Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

achillesforever6 posted:

I want him to have more impact on the business than Punk, who like a coward decided to walk out on his comrades and go off to pretend to be an MMA fighter and write comic books instead of rallying wrestlers to start a union.

If Punk beats the Green ranger at UFC 200 he"ll have the leverage and star power to save the business, just wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

achillesforever6 posted:

I want him to have more impact on the business than Punk, who like a coward decided to walk out on his comrades and go off to pretend to be an MMA fighter and write comic books instead of rallying wrestlers to start a union.

Ryback: "I don't care if I lose."

Punk: "I should be main eventing Wrestlemania!"

Ryback has a better grasp of the business than CM Punk.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
Ryback Rules and he has some cogent points. I don't think he's saying a wrestler like Fandango should get a similar payday to Cena, I think he's saying that if you prove yourself a merch mover and popular with the crowd, your payday should reflect that regardless of whether you win or lose a match. Ryback was insanely over as a face before they turned him heel and fed him to Cena. His falling down the card was the fault of WWE's booking, not his own. Would I want to see a WWEWHC run for Ryback in 2016? No, but in 2013 it would have been decent and appropriate. They just didn't want to create a new star to pay more money, so they didn't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well hell, put me down as fully in Ryback's corner on this one.

rovert posted:

Unionise It

:agreed:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

MotU posted:

*ryback bursts into WWE offices w/ a team of lawyers*

WAKE UP, ITS MEETING TIME

This is beautiful.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Reaverbot posted:

Ryback sucks and is awful, but he is also correct

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ryback will probably love working for TNA.

Everybody gets paid the same: $0!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I pretty much agree with Ryback, which is weird.

What's WWE's counter argument? My guess it's something like--well, yes, many stars are essential for a show, but without the biggest stars like John Cena or Roman Reigns (assuming he's even at that point for them), nobody goes to shows anyway, so then those essential-but-not-as-well-liked stars don't get paid at all. Kind of like when The Rock came around--some guys were annoyed because he was the star and got paid more, but he also drew more so they had their highest payouts in years.

It seems like the higher payout per place on the card is a by-product of the regional era where territories needed to keep top guys around somehow?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWEAdamRose/status/727624876794753024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Reaverbot posted:

Ryback sucks and is awful, but he is also correct

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

They wellnessed him for addys? Come on WWE, for real

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll never understand this weird hate boner some people have for Punk. The man left a job he hated and told his bosses to shove it , isn't that the American dream?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They wellnessed him for Adderall? What the gently caress.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carver Crisis posted:

Ryback Rules and he has some cogent points. I don't think he's saying a wrestler like Fandango should get a similar payday to Cena, I think he's saying that if you prove yourself a merch mover and popular with the crowd, your payday should reflect that regardless of whether you win or lose a match. Ryback was insanely over as a face before they turned him heel and fed him to Cena. His falling down the card was the fault of WWE's booking, not his own. Would I want to see a WWEWHC run for Ryback in 2016? No, but in 2013 it would have been decent and appropriate. They just didn't want to create a new star to pay more money, so they didn't.

Ryback had cooled off months and months before he turned and faced Cena.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never understand this weird hate boner some people have for Punk. The man left a job he hated and told his bosses to shove it , isn't that the American dream?

Punk made millions of dollars in the span of a couple years, told Vince and Hunter to go sit and spin, quit his job on the spot, got healthy, married AJ Lee, wrote a bunch of comic books, then spent his spare time training for MMA and attending baseball and hockey games.

Punk loving owns and is a goddamned hero.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JT Smiley posted:

When you're one of the top guys in the company, it just comes off as whining.

If it was someone like Cesaro, who is better and can do better, it would be admirable if he told the WWE to gently caress off. But Punk, who held every championship multiple times, main evented numerous show, headlined some of the hottest feuds, and is the longest reigning champion in, what, 15 years? It kind of comes off as being selfish. He's like the spoiled kid who has all the cool toys, but throws a fit when a kid has something he doesn't, so instead of playing, he just goes home.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 4, 2016

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

MassRafTer posted:

Ryback had cooled off months and months before he turned and faced Cena.
You're right. But he was cooled off by a series of screwjob finishes. My point about the booking ruining his value still stands. If one of the most over guys on the roster loses a title match by getting screwed, you ideally have him get the title later in a payoff for a longterm storyline. But not in WWE, they just sink down the card until everyone forgets about them, Daniel Bryan being a clear exception.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

If it was someone like Cesaro, who is better and can do better, it would be admirable if he told the WWE to gently caress off. But Punk, who held every championship multiple times, main evented numerous show, headlined some of the hottest feuds, and is the longest reigning champion in, what, 15 years? It kind of comes off as being selfish. He's like the spoiled kid who has all the cool toys, but throws a fit when a kid has something he doesn't, so instead of playing, he just goes home.

He suffered multiple concussions and had a horrific MRSA infection, grow up.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
So wait, does WWE have literally no procedure for therapeutic use exemptions? Or is Adam Rose just an idiot and didn't disclose his prescription to WWE's doctors?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its easy to hate on Punk given the money he made, the position in the card he had the amount of success he attained in WWE, but those two podcasts with Colt Cabana lay out his grievances pretty well and I absolutely relate to him.

Then again I knew I was going to love the poo poo out of him ever since he smashed a guitar over Chavo Guerrero's head while disguised as a member of a mariachi band.

CM Punk loving owns.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Seems like we're forgetting that Punk's last-match-on-the-mania-card request came during the time of four "main events, " almost entirely wrestled by the stars of 10+ years ago (and Cena) at the expense of the up and comers like he still could have been considered, guys that could use the rub. A move that would help the company keep people watching.
Yeah Punk was in it for himself first and foremost but his issue was a side effect of other issues. Jericho is lucky to say he got to main Mania, know mean? Now we can finallysay the spot is open with Bryan and Reigns, but Punk had to sit through the Cena/Rock shows among other things.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnEAH5wCzo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carver Crisis posted:

You're right. But he was cooled off by a series of screwjob finishes. My point about the booking ruining his value still stands. If one of the most over guys on the roster loses a title match by getting screwed, you ideally have him get the title later in a payoff for a longterm storyline. But not in WWE, they just sink down the card until everyone forgets about them, Daniel Bryan being a clear exception.

Ryback was given a sustained monster push, was he over because of the push or because he was a talented popular guy? He's had some sparks since then but he's not someone who moved the needle again and made you go "They are missing out on him." He's probably not even in the top 10 of guys WWE has missed the boat on in the last 5 years.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ryback is angling for a new minimum wage for downside contracts that still allows for title reign bonuses and merch payouts. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, though it is sad that it took someone being close to leaving to say that out loud.

Just look at major sports in the US: everyone comes out to see the top stars play, but minimum contracts are still hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ideally salaries in WWE would work similarly to most sports leagues, only with the upside of mercy sales and PPV/main event bonuses.

So there would be a minimum downside salary that was based on the amount of years you've been with the company. Most sports leagues have a union tho

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sigma posted:

Ryback is angling for a new minimum wage for downside contracts that still allows for title reign bonuses and merch payouts. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, though it is sad that it took someone being close to leaving to say that out loud.

Just look at major sports in the US: everyone comes out to see the top stars play, but minimum contracts are still hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The top contracts are also much much higher, the highest paid MLB player makes 60x what league minimum is. This doesn't include players who are on split contracts or are just toiling around in the minors. Baseball's revenues also make WWE's revenues look like nothing. WWE definitely needs more of its revenues to be shared and higher downsides but Ryback's ideas are a bit iffy.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

lol at anyone dissing cm punk while saying ryback is right

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

lol at anyone dissing cm punk while saying ryback is right

At least Ryback had the balls to put his neck on the line. Punk just wussed out and went home without asking or settling up.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

remember another one of the big points of contention why punk left was there was no money from the network after everyone got a cut of the PPVs before hand and guess what, they've still done nothing to fix that except for the cena/Orton/undertaker echelon

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sigma posted:

At least Ryback had the balls to put his neck on the line. Punk just wussed out and went home without asking or settling up.

Except that's not true at all.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sigma posted:

You don't owe your boss anything he was 100% right and you're a baby

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What about this whole patent thing? How does that play into this?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Punk is cool

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

MotU posted:

Big Guy fighting for the Little Guy?!?!?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Davros1 posted:

A person's prominence at a company doesn't mitigate lovely working conditions and it certainly doesn't mean that they are or should be forced to work there forever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I hope Ryback goes into comics and starts writing the Secret Avengers.

That or a sequel to the Doom comic. He'd be perfect for the dialogue.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

CM Punk was/is better than all current WWE Singles Champions combined, and created the hottest angle we'd seen in pro wrestling for years and years and years.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

Christ... knowing WWE he told them he was on Adderall, but they didn't realize its the same as meth. So when they tested....

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

uh adderall is the same as meth? in tests? i didn't know that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm glad Ryback finally understands Punk. Took him long enough

Once again, punk was right

• Locked thread