Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
tfw your potential team is entirely inSANEly sexy anime babes

Nemo, Storied Traveler

"Foul beast, witness the might of the ancestors! Blooming Spirit Fiesta, ku-*cough*"

Nemo isn't like the other Kobolds. His ears are long and cropped, he prides himself on his patience and mastery rather than inquisitiveness, his diction is practiced (almost theatrical), and he has little interest in engineering or technology.

Oh, and he isn't a Kobold at all.

No one is really sure where Nemo and his leathery (and equally strange) traveling companion Gilfrey came from - and Nemo isn't terribly interested in disclosing that information. Fortunately the Kobolds he has spent a lot of his time with don't seem to particularly care about his history as long as he's willing to pull his weight and put food on the table.

And Nemo does just that; His skill with a longsword and his lust for the flourish and theater of battle have not only brought home the bacon, the pair have risen through the Guild ranks with alarming speed. In fact, whispers of nepotism, favoritism, and plain old bribery can be heard behind Nemo's back whenever the young... whatever he is, takes a break at the tavern. He doesn't let it get to him though, his singing blade and, uh, "beautiful" words speak for themselves. Now the pair are looking for a more stable group to deflect some of their criticism and to hopefully find a place to finally call "home".

So I'm trying to do something weird here based on Fire Emblem Fates' Odin/Laslow/Selena characters, where they're actually from a previous game and basically weird dimension hoppers who take on new identities to blend in. Nemo and Gilfrey hail from an older FFTA-based Strike campaign on these forums, where they were Nero and Godfrey the magician pair. That part of their story can be as important or irrelevant as the game demands, but I loved the character and the idea of having to explain how he exists and wants to escape his old life interests me and it seemed like there was room to play with that with strange races who hail from different places in the lore.

I may edit this if by good friend Brennon decides to go with a different concept than porting Godfrey over like we talked about.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Q&A time.

You've got to have picked up some terrible snake oil in your day. What's the worst one you ever had to handle?

Oh, wow, where do I start? Let's leave out the stuff that just doesn't work, because you could trip over them with how many there are.

The ones that make you ill are pretty terrible! It's like they're doing the opposite of what they say on the label. I had one - Professor Scaverous' Superpower Salve - which claimed to have megammoth blood in to give you amazing strength and stamina. Instead, I began vomiting for like two days straight, because megammoth blood is TOXIC TO NORMAL PEOPLE. It took me a long time to recover, but when I did, I DESTROYED him in the columns.

The other contender is... I don't remember the name, but it had rare jewel fly wings in, some plants that are pretty common around here, you know. Pretty tricky to whip up, actually. It said that it would enhance your senses and make you a better fighter. Turns out? Hallucinogenic. A bunch of hunters found me wandering the forest six hours later with bare feet, giggling to myself. I think that's the only time my father was ever so worried he got mad at me. I've been extra careful to check the label and look the ingredients up ever since.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Anime game, eh? Very well. Here is some anime:

Moira Walsh, part of the inSANEly sexy anime babe problem, but most importantly a Diver of Questionable Renown

Moira grew up on Riverside, a regular human girl with a thus far relatively mundane life. Her father was a diver, her grandmother was a diver, and she is a diver as well. She differentiates herself from the rest of her family by claiming to specialize in salvage and recovery, although this is just a more glamorous way of saying she spends her time hunting for sunken treasures hoping to find a big score rather than fishing or hunting clams. Her biggest find to date was an abandoned, early grosspanzer, half-buried in the muddy riverbank and tragically encrusted with far more than it's fair share of rust. It obviously doesn't run, but her long-term plans chiefly center around changing this. It would be safer and easier, after all, to seek out bigger, more interesting, more exciting fortunes surrounded by thick armor plating instead of a swimsuit!

But they don't even make Calidyne Arrays for this type of grosspanzer anymore, and this is to say nothing of the myriad other problems the poor machine has. She's a capable enough tinker, sure enough, but some things are just out of her league. She's going to need some help.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 5, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

An Necessary Evil

What would you do to keep on living, what price would you pay?

What would you even be after it was all done

"Who... who am I?"

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 5, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Footage of Eliza's dad at work.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Countblanc posted:

tfw your potential team is entirely inSANEly sexy anime babes

Gilfrey, Unlikely Adventurer

"Oh this? There's no inherent danger present - unless I'm aiming at you. Which I would never do without a reason, of course."

Whatever else he may be, Gilfrey is at least very useful to have around, which explains why the kobolds would tolerate a mostly hairless, rotund, and grotesquely tailed person claiming to be 'one of them'. An alchemist and self proclaimed 'scholar', Gilfrey is somewhat out of his element in the frontier, but his skills have translated alarmingly well to a world of engines, combustion, and monster hunting. Never one to be limited by academic convention, he's sought to merge his knowledge and skills into a hybrid field of alchemy, engineering, and magic all his own.

He's taken quite a liking to technology really- it offloads a lot of the in the field work to preparation and planning - something Gilfrey absolutely adores. You don't even have to chant a phrase or draw a magical circle to do something great these days, just pull a trigger or yank a chain and you can move mountains (or theoretically cause grievous harm to others). While he still keeps his old books on hand, his new implements of choice are various mechanical weapons, the simplest of which is an old-model launcher with a few.. adjustments to it. He's joined up with the clan in fervent hope that he'll find some place to fit in, or maybe find some friends along the way.

Hyper Secret Secondary Character Concept

Ace, Hunter Extraordinare!
"Purr-pare to face my sensei's Lance technique!"

Deep in the oldest tomes, there are tales of ancient hunters who strode into battle against monstrous dragons armed with nothing but swords and bows. In even older tomes, if you read between the lines, you'll find mention of the true and trusty companions said hunters brought with them, a friend mostly lost to the annals of history: the Palico. Felyne. Something like that- what's important is technology has rendered the questionably useful companions somewhat obsolete, if not outright dangerous. It was all fun and games giving cats small swords and bombs, but when you give one control of a rail mounted machine gun, the laughing stops.

Ace, however, is not about to let the proud and storied tradition of his people die out. He has honed his skills in the wild, and has now come to answer Blue Valley's call. A master of weaponry, tactics, technology, and raw courage, he will show these upstarts the true spirit of monster hunting, and guide them to a glorious and successful future!

brennon fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 6, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Have you ever sent a hunter to their death?

"I've sent enough."

She makes an effort to avoid eye contact as she answers that.

"I run Guilds. Businesses. I feel for every single person who's worked under me. But guilt is the one thing they beat out of you in the Association. That's why the waivers, the fine print, all the paperwork to tell me where to send the last paychecks. Hunters know what they're risk every day. And I work hard to make sure that no job is way over their heads."

"It still happens."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
About four hours until close. I haven't had time to do much but work and shitpost today, so I apologize for the lack of questions for everyone. If you haven't gotten interrogated, don't worry! It isn't a factor in selection.

Picks will be made tomorrow morning.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Picks!

Bleu (ARB)
Radios (Velyoukai)
Guillaume (K Prime)
Gwenivere (Comrade Gorbash)
Nemo (Countblanc) and Gilfrey (brennon)

Initial business:

Countblanc and brennon - you guys are welcome to keep the from-another-world backstory, but I can't promise it's going to come up a lot in the course of the game. You're welcome to keep it as a detail and play into it whenever you like, but if that's going to be an issue, let me know and we'll work something out.

Everybody - needs sheets now. You should coordinate with your fellow players. Synergizing your class coverage is probably not a bad idea!

Your guild needs a name, a leader, and a general idea about how you came together. You'll start the game with your first big job, so you likely haven't known each other very long. Whether your leader is the ultimate authority or just the person who has to sign paperwork is up to you.

Finally, this game is going to be on the sandboxy side. If there is a particular thing you want to do, monster you want to hunt, or other special cool thing you'd like, please let me know. The inverse is true - if there's a particular thing you want to not have to deal with or just hate the thought of, now is the time to tell me.

Questions can be put to me in this thread or via PMs as you see fit.

Will anyone be unable to finish a character sheet and be ready to play by around Tuesday?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Probably a Buddy Defender here, though I might waffle on the role depending on what else we have. Probably not going to have a full kit, was thinking the medic-ey mini-kit and a general advance to let her talk to animals, I don't have my book nearby at the moment.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can definitely have my stuff ready by Tuesday. I'll probably post the final one on Monday some time since this weekend I'll be pretty booked but I'm gotten quite good at making Strike sheets quickly.

I'll likely do Duelist or Rogue, and either Defender or Striker. Multiple of both of those roles is totes kosher for good party composition so don't be afraid to pick them just because it's what I'm doing. For kits I'm either going to use the Gunslinger or the Wayfarer.

Regarding the world traveler bit, I'm totally fine with it just being a footnote the vast majority of the time - Hunters travel to exotic places and see weird and majestic things all the time, it's only natural they wouldn't bat an eye when a know-it-all rodent brandishing a sword told them he was here to slay.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I should be good to go for Tuesday.

The Archer most likely for class, though I'm going to consider the Warlord a bit. Blaster, Leader, or Striker for role, depending on what others are looking towards. For kits, I was planning on the Gunslinger, but I suspect I'd be picking different advances to Countblanc.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Shapeshifter Controller

No actual shapeshifting involved - the alternate form is his bike. Bike Dragoons!

pre:
    Motivation: Stay alive, feel alive, keep the danger rolling

Background: Outrider
    -Skills: Luring, Evasion, Crawler Connections, Crazy Ideas
    -Trick: Will knows how to cheat death on the run.
            When fleeing, he always knows the best path out.
    Origin: Too-Bold Kobold
    -Skills: Getting Lucky, Crew Connections
    -Complication: Too Crazy For a Crew

Wealth: Average (+1)

Kit: The Flame
    -Weakness: Adrenaline Rushes
    -Choices: King of the Chase (Driver)

Gear: MKX Y100 Bike (modified), Shotgun, Other Shotgun, Memento of the Miners

Tactical Combat

Class: Shapeshifter Knight Rider
    -Class Features: One-Form Shifter
    --At Wills: Mount Up (Blurred Form), Sideswipe (Primal Compulsion)
Transformation:
   Form of the Bull Bike
   --Bike Transformation
   --Bike Rush
   --Nimble Charge

Role: Controller
    -Powers: Control Boost, Sap Strength, Freeze

Feats: Sprinter

K Prime fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 13, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Tuesday no problemo.

Looking pretty solidly at either Magician/Blaster or Magician/Leader, depending on whether I think making mean items or kind items is more likely with monster gizzards.

Probably mean items!

Also, I vote for an everyday salaryman/farmer/miner for our Guild Master. Hunt for the people!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo is definitely NOT guildmaster material, he's joining explicitly to clear any suspicions of collusion and that'd just make it worse.

Also as for general requests, I have two:

Story: I'd like us to have a rival, or like, a rival group. Maybe not one immediately, but someone who beats us to a hunt, or directly competes with us in the rankings and is reoccurring.
Mechanics: When it comes to hunting giant mons it's easy to forget to make non-elite/champion enemies. Just make sure to include some standards/goons/stooges for our multi-target characters.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I'd dig for whatever scavenging and salvaging we do to have a narrative effect on Blue Valley as well as any mechanical, combat'y effects it could have for us directly.

Like makin' better/niche-specific farming tools or mining equipment, or discovering an ice dragon has a gland or organ that can keep making cold temperatures for a long rear end time, so we can harvest them for improved iceboxes/freezers for people to store food over time+winter.

Or special rock-monster salts that better season/preserve food and make sick rear end jerky!

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I'll likely be doing Scholar as my kit, with Leader as my role. I was possibly considering Bombardier for class, but if this is MH oriented I have to ask: can expect there to be crowds or more just instances of single enemies?

Once I get working on the sheet I'll have more to say. If it's not bombardier I'd expect Magician or something similar.

Countblanc posted:

Regarding the world traveler bit, I'm totally fine with it just being a footnote the vast majority of the time - Hunters travel to exotic places and see weird and majestic things all the time, it's only natural they wouldn't bat an eye when a know-it-all rodent brandishing a sword told them he was here to slay.

Yeah, I agree. The important part is the characters as they stand now, I don't have any expectation of past stuff coming up or being too important.

If we're looking for more of a pen pushing, bookkeeper leader Gilfrey is an outstanding candidate in my opinion. I like it conceptually too since it avoids putting any Ace Hunter Leader pressure on anyone, but if someone wants that go for it. As for guild names, I'm no good with them- we could always hold off and see what our first adventure holds and name ourselves appropriate if we want, however. I'll probably have more to ask/say once I put together my sheet (which will probably be tonight), as I'm a real fan of mechanic-flavour agreement.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

pre:
Name: Radios
Class: Magician (Chaos)
Role: Blaster
Background: Eccentric Monventor
Origin: General's Bastard
Kit: The Tinker
Resources: Poor [1]
Fallback: Not until level 2.
Motivation: To keep going forward and never look back.

Class/Role Abilities
Chaos Adept: When you roll a 6 on an attack, you get a Chaos Surge: you may choose to apply
an effect line from a randomly chosen Encounter Spell you don’t know instead of doing extra damage.
Multi-target Boost: Can choose to turn Ranged(X) into Burst 1, aimed within X's radius.
Center of Burst 1 may be moved 1 per value of Reach. If choose to not turn Ranged(X) to Burst 1,
when roll 3-4 on attack, deal 2 Dmg to another target within X. If 5-6, either deal 2 Dmg or 
effect of power to an additional target within range.
Terrain Boost: Within Ranged(5), can at-will:
  • 3x3 area of Difficult Terrain until end of encounter.
  • 3x3 area is Obscured (Pg. 94) until end of Radios' next turn.
  • Choose 1 square. It becomes Low Cover.
Feats Minor Leader: Once per encounter, you may slide an ally 3 squares as a Free Action. Additionally, once per encounter you may spend your Role Action to allow you or an ally to regain 2 HP (increase this to 3 HP at level 4 and 4 HP at level 8). Skills Harvesting Repairs Stitching Smithing Boasting Mixing Anatomy Stalking Tricks Experimental Harvester: Radios has been in the parts game for a few years now. He can always tell when a precious scrap or material is actually more dangerous to touch or eat than appearances would suggest. Stripes Never Fade: Even as a runaway who abandoned his unit, Radios can always tell the signs of another person who has served in the military. Complications Overly Proud Creator: Radios' core bullheadedness lies with preserving the dignity of his inventions. Even a quietly voiced concern will set Radios off on an awkwardly over-enthusiastic diatribe about his invention's value. Technically AWOL!: Radios didn't exactly leave his father and unit under good terms. Or under any spoken or agreed-upon terms at all, really. It's more that he just up and left one night and he hasn't been found. Yet. Stuff Daispida-stringed bow and arrows, a trusted Bag'O'Stuff, a strange invention called a "hookshot," an experienced slingstaff, pouches of jerky, goggles. Now a guild ID. Kit Advances Tinker Base: When you break down an item for scrap, talk shop with another expert, spend time preparing supplies, or gather a new tool or ingredient, gain a Supply Token. When you succeed at creating an item, you can spend three Supply Tokens to pick from the following list of special properties.
  • Really hot poo poo. Gives Advantage.
  • Really safe poo poo. Protection from plot x1.
  • Really stable poo poo. Counts as Trick for whoever uses it.
  • Really fun poo poo. Make stuff up with GM
Monstrous Fabriation: When using monster parts for crafting, declare properies of monster and roll related Skill. If successful, apply varying degrees of monster props to fancy poo poo. Pg. 43. Powers Sticky Bomb (At-Will, 2 Damage, Ranged 10) If the target attempts to move on its next turn, it must make a Saving Throw. If it fails, it falls Prone. Souridow's Venom Shot (At-Will, 2 Damage, Ranged 10) Target takes 1 Ongoing Damage and loses one point of Resistance if it has any. (save ends). (At level 5, on a failed save, the target is Vulnerable 1 until the end of the encounter.) Lambayay's Yawntrap (Encounter, 3 damage, Ranged 10) Target must make a Saving Throw. If it fails, it is asleep (Incapacitated) until it takes damage or until an ally spends an Attack Action to wake it while adjacent. Phosphorus Flashbang (Encounter, 3 damage, Ranged 5) Effect: Target is Blinded until end of its next turn. Rotten Meat (Encounter, 3 damage, Ranged 10) All of the target’s attacks have their damage reduced by 2(save ends).

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 20, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Settled on Archer Striker, with Blitzer and Mobility Boost. Still going with the Gunslinger kit, still working on the other parts.

One thing I was wondering is if any of us knew each other before we joined up in the guild. Gwen and Will in particular make sense as having a previous friendship.

For story requests, I always like trains and airships. Also, I'd like to see lingering stuff from the most recent war come up from time to time.

In regards to the Guild Leader, I think the first thing to decide is what role we want the leader to play. Then we can decide who should be in that role. I'm inclined to be somewhere between "just the person who signs the documents" and being the commanding officer who can give everyone orders. Sort of someone who can break ties in decisions and speak for us during negotiations, things like that, but is still answerable to the group.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
pre:
Name: Nemo
Class: Rogue
Role: Defender
Background: Clan Veteran
Origin: "Kobold"
Kit: The Wayfarer
Fallback: Not until level 2.
Motivation: To see the world and entertain himself (and others) while doing it.

Class/Role Abilities
Brawler: When you roll a 5 or 6 on any attack, choose one Status from the following list, apply it to the target, and cross it off. 
When you roll a 4, you may apply one of the Statuses if you forgo dealing your base damage.
- Prone
- Dazed until the end of their next turn
- Disarmed (only Basic Attacks, no damage on triggered or opportunity attacks) until the end of their next turn
- Immobilized and you (and only you) have Advantage on attacks against them (escape ends)
Stickiness Boost: +1 damage on Opportunities.
Defense Boost: When you take 3 or more damage, Resist 1. When you roll a 3-6, heal 1.

Feats
Minor Striker: Once per encounter, when you hit with an attack, deal +2 damage instead of using your
Role boost. Additionally, you gain Quick Shift as an Encounter power.

Skills
Longswordsmanship
Chuuni Intimidation
Formal Dialogue
Sprinting
Drinking
Sword Tricks (flourishes, etc. showboating)
Navigation
Haggling

Tricks
A Galaxy Far, Far Away: Nemo's unique origins allow him to spin amazing tales, captivating 
non-hostile audiences and making fast friends. 
Go Home and be a Clan Man: Clan life has prepared Nemo for tedious bureaucracy. He can 
fill out paperwork and do other medial tasks with speed and precision. 

Complications
Making a Deviljho out of a Jaggi: Nemo has a flair for the theatric and not everyone is so
amused by his over-exaggerations and boisterous speech.
Sweet Tooth: Unfitting of a hunter, Nemo actually prefers the sweet to the savory, and has
been easily distracted by offered treats before.

Stuff
Leather armor (decorated in non-functioning sigils), strangely dull longsword, a few remaining
confectioneries from his homeland, his journal, his guild ID.

Kit Advances
Wayfarer Base: When you enter a civilized place, etc. etc. it's too long to paste here.
Itinerant Artist: When you make a real life picture, song, poem, etc., of a place your group has
been or an encounter they've had, your character does that in game and you gain an Action Point.

Powers
Flank (At-Will, Move Action)
Special: Choose one enemy within 2 squares. Shift up to your speed to any square adjacent to it. Choose one ally adjacent to 
the same enemy. They may also shift up to their speed to any space adjacent to it.

Hasten (At-Will, Move Action)
Special: Move up to 2 squares. Increase your Initiative by 1. If your Initiative would exceed 7, it wraps around to 1 and you can act 
again this round.

Trap (At-Will, Move Action)
Special: Gain your speed in squares of movement. Designate an enemy. If that enemy ends its turn within 5 squares of you, you 
have Advantage on your next attack against in next turn.

Evasion (Encounter, Move Action)
Special:Gain your speed in squares of movement. Your movement this turn does not grant Opportunities, ignores Difficult 
Terrain, and you can move through enemies and obstacles, though not walls.

Sucker Punch (Encounter, Free Action)
Special: Make a Basic Attack without Advantage against an enemy you would normally have Advantage against. You do not get 
your Role Boost on this attack.

Action Trigger: You Call That a Punch, Kupo? (Role Encounter Reaction)
Trigger: An enemy hits you.
Spend an Action Point. The attack misses instead.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 9, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Proposal: A council of leaderships for different focuses in the guild.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I think there may be some miscommunication here, Vel. Right now your guild consists entirely of the player characters. That'd be a lot of bureaucracy for six people.

Unless you're suggesting "When situation X, person Y is in charge; in situation A, person B is in charge" or something along those lines. Though I figure that tends to happen naturally.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

pre:
Bleu Cornflower
and Tura and Keu

Background: Wildbreaker		Origin: Rūnian		Kit: Doctor

Skills:		Cooking, Foraging, Medicine, Navigation, Rūnic Technology*, Taming,
		Tracking, Weather Prediction, Wings*

Complications:	Scapegoat, Wanderlust

Tricks:		Pathfinder: Bleu can always plot the fastest route between two locations.
		Whisperer: Bleu can always communicate with animals (but not monsters).

Advances:	Emotional Power (Rūnian), First Aid

Class: The Buddies		Role: Defender  	Feats: Minor Striker**

Options: Super-Buddy, Defender Buddy		Role Boosts: Defense, Stickiness

Passive Effects: Aware, Big			Active Effects: Enervating, Handsy

At-Wills: Team Attack, Recall Buddy, Coordinated Attack, We Are One

Encounter: Boosted Buddy, You Call That a Punch?

* Emotional Power skill.		** Keu is the "minor striker" in question.

quote:

Wildbreaker

Wildbreakers are part of an older tradition that rely on trained animals to help navigate wild spaces.

Skills: Foraging, Medicine, Navigation, Taming, Tracking, Weather Prediction

Penniless [0]

Tricks: Whisperer: A wildbreaker can always communicate with animals.

quote:

Rūnian

An ancient people that once dominated the local landscape, they developed powerful magic based on rūnic technology, but only ruins and artifacts mark their presence. It is said they had wings like birds, and that they somehow achieved enlightenment and ascended to another dimension (by those that exalt them) or were destroyed by the gods for their own hubris (for those that demonize them). Whatever the truth is, their bloodline seems to remain amongst humanity, though those with it know to keep it hidden.

Skills: Rūnic Technology, Secret History, Wings

Complications: Scapegoat, Worshippers

quote:

Emotional Power (Rūnian): This assists with Rūnian skills, allowing her to activate their ancient devices and ruins, with increasing potency based on the level, or to use her wings with greater facility; generally they're best for gliding or assisting jumps or exploiting updrafts, but may be capable of more if she embraces her heritage. She also might be drawn to items and locales left behind by the Rūnians, and may be tempted to use their power. However, it's possible that if she gets drawn too far much into this power, she will meet whatever fate her ancestors suffered.

I'll nominate Subaltern Gwenivere Llewellyn as leader, since JRPG convention tells me the most "normal" character in a party is most likely to become the guiding light. As for guild name, well, how about Azure Parade, but that's just because I'm thinking Blue Valley + something vaguely that means walking + distortion of being translated badly by Japanese designers. And obviously, Bleu's design right now leans her towards discovering massive, Team ICO-like ruins (which no doubt also might have massive monsters nearby, of course). The idea of building up the valley is a neat one and I'd second it. Ancient mysteries to solve and hidden resources to uncover would be nice, too!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 8, 2016

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

pre:
Name: Gilfrey
Class: Bombardier (Lasting)
Role: Leader
Background: Alchemist
Origin: Nu Mou, uh, lookalike
Resources Poor [1]
Fallback: None Yet

Motivation
To find recognition for his abilities, and a place in the world (friends included!)

Kit: The Scholar
I've got it! (Baseline) - When you discover something strange or inexplicable, gain an Insight Token and write down the 
strangeness. You may spend three Insight Tokens to have a eureka moment about one of the things on your list. This is a 
sudden stroke of insight, equivalent to rolling a 6 on a knowledge roll. And yes, this can be used to learn knowledge Skills.

Broad Expertise (Alchemy) - Pick a fairly broad area of knowledge, such as History, Finance, or  Biology. You are an 
expert in that field. When researching or recalling information in that field, you gain a Bonus on a roll of 4 or 5 (as though 
you had rolled a 6). 

Skills:
Arcana
Potion Brewing
Machinery
Explosives
Dissuasion
Myths and Legends
Herbalism
Tea Preparation and Service

Tricks:
Focused Mind - When he has a moment to collect himself and focus on a task, Gilfrey's concentration can be nearly 
impossible to break.
Functional Insight - Everything worked once, and Gilfrey can make it work again. Broken down engines, faded 
enchantments, or even disused ballistae, Gilfrey knows how to make it work one last time.

Complications:
Dutiful Scholar - Gilfrey has an overwhelming drive to find out how or why the mysterious or complex works, 
regardless of if such investigations are safe or appropriate.
Terminally Lame - Unless he possess a position of unassailable advantage, Gilfrey is simply incapable of appearing 
threatening or awe inspiring.

Feats:
Lucky: Once per encounter you may force an enemy to reroll one attack against you. Once per encounter you may 
reroll one Saving Throw, escape attempt, or Panic Roll.

Powers:
Shaped Blasts:
Crosses: A cross or X shape extending 2 squares in four directions from the central square.
Cones: Essentially one fourth of a 5x5 square, divded along two diagonals (and including those dividing lines). In 
other words, a pyramid of 1, 3, then 5 squares.

At-Will:
Magitek Strike (Grenade): Range 10, 2 Damage, Effect - Create a zone including your target based on the Ammo you choose. The 
zone will last until the start of your following turn and have effects based on the type of Ammo you chose.

Aetherochemical Blast (Toxic Bomb): Ammo - Creatures starting their turn in the zone or entering it must 
make a Saving Throw. If they fail, they take Ongoing 2 Damage (save ends).

Near-field Pulse (Sonic Bomb): Ammo - All creatures in the zone are pushed 2 squares (pushed away from 
the bomb, not from you). Entering the zone costs 2 extra squares of movement.

Encounter:
Aerosolized Ether (Energizing Bomb): Friendly Ammo - Creatures starting their turn in the zone or entering it 
gain an extra Move Action.

Role:
Teamwork Boost: Gain the Tactics encounter power. When you roll a 5 or 6 on an attack, you gain an additional 
use of said power.
Tactics: Encounter - One ally of your choice may spend a Move Action immediately.

Heal: Ranged 5 - Target may regain Hit Points equal to half its maximum (round down). The target may pick one 
of the following options:
* If prone, stand up.
* Make a Saving Throw against one status that allows one or attempt to escape a Grab.
* Enemies have Disadvantage to attack the target until the end of the target's next turn.
* If this brings the target to full health, they may also choose to have Advantage on their next attack.

Try again!: Encounter, Reaction - Trigger: An ally makes an attack and dislikes the result. Spend an Action Point. 
The ally may reroll the attack.

Inventory:
Arcane tome, modified MK .7 launcher, reinforced Robe, shell casings, alchemy kit, Old-world Alchemist's Hat
Likewise, depending on what we want from a leader, I will nominate myself for a book keeping style one if that's what the party desires.

brennon fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 11, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I think there may be some miscommunication here, Vel. Right now your guild consists entirely of the player characters. That'd be a lot of bureaucracy for six people.

Unless you're suggesting "When situation X, person Y is in charge; in situation A, person B is in charge" or something along those lines. Though I figure that tends to happen naturally.

Mostly the latter, since just the PCs, yeah.

That said, I am not adverse to just picking up some pod farmer off the streets to be a figurehead guild leader, since other than Gilfrey, I don't think our party has much in the terms of "solid, non-volatile/alien reliability" in terms of leadership. *pot kettle*

I also haven't eaten yet today, though, so maybe I'll speak more sanely after food.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Only let Will lead if you want to sign up for endless dumb ideas involving ramping, monsters, and more ramping.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

The monsters part of that means more monster parts to research and turn into inventions. That's a strong campaign promise for Will!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think Gilfrey would make a good leader because he's woefully boring, a leader's greatest strength.

As for the name I feel it needs something more action-driven, and possibly something that expresses the unique makeup of the group. I mean we have basically-aliens, dogs on motorcycles, eccentric salesmen, magical delivery girls, and who knows what else. I suggest something like "Blades United".

For the record, Nemo would recommend "Hungering Blades: Hunters of the Final Prey".

I've also made a few changes to my sheet since I posted it (namely, I'm a rogue now because I didn't want to deal with "Guessing Game" in a non irl game)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Subaltern Gwenivere Llewellyn

"You'd think the first industrialized war, the first one driven by calidyne technology, would have provided enough combat to last a life time. But not for me. You'd never have guessed. I never did, until I was in the thick of it. I enjoy battle. And I'm good at it. Put a rifle in my hands and an enemy in front of me, I come alive. The more the better. The higher the stakes, the better. It's not that I like killing. It's the fight, putting it all on the line."

"I wasn't sad to see the war end. Most of the people caught up in it weren't like me. Putting them through that for my sake would be monstrous. But I am like me, and after a taste of that, I couldn't go back to civilian life. Back to being a seamstress? I could sew a dozen dresses for a queen and it wouldn't be worth one minute in a fight."

"Fortunately, there's another foe out there. I wasn't cut out for peace anymore, but hunting... there was something I could do."

quote:

Name: Gwenivere Llewellyn
Class: Archer (Blitzer)
Role: Striker
Background: Shocktrooper
Origin: Dressmaker
Kit: The Gunslinger
Fallback: Preperation
Motivation: Seek out challenges and take them head on

Class/Role Abilities
BlitzerC: When the target of your ranged attack is within 3 squares, add 1 to the attack roll if it is a hit. You may spend your Attack Action to move your speed and make a Ranged Basic Attack at any point along your movement.
Damage BoostR: When you roll a 2 to 5 on an attack, deal 1 extra damage to the target. When you roll a 6, deal 2 extra damage instead.
Mobility BoostR: Gain the Quick Shift power.

Feats
Sprinter: Increase your speed by 4. If you have unspent points of movement after your turn, you may spend them to move when it is not your turn. You may use this at any time, and if you use it in response to another event, it resolves as a Reaction.

Skills
CommandB
Fashion Designer O
FirearmsB
ForagingB
GossipO
IntimidationP
QuartermasterL
SoldieringB
Old War Buddies (Connections)B

Kit Advances
Always Carry a Spare: When you are disarmed, you have a backup. You always have extra ammo, too.

Tricks
Make It WorkP: A dressmaker can always make or alter clothing suitable for the occasion, no matter what it is.
Over the TopB: A shocktrooper can always find a way through, around, or over a physical barrier.
Scrounger: A quartermaster can always find a source for equipment or supplies, no matter how obscure.

Complications
Lost CauseB: Was on the side that lost the war.
ThrillseekerO: Can never turn down a challenge; the more dangerous, the better.

Powers posted:

At-Will
AimC: Attack - Instead of attacking, you pick any target you can see and aim at it. Aiming grants adjacent enemies an Opportunity as though you were making a ranged attack. If your next ranged attack targets the same creature you aimed at, any range restriction is removed and you have Advantage for the attack.

Area DenialC: Attack - [Rng 10/Dmg 2] Effect: Create a 3x3 (5x5 at level 5) zone centered on the target. Until the end of your next turn, any enemy that takes any action in the zone that doesn’t result in them leaving it, or that ends their turn in the zone, takes 3 damage (5 damage at level 9).

FlareC: Attack - [Rng 10/Dmg 2] Effect: The projectile attaches to the target and illuminates the area like a torch. The target can’t hide. The projectile can be removed by the target as an Attack Action but otherwise lasts until the end of the encounter.

Pin DownC: Attack - [Rng 10/Dmg 2] Effect: If the target moves more than 2 squares on its next turn (if it moves at all at level 5), it takes 3 damage (5 damage at level 9). If the target had a prepared action, it loses it. If anyone was Marked by the target, the Mark ends.

Quick ShiftR: Role - You may shift 1 square. (2 squares at level 8.)

Encounter
Rifle GrenadesC: Attack - [Rng 10/Dmg 3] Effect: Choose one effect from the following list:
  • Fragmentation: An explosive attaches itself to the target. At the start of the target’s next turn, it explodes, dealing 2 damage to the target and all adjacent creatures.
  • Incendiary: Ongoing 2 Damage and any creature that starts its turn adjacent or moves adjacent gains this same Status (save ends).
  • Smoke: Create a 3x3 zone centered on the target — the zone is totally obscured: creatures in the zone can’t see out, creatures outside can’t see in.
  • Foam: Target is Immobilized until it spends an Attack Action to end this Status.
  • Grapple: Target is Immobilized, escape ends. While it is Immobilized, you can spend a Move Action to pull the target up to 5 squares.
Special: When you roll a 2 on your Trick Arrow power, you must treat it as though you rolled a 5, but you have run out of that kind of ammo. Cross the effect off the list. (If you are making this attack in an area, you do not run out of this ammunition until all targets are resolved.) Finding the materials and crafting these Trick Arrows is difficult, time-consuming and expensive. You’ll have to find the downtime to make the Skill Rolls required if you want that particular ability back. Use all the usual rules in the Non-Combat section. This is a powerful ability, so the GM should not let you off easy.

Strike BackR: Reaction - Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack. Spend an Action Point. Make an attack against the triggering enemy.

Lightning StrikesR: Role - Gain an Attack Action and use it immediately, but do not get your Damage Boost on it.
Gear
J86 Carbine, K77 SMG, T65 Pistol, Satchel of Rifle Grenades, Military Jacket, Sewing Kit, Guild ID

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 3, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm generally against the idea of having a guild leader that's not part of the group.

Pick Gwenivere as your leader if you want someone who won't back down from a challenge, who thinks there's no such thing as overkill, cares about the thrill of the hunt over business matters, but also knows how to ramrod a squad and isn't naive about the practical requirements.

As for group name, I'm always partial to what I think of as side-ways names. Naming the group after the bar where the charter was drawn up, for example. Azure Parade would work for me; I'll see if I can think of other suggestions after I get some sleep.

Oh, and I meant to ask - would the group start with a crawler of some kind? I obviously don't expect us to have a full up tank, of course.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I think Gilfrey would make a good leader because he's woefully boring, a leader's greatest strength.

As for the name I feel it needs something more action-driven, and possibly something that expresses the unique makeup of the group. I mean we have basically-aliens, dogs on motorcycles, eccentric salesmen, magical delivery girls, and who knows what else. I suggest something like "Blades United".

For the record, Nemo would recommend "Hungering Blades: Hunters of the Final Prey".

I've also made a few changes to my sheet since I posted it (namely, I'm a rogue now because I didn't want to deal with "Guessing Game" in a non irl game)

Oh hell yeah, I love the name Blades United

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Nepotism at work!

That said, my in-party vote is for Gilfrey.

And what about those who don't even use blades? What about "Wildcard Hunters", or just "Wildcards," if we're appealing to the hodge-podge nature of our assembly?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Oh, and I meant to ask - would the group start with a crawler of some kind? I obviously don't expect us to have a full up tank, of course.

No, but maybe later. The real trick is going to be figuring out how to have crewing a tank be exciting. Giving the tank to just one person would be pretty lame, but so is having one poor bastard load. I'll think on it.

In the interim, you're hauling the cart full of monster parts back yourselves.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I got one picture for you:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

How about "Out of the Blue"?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fortunately, none of our current indecision will stop the game from starting.

Question for tomorrow, do you want me to throw you straight into the opening monster hunt or do you want to play out the hiring process?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fight.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I dream/dread to imagine what the hiring process would be like. If our guild master is one of the PCs, then doesn't that mean they tried to recruit the others?

I vote for either:

A. Hiring process iff Gilfrey GM

B. HUNTING FOR MATS that opens literally with an explosion please and thank you

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I... am indifferent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I'll do whatever the guild needs to succeed, and if that involves hiring PCs and NPCs alike I will take on the task with all of my strength.

• Locked thread