Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I, ZachAttack, oath 2 UCM Eagle Gunships from Hawk Wargames (Dropzone Commander, 10mm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
RE: the Oathbreaker avatars, I agree that they're fun but as Lord Hypnostache says:

Lord Hypnostache posted:

While I wouldn't mind seeing more silly avatars, I prefer the current more inclusive and chill atmosphere in the Oath thread, where there is not really any penalty for failing an oath.
The early Oath Threads were very...difficult for me to get involved in as a painter, it was like joining up the SA forum as a total noob: lots of rules, so much happening and if you messed up because you didn't know some obscure rule you could be punished harshly or ignored, and you didn't know which. All credit to the guys that got the Oath Thread going, but the current vibe in the thread is now friendlier and more open I think, and hopefully longtime Oathers can back me up on that.

In several months, yes, I'll be a bit burnt out and busy and wrapped up in things and yes people will stop Oathing every month (it'd be great to have a newsletter to keep people informed and interested!) but the vibe doesn't change. The rules can be daunting but I've tried my best to write them in an open and inviting way for new foks to feel they can join in without biting their nails about their Oaths.

I'm going a bit off track now but to me the concept of penalizing someone with an avatar is a bit harsh (although, yes, I know this is SA and that happens here but only when you annoy too many people for too long - for not painting a tiny model I think it's harsh). Further to that, rewarding participants for failing just goes against what I think the Oath thread should be.

So unless there's a revolt or I'm voted down, I would rather give avatars to Oathers who complete their Oaths, not for those who fail their Oaths. Again, the whole point of the Oath thread is to paint your stacks of plastic crack, not to fail at doing that.

My proposal for new Oath avatars is for every month to offer one or two avatars to Oathers who complete their Oaths (and have opted in to get an avatar, because many people like their avatars), and for an avatartist (see what I did there?) to give them an Oathkeeper avatar. This could be Pierre (whose avatars you can see in this very thread), SRM (he of Dawn of Awesome fame), grassy gnoll or anyone else handy with Photoshop and armed with a sense of humor and some photos of badly painted models. Hell, I'd say even myself and Zark (if he wants) would be eligible for the avatar, I'm due a new one anyway (we are not otherwise eligible for prizes or points).

Thoughts?

Hummingbird James posted:

I, Hummingbird James, oath to paint 10 Tactical Marines from the Betrayal at Calth box with the Forge World plasma gun upgrade kit (and a FW Mk III shoulder pad for one dude).

Flipswitch posted:

poo poo pic but I, Flipswitch, oath to paint 2x UCM Falcons

rkajdi posted:

Because there's nothing in the thread about how to add to your oath, I hope I'm doing this right.

I, rkajdi, am adding Rahn, a Magister, and Arcanist to my oath:

LordAba posted:

I, Lord Aba, oath 2 toxicrinefrom Games-Workship

So... I oath that I will not buy any new models*, nor kick any starts**, until I have finished painting my Tyranids or the year ends. I will immediately regret this oath as I am a whore for random models. If I break and buy something new I will throw myself on the love and mercy of the thread. But at least I get motivated during the summer, so I should be able to knock off a fair bit before my 200th gaunt drives me insane.

* If I go to a 'con I will buy something. I also ordered some Guild Ball last week and it would be dickish not to actually buy them from my local store. Also if they make new tyranids I guess?
** Exception being Aetherium and new Endless Fantasy IF they do any new kickstarters.
I am the same way, the plastic crack calls, and I cave. Just yesterday I got a box from the Deadzone Kickstarter! But apart from this and the Warpath Kickstarter I'm expecting no big shipments of models any time soon so other than random impulse buys of models at shows or whatever I'm really trying to hold off buying anything.

ZachAttack posted:

I, ZachAttack, oath 2 UCM Eagle Gunships from Hawk Wargames (Dropzone Commander, 10mm)
OATHS ACCEPTED!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Technically it says how to oath, and a later post says you can do additional oaths, but nothing says if those oaths should have different formatting. I'm guessing not from your reply.
No, you do nothing different except say 'Oath addition!'

malal posted:

Can achievements be claimed at any time, or only in conjunction with a finished oath?
You can claim them any time, because who knows, you may decide to do something extra on the model that you didn't plan originally. So you don't need to announce them in the original Oath post, but you do have to claim them in the Oath Complete post with your completed picture.

quote:

This is turning out to be really fun
Good! :

Leperflesh posted:

A lot of people have trouble getting photos to show up due to using HTTPS vs HTTP, and depending on their browser. Check the URLs for both your hosted image, and for how you're browsing SA, and be aware that in some cases you can't mix and match without the browser deciding not to follow a URL because it might be insecure.
Ah, I do use the HTTPS Everywhere extension for Chrome, that could very well be it.

quote:

Also: some folks are asking about photography, where did that post I posted go? I forget which thread it was in, even.
That was originally in the Mantic thread but I copy-pasted it in the Painting thread. I'll collect the best replies about picture taking in the OP of this thread, and link to the photography post in the Painting thread too.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 6, 2016

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I agree on the no penalties part. The entire concept behind the thread is to motivate people to paint, and a few incentives do just that.
Having some massive penalty might cause someone to not bother, and it's obvious the more the merrier.

The achievements are a great idea, just looking at them as a way to expand what I'm working on and to try new things is motivation enough. The prizes or potential prizes are just lagniappe.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

(it'd be great to have a newsletter to keep people informed and interested!)

Mailchimp, friend :ocelot:

krushgroove posted:

an avatartist

I absolutely read that in the voice of Sid James

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just to clarify a couple of things:

Where are my Dragons? is the name for the Jurnal/Challenge for May. Either paint up a Dragon (or some sort of Sci-Fi flyer), or a party of fantasy adventurers, and this is worth 1 extra point on your completed Oath.

Monster May-Hem is the competition I'm running this month, to encourage people to paint big monsters. You get 1 entry for painting a monster, a second entry for painting multiple monsters, and another for posing your monster(s) in some kind of diorama, e.g. adventurers encountering the dragon in it's hoard. One entry will be picked at random, winner gets an online store voucher.

You could paint up a Dragon and use it for both your Jurnal and your competition entry. However, planes don't count towards the competition, and non-dragon monsters (e.g. a Giant) wouldn't count towards the Jurnal.

The original layout for the Jurnals had the 'paint a Dragon' one come up at the end of a season, but we felt that getting people to paint up big monsters in two different months was possibly a stretch.

---

Regarding Oathing and Prize eligibility, I still intend to Oath this season and go for achievements/jurnals etc., as I've found it really helps me get stuff done. However if I get drawn for any seasonal prizes they will be re-drawn (I think that's the way it works). I'll leave it up to individual organisers to determine my eligibility towards independent competitions like Germ's July Terrain Fest.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Could I add a Drop Pod for the May challenge? I don't have any flyers that aren't in need of rescue so aren't eligible (I've already used my rescue to enter this month :smith:) but I do have a Drop Pod or two laying about. I mean, they kind of fly. Admittedly it's probably more falling than flying...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Zark the Damned posted:

Just to clarify a couple of things:

Where are my Dragons? is the name for the Jurnal/Challenge for May. Either paint up a Dragon (or some sort of Sci-Fi flyer), or a party of fantasy adventurers, and this is worth 1 extra point on your completed Oath.

Monster May-Hem is the competition I'm running this month, to encourage people to paint big monsters. You get 1 entry for painting a monster, a second entry for painting multiple monsters, and another for posing your monster(s) in some kind of diorama, e.g. adventurers encountering the dragon in it's hoard. One entry will be picked at random, winner gets an online store voucher.

You could paint up a Dragon and use it for both your Jurnal and your competition entry. However, planes don't count towards the competition, and non-dragon monsters (e.g. a Giant) wouldn't count towards the Jurnal.

The original layout for the Jurnals had the 'paint a Dragon' one come up at the end of a season, but we felt that getting people to paint up big monsters in two different months was possibly a stretch.

Question on scales for the monster may-hem. I am painting a 28mm dragon already, but am also painting a Screamer for Dropzone Commander which is essentially a 50 foot tall monster only in 10mm scale. Asking more out of curiosity than anything since I have the dragon in. I was originally planning on doing a 28mm Mumakil for this challenge but switched when the dragons got lumped in. I may oath addition it still if I finish with time left, especially since I have been looking for an excuse to paint it. Only had it for 7 years now...

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
School is wrapping up this week, so I'm going to have at least 2 months worth of free time to paint. Shall oath stuff this weekend. Thanks for making the new thread!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Because there's nothing in the thread about how to add to your oath, I hope I'm doing this right.

That's fine. The general format for Oath Additions is to add 'Oath Addition' to the start, like http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717315&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post445650295 from last May. Note, you'll need to include everything in your Oath Complete post, including the stuff from your previous 'complete' one.

nesbit37 posted:

Question on scales for the monster may-hem. I am painting a 28mm dragon already, but am also painting a Screamer for Dropzone Commander which is essentially a 50 foot tall monster only in 10mm scale. Asking more out of curiosity than anything since I have the dragon in. I was originally planning on doing a 28mm Mumakil for this challenge but switched when the dragons got lumped in. I may oath addition it still if I finish with time left, especially since I have been looking for an excuse to paint it. Only had it for 7 years now...

Looking at pics online it certainly seems to fit the bill of 'giant monster' even if it is in 10mm, so it's fine. May be a good idea to put alongside some infantry bases to show off how big it is in scale though :)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey, just got done the three guys I listed, so let's add some more:

I, rkajdi, Oath that I will paint these Battle Mages as an oath addition:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

May as well give this another try this year.

I, head58, oath these three Guild Ball Alchemist models (Steamforged Games, 28mm) for the month of May: Midas, Calculus and Mercury

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
While I'm waiting for my Battle Mages to dry and get highlighted, I thought I'd post my pictures of the previous additions to my oath:

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Hey, just a heads-up: the Oath Countdown page (https://oath-countdown.appspot.com/) doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Just in case no one's clicked on it yet. I lived by that thing this past season, and I'm sure others did too. Are we just using the World Time Server for now, or will this app be fixed or substituted? Thanks!

Good news everyone! I've updated the app with another 12 months of oath dates. I'm glad some of you found it useful. Happy oathing!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I, drgnvale, forgot to oath this last week, 1 28mm Lich dude from Reaper bones:

I'd just take a new picture but he's half done now :(

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I, cyberia, oath this knight figure from the Reaper Bones 'learn to paint' kit for the month of May

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Hey quick question. I know things are supposed to be 1 color, but is zenithal primed stuff okay?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Pash posted:

Hey quick question. I know things are supposed to be 1 color, but is zenithal primed stuff okay?

It looks like you should be fine. Second post:

krushgroove posted:

How to Oath your model:
2. Your model must be photographed out of its package and in one of these states:
2a. still on sprue, off the sprue and unassembled, partially assembled or fully assembled
2b. unpainted, primed or basecoated in a SINGLE color
2c. zenithal priming IS allowed, however pre-shading or picking out details is NOT allowed**

If you're not sure, post a pic before you paint more.

I'm going to assemble and prime all my poo poo before I oath it in the future. I hosed up my priming this month but I think I can live with it on this model.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Deanut Pancer posted:

Good news everyone! I've updated the app with another 12 months of oath dates. I'm glad some of you found it useful. Happy oathing!

Thanks Deanut Pancer :buddy:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint in the month of May, 1 each of the following (l-r): Orc Archer; Orc Berserker; converted Orc Hunter (Spear); Orc Marauder (Sword & Shield); Rogan, Half-Orc Rogue; Kavorgh, Orc Warboss; converted Warg; and Frost Wyrm! All Reaper Bones, 28mm scale. The wyrm is zenithal primed, all the rest are unprimed (though the rogue is just, like, covered in liquid greenstuff).

As noted above, I've made some minor conversions to the warg and the orc-formerly-with-spear; I've added a collar to the doggie and turned speardude into a crossbowdude.
Before:

After:

Also, many thanks to Deanut Pancer for fixing the time-remaining app! That thing's a lifesaver/stress-reinforcer.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath to paint in May one Dwarven Battle-wren, plus base

Base is Micro-art Studio I think... the wren is from some company on amazon (designed as a garden ornament), plus copious amounts of Magic Sculp, greenstuff and some decorative bits and shields from Scibor.

Going for Monster May-hem for size (it stands nearly 10cm tall), and the theme challenge as it's decidedly fantasy, but not quite a dragon.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

GoodBee posted:

It looks like you should be fine. Second post:

If you're not sure, post a pic before you paint more.

I'm going to assemble and prime all my poo poo before I oath it in the future. I hosed up my priming this month but I think I can live with it on this model.

Awesome, thanks!

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

I, headlor, oath to paint in the month of May, these 7 orc (goblin?) fightmen.

I'm pretty sure they're 28mm LotR orcs from GW from back when we ran a battle companies campaign. Which was a pretty cool skirmish game viewed through rose tinted glasses.

Really I'm starting to dig through the bottom of my miniatures box and trying to clear the backlog

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hello friends, i am actually going to do this this year.

i, Business Gorillas, oath to paint one (1) night goblin fanatic and three (3) dwarf longbeards

edit: this is obviously fitting with the theme challenge

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I, wdarkk, Oath for the month of May a Dropzone Commander PHR starter set by Hawk Wargames (plastic, 10mm).

I'm going to claim where are my dragons for the Neptunes, since they're a sci-fi unit that flies and shoots things.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

hello friends, i am actually going to do this this year.

i, Business Gorillas, oath to paint one (1) night goblin fanatic and three (3) dwarf longbeards

edit: this is obviously fitting with the theme challenge

As it's your first Oath Krush will no doubt let you off, but for future ones please note your clock needs to be in American Samoan time - http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_AS.aspx

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oath Complete on the Battle Mages. Obviously, this fits the #SquadGoals achievement.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

First time taking part in the Oath Thread, and my first entry is a little hazy on legality due to the basecoating.

Months ago I zenithal primed then orange basecoated with an airbrush a Zuriel model. Since it's been sitting unfinished for this long I'm going to use this thread to get my rear end in gear.

If this guy isn't kosher, no big deal. I'll try to get him done and oath something else in time. But if he's legal, then

I, Floppychop, oath to paint a Privateer Press Zuriel Heavy Warbeast.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Only one of the four models I have oathed, but Helga the Conqueror is finished (besides basing/front arc) and looking pretty snazzy. Next on to her warbeasts.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I, rkajdi, oath to paint Kaelyssa, 2 Assassins, and Narn as an addition for the month:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oath Addition - Seven gnolls from the Reaper Bones line, 28mm.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Well, not sure if this will count towards the May Jurnal but I'm bored of not airbrushing it!

Oath Addition - Space Marine Drop Pod (interior primed with Leadbelcher)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oath Complete for my latest additions:

I know I need to list all my pictures for my final post of the month, but should I do it as a combined shot or just combine all the images for my previous stuff at a lower resolution? I'm probably mostly done for the month since I have 3 weeks worth of work trips to deal with.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I Indolent Bastard oath one old lead dragon thing that has been in my minis box for more than 15 years. I don't know the scale, I don't know who made it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sorry I'm late, but I almost forgot I wanted to get in on this whole business!

I, Endman, oath these four dudes with axes (one of whom I already started yesterday, sorry! Maybe just count the three unpainted ones then):

Endman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 10, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath addition!
The Mountain Giant, the Troll and the Mystic Troll from Blood Rage by CMoN.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cool shoutout to this thread from KR Multicase on their Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153574304331778&id=199053616777

KR Multicase posted:

Each year KR Multicase proudly support Something Awful’s Painting Contest, which pits their dedicated followers against each other, painting an entire army over the course of the year – and this year is no different. But on occasion, we also help out with something a little different also.

Last year, Something awful also ran a ‘Decorate your KR Multicase’ competition, which asked for painters to submit pictures of how they had made their KR Multicase products unique, to fit their armies and models.

We looked through all of them and got down to the last few, but simply couldn’t decide – so, we’ve sent out prizes to all of the finalists. Meanwhile, we thought we’d share the pictures here, for inspiration to all of you out there thinking of doing something similar!

https://www.krmulticase.com - putting figures first

I can't figure out how to post the pics of the painted cases but they all look great :downs:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Lack of Gravitas posted:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153574304331778&id=199053616777

I can't figure out how to post the pics of the painted cases but they all look great :downs:

Everyone should hit that link and go give it a like, it only takes a moment of your time and supports our sponsors.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

rkajdi posted:

Oath Complete for my latest additions:

I know I need to list all my pictures for my final post of the month, but should I do it as a combined shot or just combine all the images for my previous stuff at a lower resolution? I'm probably mostly done for the month since I have 3 weeks worth of work trips to deal with.

Easiest thing to do is post the lot once it's all done unless you are claiming speed painting or something. So long as you oath complete before the month ends you are fine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Neat :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lack of Gravitas posted:

My prize case just arrived yesterday. It's pretty drat keen.

• Locked thread