Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I texted a teacher friend of mine today and she told me that her students were just as horrible today as any other day, so this whole holiday might turn out to be a sham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Death By Yogurt posted:

I'm a high school English teacher and most of my day is spent pretending I don't get whatever Internet meme the kids are spouting at me.

same

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I always hear each generation is dumber/ruder. For all the teachers out there, has there been a significant change in student behavior /attention/intelligence ?

There's actually some interesting research being done on "kids these days" and one of the findings so far is that they do better on tests but really suck at things like moral reasoning. As in straight up "if it feels good, do it" is a commom response from high school students when asked various moral and ethical hypotheticals

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations, teachers, on your thoroughly wasted lives!

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Mange Mite posted:

There's actually some interesting research being done on "kids these days" and one of the findings so far is that they do better on tests but really suck at things like moral reasoning. As in straight up "if it feels good, do it" is a commom response from high school students when asked various moral and ethical hypotheticals

burn all hippies and their intellectual spawn

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

dee eight posted:

Let's celebrate the most important job in the world. Sorry about the crap pay, though. Recall your past mentors and say something about them.

I had a pretty hot Eng Lit teacher in my senior year of HS. She was a brand new starry-eyed idealist teacher, who would lift me and my whitetrash peers out of the mire of ignorance and into the golden light of literacy. What mostly got my interest was she had nice hooters and drove a sporty car.

Anyways, the first thing she did on the first day of class was to hand out brand new paperback copies of "Wuthering Heights". I said to her that I'd rather not read some old gothic soap opera. She was aghast! "But it's a classic!" "So is an Edsel" "What would you rather read?" "Something contemporary. How about I do a report on "Mother Night"?

I aced it and then just coasted the rest of the year.

chose poorly, son. vonnegut's lightweight and wuthering heights is amazing.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
If teachers are so smart, why do they think making $65000 for 9 months of 6 hour days is a bad deal?

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

ProperCoochie posted:

If teachers are so smart, why do they think making $65000 for 9 months of 6 hour days is a bad deal?

Your math teacher certainly wasn't smart.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

ProperCoochie posted:

Because they have to put up with stupid little poo poo heads like you while pretending they really care if you pass or fail when in reality the sooner you're out of their lives the sooner you can be forgotten.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Isnt that the instrument with only 3 buttons? Sounds like you shine copping out and taking life on easy mode.

I say this as a trumpet player.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Why do we have a teacher telling us what to do? I didnt leave school aged 14 for this

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Lol if you have such hosed up friends and family that a teacher was your mentor

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
my sister is a teacher and she is dumb as hell

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

stickying this thread the day after teacher's day? no credit.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vols bitch posted:

You can only fight genetics so much, ya know?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
anyone who actually wants to be a teacher is the absolute last person who should be one. all the people who could teach kids about poo poo they really need to know are out, y'know, succeeding at life.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Horniest Manticore posted:

anyone who actually wants to be a teacher is the absolute last person who should be one. all the people who could teach kids about poo poo they really need to know are out, y'know, succeeding at life.

did a teacher molest you or something

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

good. im glad america is starting to finally pull that stick out of our collective asses

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Horniest Manticore posted:

The funniest person I ever heard that from was an Economics major who, later, decided after graduation to become a photographer/artist and lives off his French teacher girlfriend, who is the sole provider for the household because he's terrible at everything haha

Death By Yogurt posted:

I'm a high school English teacher and most of my day is spent pretending I don't get whatever Internet meme the kids are spouting at me.

One of the saddest parts about teaching has been watching the Internet become where students learn about humor, it's very grating

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

vols bitch posted:

I bet she understands the concept of capital letters and punctuation.

ProperCoochie posted:

I hear that a lot. Particularly from family members who are Rush Limbaugh listening non-teachers. Yes, I have a contract. Yes, I am pretty well paid. But you must bear in mind a few things.

1. It is not 6 hour days. I have start time of 7:45 and an end time of 3:45. That's 8 hours. 30 minutes is lunch, so that's 7.5 hours.

2. I'm on salary, and I rarely have a nothing-to-do-after-hours day. Usually I spend a couple of hours at home each night doing planning and paperwork, plus several hours each weekend.

3. Same is true of the summer. I usually attend training institutes (unpaid) and do loads of planning and prep over the summer. And it's not 9 months, it's 10.

4. Yes, I get more "vacation" time than most people, and for that I am grateful, but I am also paid significantly less than anyone else in a profession with the same level of education. I have a Bachelor's degree, A teaching credential and two Master's degrees. I recently talked with a friend who casually asked how much I earned. I told, with the condition that I had worked for over 20 years in the same district to get that far. He was shocked and pointed out he had earned that much after only 5 years, and was now earning nearly double what I am.

5. Think about the average goon. Now imagine 34 of them in a room, and you have to get them to do something they don't want to do. For an hour. Then repeat again five more times with more groups of surly goons. That is my day.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I always hear each generation is dumber/ruder. For all the teachers out there, has there been a significant change in student behavior /attention/intelligence ?

Things have definitely changed since I started teaching in 1991. Technology is probably the main culprit. The students want to be on their phones constantly, and do not seem to understand that there is a time when you might need to put it down and focus on something else. If they are using it as a reference tool, that is usually okay, but normally they are texting friends and such.

One thing that bugs me is how quick they are to grab their phones. I ask a question, and half the kids don't even stop to think about a possible answer. Their first reflex is to look up the answer online. While that might be good most of the time, there is merit in just sitting and thinking, even if you don't get the right answer.

As for ruder, this is definitely a thing. It partially comes from a pile of laws that were added to the ed code recently. What they have done is ended up tying the school's hands when it comes to discipline. For example, if a student is tardy/truant, they must get a pass. In the past they got a pass, plus a detention. If they did not serve, they got Saturday school, and if they did not serve that, they got suspended, and the parents were called in to answer questions/deal with truant officer. Now we can't do the suspension/truant officers. So if the kid is late, they just blow off the other consequences and there is absolutely nothing we can legally do about it. I have a student who has been late to class 93 times this year.

Also, we have similar reductions on what we can do for in-class infractions, so kids get relatively small punishments for relatively large infractions. They know this and some students deliberately cause problems, knowing that they won't have major consequences. We even found a group of kids who were pushing teachers and subs with really bad behavior, in hopes that the teachers will lose it. When the teacher blows up, they secretly film it and post it online. We had kids having contests to see who could create the biggest meltdown. And when they are busted for deliberately disrupting class like this (And posting videos shot in class online), they get a hour detention at most.

Things have changed.

Of course, on the upside, I have access to actual as-it-happens scientific stuff, like the Transit of Mercury that will be happening on Monday, so Technology isn't all bad.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 4, 2016

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i want to be one of those balding 50 year old curmudgeons who begrudgingly teaches history so he can coach football

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i want to be one of those balding 50 year old curmudgeons who begrudgingly teaches history so he can coach football

That was my high school history teacher. He routinely won all of our school's teaching awards. He would give me an A on research papers for copying and pasting a wikipedia article, and he thought the Enclosure Movement was just a time when hedges were popular.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That was my high school history teacher. He routinely won all of our school's teaching awards. He would give me an A on research papers for copying and pasting a wikipedia article, and he thought the Enclosure Movement was just a time when hedges were popular.

lol are you british

here in the us the football coach is usually the highest paid person on the entire staff

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I had a lot of education major friends in undergrad. In general, they were the drunkest, laziest, most promiscuous people I knew, but they were good people. That being said, I would not want them anywhere near my future children.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

lol are you british

here in the us the football coach is usually the highest paid person on the entire staff

I forget if the class was European history or international history, but we mostly just talked about World War 2.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My gf switched her major from education to a double major in sports science and biology because she was afraid she was becoming an alcoholic after her sophomore year. She makes a little more telling fat people that sit ups aren't that hard and thyroids aren't magic nor do they break the laws of physics than her friends who became teachers do dealing with angry and obstinate kids all day, so I suppose it's a win

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I was homeschooled: so thank's for the teaching me, mom!

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
I had a teacher that pronounced "window" "potato" like this: "win-duh" pota-tuh". The South. She was my English teacher. I raised my hand and asked: "is it not pronounced ..."wind-doh and Po-ta-toh"? She replies: " yes, but spoken language is very different from written". I then said, "well, if you cannot speak it correctly you should not be allowed to teach it". She then proceeds to attempt to get me into trouble w/ the principal and my parents. Yes, that's how far she took it. When father arrives and is told the situation he just smiles the whole time, listening, then looks at me, then at them, and says, "well he's right, please do not bother me unless there is a real problem". Teachers are up their own rear end.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Saucy Slit posted:

I had a teacher that pronounced "window" "potato" like this: "win-duh" pota-tuh". The South. She was my English teacher. I raised my hand and asked: "is it not pronounced ..."wind-doh and Po-ta-toh"? She replies: " yes, but spoken language is very different from written". I then said, "well, if you cannot speak it correctly you should not be allowed to teach it". She then proceeds to attempt to get me into trouble w/ the principal and my parents. Yes, that's how far she took it. When father arrives and is told the situation he just smiles the whole time, listening, then looks at me, then at them, and says, "well he's right, please do not bother me unless there is a real problem". Teachers are up their own rear end.

and then everyone stood up and clapped etc.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

My dad, who is a Black Ops Navy Seal, punched that teacher right in the face, and everyone cheered, and then the teacher ran off crying and I was laughing, and my dad said "That's what you learn...fighting the Taliban!"

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Death By Yogurt posted:

Why deny it? I'm a high school English teacher myself, and I embrace the memes. Today we talked about rare pepes and worked on some constructed response. Feels good man.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

8 track betamax posted:

I was homeschooled: so thank's for the teaching me, mom!

How does that work? Did you take your mom to prom in the garage?

Aug 4, 2010

teachers are know-it-all pricks who couldnt get a real job

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
In my experience, good teachers can make all the difference in a kid's positive trajectory and bad ones can gently caress a kid up for life. I've had both. There's a weird sort of détente going on right now in the US where we don't value and support the good teachers enough but we also don't really pursue and purge the bad ones like we should, either. I have a lot of teacher friends on facebook, and I think the most annoying thing I see from them (other than them all having martyr complex), is how often they forget they are actually dealing with literal children and bitch and moan about their students like they are their co-workers. I can't keep from reading their smug condescension for punishing a student for varying things or their inexplicable shock when they misbehave without rolling my eyes. There really should be a rule that teachers have to do something outside of the educational field after college before jumping right back into it because the amount some of them are disconnected from reality or stuck in an institutionalized high school mindset is disturbing.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

vandalism posted:

Why deny it? I'm a high school English teacher myself, and I embrace the memes. Today we talked about rare pepes and worked on some constructed response. Feels good man.

i am not familiar with rare pepes, please enlighten

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Mange Mite posted:

As in straight up "if it feels good, do it" is a commom response from high school students when asked various moral and ethical hypotheticals

It's almost like that's the message they hear from our consumerist society from the moment they can understand language...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kids are pieces of poo poo and deserve every bad teacher they get.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Saucy Slit posted:

She should have beaten you with an iron rod

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Those who cannot do, teach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My mom taught high school algebra. She would being home the teacher's editions of the text books so i could check my homework.

• Locked thread