Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at all the idiots ITT eating raw meat like animals and cavemen. It's 2016, we have the Foreman. Put your tenderloin on there and actually cook the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

rio posted:

Steak is gross botch

GET 'IM!! :toughguy:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Maldoror posted:

If you've never had it, try Ruth's Chris.

I recommend the 16 oz ribeye.

It's a $50 entree. It's worth it...

The mother of my daughters' best friend is a trainer for servers at Ruth's Chris. From what she's told me (at least the Minneapolis location) really tries hard to make the best food they can. She can tell me all the inside info about other steakhouses in town and, though I like my steaks best, Ruth's Chris sounds great.

For my steak. 1.5" New York Strip. Salt and pepper. Pan hot as hell. 3 minutes one side, 2 minutes other. Douse in butter. Eat with no sides and enjoy your time in the John in the morning. My wife likes Worcestershire sauce. I sometimes like Bleu Cheese, but only if the steak is under-marbled.

Remember, if you don't set off the smoke alarms, you aren't doing it right. I sometimes use the grill, but I always seem to get a better sear in a pan.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Chinatown aren't you from Toronto? If you're not buying your steaks at cheese boutique get on your poo poo. https://www.cheeseboutique.com

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 4, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
4 inch think porterhouse or bone in rib eye.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_rare

Salt, pepper and some garlic rubbed on it.

And a bottle of wine.

And the whole world can just gently caress right off while I'm eating it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ruth's Chris is only ok but way too expensive for what you get.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my roommate walked in a few weeks ago and the place was full of smoke and was like WHAT ARE U DOING THATS NOT HOW U COOK A STEAK and looked so loving stupid i literally laughed out loud

said that all the furniture was going to smell like steak smoke and i was like :confused:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
But seriously if you can't get and make on the regular 60 day dry aged grain fed local for 15 bucks cdn for a 1.5 inch striploin just lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chinatown posted:

my roommate walked in a few weeks ago and the place was full of smoke and was like WHAT ARE U DOING THATS NOT HOW U COOK A STEAK and looked so loving stupid i literally laughed out loud

said that all the furniture was going to smell like steak smoke and i was like :confused:

Can I sleep on your furniture?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm cooking 2 NY strips RIGHT MOTHERFUCKIN' NOW!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ruths Chris annoys me because they charge regular steakhouse prices but serve food that is at the very bottom of the steakhouse quality scale. I can just go to a real steakhouse, pay the same price, and get better food.

It also annoys me because the one in my city is on top of a huge tower with amazing views, but it's really just not worth going to.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
gently caress the big, "fancy" chains, give me the spot that's been serving up their own dry-aged steaks for the last 75 years.

Give me the old mahogany wood floor, dim lighting, tall-rear end leather-wrapped booth seats, and a waiter who doesn't blink when I say to keep the martinis coming and only visits me to give me more booze or my next dish.

Every city worth visiting has a spot like that and they're pretty much the best places to eat steak and feel powerful.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 4, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
One of my guilty pleasures is steak and eggs from my home town diner when I visit. The steak is absurdly tough and the cut is unidentifiable. It may actually be processed tendons smashed together with meat glue. It is really terrible. You can ask for it rare if you want, but it always comes back well done as hell. I always get over-easy eggs, hash browns, and tomato juice. They never have tomato juice, but I always ask.

I then drown the entire plate in an irresponsible amount of A1 and ketchup. It is always terrible, but it reminds me of home. If they ever made a good steak, I wouldn't go back.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ButteCysts posted:

that looks bad

Pudding Huxtable posted:

enfield if I stab this guy will you invite me over for dinner?

It was bright pink 100% of the way through and had a crazy butter crust after the flamening and was the best steak I've ever had not at a restaurant but sorry y'all aren't hip enough for the sous vide/searzall combo

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

4 inch think porterhouse or bone in rib eye.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_rare

Salt, pepper and some garlic rubbed on it.

And a bottle of wine.

And the whole world can just gently caress right off while I'm eating it.

Pittsburgh Rare is the most vile piece of overhyped poo poo you could get in the city. The most gristlely crap I have ever encountered.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cartouche posted:

Pittsburgh Rare is the most vile piece of overhyped poo poo you could get in the city. The most gristlely crap I have ever encountered.

You are the easiest ignore I have ever seen.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i'm dry aging my dick

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

VendaGoat posted:

You are the easiest ignore I have ever seen.

Eh, I've had a few steaks "Pittsburgh Rare" and if the restaurant doesn't specialize in it, it usually comes out well-done for too far down, and then totally raw in the rest

It takes a special kind of heat to pull it off. Like 1200°f or something. It's awesome when it's done right but I stick to rare-medium unless a place puts it on the menu as a speciality. Abe and Louie's in Boston did a fantastic one.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

mostlygray posted:

The mother of my daughters' best friend is a trainer for servers at Ruth's Chris. From what she's told me (at least the Minneapolis location) really tries hard to make the best food they can. She can tell me all the inside info about other steakhouses in town and, though I like my steaks best, Ruth's Chris sounds great.

For my steak. 1.5" New York Strip. Salt and pepper. Pan hot as hell. 3 minutes one side, 2 minutes other. Douse in butter. Eat with no sides and enjoy your time in the John in the morning. My wife likes Worcestershire sauce. I sometimes like Bleu Cheese, but only if the steak is under-marbled.

Remember, if you don't set off the smoke alarms, you aren't doing it right. I sometimes use the grill, but I always seem to get a better sear in a pan.

I sometimes use a pan on a grill because of the smoke alarm thing and it works well.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
sometimes i like to get steak thats sliced super thin and completely buried in cheese and put on a roll and then is shoved into my mouth

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tumble posted:

Eh, I've had a few steaks "Pittsburgh Rare" and if the restaurant doesn't specialize in it, it usually comes out well-done for too far down, and then totally raw in the rest

It takes a special kind of heat to pull it off. Like 1200°f or something. It's awesome when it's done right but I stick to rare-medium unless a place puts it on the menu as a speciality. Abe and Louie's in Boston did a fantastic one.

I'm sorry, let me clarify.

If I go to a steakhouse, I get rare. Flat rucking rare. Never been disappointed.

When I make my own steak, I go Pittsburgh rare, because I know how to do it.

So we, are in agreement. :)

How's that for a nice thing to say about steak?

Which I might have to make tonight, because I'm getting sick of chicken.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Tonight's dinner is Evan Williams, McMurray Pinot Noir and a bone in ribeye, while watching hockey.

Tonight, the entire world can kiss my entire rear end.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Walrus posted:

Hey Chinatown aren't you from Toronto? If you're not buying your steaks at cheese boutique get on your poo poo. https://www.cheeseboutique.com

You shut your whore mouth, Chintatown is a SoCal man

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I like my steaks like i like my california women

hot on the outside and pink in teh center :D

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i am so alone

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

also chrome gives me a privacy warning to not visit this site lmbo

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You know....

Steak never criticizes me on how I eat it.

Checkmate ladies. :smug:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i grilled portabello mushrooms today :cool:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I tried to buy a sirloin at the grocery store yesterday and couldn't find a single cut that was labeled thus.

I wasn't really looking for a 2 lb ribeye (which they had... looked pretty fatty though), just something inexpensive i could char and broil to medium rare and wouldn't be tough and then slather in catsup.

Did they rename sirloin to something else?

I've never bought a steak before at the grocer. I'm not a huge fan, but it sounded good. Typically when it sounds good a couple times a year I'll just get it at a restaurant.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
find a local butcher shop if youre looking for advice or a specific cut. or just go a high end market. thats what i do when i wanna blow some serious cash on a big rear end steak.

Also you can say that youre going to "tha butcha" in an english accent like you are living in the industrial revolution and own a factory

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

steak is really good but if you fuckers ain't ate some ox tails slow slow slow cooked in some red wine you ain't really tasted beef

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I do not believe in high end markets, Gelsons sells the same drat meat and produce as Pavillions, just they mark it up an extra $2

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
a Gelsons just opened up 5 minutes from me.

im a Ralph's Fresh Fare man though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

also chrome gives me a privacy warning to not visit this site lmbo

i don't think it's a real site I typed it on my phone earlier today. they have asick site though I'm sure you can find on google with a literal streetview style thingy of their entyire store

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh look a three year old picturew of that steak I was talking about., yummmmm

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Walrus posted:

oh look a three year old picturew of that steak I was talking about., yummmmm

omg

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

My recipe for a good steak

Finely chop green onions and grate daikon for garnish

Get a bottle of soba sauce and a bottle of yuzu or ponzu juice

Mix it with some sliced onion or shallot and finely obliterated garlic

Put it in a bag with your raw meat pile

Cook a little

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Cook a little

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Cook a little

Do you share this steak with a body pillow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

heffsay posted:

Do you share this steak with a body pillow?

Lol

• Locked thread