Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, there's like two (iirc) cheaters in the top of the leaderboards, Mohawk keeps purging their entries while they're trying to figure out the hack itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

glassbottle posted:

Has anyone taken the time to watch any of the daily challenge replays? The top person today beat the map on the second Sol. I watched the first little bit of the replay, there seemed to be a bug that allowed the player to get several hundred thousand dollars right away. Has anyone else seen or experienced this?

Daily leaderboards are loving retarded and a huge loving waste of a modern developers time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I don't understand why you would waste any time on single player AI for a game like this, unless that's how the $40 price tag is justified. Slash it to $20, make it multiplayer only, and I'll bet there'd actually be more than 450 people playing the game at any given time. I played for about 90 minutes last night and three people were the same in every single game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Efexeye posted:

I don't understand why you would waste any time on single player AI for a game like this, unless that's how the $40 price tag is justified. Slash it to $20, make it multiplayer only, and I'll bet there'd actually be more than 450 people playing the game at any given time. I played for about 90 minutes last night and three people were the same in every single game.

Regardless of the price, no one plays indie multiplayer games. $20, $10, $5, free, it is almost impossible to create a community for any game that doesn't have "battlefield" or "call of duty" at the start of its name. Even with games that are Designed For Multiplayer, every time developers do surveys to find out who's playing what, it comes out that 90+% of players are just doing offline skirmishes, campaigns, etc.

Multiplayer features are almost a vanity; single-player is core, like it or not!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Except the only thing that causes any kind of longevity in an rts is multiplayer? Nobody buys an rts to play against the Ai.

Except the idiots that threw money at ashes

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gibbo posted:

Nobody buys an rts to play against the Ai.

I would argue that a more correct statement is that "only people who post a lot on internet message boards, like you or me, buy RTSes to play against strangers online."

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I dunno Gibbo, a lot of the filthy casuals I know would rather 2v1 a Medium AI than play against each other in most RTS.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Efexeye posted:

I dunno Gibbo, a lot of the filthy casuals I know would rather 2v1 a Medium AI than play against each other in most RTS.

Yeah, those are what create mass initial sales, and a bit of life extension (look at starcraft UMS).

PleasingFungus posted:

I would argue that a more correct statement is that "only people who post a lot on internet message boards, like you or me, buy RTSes to play against strangers online."

While that's true, I'd wager there's a decent subset of people that like rts games, and every time one comes out they go "Alright. This time it's for real, and I play ladder"

Then they go online having only ever played single player, get bent over, and limp back to only ever playing skirmish vs Ai or against equally bad friends. Which is fine, not everyone cares to spend the time to "git gud" at a game that matters for nothing in the grand scheme of thing. But at the same time, that market segment is not going to be what helps to extend and resell your game. Spending development time on that group is dead money. Most people won't run to their friends and says "oh man. These daily leader boards are so much fun!"

The people who will tell their friends and promote the game are the ones having fun playing against other people and want to (I hate this loving term) share the experience.

So the broken matchmaking is a much much bigger issue for the health of the game than a compromised daily leader board.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I was watching one of the legitimate players do a daily challenge and it is making me reconsider my whole approach to debt.

I knew I was supposed to learn to live with debt and all but this player ended up 800K in the red; didn't stop them from winning!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Gibbo posted:

Yeah, those are what create mass initial sales, and a bit of life extension (look at starcraft UMS).

While that's true, I'd wager there's a decent subset of people that like rts games, and every time one comes out they go "Alright. This time it's for real, and I play ladder"

Then they go online having only ever played single player, get bent over, and limp back to only ever playing skirmish vs Ai or against equally bad friends. Which is fine, not everyone cares to spend the time to "git gud" at a game that matters for nothing in the grand scheme of thing. But at the same time, that market segment is not going to be what helps to extend and resell your game. Spending development time on that group is dead money. Most people won't run to their friends and says "oh man. These daily leader boards are so much fun!"

The people who will tell their friends and promote the game are the ones having fun playing against other people and want to (I hate this loving term) share the experience.

So the broken matchmaking is a much much bigger issue for the health of the game than a compromised daily leader board.

While it may seem that way, it is historically very much the opposite of true.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

reignofevil posted:

So I was watching one of the legitimate players do a daily challenge and it is making me reconsider my whole approach to debt.

I knew I was supposed to learn to live with debt and all but this player ended up 800K in the red; didn't stop them from winning!

Yeah, debt is not, in itself, much of a problem at all. I'd even say that the worst thing about it is the inability to utilize the black market efficiently.

which does, admittedly, matter

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, debt is not, in itself, much of a problem at all. I'd even say that the worst thing about it is the inability to utilize the black market efficiently.

which does, admittedly, matter

I would say that debt matters more in multi player. If you can't use the Black Market you are screwed. That is with out discussing how it pushes your stock price down. On the other hand I've won skirmishes while over 800k in the red. YMMV

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The single player trains you to be very liberal with debt but you have to watch it a bit tighter in MP.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so i haven't been able to play the multiplayer for this game. i assumed it was the aforementioned ranked problem, which i had thought was supposed to be patched out too. turns out it's something different, since i just tried to play a lobby with "SonPfADiddly" (who i recall is a poster in this thread?) and still wasn't able to play MP.

my problem is the loading screen gets stuck on "waiting for game renderer" and stays there forever (when trying to play ranked it eventually times out and takes me back to the main menu, though then the menu is a bit buggy if i try to play ranked again)

google doesn't seem to show many other people with this issue (there was a couple, one of which was responded to with "there's a hotfix for this out now" back in december)

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

so i haven't been able to play the multiplayer for this game. i assumed it was the aforementioned ranked problem, which i had thought was supposed to be patched out too. turns out it's something different, since i just tried to play a lobby with "SonPfADiddly" (who i recall is a poster in this thread?) and still wasn't able to play MP.

my problem is the loading screen gets stuck on "waiting for game renderer" and stays there forever (when trying to play ranked it eventually times out and takes me back to the main menu, though then the menu is a bit buggy if i try to play ranked again)

google doesn't seem to show many other people with this issue (there was a couple, one of which was responded to with "there's a hotfix for this out now" back in december)

That's a different issue apparently, that they're aware of and are having issues pinning down. I've seen it a couple times myself, and there's seems to be no consistency to it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Been playing online some. Got beaten up by some of the best players in the game 1 V 1; 5/5 would buy again.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

reignofevil posted:

Been playing online some. Got beaten up by some of the best players in the game 1 V 1; 5/5 would buy again.

Are you Tarzan?

I've been making my way up the ladder and finally hit a point where people seem to be competent. Need to put in a long session actually focusing on the game and see where I end up.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gibbo posted:

Are you Tarzan?

I've been making my way up the ladder and finally hit a point where people seem to be competent. Need to put in a long session actually focusing on the game and see where I end up.

No I actually play under ncgamewizard. Do you play as Gibbo because that is ringing a weird bell.

Edit- I'm thinking of Garmuul

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 20, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I feel like I'm finally getting better, though I wish I hadn't waited 40 hours to realize that if you plunk your HQ down on resources you get them and that's why everyone can upgrade to level 2 inside of 30 seconds :D

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did they fix the matchmaking bug?

I always want to play as Scientific and it's really hard to get momentum going since you can't fast upgrade to Level 2 if you're trying to keep fuel prices and recurring costs in check.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

reignofevil posted:

No I actually play under ncgamewizard. Do you play as Gibbo because that is ringing a weird bell.

Edit- I'm thinking of Garmuul

Nope I don't use this name. And I'm not Garmuul either. I haven't actually manned up and played with any of the top guys yet. Partially because Kingmorgan or any of the european guys are just wrapping up as I'm waking up and I'm too groggy to hop on and play.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I haven't had any trouble matchmaking.

I have had a weird situation just a moment ago where I was in a 4 person FFA; yet one person did not join at all. Another person just didn't found. Furthermore my name was now some other players! Even stranger; after defeating my single opponent the opponent who wouldn't found was revealed to have.... my name!

I defeated myself. Felt odd really.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wow, so, interest in THAT died out pretty quick :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah. It's fun but only for a short time, I'm not finding much replayability value in it at all, even in MP :shrug:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Efexeye posted:

wow, so, interest in THAT died out pretty quick :)

I still play regularly.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah. It's fun but only for a short time, I'm not finding much replayability value in it at all, even in MP :shrug:

Are you bad?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gibbo posted:

Are you bad?
Woah woah woah.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves; you never stop being bad at Offworld Trading Company you just start being occasionally good.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I imagine that a lot of people would just try the same poo poo every map, and then blame the game because they only ever do the same thing.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
I kept getting disconnecting from every single game I tried to play, and nobody joined any time I hosted. And I just got bored of only being able to play half games

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah there's not a lot of deeper strategy Rita's out there than OWTC and a pretty good core. Maybe we could organize some sa tourneys to get a community started?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I cannot beat a skirmish at all and so I cannot try the campaign! I keep winding up with earth shattering amounts of debt, 100k is bad right? I try to specialize a bit at the start, like when i take scientific to take a bunch of steel mills, but should I be more worried about generalizing so I don't autobuy necessities and go into debt? I never seem to get to the point where I have enough money to buy more than one share out of anybody.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

vorebane posted:

I cannot beat a skirmish at all and so I cannot try the campaign! I keep winding up with earth shattering amounts of debt, 100k is bad right? I try to specialize a bit at the start, like when i take scientific to take a bunch of steel mills, but should I be more worried about generalizing so I don't autobuy necessities and go into debt? I never seem to get to the point where I have enough money to buy more than one share out of anybody.

Focus on getting into whatever three core items you need to level up your HQ. Also try to found on top of a bunch of resources and to sell them right at the start so you can upgrade in like 10 seconds. Getting out ahead of the AI and staying ahead is the key to victory. Do try and avoid debt but you can usually do pretty well as long as you remember to build a bit of power by or at HQ 3.

Edit- Also one of the better players in this game (top 10) called the AI "Surprisingly good"; so don't be ashamed to lose sometimes!

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

vorebane posted:

I'm in the same boat. I want to enjoy this game but can't beat a regular skirmish or mission at all, it's generally not even close. I'm usually pretty good at these types of games, but can't seem to figure this one out. The Youtube videos I've watched have not been helpful.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

reignofevil posted:

Focus on getting into whatever three core items you need to level up your HQ. Also try to found on top of a bunch of resources and to sell them right at the start so you can upgrade in like 10 seconds. Getting out ahead of the AI and staying ahead is the key to victory. Do try and avoid debt but you can usually do pretty well as long as you remember to build a bit of power by or at HQ 3.

Edit- Also one of the better players in this game (top 10) called the AI "Surprisingly good"; so don't be ashamed to lose sometimes!

Ok, what about losing always? Cuz the tab of my previous skirmishes is a unending tide of losses.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The problem with taking real time strategy serious enough to do ladder and stuff online is that, once you 'get good', you can't play with friends anymore. You can try to deliberately sabotage yourself and will still outplay a friend you're visiting who doesn't give a poo poo about these games. I played serious enough in starcraft 2 to get to low platinum in singles in the second season. Not 'good', but 'way loving better than my friends or their friends'. It's not fun to me, to just be good at ladder, I would rather be having fun with people I know.

There are also certain kinds of RTS where I simply prefer the AI and campaign, like C&C, and this game.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I'm in the same boat. I want to enjoy this game but can't beat a regular skirmish or mission at all, it's generally not even close. I'm usually pretty good at these types of games, but can't seem to figure this one out. The Youtube videos I've watched have not been helpful.

What videos were you watching? What really helped me was watching the 1v1 Launch tournament with Zultar and Kingmorgan casting. (and actually paying attention)

vorebane posted:

100k isn't that bad. The actual value isn't that important, just the Bond grade. A worse bond grade means you're paying more interest every night, which is money gone to nothing.

Ask yourself next time, why are you taking a bunch of steel mills. Is it profitable? Do you have other options. Would you be better off taking other things and just buying the steel? Are you behind the curve in upgrades so the price of upgrade mats has already jumped up ahead of you? Are you actually using the black market?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
On the contrary, I'm not talking about this game because I only play it with my friends. It's kinda hard to pin down, but the vibe I get from it is "real time board game" so I mean that's kinda how it's fit in with my crew. We're not that interested in laddering or 1v1ing or even the campaign, we just sit down and go for it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

vorebane posted:

Ok, what about losing always? Cuz the tab of my previous skirmishes is a unending tide of losses.

One thing to consider is that the way a skirmish's settings and a multiplayer game's settings differ.

Specifically; in a skirmish the default setting is that the map is obscured and explored via scanning. While this can feel very flavorful it also can mean you end up with a much worse start than the AI. Have you tried changing the setting so that you can see the entire map by default so that you can make certain that you like everything about your found?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Well I've managed to beat a skirmish and then the campaign actually!

I am definitely always the last guy to found though, I scan basically everything before I decide.

What worked for me was starting with base building materials, level 2 choosing what I want to have adjacency bonuses, and otherwise working towards keeping on top of power fuel and life support needs. Also using the black market relentlessly helped.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

vorebane posted:

Well I've managed to beat a skirmish and then the campaign actually!

I am definitely always the last guy to found though, I scan basically everything before I decide.

What worked for me was starting with base building materials, level 2 choosing what I want to have adjacency bonuses, and otherwise working towards keeping on top of power fuel and life support needs. Also using the black market relentlessly helped.

There is nothing wrong with being last to found; a lot of the best players will wait until their opponents have founded and then base their strategy around making their opponent completely miserable.

BlackMagic punished me one time for daring to go Water Scientist without any good steel access. He beat me in like six minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Steam sale came around and I saw something about a financial RTS and just bought the thing. I'm going through the tutorial and I'm going to learn this game god damnit.

If anyone wants to come back and learn it with me let me know it sounds fun.

• Locked thread