Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrggiRE7eDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

One does kind of wonder why now though. This kind of booking has been the norm for like a decade.

Perhaps its the recent trend in WWE placing value on success outside the company with guys like Styles, Owens, Zayn, Rollins and Ambrose, Joe and Aries, either earning them top level pushes or plush contracts in NXT?

I think this is half of the problem. The WWE puts a massive emphasis on toeing the company line and staying in place, then simultaneously puts a premium on people who act out of that place, make a big name for themselves elsewhere or differentiate themselves somehow--like, think about that infamous Vince Mcmahon podcast and the whole 'no one's grabbing the brass ring' thing. The WWE doesn't want you to succeed unless it's when and where they very specifically deem it to the point of squashing opportunities like Sandow and Ryder who succeed where they're not intended to, but then it also wants people who make a splash and take advantage of opportunities, and the recent inclusion of NXT dudes and external dudes has emphasized how insane the schism is. This is the company that ran The New Day into the ground, saw them get incredibly popular when let off their creative chain and responded by repeatedly pitching them on a breakup angle.

In Ryback's case, he's been pissy about this sort of thing before, he just recently got another gimmick reboot with the trunks-wearing beat-you-until-you-can't-move angry-man thing, probably felt good about it, then had it almost completely forgotten about immediately so he could repeatedly lose to a dude they're barely even putting on TV. It's a pretty sensible last straw.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Benne posted:

I dunno, I can understand why he'd be unhappy. He's had so many stop-start pushes that went nowhere and keeps falling into oblivion on the card, which is loving bizarre when he checks off most of the Vince Guy boxes (tall, cartoonishly muscular, over catchphrase).

I've never been a fan of the guy but I know he has an appeal, and if WWE doesn't have anything for him then striking out for greener pastures isn't the worst idea.

E: Who knows, maybe he'll tear up the indies and reveal there's an awesome wrestler hiding there underneath all the bland "WWE Superstar" trappings. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I've always liked The Ryback but I can see where he's coming from. I agree with you that he checks off all the VKM boxes, so I can see why he's frustrated that he's not on the top of the card.

My prediction is that he'll disappear for a couple months, eventually quietly re-sign and become an NXT redemption story.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CarlCX posted:

This is the company that ran The New Day into the ground, saw them get incredibly popular when let off their creative chain and responded by repeatedly pitching them on a breakup angle.

I'm honestly kind of dreading when its time for New Day to renew their contracts, because I think the only thing that's kept them from getting told less than a few hours before the cameras go hot that they're breaking up tonight so they have no time to protest it like what happened with the Shield is that threat that Kofi and Xavier will walk if the team ends. I think that's only a real threat because they're not making enough downside money in midcard town to make it worth biting the bullet like Ambrose and Rollins did.

I know its seems lovely to say "Man, I hope they don't make more money," but really, probably better for them to have their dream job, make people happier than pretty much anyone else in the company (if not the industry) and make the mad New Day Merch Money than to have two of them give up on their dream because Vince pissed on their last ember of joy and have Big E go back to not having a single shirt in the shop and never having a match outside of Main Event where he's not the job guy for REAL Main Eventers.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Steph remaking the picture of Shane and Vince was actually adorable.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

I'm honestly kind of dreading when its time for New Day to renew their contracts, because I think the only thing that's kept them from getting told less than a few hours before the cameras go hot that they're breaking up tonight so they have no time to protest it like what happened with the Shield is that threat that Kofi and Xavier will walk if the team ends. I think that's only a real threat because they're not making enough downside money in midcard town to make it worth biting the bullet like Ambrose and Rollins did.

I know its seems lovely to say "Man, I hope they don't make more money," but really, probably better for them to have their dream job, make people happier than pretty much anyone else in the company (if not the industry) and make the mad New Day Merch Money than to have two of them give up on their dream because Vince pissed on their last ember of joy and have Big E go back to not having a single shirt in the shop and never having a match outside of Main Event where he's not the job guy for REAL Main Eventers.

here swhat will happen if they break them up: kofi will retire, spend time with his family + punk; xavier woods will quit and get his PHD and then teach smaller xaviers and also probably be a minor videogameland celeb; Big E will be in the main event for ~4 months once vince gets another good look at him, then back to midcard to probably be a constant IC contender

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sanguinia posted:

I think the only thing that's kept them from getting told less than a few hours before the cameras go hot that they're breaking up tonight so they have no time to protest it like what happened with the Shield is that threat that Kofi and Xavier will walk if the team ends.

Is that really how they broke the Shield up? That hardly seems necessary.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
and hey none of those things are a negative especially since theyve already accomplished a ton with their own careers just by virtue of what they did with the new day. in addition, they p much allowed for a tag team revitalization and teams like enzo and cass to come up and gain immediate acceptance b/c tag teams + mic time was something they made worthwhile instead of tag matches (that werent the shield) kinda being meaningless fille routside of the single feud going on at any time

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

Is that really how they broke the Shield up? That hardly seems necessary.

WWE had been wanting to break up The Shield for a while before they actually did it, and each time failed because the three went "That would be stupid, don't do that." Then one time they were told "Yeah you're breaking up tonight" too late for them to argue about how it would be a stupid idea, and that was the night they broke up.

According to the New Day crew, rather than argue why breaking them up would be stupid, any time the possibility has come up, they've threatened to retire on the spot.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

every time i see goldust i think "wow he is so much better than stardust"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ostentatious posted:

Hell same.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
remember when big e was IC champ and so terrible on commentary and the mic that they made him sit at the announce table with no headset and ignored him

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

Does he still do the final cut because it's the best

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Great White Hope posted:

WWE had been wanting to break up The Shield for a while before they actually did it, and each time failed because the three went "That would be stupid, don't do that." Then one time they were told "Yeah you're breaking up tonight" too late for them to argue about how it would be a stupid idea, and that was the night they broke up.

According to the New Day crew, rather than argue why breaking them up would be stupid, any time the possibility has come up, they've threatened to retire on the spot.

I don't even consider it a threat tbh. Kofi has already said multiple times he's done when the team is over. I don't doubt for a moment Xavier is in the same boat. The only question is would Big E do the same?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't even consider it a threat tbh. Kofi has already said multiple times he's done when the team is over. I don't doubt for a moment Xavier is in the same boat. The only question is would Big E do the same?

I wouldn't be surprised of big e stayed around since he has such a higher ceiling than kofi or xavier. not to mention vince loves big e which can go a long way.

Xavier's ceiling was lower midcard at best and kofi would probably just go back to the midcard as well

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

goldust/dustin rhodes is one of the most underutilized workers of the last 25 years minus his tna stint of course

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

lol just when I was starting to like Ryback he throws a hissy fit and sabotages himself

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ostentatious posted:

I wouldn't be surprised of big e stayed around since he has such a higher ceiling than kofi or xavier. not to mention vince loves big e which can go a long way.

Xavier's ceiling was lower midcard at best and kofi would probably just go back to the midcard as well

I think Xavier's ceiling as a wrestler is midcard at best, but Xavier's ceiling as a manager is sky-high. If he never wrestled a match again they could still get their money's worth out of him for the next decade by just letting him be a mouthpiece for guys who can't talk.

If Big E can maintain this charisma and character comfort as a singles guy he's got world champ written all over him.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

goldust/dustin rhodes is one of the most underutilized workers of the last 25 years minus his tna stint of course

Ostentatious posted:

Goldust has been solidly amazing for years now. Stardust is well past any of us giving a gently caress but the Dust Brothers were a great tag team in the dark days before New Day and Enzo and Cass. I also really loved Bookdust and miss them still. Crazy how the guy can still go and he's pushing 50. I really hope that when Dustin retires they let him take over training like his ol man did. Definitely should be an instant HOF entry once he is done. There is a part of me that wishes they would let him get a brief run with the title as a thank you. It'll never happen but would be nice.

MotU posted:

here swhat will happen if they break them up: kofi will retire, spend time with his family + punk; xavier woods will quit and get his PHD and then teach smaller xaviers and also probably be a minor videogameland celeb; Big E will be in the main event for ~4 months once vince gets another good look at him, then back to midcard to probably be a constant IC contender

Yeah when New Day is done it will be a little sour for us, the fans, but hopefully the gang go have fun adventures elsewhere. Don't think most of them could climb higher wrestling for Vince and its kind of amazing we got to see this work out as well as it has. Maybe they could go raise unicorns in a farm near Daniel Bryan. Daniel Bryan is an Ent now right?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Great White Hope posted:

Conjecture: If the crowd actually wants to be rid of Reigns, they should cheer for him. WWE will see that he is succeeding and excitedly rip him into three pieces for the momentary thrill of it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It's beyond me why they would even consider breaking up New Day.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Fenrir posted:

It's what they've done ever since Shawn got big off of the Rockers break up.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is anyone else really enjoying the Dudleys being the world's angriest tag team? Bubba and D-Von yelling at the Vaudevillains while beating up the New Day was one of my highlights of the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So did Edge & Christian's show get better or is it still much the same as it was in the first 10 minutes of the first episode? Because I went into that show excited and couldn't watch more than that it was so awful. If it actually got better it might be worth giving it another go, but not if it is just more of the same.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 3, 2016

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Fenrir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyTQTOkSKw

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

So did Edge & Christian's show get better or is it still much the same as it was in the first 10 minutes of the first episode? Because I went into that show excited and couldn't watch more than that it was so awful. If it actually got better it might be work giving it another go, but not if it is just more of the same.

Hit and miss. The most recent episode started with Sasha doing Boss Makeovers, ending up as Trump and then firing them from their own show so she could take over the themesong. It stayed pretty much gold from that point.

But the one before that started with a long awkward OTHER COUNTRIES DON'T UNDERSTAND OUR SLANG skit with Paige and didn't improve pretty much to the end.

I think its worth watching for the good bits.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

I hope he walked out like Punk and didn't get the irony

it was mutual

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ryback is like TNA's dream pickup, they'd promise him zillions that they can't afford. Hopefully Big Guy doesn't go that road and tries for Japan instead, I'm sure he'd actually do really well over there just like Giant "Albert" Bernard and AJ's two gay dads. Would love to see him end up in their Kenny Omega house of bullets.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

On the other hand it would be hilarious to see Ryback run roughshod over EC3 and Eli Drake while TNA Mecca melts down.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
On the other hand Ryback in PWG squashing Cage would be the greatest troll-job ever.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I like the way Goldust's turkey neck wobbles when he emotes sadness. Looking like a face painted Bill Parcells out there

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
If you listen to or remember Ryback's Steve Austin podcast appearance in October Ryback stated he wanted to become a main eventer and talked about his contract negotiations. It wasn't him dreaming or a "wouldn't it be nice if" he was tunnel focused on getting that spot and believing it was a realistic one if he proved his value. He got himself in great shape, was doing a lot more in the ring and was having good matches. Yet ultimately Vince/Triple H didn't see him that role or were going to pay him on the level of someone in that role.

rovert fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 3, 2016

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x8WgSHDpnU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wait I'm lost, is Ryback actually gone or is he just vocally unhappy and people are posting about the hypothetical near-future?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ryback with the Big Smoke level food orders. :allears:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Minidust posted:

Wait I'm lost, is Ryback actually gone or is he just vocally unhappy and people are posting about the hypothetical near-future?

Ryback is dead. The guy you see on TV is a LMD.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IIRC his contract is up sometime in 2016. Dude's been getting better and Payback was one of the best matches he's done in a long while. He could def still get pops and I remember the Jesus pop he got for when he first turned on Cena, but yeah they just kept him in lower card stuff. Don't really blame him if he's frustrated. idk why but I love Ryback and his food interviews and "FINISH, IT"

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Well Roman is still kinda boring but it's a lot easier to pull for him and his cousins when they're feuding with team white trash. I mean I know I'm going to get poo poo for it but what are Anderson and Gallow's gimmicks anyway? Hell I'm really not complaining, they must be excellent heels if they can get people behind Roman

Edit: goldust rules

Son of Man fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 3, 2016

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Son of Man posted:

I mean I know I'm going to get poo poo for it but what are Anderson and Gallow's gimmicks anyway?

They wear tight tshirts and like to beat up Samoans.

quote:

Edit: goldust rules

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Son of Man posted:

what are Anderson and Gallow's gimmicks anyway?

AJ's two gay dads that want to teach him to be a man and beat up all the kids at school but AJ doesn't want to end up like rat fink Dean Ambrose or Great White Bully Sheamus, so he's trying to break free from their parental insistence. AJ knows his future is sealed because his more handsome indie brother Finn "Prince" Balor is coming home from college to give him noogies and smoke indoors. Karl and Luke just want to be a family.

• Locked thread