Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What is Freedom Force?
Released in 2002, Freedom Force is, well...it's a lot of things! It's a real-time strategy game, it's a role-playing game, but perhaps most of all, it's a campy and ridiculous love letter to old-school comic-bookery. It's an obscure little title that few people have even heard of, so as one of the three people on the planet who's ever played it, I figured it was high time to show it off.

Why should I care?
I mean, it's campy as hell, has great voice acting and a rampant physics engine. But if that's not enough, it might interest you to know that it was made by Ken Levine, who would later go on to make Bioshock.

All right, how about this LP then?
Glad you asked! This is going to be a video LP, and joining me on this trip are going to be fellow goons Yapping Eevee and Skippy Granola, who have basically never seen the game before. Updates may be as often as twice a week, Idunno man don't worry about it.

Oh, and this thread is gonna have a strict no-spoilers policy. Please please PLEASE don't talk about stuff we haven't seen yet. No, not even behind spoiler tags.

Didn't you try to LP this already?
yes shut up

VIDEOS

Issue No. 1: Frank Stiles, American Hero
Issue No. 2: Mentor, You're Gross
Issue No. 3: The Real Cold War Starts Here
Issue No. 4: El Diablo, Super Barrio All-Star
Issue No. 5: ICE TO BEAT YOU
Issue No. 6: In the Jimmy of Time
Issue No. 7: Everybody's Gone to the Raptors
Issue No. 8: I didn't review any of this footage
Issue No. 9: You Can't Fight City Hole
Issue No. 10: Schoolyard Escapades
Issue No. 11: Send in the Clones
Issue No. 12: A Lark in the Park
Issue No. 13: "You Nefarious Boob"

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Freedom Fridge

Once in a great while, some eager citizen will see fit to provide us with homemade renditions of our escapades. As stewards of this Let's Play, it is our responsibility to commemorate all such works of creativity great and small, and put them where everyone can see them. FOR FANART!

Our first submission is a picture of painted pathfinding peril by NullBlack, inspired by events that transpired during the first boss fight.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 15, 2016

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to this again!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Oh excellent, now I can actually see what this game is about because it is coded like garbage and would never ever play for me :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Roar posted:

Oh excellent, now I can actually see what this game is about because it is coded like garbage and would never ever play for me :v:

I mean, it takes some fiddling to work on Windows 7, but I can't exactly fault a game from 2002 for that. :shrug:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The actual best game about superheros has arrived.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Oh my goodness, I goddamn love this game. Action, amazing characters, camp, it hits all the right buttons for me as far as super heroics go. The only problem I ever had was I liked most of the characters far too much to ever pick between any of them. I'm stoked to see you playing this, and I can't wait to see Minuteman clobber all of the bad guys with Stiles.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I was absolutely garbage at this game but I remember watching my brother play it. I have absolutely no memory of it besides that and the heroes looked pretty cool. I can't wait to see if this dredges up any memories.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
This game seems neat.

How long until we meet knockoff Doctor Doom?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I remember using the custom hero creator to do some hilarious combos. You can actually take the baseline gun thug, boost the range, accuracy, and knockback of his ranged attack, and get a hilariously powerful "hero" for a fairly low prestige cost.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pyroi posted:

How long until we meet knockoff Doctor Doom?
These games are pretty good about there being very little in the ways of obvious ripoffs (as far as I can tell anyway) but they manage to provide a perfectly believable bunch of superheroes and villains anyway. Guys like that you coudl've read about.

Anyhow I can think of a couple characters with doomlike tendencies but they're still pretty far.

edit: Anyhow, for a bit of trivia, Minuteman's VA is a goon and IIRC he showed up in the last LP thread as well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 3, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Useless nonspoiler fact. One of the Default custom character models looked a hell of a lot like Darkhawk, who I had a soft spot fot :v:

Point values are also all over the loving place if you look at the stats of enemies in the creator. Due to the mechanics, there are generic minions have point values higher than some bosses just to give them their gimmicks.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 3, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

anilEhilated posted:

These games are pretty good about there being very little in the ways of obvious ripoffs (as far as I can tell anyway) but they manage to provide a perfectly believable bunch of superheroes and villains anyway. Guys like that you coudl've read about.

Anyhow I can think of a couple characters with doomlike tendencies but they're still pretty far.

edit: Anyhow, for a bit of trivia, Minuteman's VA is a goon and IIRC he showed up in the last LP thread as well.

Well, if he's the same guy who did the voice for Man O' War, then yeah, he's a goon. Even showed up for another LP.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I never played this game because IIRC at the time the studio could only publish either this game or 'the lost,' which was bought by an Indian studio and released as AGNI: Queen of Darkness, as a weird Dante's Inferno mixed with Hindu mythology that I bought from an Indian website because it wasn't for sale in the US and I really wanted to play 'the lost.' I will never play this game, ever, for that betrayal.

But I can watch this Let's Play. Looks fun.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

my dad posted:

I remember using the custom hero creator to do some hilarious combos. You can actually take the baseline gun thug, boost the range, accuracy, and knockback of his ranged attack, and get a hilariously powerful "hero" for a fairly low prestige cost.

This game is many, many things, but it is not what I would call balanced. Any illusion of skill comes from the fact that I've played the poo poo out of the first story arc. First volume? First paperback? Point is, expect some difficulty and expect some bullshit.

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, for a bit of trivia, Minuteman's VA is a goon and IIRC he showed up in the last LP thread as well.

I think it was only mentioned that he has an SA account, but hey, fingers crossed!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
pyf alliterations itt

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember playing the heck out of this game's demo back in the day.

Never got into the crazy physic abuse though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

I remember playing the heck out of this game's demo back in the day.

Never got into the crazy physic abuse though.

Ban this filth

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I was stupid back then and far more concerned with 'REAL AMERICAN HEROES PUNCHING REAL AMERICAN THREATS IN THE FACE.'

Also it was just the demo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I should probably mention that freedom force is available on both Steam and GOG. Also, if you want to play it for yourself but suffer from a terrible pathing bug, there's a wee bit of fiddling needed to make it work. Basically, you're gonna need to run Steam as an administrator in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3, and run Freedom Force itself in compatibility mode for Windows 98. This at least fixes things for me on Windows 7.

Yes, that's really how you fix it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is an excellent as heck game

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I knew this game was going to be great as soon as the cheesy 50's sci-fi trailer voice kicked in. The Kirby Krackle effects and the VO's ability so SPEAK IN BOLD CAPS only made it better.

Of course, being able to throw cars and cause hilarious physics doesn't hurt either!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I can safely say you've seen nothing yet. These games are forgotten gems.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I loved making custom heroes in this thing. You can get some really busted combinations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you

hey

yeah

you

why havent you started watching this yet

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
This game had a rich modding community, there were a couple sites dedicated to custom meshes and textures. Sure there were some blatant ripoffs of comic book heroes, but far more of them were for adding all new types of heroes the stock game should have had. There was even a dedicated fanfiction site with some truly solid storylines.

Hope you can avert the Let's Play curse, looking forward to reliving some good game memories.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rabidredneck posted:

This game had a rich modding community, there were a couple sites dedicated to custom meshes and textures. Sure there were some blatant ripoffs of comic book heroes, but far more of them were for adding all new types of heroes the stock game should have had. There was even a dedicated fanfiction site with some truly solid storylines.

Hope you can avert the Let's Play curse, looking forward to reliving some good game memories.

"Had"? There's a modding forum that's still active to this day.

...like literally today.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I had some real fun with this game back in the day.

One of you should probably clean up your background audio, though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I had some real fun with this game back in the day.

One of you should probably clean up your background audio, though.

That would be Eevee. Worry not, I'm more aggressive with audio editing in future videos whenever anything worthwhile is going on.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Is... is Mentor voiced by The Brain of Pinkie And The?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Between missions, I'm going to be keeping track of the enemies and heroes we've come across so far, and some thoughts from me and my commentators on each. But before that, a brief rundown of what the hell you'll be looking at is in order.

First, there's stats.

Strength translates to a melee damage bonus, and dictates how much a character can lift.
Speed is movement speed.
Agility is dodge chance.
Endurance determines hit points. That having been said, hit points seem to vary wildly even among characters with the same Endurance so who the gently caress knows.
Energy is actually the rate of energy regeneration.

Each stat has a rating from 1 to 10, with 10 being the best. Characters can also have attributes, properties which can be beneficial or, well, not. I'll talk about 'em if they're particularly interesting.

Powers are the attacks and abilities you see being thrown around during missions, and we won't be going too in-depth on those here. Just the broad strokes if anything.

Heroes

MINUTEMAN
Strength: 6
Speed: 5
Agility: 5
Endurance: 4
Energy: 4

Traits: Jumper, Disciplined

Lizard Wizard: Minuteman has two strengths - application of blunt force, deflection of bullets, and old-fashioned charm.
Yapping Eevee: Lizard Wizard can sure count to two. Mind you, as a non-American I'm not sure I'd call Minuteman's shtick charming. More... 'laughable'.
Lizard Wizard: Can't it be all three?

MENTOR
Strength: 3
Speed: 4
Agility: 4
Endurance: 4
Energy: 5

Traits: Disciplined

Lizard Wizard: Ah, the space goober. Decent at mind games and supporting the rest of the team, but also kind of insufferable? I can't help but notice that he's strictly weaker than Minuteman in terms of total stats.
Yapping Eevee: Mind wizards aren't big on that physical fitness lark. He'd probably be hovering, but I suspect that dome and those shoulderpads make him too top-heavy.
Lizard Wizard: Hey, YOU try lifting yourself.

Foes

THUG WITH BAT
Speed: 3
Agility: 2
Endurance: 3
Energy: 1

Traits: Timid, Weak Minded

Lizard Wizard: With Timid, these guys have a 5% chance of becoming panicked whenever they take damage. They're only really a problem in groups.
Yapping Eevee: The Goomba of this game. Also, it looks like Patriot City has a bad case of male-pattern baldness.

THUG WITH GUN

Traits: Timid, Weak Minded

Lizard Wizard: Eesh. These guys are well capable of loving you up if you're not on your toes. Thankfully, the game gives you ways to contend with them.
Yapping Eevee: I imagine these guys could be much more dangerous for other, less shielded/CC-minded heroes.

THUG WITH BOMBS
Energy: 2

Traits: Weak Minded

Lizard Wizard: Unusually beefy.
Yapping Eevee: Since there's penalties for getting buildings destroyed (entirely), some measure of caution is probably advised around these mooks.

O'CONNOR
Agility: 1

Traits: Crack Shot, Weak Minded

Lizard Wizard: Man, this guy existed for what, two seconds? What can I even say?
Yapping Eevee: A sensible man who didn't fancy a quick trip to street level.

SUKHOV
Speed: 4
Agility: 1
Endurance: 5

Traits: Crack Shot, Disciplined

Lizard Wizard: We MIGHT not have seen the last of this guy just yet. Just a hunch.
Yapping Eevee: You'd think he'd have at least lost the hat while on American soil, but hey. Comic books!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 7, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Lizard Wizard posted:

SUKHOV

Lizard Wizard: We MIGHT not have seen the last of this guy just yet. Just a hunch.
Yapping Eevee: You'd think he'd have at least lost the hat while on American soil, but hey. Comic books!

The fact that he's wearing tights instead of slacks is kind of a dead giveaway.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Hot drat, I need to bookmark this in case I ever find my install discs again.

Bliss Authority posted:

Is... is Mentor voiced by The Brain of Pinkie And The?

It's a very good impression, but IMDB says no.
There's not a lot to the Freedom Force page either, besides the VAs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DraconicImpulse posted:

Hot drat, I need to bookmark this in case I ever find my install discs again.

It's on Steam and GOG :ssh:

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's on Steam and GOG :ssh:

That may be true, but I've owned at least 2 physical copies of the game and I'd like to have something to show for it besides a free Wal-Mart Connect℠ Internet Service disc (only $9.94 per month after FREE trial!).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ooooo....

This game, the BEST superhero game.

Gotta go find my discs and play along.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Issue No. 3: The Real Cold War Starts Here

Long story short, Mentor just won't shut up.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Are there any mods you'd recommend?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Are there any mods you'd recommend?

Freedom Force X adds a LOT of options for character creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Edit:Nevermind,I'm good.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 7, 2016

• Locked thread