Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Finished. For now, this fucker will be going on my periodical reread list. What a strange and captivating book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Groke posted:

Finished. For now, this fucker will be going on my periodical reread list. What a strange and captivating book.

If you have not done Sea of Fertility get on that poo poo

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you have not done Sea of Fertility get on that poo poo

This was my first Mishima but sure as poo poo won't be my last.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I finished this last night. Mishima is great although I think I preferred Sailor to this.

One thing I really liked about Temple was how well Mishima portrays mental illness. All through the novel, Mizoguchi has his own internal logic justifying how he thinks and feels about things. It's always insane, but e.g. his weird persecution complex re: the Superior totally makes sense to him. I've known a couple of people who were mentally ill in a similar way (although nowhere near as extreme) and it totally ties in with that way of obsessing over things that no-one else would even notice let alone hang their whole worldview on.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's also nice to have the ambiguity of it because there is never any external confirmation, only a few observations that in no way rationally lead to the conclusions Mizoguchi makes. It doesn't quite add up, but who else do we have to go on?

His paranoia was particularly well-preserved when spying on the cigarette kid or finding the superior in prayer. There's a certain logic in thinking someone is acting for your sake, but only a genuinely disturbed mind goes through the mental gymnastics necessary to assume the motivations and actions make sense and are solely in concert with one's own thinking.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month

As before, preferred candidates are available on eBook format, ideal candidates are available as free ebooks.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

quit loving a child and read some physical books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
quit loving a child and read some physical books also written within a human lifetime

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mcustic posted:

A little bit of context about Mizoguchi's background: [...] So don't disregard all that when you consider the social context of Mizoguchi's tormented existence.

Corrode posted:

All through the novel, Mizoguchi has his own internal logic

Nakar posted:

It's also nice to have the ambiguity of it because there is never any external confirmation, only a few observations that in no way rationally lead to the conclusions Mizoguchi makes. It doesn't quite add up, but who else do we have to go on?

Seriously?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Could you please explain?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Please tell me he thought they were confusing Mishima with Mizoguchi

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Please tell me he thought they were confusing Mishima with Mizoguchi

I'm on the edge of my seat

E: my only other guess is that he is my high school English teacher who would pointedly remind you that it was the character who was doing something, in case you were retarded and thought Macbeth was nonfiction.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 20, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

quit loving a child and read some physical books also written within a human lifetime

Such as

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Aquarium by David Vann

The let the Vann Clan grow

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Han Kang just won the Booker international and we've not had a woman this year. Let's read The Vegetarian.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
How about we let Mel set the BsOTM until he fucks up. I mean arguably picking a book that I couldn't buy constitutes loving up, but I had a few days' worth of adventures and ended up reading it eventually so he wins this round.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nakar posted:

How about we let Mel set the BsOTM until he fucks up. I mean arguably picking a book that I couldn't buy constitutes loving up, but I had a few days' worth of adventures and ended up reading it eventually so he wins this round.

I appreciate it, but to be fair my general tastes can be kind of narrow when considering the scope of the subforum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nakar posted:

If & when I drop off the face of the earth one thing I've learned that I hope whoever takes over remembers is that the process of going through the nomination/voting process makes for *much* higher participation. It can be the exact same book, but if I just throw it up there, it'll get a tenth of the responses as if it goes through the nominating process and people vote for it and say they'll read it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 20, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

but let's be real here I do have the best taste out of everyone

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

durr i brain gud

I'm reading The Death and Life of Great American Cities at the moment, that's pretty interesting even if it is a bit old.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Corrode posted:

Han Kang just won the Booker international and we've not had a woman this year. Let's read The Vegetarian.

I've read it, and it's a great book, but one I need to re-read so yeah it still gets my vote.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Corrode posted:

Actually, I second this.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Corrode posted:

I just googled that poo poo and it looks intriguing enough, so I say aye to that.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Another vote for the Vegetarian here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I was whining in the other thread about no women BotM's so I came in here to nominate one (on the last day of the month because I am also dumb as well as whiney) but y'all already nominated a good one. So I vote for that too (the Vegetarian, to clarify).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Guy A. Person posted:

I was whining in the other thread about no women BotM's so I came in here to nominate one (on the last day of the month because I am also dumb as well as whiney) but y'all already nominated a good one. So I vote for that too (the Vegetarian, to clarify).

I rigged the election this month, all the nominees were from female authors.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:thumbsup:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Next month we should do LaRose anyways so there that's a twofer

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

People reading this book anbd being like "drat mishima does such an interesting depiction of mental illn ess or whatever" you are doing the dullest reading of this book and you should reconsider.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

People reading this book anbd being like "drat mishima does such an interesting depiction of mental illn ess or whatever" you are doing the dullest reading of this book and you should reconsider.

Share with us your reading

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I think that the Superior went to the secluded spot in the garden (last chapter) to JO in peace, but Mizuguchi misinterpreted his gestures as a lesson in humility. Thanks for reading my reading.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Share with us your reading

Now why would I do something like that

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

mcustic posted:

I think that the Superior went to the secluded spot in the garden (last chapter) to JO in peace, but Mizuguchi misinterpreted his gestures as a lesson in humility. Thanks for reading my reading.

In my shame I really thought that was going to be the reveal at that point.

Just finished and I'm just going to ramble. I was expecting a clear fascist line on the book, but it ambled on in a nothingness. So it was nihilism, but confused. I guess the philosophy Mishima was articulating was that beauty is in the mind, and that whatever physical beauty existed, it just got in the way of the 'idea'. Towards the end of the book it came alive, particularly with Kashiwagi's peroration. It seemed for a moment that this would stall or change Mizoguchi's resolve, but the idea that knowledge was the way instead seems to reinforce this kind of Platonic ideal of mind over experience. In the end though, Mishima seemed to be articulating an incoherent mishmash of out of date philosophy.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Out of date my rear end.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Next month we should do LaRose anyways so there that's a twofer

That would be rad and I promise to actually vote in the proper thread in a timely fashion

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

the_homemaster posted:

Out of date my rear end.

Your rear end is a fine thing I hear! Mishima would presumably approve. If you take the line that Mishima was articulating a kind of Philosophy based on Parmenides/Plato, where life is unchanging or ideas are paramount - then for sure this is out of date. It's almost as if he rejects the concept that a particular object can be beautiful - he has to abstract it. I guess it's open to debate whether Nietzsche is/was out of date in 1956, or whether Mishima was really following such a thread. Would be interesting to hear why it resonates for you though.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

He doesn't reject the idea that a particular object can be beautiful, he repeatedly states that the Golden Temple IS Beauty for him. The books definitely got some platonic stuff going on but saying its out of date philosophically because of that is a bit weird, it's coming at it from a very strange angle and through a decidedly Buddhist lens so it's hardly like you can be like "ah but what about the third man Mishima checkmate buddy"

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
My review

quote:

I know I'm too old for it, but I'm going through my nihilist/existentialist phase now in my late twenties. This book really hits the spot. It's about two things: beauty and death. Or three things if you count beauty in death. It actually reminded me of Catcher in the Rye, but not terrible and way more intelligent. The protagonist is similar in terms of having a young brashness, a certain naivety. It's beautifully written with so many perfect sentences/paragraphs. Absolutely a book I will read again.

This is a great book because of the philosophy, and yes the Buddhist angle was unique. I think saying that a philosophy is out of date is a bit stupid though. What are you basing it on? What's the most up to date philosophy doing the rounds? Who are the cool kids thinking like?

The nihilism is beautiful in this. It makes me think that Stoicism and nihilism aren't far removed.

There are some ripper lines too, I mean:

"The special quality of hell is to see everything clearly down to the last detail.”

“Anything can become excusable when seen from the standpoint of the result”

“Other people must be destroyed. In order that I might truly face the sun, the world itself must be destroyed....”

“To see human beings in agony, to see them covered in blood and to hear their death groans, makes people humble. It makes their spirits delicate, bright, peaceful. It's never at such times that we become cruel or bloodthirsty. No, it's on a beautiful spring afternoon like this that people suddenly become cruel. It's at a moment like this, don't you think, while one's vaguely watching the sun as it peeps through the leaves of the trees above a well-mown lawn? Every possible nightmare in the world, every possible nightmare in history, has come into being like this.”

“When people concentrate on the idea of beauty, they are, without realizing it, confronted with the darkest thoughts that exist in this world. That, I suppose, is how human beings are made.”

“Insensitive people are only upset when they actually see the blood, but actually by the time that the blood has been shed the tragedy has already completed.” (this hit me hard regarding veganism actually)

“I was born with gloomy nature. I do not think I have ever known what it is to be cheerful and at ease.”

"But human beings do need something, and with knowledge they can make the very intolerableness of life a weapon, though at the same time that intolerableness is not reduced in the slightest."

"As I gazed at her soft sash, which hung down in the back, I wondered what it was that made Mother so particularly ugly. Then I understood. What made her ugly was - hope. Incurable hope, like an onstinate case of scabies, which lodges, damp and reddish, in the infected skin, producing a constant itching and refusing to yield to any outer force."

And a hole poo poo ton more quotes.

It really got me, I think I maybe got it though I didn't know how to read it, and it certainly broadened my mind a little. A fascinating journey.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
It's not about catching out Mishama - he's going to come out on top of any pissing contest for sure and it's fantastically written, but it's impossible to read this book without the context of the events of 15 years later. It's a bloody big elephant in the room. I can't agree that the nihilism is beautiful at all. I see Kashiwagi's discussion towards the end of the book as a rejection of that and far more beautiful than what came before, but then Mizoguchi discards that and proceeds with the destruction anyway. Mishima takes that up in a glorious destruction of himself. I can accept the beauty of the words, but can't accept the destructive nihilism inherent in the decisions of Mizoguchi and reject the idea of 'beauty in death' - that reality does not really correspond to most people's experience of mortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Umm yeah that's because most people are weak fools?

How does seppuku render the book differently?

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 4, 2016

• Locked thread