Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This thread is to chat about the goings on...going ons...the stuff happening at rookie mini camps, OTA's and training camp.

Miami is taking a very different approach to rookie mini camps:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/05/miami-dolphins-unveiling-a-radical-idea-for-rookie-minicamp.html

quote:

The Miami Dolphins will have their eight draft picks and 10 undrafted free agents in town beginning Thursday, and rookie minicamp will go from Friday to Sunday. And the rookies will not touch the field at the team's training facility once during those three days.

No pads. No helmets.

No practice during minicamp.

Brilliant!

No, really. This is happening. And it is really smart. And radical.

Adam Gase has been planning for months as coach of the Dolphins -- and for over a year before he became an NFL head coach -- how he would handle something that seems so mundane to the rest of the world as a rookie minicamp. And he's got ideas. And he's implementing those this week.

And they will not include actual practices on the field.

Instead Dolphins rookies will spend all their time during this minicamp in classroom sessions learning how to be Miami Dolphins. That means they're going to get schooled on the schemes they're playing, their assignments, and everything football that involves the brain.

But they're also going to get a little polished up as people. They're going to get life labs to help them with nutrition, financial planning, sports science, and dealing with the media -- the last of which is a big part of their job believe it or not.

The point of all of this is two-fold and here is the genius part, in my opinion.

Gase wants to combat the rookie wall syndrome that seems to stop some rookies dead in their tracks come late November or December. There is a theory these young men hit that wall because they're playing four preseason and 16 regular-season games in the NFL and usually play 12 games -- maybe three more if they're on the best teams -- in college.

There may be validity to that.

But this: The Dolphins understand every single one of these rookies regardless of where they went to school, just played their 2015 seasons and as soon as that was over they began training.

They trained for the Indianapolis Combine.

They trained for their Pro Days.

They trained for the various workouts they did for teams privately.

And they also spent much of the past six weeks or so flying all over the United States (greatest country on Earth) to meet with the various team coaches, general managers and others who might be deciding whether to pick them.

That takes a toll. So Gase believes it's time to take the foot off that pedal for these rookies. He doesn't want to burn them out physically.

Meanwhile, Gase wants these guys more mentally ready to be a factor the next time they get on the field, which will be with veterans. Dolphins vets have been in their conditioning program for four weeks and just had a minicamp of their own where they got coached on the playbook and such.

So Gase wants to get the rookies as caught up as possible up mentally as quickly as possible so when they get on the field, there is less hesitation and they play faster.

So what's the downside?

The Dolphins don't think there is any but if you have to nitpick, it means the Dolphins won't be bringing 30-40 players to camp as tryouts. Teams typically do that so they can actually field a weekend of rookie minicamp practices. The players gladly come for a chance to catch someone's eye and get a big break.

None of that this year.

So do the Dolphins miss out on an opportunity to find ... to find ... I cannot think of a player who was discovered as a tryout and went on to greatness in the NFL. Not this century, anyway.

The Dolphins simply believe their energies should be better focused on getting the 10 or so rookies that are actually going to make this team ready to contribute as quickly as possible rather than finding that improbable one kid who comes out of nowhere and takes the team to the Super Bowl.

I think the odds favor the Dolphins in this regard.

The Dolphins recently had a veteran minicamp. Here are some highlights of that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

(greatest country on Earth)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here, have a picture of Belichick jr taking questions today:

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Sean Lee status: Just had his knee scoped :ohdear:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/04/30/pro-bowl-linebacker-sean-lee-undergoes-offseason-knee-scope

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

So unchanged.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I would be down with Bengals stealing Miami's idea.

(First time I've ever thought that, for sure.)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So the Patriots convinced offensive line god Dante Scarrnecchia to come back after a two year hiatus in which the Patriots OL fell to pieces.

He gave his introductory interview, and boy does he sound... tired

quote:

“It is a tough decision. You get pretty used to a very nice lifestyle. I’m going to tell you, I like retiring now. Retirement was great. It was a lot of fun. We saw things we hadn’t seen ever, took trips, and spent a lot of time with our grandkids. All that was great. To a degree, it’s very, very, hard to give up,” he said.

“But we talked about it, my wife and I, and decided that this would be a good thing on a lot of different levels -- as far as the grandkids being able to come to the game for free, and just be part of it all. And I like coaching football. I love coaching football. I didn’t retire because I didn’t like coaching football. I retired because I got tired of the lifestyle. After two years off, I’m OK.”

“When I got back, the second day we were in a 14-hour personnel meeting and I said, ‘Oh my God.’ But it’s all right. … Hours are long, days are long. It’s a tough business. It’s a really tough business. I was willing to step back into it despite all that."

Please just last until Brady retires Dante.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Eifert Posting posted:

I would be down with Bengals stealing Miami's idea.

(First time I've ever thought that, for sure.)

I like the idea a lot, the more I think about it.

The rookie mini camp is fun to follow along on Twitter, but I question how useful it actually is. At best, you start hearing some buzz about an UDFA who then disappears completely when training camp begins. The stuff Gase has planned seems like a potentially more productive use of the limited time teams are allotted to spend with their rookies.

I also like that this is evidence that Gase isn't afraid to challenge conventional wisdom and approach things from a new perspective.

lol we'll have a new coach in 3 years

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

So the Patriots convinced offensive line god Dante Scarrnecchia to come back after a two year hiatus in which the Patriots OL fell to pieces.

And figuratively put a bullet behind Marcus Cannon's ear. :commissar:

My camp predictions:

4th round WR Malcolm Mitchell re-injures his previously injured knees
7th round WR Devin Lucien is talked up like Randy Moss 2.0 for making a diving sideline grab in 7-on-7 drills

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ehud posted:

I like the idea a lot, the more I think about it.

The rookie mini camp is fun to follow along on Twitter, but I question how useful it actually is. At best, you start hearing some buzz about an UDFA who then disappears completely when training camp begins. The stuff Gase has planned seems like a potentially more productive use of the limited time teams are allotted to spend with their rookies.

I also like that this is evidence that Gase isn't afraid to challenge conventional wisdom and approach things from a new perspective.

lol we'll have a new coach in 3 years

Three is generous. Ross isn't getting any younger he's got to maximize his team fuckery!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Kalli posted:

Jesus Christ that sounds like he does not want to be there. Poor old dude just wants to play with his grand kids.

Also I can't believe he had to pay for tickets after coaching for the team for decades. Christ NFL teams are cheap.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

According to TE Garrett Celek, Blaine Gabbert has been "definitely taking control" as the starting quarterback at 49ers' voluntary workouts.

"Whoever’s at quarterback needs to take control and be our leader out there. And he’s definitely doing that," Celek said. "I think he’s definitely developing more and more as the days go on." Gabbert is the unquestioned No. 1 quarterback at these very elementary workouts because Colin Kaepernick (thumb, knee, shoulder) remains on the shelf and isn't expected to be cleared until June 1. When Kap does gain clearance, he and Gabbert are expected to compete for the starting job. Gabbert is getting an early leg up in coach Chip Kelly's new offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjDeRBwO_7U

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/BairCSN/status/727962238879866880/photo/1

This is great news. Edwards was a pretty controversial second round pick last year but once he started after Justin Tuck's injury, he had a very good rookie season before being shut down with a neck injury that was called career threatening. Raiders have been very Al Davis-like Cloak-and-Dagger on his status since.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/jimtrotter_nfl/status/728628459417690112

Copycat league now not even waiting to see if an idea works!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I find it real interesting that on Sirius XM Ross Tucker was going on about how rookies don't get a break from summer practices their senior (or last) year until their first NFL offseason about 2 weeks ago. It seemed out of the blue and I wonder if it's something that was discussed during the owners meeting or during the draft in inner circles

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/728625955141341185

Okay then.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs rookie came underway:

https://twitter.com/JennaLaineBucs/status/728673039546654720

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/05/post-practice-sunday-update-on-whitesides-injury-heats-adjustments-and-more.html

quote:

Four years after unsuccessfully trying to sign him, the Dolphins finally got Peyton Manning in their building this offseason. And it was entirely his idea.

It speaks volumes about new Dolphins coach Adam Gase that Manning chose to quietly visit Dolphins headquarters earlier this spring to meet with Gase (his former offensive coordinator in Denver) and share some knowledge with Ryan Tannehill.

“It was really cool,” Tannehill told me. “A guy that had his career, the living legend he is, coming off a Super Bowl winning season --- it was really cool just to be able to sit and pick his brain about things he's done in this offense and football things in general: snap counts, things you like, the way you want guys to run routes, little details about the game. We really just got to talk the game, which is something we both love.”

Manning, who is now retired, told Tannehill some of the nuances of Gase’s offense.

“At that time, we weren't able to meet with the coaches or anything, so I didn’t really have a great handle yet,” Tannehill said. “So I wasn't really able to dive into the playbook too much. So I had a few questions [for Manning]. If he comes back now, we can have a completely different conversation.”

What was clear, Tannehill, said is that Manning “respects Adam. The things they did, getting to a Super Bowl together, there is a mutual respect there. He is something I aspire to be, as good or better as he is one day. Hopefully, we'll be able to get him to come around some more.”

if you spend time with somebody you absorb some of their skills right

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

rotoworld with the #hardtruths

quote:

Sam Bradford will report to the Eagles' facility on Monday, ending his two-week holdout.

Look at that. Bradford decides to show up to work. After stomping his feet and throwing a temper tantrum about the Eagles using the No. 2 overall pick on Carson Wentz, Bradford pouted at home for a couple weeks because he wasn't being handed the starting job. Maybe he took a long, hard look in the mirror at his average self and realized he hasn't done a thing to be handed an NFL starting gig. Now, Bradford and Wentz can get on with this summer competition.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Is "he talked to Peyton" going to be the NFL version of working out with Hakeem?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Peyton "Defense Wins Championships" Manning

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is "he talked to Peyton" going to be the NFL version of working out with Hakeem?

Peyton did teach Austin Collie how to dream shake

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

They radiate from the forehead.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

oh gently caress football is gonna have its own hakeem

e: dammit I should read the thread first

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
I went to the Chargers rookie minicamp yesterday. Some of the highlights I could see:

Joey Bosa (DE and yes he lined up at DE in 3-4 formations despite what the pundits think he should do) was held out of about half the plays because he wrecked the rookies bad whenever he went all-out. He ended the day blowing up a TE and guard and sacked the QB.

Hunter Henry (TE) was a beast on offense. He didn't drop a single pass in his general direction (the rookie QBs can't throw accurately worth a poo poo) and outran the OLBs and Safeties that were on him. He really doesn't belong out there with the rookies and is probably more main roster-ready than even Bosa.

Max Tuerk (C) was present and did some limited individual exercises since he's still rehabbing from his ACL tear. I got to talk to him after the session was over. Really nice kid, excited out of his mind to be there despite the injury and was really happy someone talked to him because he wasn't getting anyone coming over.

Philip Rivers showed up with some of his kids. He wasn't allowed to throw, but his kids did, and it's really weird seeing them have the same sidearm throw motion that Philip does.

At some point the announcer was giving shout-outs to the head coaches. Ken Whisenhunt got a huge pop from the crowd. It was actually louder than when Rivers was announced to be there.

My mom got a Bosa jersey. :3:

Derek Watt (FB) looks like the real deal. Aside from being a lead blocker, he was pretty good at catching passes too. There's also another one that was picked out of the UDFA pool, Chris Swain, who also did pretty well so there will be competition for that position.

The new punter Drew Kaser can loving kick. Needs some work on shorter punts, but he looks a sight better than old-man Mike Scifres (I still blame Donald Brown for getting him murdered, he was never the same after that).

Mike McCoy is really uncomfortable talking to fans and it's plainly obvious he'd rather be doing literally anything else. It's not like he's a dick, just that he doesn't really know how to talk to a crowd. I don't blame him, it's really hard to do well.

The UDFA and FA quarterbacks the team picked up are bad. Mike Bercovici, and yes I looked up how to spell his name, had good pocket awareness and avoided a sack with a really nice sidestep but overthrew his pass. For the most part, accuracy is his biggest problem. He's got a good arm but placement is completely off (over and underthrown all the time). The fact that Hunter Henry still caught every pass thrown his way is pretty incredible.

Dexter McCoil, safety from CFL, did surprisingly well. He might have a real chance to make the roster if Jatavis Brown doesn't work out as a hybrid LB/S.

aperion fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 15, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/sdutGehlken/status/734834471216644097

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/735093750670708736

That's right Rexy baby, become Putin.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

How did Rex survive six years of NY tabloids?

fsif fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 24, 2016

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/735108116300374016

I wonder if the successful franchise will rub off on the less successful franchise, or if it goes the other way around. :ohdear:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Everybody but the Rams are practicing today

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bills beat writers are taking their new media restrictions well

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/735121829757603840

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/735124302748606464

Nov 6, 2002

Huh. I didn't think beat writers could do basic math.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

What new rules?

They can't say someone threw an interception?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

What new rules?

They can't say someone threw an interception?

It's a few posts up, but yeah, the beat writers watching the OTAs cannot report on dropped passes, interceptions, QB completion percentage, who is rushing the passer, etc

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

fsif posted:

It's a few posts up, but yeah, the beat writers watching the OTAs cannot report on dropped passes, interceptions, QB completion percentage, who is rushing the passer, etc

Thanks. Work filter killed twimgs the first time I loaded this thread.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
That's silly, but anything that upsets Mike Rodak is good

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

This is spectacular 100% all in on these new restrictions

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

*writes sternly worded letter on typewriter about 1st amendment*

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs also issued media rules just like the Bills ones posted above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightReaper
May 3, 2007