Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tobermory posted:

We're well on track to maximum chaos. Fresh from Arizona:

So it sounds like Cruz is managing to pack the delegates with his supporters, despite losing in the popular vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/us/politics/ted-cruz-delegate-count.html

tl/dr a bunch of delegates who Cruz has been wooing starting to have second thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Everyone in the thread having the same avatar does make it easier to swallow these threads just rehashing the same arguments over and over again, month after month.

Save us, Joementum. You're our only hope.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

AmiYumi posted:

Everyone in the thread having the same avatar does make it easier to swallow these threads just rehashing the same arguments over and over again, month after month.

It's always distressing when the hive mind argues with itself

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AmiYumi posted:

If I were sure it was some GBS mogul rather than mod poo poo that might get reverted, I'd buy another av, but for now I just have them turned off.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If it bothers you so much, why are you contributing?

What do people think about Cruz's plan? Does he have a chance of reaching the delegate count before the convention, or is this just more drama from the clowns?

This is Ted 'Debate Team' Cruz. There is no law mandating or penalty for electors not voting for the person they are pledged for. He is sneaking his people in, and they are pledged for Donald. They'll just vote for Ted on the first ballot because you can't stop them.

At which point Ted becomes a first ballot nominee, and Donald throws the poo poo-fittiest fit.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Watching Wilmore's bit from the WHCD and wow talk about a hostile audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IDFt3BL7FA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In all these states where Cruz is rules lawyering his way to delegates, those delegates are still bound to Trump on the first ballot? Or is it possible that Cleveland is going to burn to the ground after none of them vote for Trump like they're supposed to.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

In all these states where Cruz is rules lawyering his way to delegates, those delegates are still bound to Trump on the first ballot? Or is it possible that Cleveland is going to burn to the ground after none of them vote for Trump like they're supposed to.

Bound to him on the first ballot, unless there is a crazy rules change. That's why everything Cruz is doing with the delegates doesn't mean poo poo if Trump wins on the first ballot

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

You forgot about the perfectly pistol-sized glove compartment

Unless you can and do lock it, a glove compartment isn't any more secure than under the seat. I remember finding my dad's pistol in the glove compartment as a child, but not being a toddler whose brain development is at learning to understand simple commands, I left it alone.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

Unless you can and do lock it, a glove compartment isn't any more secure than under the seat. I remember finding my dad's pistol in the glove compartment as a child, but not being a toddler whose brain development is at learning to understand simple commands, I left it alone.

It's incredibly secure against a child in the back seat

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Everything that has happened in politics this year was worth it if it led to this.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
:golfclap:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Bound to him on the first ballot, unless there is a crazy rules change. That's why everything Cruz is doing with the delegates doesn't mean poo poo if Trump wins on the first ballot

Is it possible that they could simply just not vote Trump on the first ballot? What happens if they just vote Cruz anyways?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Why even bother voting in the first round if delegates are already bound? Just count 'em up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Academician Nomad posted:

Meanwhile, the collapse of the GOP has led to hard decisions for everyone's favorite group: College Republicans

http://chronicle.com/article/How-Young-Republicans-on-One/236258

quote:

The club — the first of its kind in the nation, they say — is founded on simple principles: conservative economic policies, and a willingness to concede the fight over social issues, in hopes of re-energizing the party and attracting more diverse people to vote Republican.

Isn't that called "libertarianism?"
As in "Hey wealthy LGBT people, we can all gently caress over the poor together"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I don't get it. :saddowns:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

Watching Wilmore's bit from the WHCD and wow talk about a hostile audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IDFt3BL7FA

Of course its a hostile audience, there are three rules:

1. If the joke is against someone on your side, groan.
2. If the joke is against someone on the other side, belly laugh.
3. If the joke is against you, grin glassly eyed until you think the cameras are not watching.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Doomtalker posted:

It's incredibly secure against a child in the back seat

That was the point? Kids do figure out how to get out of car seats, so why wouldn't you take the extra step of putting the gun in a different compartment of the car just in case? Because you're a moron who thinks guns are toys as much as your child does.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hint: the gun is by the kid in the backseat because that way in their head, they get carjacked and say, "okay yes but let me get my kid first" and then they grab the gun instead and BLOW THEM AWAY!!!!!!

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

there wolf posted:

That was the point? Kids do figure out how to get out of car seats, so why wouldn't you take the extra step of putting the gun in a different compartment of the car just in case? Because you're a moron who thinks guns are toys as much as your child does.

My partner and I purchased a firearm a number of years ago for home defense. We've never had to use it - hopefully never will. As time goes on though, I find myself more okay with wishing I had never bought it - or that it never existed to be bought in the first place. Reason being all the news blips that random guy/girl/child/baby ends up getting killed because of some dumb that should have never happened. I've always thought maybe I just have my empathy meter out of whack because I find myself caring and feeling super bad for these people I have never met, never will - but I can only imagine what it would be like to lose someone so precious in that manner. We also don't have a child, so there's that, too

That Yoda avatar is legit disturbing.

Sunset fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 2, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I masturbate to Death Wish 3 and I vote.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's not just an avatar, it's a way of life

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Hint: the gun is by the kid in the backseat because that way in their head, they get carjacked and say, "okay yes but let me get my kid first" and then they grab the gun instead and BLOW THEM AWAY!!!!!!

Even dumber than that: They stuck it under the seat and it slid back from the motion of the car and wound up by the kid, who was able to grab it because they weren't belted in.

Edit: Yodatar rules. Haters swerve!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

It's not just an avatar, it's a way of life

- Ted Cruz

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Sunset posted:

My partner and I purchased a firearm a number of years ago for home defense. We've never had to use it - hopefully never will. As time goes on though, I find myself more okay with wishing I had never bought it - or that it never existed to be bought in the first place. Reason being all the news blips that random guy/girl/child/baby ends up getting killed because of some dumb that should have never happened. I've always thought maybe I just have my empathy meter out of whack because I find myself caring and feeling super bad for these people I have never met, never will - but I can only imagine what it would be like to lose someone so precious in that manner. We also don't have a child, so there's that, too

That Yoda avatar is legit disturbing.

You know you can sell it/get rid of it somehow.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Apparently I won the lottery too. I'm guessing it has to do with supporting Bernie at one time.

It is great that nearly 5 people each month have died due to children and firearms this year.

Edit: nope not that. I'm glad to have it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I feel bad for the kids when they realize the gravity of what happened.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't care what anyone says. Jokes about Ted Cruz being the Zodiac Killer are always funny.

Now I want to see someone spread a rumor that Donald Trump really was the Son of Sam.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
so what brought these avs upon us?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

so what brought these avs upon us?

It's the Mark of Cain, for the transgressions of posting about US politics.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

Apparently I won the lottery too. I'm guessing it has to do with supporting Bernie at one time.

THEN I HAVE BEEN INCORRECTLY MARKED GODDAMNIT

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

RuanGacho posted:

It's the Mark of Cain, for the transgressions of posting about US politics.

So now the thread may never be harmed by mortal means, lest it be brought upon the inflicter sevenfold?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/726948590673887232

Um...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

What's the penalty if they don't vote for the person they're bound to? I don't think there is one.
Cruz fights that way, you've noticed. On the forensics debate points level of rear end in a top hat. He fucks it up a lot, but it's an incredibly Cruz-like thing to do.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2016

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Warcabbit posted:

What's the penalty if they don't vote for the person they're bound to? I don't think there is one.
Cruz fights that way, you've noticed. On the forensics debate points level of rear end in a top hat. He fucks it up a lot, but it's an incredibly Cruz-like thing to do.l

yeah this is what it looks to me like cruz is planning, and it will certainly pave the way for the Trump Party to beat the elephants, if not the asses

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Warcabbit posted:

Cruz fights that way, you've noticed. On the forensics debate points level of rear end in a top hat. He fucks it up a lot, but it's an incredibly Cruz-like thing to do.

It depends on what the party rules are. I think some states have their own laws for the electoral college binding electors but I don't know if that's the case for the primary process.

E: hah no Yoda rape avatar

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

THEN I HAVE BEEN INCORRECTLY MARKED GODDAMNIT

GAZE YE UPON YOUR AVATAR TEXT AND THIS VERY THREAD YOU ARE POSTING IN

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

GAZE YE UPON YOUR AVATAR TEXT AND THIS VERY THREAD YOU ARE POSTING IN

We are marked. Honor or shame, yet to be seen.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah this is what it looks to me like cruz is planning, and it will certainly pave the way for the Trump Party to beat the elephants, if not the asses

Yet another avenue that leads to Hillary beating the gently caress out of the GOP candidate. Personally, I'd rather the GOP just burn it all down and not let the first vote be locked-in delegates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The best part about Trump running third party the whole time out of the purest, Nixonian anger against the GOP is that once he's laid waste to the party by splitting their vote in half when it was already insufficient, he can just say he was never really a Republican and they were huge dummies for letting him run as one. He almost ran for president as a Democrat, ya dummies! Sad!

• Locked thread