exist solely to reward that and just be a lazy "THIS IS A HARD BIT!!" indicator without actually earning it.

It was really just meant to be a thing to trick returning players thinking they ambushed you after opening the door. The player can open the doors themselves and fight each of the Gnosis Golem solo. As for playing hyper defensively, have to say that's my playstyle so I can't say it's fair or not.

This isn't much different than the Skeletons in DS1

Also just to note, The orginal Dark Souls 2 had the same number of enemies in that section

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Dragonatrix posted:

As much as I really hate to defend this game, the guys don't aggro to you until you open the gate OR blow those barrels up. With a little foreknowledge you're not gonna be completely outmanned like that. It's still garbage but I feel like a lot of people pile on Scholar too much when vanilla DS2 isn't actually any better.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I did feel like the first hour or two of the game, DS2 was really interested in rattling DS1 players' expectations. That and some graphical disappointments really put me off for a while. But having come back to it, I'm glad I kept going, the game still has most of what made DS1 fun, and some good additions.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You can pretty much just say, more generally, that Dark Souls 2 or Scholars rarely forces you to fight multiple guys at once. The number of times it does is equal to the number of times Demon's or Dark Souls did at worst. On the other hand, the number of nasty situations you can potentially get yourself into if you're not careful is way higher to not even be comparable.

For instance, you might get three guys rushing you but realistically speaking you should be able to kill #1 before #2 reaches and kill him before #3 is an issue. But, if you fail to do so or you hesitate then yeah you'll have yourself a problem. You'd get that situation in Dark Souls, like with rats or dogs at various points or in the sewer area more generally, but I'd say most areas of Dark Souls 2/Scholars have a section like that. There are also more ambushes even if they can be avoided or diluted.

Don't really have much of an opinion on this in a big picture sort of way. I don't mind that type of difficulty, but perhaps it's over-utilized in comparison to the previous titles? And ambush stuff kind of rings hollow after a first playthrough anyway or, in this series, after you've played any one of the games you'll probably instantly spot and halt the ambush in all others anyway.

Decus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 4, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

How could anyone feel bad about graphic downgrades when you're on the sun baked cliffs of Majula :swoon:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That barrel tricked me!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I went to Geop's channel looking to relive the good old DS1 LP while I struggle with DS3 (Skeletons! :argh:) and then I stumbled upon this.

What I've been wishing for has finally come true. Bless you Geop, bless you.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Monkey's Claw though when Geop deletes the videos and changes the thread tag to a Binding of Issac lp

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dragonatrix posted:

I was under the impression from the rapid durability thing and each game rewarding more aggressive play than the last that you weren't expected to be doing DS2 hyper-defensively and yet this tactic of "difficulty" seems to exist solely to reward that and just be a lazy "THIS IS A HARD BIT!!" indicator without actually earning it.

I'd argue that DS2 rewards aggression more than 1 precisely because it tosses more dudes at you (as does 3). Very rarely do multiple enemies actually come at you simultaneously and unpredictably in 2 -- there are a couple of notable exceptions -- instead they're either placed so you can ambush their group or they trickle in. If you're an offensively oriented build you can smash the first guy before the second reaches you and their numbers don't matter as much; if you're defensive you get surrounded, run out of stamina and get whittled down. In the case of this ambush: two guys open doors, then more guys drop down from the upper level. If you know what's going to happen or notice the doors opening and charge then you can (if not wielding a rusty broken sword) thin them down early and make the fight simpler. If you put your shield up and wait in the middle of the room, you get wrecked.

I'm saying that as someone who played very defensively in DS1 (and is currently doing so in 3). In DS2 I think that a combination of attack patterns I could more easily read and poise damage being really strong made smashing things with the biggest stick I can find the easiest way to approach most situations. Some bosses and areas are exceptions but overall I think it's the Dark Souls where hiding behind your shield is the weakest.

One caveat: you do need to get the secondary agility stat up some for your dodge to be reliable in DS2, which is not exactly intuitive, even by the standards of the dark souls stat systems.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wow, what a pretty game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah no matter its faults there's some really great looking parts to the game.

There's also parts that look like turds but oh well.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

SynthOrange posted:

Majula is the Taj Mahal, and some of the next areas are the sewage river next to it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah. DS2 in general I'd say has the greatest variance in quality of any Souls/Borne game. Some real high highs (though nothing rivaling my favorite moments from DS3), but some real downers, too. Though nothing as hilariously bad as Bed of Chaos, IMO. Goes for art design and more mechanical stuff as well

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

all blue sentinels are bastards

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I enjoyed Goonther's romp through Lordron, and I look forward to seeing how he fares in Drangleic. Thanks in advance for the entertainment, Geop.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

all blue sentinels are bastards

The guilty pay the price.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Reds are the real heroes for going through the effort of actually invading people.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I wish Way of Blue/Blue Sentinels actually functioned, because throwing more opposing factions into the mix makes Dark Souls PVP even more of a complete clusterfuck, just as it should be

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The varying visual quality is probably due to some areas relying more on the lighting system they ripped out late in development than others.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. DS2 in general I'd say has the greatest variance in quality of any Souls/Borne game. Some real high highs (though nothing rivaling my favorite moments from DS3), but some real downers, too. Though nothing as hilariously bad as Bed of Chaos, IMO. Goes for art design and more mechanical stuff as well

Huh. I thought the exact opposite - I haven't played through DS3 yet but my biggest takeaway from DS2 after playing it was that it was way more consistent than DS1 - no highs as high as the first half of DS1 but no clearly unfinished garbage like the second half. Just kind of a flat "this is fine".

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Xerophyte posted:

I'd argue that DS2 rewards aggression more than 1 precisely because it tosses more dudes at you (as does 3). Very rarely do multiple enemies actually come at you simultaneously and unpredictably in 2 -- there are a couple of notable exceptions -- instead they're either placed so you can ambush their group or they trickle in. If you're an offensively oriented build you can smash the first guy before the second reaches you and their numbers don't matter as much; if you're defensive you get surrounded, run out of stamina and get whittled down. In the case of this ambush: two guys open doors, then more guys drop down from the upper level. If you know what's going to happen or notice the doors opening and charge then you can (if not wielding a rusty broken sword) thin them down early and make the fight simpler. If you put your shield up and wait in the middle of the room, you get wrecked.

It really is worth noting that those guys are not actually scary enemies once you've got a few levels in you and have an actual (hopefully upgraded) weapon. They don't hit all that hard and they don't have a huge amount of health. It's a trap that's kind of expected to get you the first time, but once you know the expect them you won't be standing in the wrong place and get surrounded. If you end up there at what I think is the intended time, they're barely more scary than any other angry hollow, and can be cut down easily, especially if you take the initiative and don't let them get together and start the leapfrogging thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know. There's obviously no excusing Bed of Chaos's design but the thing is loving gorgeous and 2 really has nothing to rival it in that. It's got some pretty vistas but the breathtaking visuals of stuff like Anor Londo, Crystal Caves, Bed of Chaos, gently caress, even Gaping Dragon's giant cistern fight - just not there. DS1 at its best is jawdropping, DS2 at its best is pretty (and usually does nothing with the visually interesting areas, as we shall see pretty soon).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know. There's obviously no excusing Bed of Chaos's design but the thing is loving gorgeous and 2 really has nothing to rival it in that. It's got some pretty vistas but the breathtaking visuals of stuff like Anor Londo, Crystal Caves, Bed of Chaos, gently caress, even Gaping Dragon's giant cistern fight - just not there. DS1 at its best is jawdropping, DS2 at its best is pretty (and usually does nothing with the visually interesting areas, as we shall see pretty soon).

Nah, I'd completely disagree on that. There were more moments in this game where I saw the skyline, or the face of a new area I had walked into, and swore out loud because of how dang pretty/impressive it is. One of the game's greatest strengths that really puts it over the top is its visual design and art direction. Things Betwixt on its own puts 80% of DS1 to shame. It feels like falling into the depths of Ash Lake, only to find a giant crack in your surroundings, a beacon of perfectly framed light spilling out to call you into a land that you can't quite tell is even geographically attached to where you are, or if you slipping through this fissure is even more metaphorical than it at first seems.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Post anor londo is the worst half of a souls game. Not saying it's terrible but it's a major slog in comparison to the first half.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

This is a pattern early on in Scholar of the First Sin. The exploding barrel and group of enemies is in the vanilla version (and to be fair, Geop isn't "supposed" to go that way yet and it's much easier when you're equipped for it), but there are some upcoming places where SotFS puts you in some very annoying multi-enemy situations when the vanilla version didn't. It gets better later on, though, with one glaring mid-game exception.

thecluckmeme posted:

Nah, I'd completely disagree on that. There were more moments in this game where I saw the skyline, or the face of a new area I had walked into, and swore out loud because of how dang pretty/impressive it is. One of the game's greatest strengths that really puts it over the top is its visual design and art direction. Things Betwixt on its own puts 80% of DS1 to shame. It feels like falling into the depths of Ash Lake, only to find a giant crack in your surroundings, a beacon of perfectly framed light spilling out to call you into a land that you can't quite tell is even geographically attached to where you are, or if you slipping through this fissure is even more metaphorical than it at first seems.

A good part of what made Ash Lake work was that it was unexpected and very well-hidden. It's the kind of place that shouldn't be there. And it has background music--one of only four non-boss situations in which there is music (the others are Firelink Shrine, near the Fair Lady, and Gwynevere's room). It's awesome because it's shocking and bleakly beautiful and so very different.

Things Betwixt doesn't really have that, because it's the opening area. It's cool-looking, but not as beautiful as Ash Lake, both in visual design and in all the context around it.

Majula, on the other hand, is really pretty, and arriving there for the first time feels very... warm, I think. The music helps. I really like the Majula music.

My favorite "holy poo poo" moments on arriving to a new area in the Souls series are Anor Londo and Ash Lake in DS1 and one spot in DS3.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 4, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I feel like we should all resurrect the SA password for DS2 and play along with Geop. Get some jolly co-op/rat bastardry going on.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
DS2 doesn't have passwords, does it? You'd have to pick a god using that one ring to do that I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HMS Boromir posted:

DS2 doesn't have passwords, does it? You'd have to pick a god using that one ring to do that I think.
Yup, Kremmel 4 lyfe. But after a successful summon, both of you can remove the ring again, so you don't permanently waste a ring slot.

• Locked thread