Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Towards the end of last season, in what sounds like what could happen if you left children unattended around a range of domestic washing products, Leicester City played with zest and pizzazz. And there was surely no better place to be in the final weeks of the campaign than the King Power stadium, where players, management and fans seemed in loud and rapturous union as the Foxes sensationally swaggered to Premier League survival. Nigel Pearson’s side had endured low points and weird sideshows but they ended up as the feelgood story of the season. Everyone loved Leicester. Only something really dumb or despicable could chase the giddy vibes from the place. Then something really dumb and despicable happened.

A goodwill tour to the country of a club’s owner can be definitively said to have backfired when it ends amid headlines about a “racist orgy”. And if the manager’s son is one of three players jilted in the aftermath, then the manager is in a dicey position. Exactly what unfolded between Pearson and his Thai employers during those troubled weeks in June has not yet been disclosed, but the month concluded with the Leicester board declaring their relationship with Pearson, which had previously frayed, to be “no longer viable” and beginning their search for a new manager. Many fans were saddened. Two weeks later Claudio Ranieri was appointed. Many fans were further saddened. It will be hard for Ranieri to cheer them up.

quote:

Leicester only passed into the hands of Thai businessman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha in 2010, but things have been pretty stable since. He was rewarded for his patience with Pearson last season, and the only major question with regard to the state of the club is over Ranieri. He arrives at the Foxes fresh from a disastrous spell in charge of the Greek national team, and though their problems can't all be attributed to him (indeed most can't), losing to the Faroe Islands is a big blot on his record. He also failed to win the title in four seasons at Chelsea (2000-04), which is regarded by many as a significant failure. He's certainly got a lot to prove, and Leicester are taking a big gamble by hiring him.

Leicester have one very simple, and yet very difficult goal: surviving relegation. Anything better than that would be seriously impressive; anything worse would be greeted with a collective shrug of the shoulders.

It's going to be difficult for Leicester, who are on paper one of the weakest teams in the entire division. They've also lost talismanic midfielder Esteban Cambiasso, who chose to not renew his contract with the Foxes after an outstanding season in the Premier League. They're certainly in with a chance of survival, but head into the season as one of the favorites for relegation.

quote:

It has been a chaotic summer at Leicester following their miraculous escape from relegation. The club were rewarded for sticking by Nigel Pearson last season as a stunning run of form secured survival, but he was surprisingly sacked just weeks after the end of the campaign.
Big Games

Monday 2 May 2016
20:00 Chelsea v Spurs Stamford Bridge - Spurs need to win to keep the title race "alive"

Saturday 7 May 2016

12:45 Norwich v Man Utd Carrow Road - Pressure is on Norwich with a game in hand and they need a result. United on the other hand need to keep pressure up on City to get fourth place. A win and United are 1 point behind City.
15:00 Aston Villa v Newcastle Villa Park - If they can't beat Villa lmao Newcastle doesn't deserve to stay in the premier league, but if they do that puts pressure on Norwich and Sunderland to win games.
15:00 Crystal Palace v Stoke Selhurst Park - If Palace lose this lmao, although it's take some doing to turn their Goal Difference advantage.
15:00 Sunderland v Chelsea Stadium of Light - Chelsea's youth team will probably play this, but even still Sunderland need to win.
17:30 Leicester v Everton KingPower Stadium - Win this game and Leicester are champions. Draw it and they would have to lose their final game with Spurs winning out to lose the title.

Sunday 8 May 2016
13:30 Spurs v Southampton White Hart Lane - Spurs need to win to stay alive, but as mentioned the title may be decided by then.
16:00 Man City v Arsenal Etihad Stadium - Fight for third place between Arsenal and City, I'm not sure of the details but fourth place may not be guaranteed champions league if Liverpool win the Europa League and City win the Champions league/finish 3rd (lol yes, I know but still). If City lose this then holy poo poo they are under the pump for fourth place. But then again, United finishing fourth and then City pulling a Chelsea would be amazing.

Tuesday 10 May 2016
19:45 West Ham v Man Utd Boleyn Ground - Last game at the old ground and, assuming West Ham don't bottle it against Swansea, the winner could still have a shot at the champions league.

Wednesday 11 May 2016
19:45 Norwich v Watford Carrow Road - Norwich need to win.
19:45 Sunderland v Everton Stadium of Light - Sunderland need to win.

Sunday 15 May 2016 all games 15:00
Title Games Assuming Leicester aren't Champs already:
Chelsea v Leicester Stamford Bridge - Could be a major title decider, may be a dead rubber match.
Newcastle v Spurs St. James' Park - Tottenham could be up against a well organised Newcastle squad fighting for survival, or this is a dead rubber match with both affairs settled.

Champions League Games assuming City and Arsenal don't win out (lol City lol Arsenal)
Arsenal v Aston Villa Emirates Stadium - Would there be anything more Arsenal than losing to an already relegated team on the last day of the season to miss out on the champions league?
Man Utd v Bournemouth Old Trafford - Assuming United are still in it they'll be against a safe Bournemouth team looking forward to holidays.
Stoke v West Ham Britannia Stadium - It's possible that West Ham are still in the champions league hunt at this stage, but unlikely.
Swansea v Man City Liberty Stadium - City should probably beat Swansea, but they also should probably have beaten Southampton so lol here we are.

Relegation Scraps assuming 2 teams haven't been relegated already.
Everton v Norwich Goodison Park - Norwich need to win, also probably Martinez's last game in charge.
Southampton v Crystal Palace St. Mary's Stadium - Lmao just Lmao if Palace get relegated.
Watford v Sunderland Vicarage Road - Depending on other fixtures it could be important, unless Norwich and Newcastle are relegated already. Will the unflushable turd stay bobbing in the bowl? or will big sam finally go down the drain.
Newcastle v Spurs St. James' Park - Worst case scenario is Spurs are still fighting for the title, in which case they'll probably get anihilated. Best case is the title is settled and spurs don't care.

Last Month's Highlights:

Making jokes about dead German Goalkeepers and Hillsborough. :911:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've started thinking newcastle might stay up rather than accepting relegation is happening but i know its going to be relegation

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

i've started thinking newcastle might stay up rather than accepting relegation is happening but i know its going to be relegation

This is probably very little comfort, but if some other results go your way, then maybe a win against Villa will seal it?

Sunderland have an tricky run in with Chelsea, Everton (and Watford. Norwich still have to deal with Man United, Everton, and Watford too, with Man United still in with a chance at a Top 4 spot.

A lot of this will depend on which Everton shows up and whether Watford will be that motivated.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Towards the end of last season, in what sounds like what could happen if you left children unattended around a range of domestic washing products, Leicester City played with zest and pizzas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the thing i care about most is benitez staying the manager next season whether or not relegation happens

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also I bet Esteban Cambiasso feels like an idiot now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Since I got owned by the thread closing, I'm reposting the excerpt of insane-person LVG referencing masochism in relation to a penalty claim :colbert:

"It was a very difficult match for the referee – when you see what Huth is doing with Fellaini, is that not a penalty?” Van Gaal asked, before pulling Geoff Shreeves’ hair.

“Shall I grab you by your hair? What is your reaction when I grab your hair? Your hair is shorter than Fellaini but when I do that, what are you doing then? It’s a reaction.

“Every human being who is grabbed by the hair, only with sex masochism, then it is allowed but not in other situations. They did it. They did it several times I think.”

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Brony Car posted:

This is probably very little comfort, but if some other results go your way, then maybe a win against Villa will seal it?

This is impossible because Norwich & Sunderland's games in hand are in between Newcastle's final two games. Whatever happens its going down to the last week of the season and likely the final game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

This is impossible because Norwich & Sunderland's games in hand are in between Newcastle's final two games. Whatever happens its going down to the last week of the season and likely the final game.

won't norwich and sunderland play both those games before the final day of the season? in the unlikely event they lose both and newcastle beat villa thats newcastle safe

anyway i think newcastle have to beat spurs and villa to survive and lol at the idea of winning 3 in a row including spurs

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

I made a mistake by saying "seal it." I really meant "be enough".

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

won't norwich and sunderland play both those games before the final day of the season? in the unlikely event they lose both and newcastle beat villa thats newcastle safe

anyway i think newcastle have to beat spurs and villa to survive and lol at the idea of winning 3 in a row including spurs

Yeah but Norwich & Sunderland have two games each in the final week, after Newcastle vs Villa, so no-one can be relegated until all three teams are on 37 played minimum.

I expect Newcastle to beat Villa and lose to Spurs, and Sunderland to lose to Chelsea and beat on the beach Everton and Watford. Which would leave Norwich needing 3 wins to stay up which won't happen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Benitez has really shown how awful Mcclaren was. I wonder how pardew felt that benitez's name was being sung by the crowd yesterday which never happened for him

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I don't understand why people thought Leicester would bottle it, they've been excited for "squeaky bum time" since the off season

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Now that Drinkwater is suspended will they play Inler?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

TheBigAristotle posted:

Since I got owned by the thread closing, I'm reposting the excerpt of insane-person LVG referencing masochism in relation to a penalty claim :colbert:

"It was a very difficult match for the referee – when you see what Huth is doing with Fellaini, is that not a penalty?” Van Gaal asked, before pulling Geoff Shreeves’ hair.

“Shall I grab you by your hair? What is your reaction when I grab your hair? Your hair is shorter than Fellaini but when I do that, what are you doing then? It’s a reaction.

“Every human being who is grabbed by the hair, only with sex masochism, then it is allowed but not in other situations. They did it. They did it several times I think.”

Lol

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Newcastle
Norwich
Aston Villa

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

tbf man u fans know a lot about masochism

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Claudio Ranieri said in the press conference he won't know what is happening in the Chelsea-Spurs match because he'll be on a flight back to England from Rome, where he's taking his 96-year-old mother out to lunch.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Troy Queef posted:

Claudio Ranieri said in the press conference he won't know what is happening in the Chelsea-Spurs match because he'll be on a flight back to England from Rome, where he's taking his 96-year-old mother out to lunch.
I'm sure Signora Ranieri is a wonderful woman, but I don't know how you could ever miss watching that game, tomorrow could be the greatest day of his career.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Troy Queef posted:

it is impossible to dislike claudio ranieri

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
How haven't we replaced Hodgson with Ranieri yet

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

trem_two posted:

This is a translation of an inteview that Mahrez gave to L'Equipe, it's a pretty good read imo: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.co...quipe-magazine/

This was really good, particularly the bit about St Mirren

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

jre posted:

This was really good, particularly the bit about St Mirren

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2016/riyad-mahrezs-entire-interview-with-lequipe-magazine/

fixed link, it is a good read

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

St. Totteringham's day still happens if it's the last day of the season, right?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Now that Drinkwater is suspended will they play Inler?

They're going to do an emergency one match loan for Cambiasso.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Shrapnig posted:

They're going to do an emergency one match loan for Cambiasso.

Does he get a trophy for that?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

Does he get a trophy for that?

He might, but he won't get a medal.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think they will just play 1 club man, only man to win league 1, the championship and the premier league, Mr King.

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

He's my manager of the year for sure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

I think they will just play 1 club man, only man to win league 1, the championship and the premier league, Mr King.

And the 2016 european championship.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Honestly, it's strange, but I'd like the Chels to win today.

Leicester need to win the title in front of their own fans, and there then needs to be a massive pitch invasion.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Honestly, it's strange, but I'd like the Chels to win today.

Leicester need to win the title in front of their own fans, and there then needs to be a massive pitch invasion.

I agree, but for that to be possible Spurs need to win today.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

vyelkin posted:

tbf man u fans know a lot about masochism

yeah they've had it really tough

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
I'm glad Claudio Ranieri had shown the big clubs that you don't need big money to win big. All it takes is some faith and a lot of PEDperoni pizza

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jeebus bob posted:

I agree, but for that to be possible Spurs need to win today.

*cycles backwards*

nature finds a way, jim

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I want Spurs to win today so that Leicester can win the whole thing at home... :allears:

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Who was the poster who kept saying that Vardy was poo poo and Leciester were going to die at any moment the whole way through the season?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Redundant

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paddyb posted:

Redundant

I know it's redundant, but who was the poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
nyuk nyuk nyuk

• Locked thread