Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Royals have lost 5 games in a row to bad teams! There's something for everyone to be happy about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sanoooooooooooooooo

http://m.mlb.com/video/v647155583/

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

At least tickets might get cheaper?

Funniest joke in this thread in years.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

We've already had Schwarber, Montero, and now Szczur on the DL and we're 4 days into May. I just hope this doesn't continue.

The average team has about 15 DL visits per year, this is not unusual in the slightest.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Not a safe assumption, since they tried to suspend him last year and it was eventually reduced to 30 days.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Wes Ferrell is the most recent pitcher I know of who was actually good at hitting (.797 OPS). He started 13 games in the outfield one year, and then never played in the field again, although he did pinch hit a lot. And it wasn't because his teams had particularly good hitters on them.

Bob Lemon also only ever played a few games in the field. Don Newcombe never did. Neither did Mike Hampton. None of those guys had the chance to DH, but they weren't really good enough that they would have got the chance anyway. Man, pitchers really suck.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

Good lord, the Cubs' Pythagorean W/L is 22-4.

The entire team allowing a .250 babip is going to have that effect, yes.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

California Angels of Los Angeles of Anaheim
2026 Salaries
Mike Trout: $120,000,000
The Rest: $9.99

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Hey, I'm 5'6" too. :mad:

...but then I am pretty small.

Good news, you're much taller than Altuve.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Support Dubs, not Cubs

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Bryce Harper today becomes the first player ever to go 0-0 and reach base 7 times. Over the last 4 games his OBP has gone from .372 to .432

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 8, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

saintonan posted:

Harper's gonna break every single season walk record there is.

Well, he has 7 intentional walks, so he only needs 114 more.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

bewbies posted:

So if you have a player who you anticipate will OPS above 1.000 is it going to be normally preferable to IBB them almost regardless of situation?

Not close. Even if it's a historically great player, you still have a better than 50% chance of getting them out. It's good to get outs.
If he had a SLG above 1.000 - that is, he's averaging more than one base per time at bat - then you could make the argument.

Bill James actually tested this years ago, let me see if I can look it up.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Just realized that I really want a player to transcend bat flips and just do a mic drop with the bat after hitting a dinger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQeJ8YQuqh8

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Such as.....?

Their best player, Huston Street.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Since teams began to egregiously walk Harper, he only has 1 hit. Has the lack of good pitches caused him to forget how to hit? Seems likely.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I am still confused by this call. According to the rule, it seems like a clear cut example of not sliding into the base.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63817564/v680283983/detwsh-tigers-take-the-lead-after-call-confirmed/?query=gose

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Speaking of the Red Sox, they're being investigated by MLB for doing some shady poo poo in Venezuela

And as always, MLB's investigation has been conducted legally and tactfully

quote:

The players, most of whom are still 16 or 17 years old, did not have their parents or any representation with them. According to multiple sources, MLB officials told the players that if they lied, the commissioner’s office would suspend them. They asked the players to give them their banking information and said they would investigate their bank accounts, according to those sources. Some of the players broke down in tears.

“They put a lot of pressure on them, like they were criminals,” said one source. “They’re trying to put pressure on the kids to talk to them.”

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If this was a real offer you would have to have literal brain damage not to do that if you are the Cubs

It would be worth it just to get that bum Heyward out of the lineup.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Max Scherzer just put together a VERY nice tribute to Kerry Wood (albeit while giving up a couple of runs).

He gave up a home run to Jose Iglesias, that's like -5 strikeouts right there.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

Max is the loving man. Had to be Iglesias to hit the homer though, lmao.

He came a few feet from giving up 3 homers! Although if Upton's was 10 feet to the left where the wall is lower, the Tigers would have had the lead and Scherzer might not have even made it to the 8th inning.

I'm guessing that falls under the same rule as "every no-hitter must have at least one ball that would have been a hit but for a crazy defensive play."

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 12, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I found this game, but for some reason they took him out before he could get the no-hitter.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Steve Barber wasn't able to get his complete-game no-hitter because he walked 10 guys, got yanked with 2 outs in the 9th, and then they made an error on a ground ball to give up the go-ahead run.

http://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/april-30-1967-steve-barber-and-stu-miller-combine-no-hitter-loss

And it was Mark Belanger who made the error! He just dropped the throw to second base!

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 12, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

tinstaach posted:

Kinsler's HBP was righty-on-righty though, so you have to wonder what the hell he thought he was swinging at.

It was a 2 seam fastball that had about a foot of break, it was crazy.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

saintonan posted:

That's actually pretty amazing. ERA under 1, WHIP of .825 and he still lost three times.

The 60s were a hell of a time.

In 1966, the Dodgers scored a run in the second inning of Game 1. They scored another run in the third inning. They would score no more runs in the series. They slugged .192.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

isn't this supposed to like absolutely be an out? he had his entire body over the base...i don't get the new rules though

The catcher cannot stand in the basepath unless he
a) has the ball
b) is catching the ball

Since the throw landed right in the basepath, the catcher is entitled to stand there.
The runner, I guess, is allowed to plow over him as long as he doesn't go out of his way to seek out and destroy the catcher.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 15, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Right now, teams are pitching around Harper like crazy even though he's only batting .242 in May. That kind of fear is worth a lot.

Personally I would be worried about which one is more likely to have a career-ending injury.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

28-year-old Uptons, dude.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Texas and Toronto are doing it again after Bautista went in with a hard slide at second base.

https://twitter.com/Phylan/status/731975963609829378

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm always sad that there's no video of the time Farnsworth hit Jeremy Affeldt with a huge double leg slam.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Matt Bush was in prison when the bat flip happened.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Dock Ellis (of no-hitter while on LSD fame) once started a game with the intent to hit every batter in the opposing lineup (I think it was Cincinnati). He hit the first 3 guys, the cleanup hitter managed to dodge 4 attempts and drew a walk, and then Ellis was taken out of the game. I don't know if there's video of this but I have to imagine it'd be hilarious.

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/eleven-pitches-three-hit-batters-the-day-dock-ellis-w-1695974523

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/cooperlund/status/732372833431654404

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Didn't Nathan have surgery around this time last year? At age 41 he probably won't be ready to pitch for a while anyway.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Joe Nathan not only had a 100% save conversion rate last year, he also struck out 100% of the batters he faced. Big bargain for the Cubs

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Braves are an amazing organization

quote:

Finding out you’ve been fired is never easy, but imagine finding out the way that Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez did late Monday.

An hour or so after the Braves’ 8-5 series-opening loss to the Pirates, a person familiar with the situation said Gonzalez received an email notifying him of his scheduled flight to Atlanta on Tuesday afternoon.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Steve Delabar today became possibly the first pitcher ever to walk 4 batters in a row with the bases loaded.

The bottom tier of the NL is such rancid garbage.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I haven't seen any highlights or anything tonight and can't look, also I know zip about the Reds, but why would you leave the guy in there after say, the second run walked in?

Well, he did get a 3-2 count on all 4 batters, so he wasn't totally wild. But there were 2 outs and you're already losing by a billion runs. Just let them put it in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

BasicFunk posted:

Maybe I'm losing my mind, but the Braves don't look quite as awful as I expected at this point. I mean, they're still hot trash, but the dumpster is only smoldering.

Again, this might be the multiple concussions talking.

Let's compare! Should be interesting.

code:
    '16 Braves          '03 Tigers
       10-29    Record      9-30
        126      Runs       114
       .235       AVG      .209
       .298       OBP      .280
       .316       SLG      .307
        14        HR        25

194    R Allowed    190
       4.61       ERA      4.41
       7.75       K/9      4.87
       3.48      BB/9      3.37
Sadly, the Braves do not have Nate Cornejo in their rotation.

quote:

Prior to being called up the Tigers, Cornejo was considered to be the Tigers best prospect and was among the top 100 prospects in baseball.

In his lone full season with Detroit in 2003, Cornejo finished the season with a 6-17 record. He had the lowest strikeout rate of any starting pitcher in over 20 years, striking out just 2.1 K/9 batters in 194.2 innings.

• Locked thread