Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

The Kan'non Six - Issue #3

As Lady Horrible Sea is floated away by Stardust's magic to the care of the Paramedics, Red Witch's spell plagues the darkness that possessed her until moments ago. For the briefest moment he's struck by three simultaneous visions. A circular table, with monsters and nightmares seated around it, one chair larger than the others. A sad woman looking up from her desk at a playground full of children, then towards a photo on her desk. A crown of thorns, the bloody things arranged in an arcane pattern...

Takana's making good use of his megaphone, which he probably never should've been given. "AHH! WATCH OUT EVERYONE, THE WATER IS VERY COLD!" He remarks this several times, for example, along with complaints about how expensive his cigars are and how much paperwork he's going to have to do. Once rescued and parted from the magical voice aplifier, he has to resort to raising his voice to complain. Still, he's very certain you're all quite sorry for having ruined his day, and he remarks that while he's willing to forgive you all - eventually - his girlfriend probably never will.

"HEY STARDUST!" Taya shouts as she walks her sister home, not sure if the Hero overhears her or not. "THANKS FOR THE ASSIST!" Glancing over her shoulder towards the office building the Magical Girl had confronted the villain in, her unknowing classmate grins, a new look of determination in her eyes...

-----------
The Kan'non Six - Issue #4
At the start of the issue there's fanart of all the characters wearing Stardust Scout's uniform (Kamaitachi over his armor), except for Nemesis, who's facepalming instead.

The Kanzeon Shrine
Current Tags: +Accessible, +Serene, -Secure, -Small

Luckily your base was far enough away from the Battlefield to not run the risk of being flooded, which probably would've made hanging out in it a lot less fun. With the Villain defeated and everyone in more or less good shape, it seems as if the night's yours. Its around six o'clock, and the sunrise is once again blocked by the massive skyscrapers of the interior zones. As per usual Takana's left the TV (the new one, which Red Witch isn't to touch) on, and it seems as if there's some conveniently timed news on! While the main program's about the upcoming election for Prime Minister, the scrolling bar at the bottom has some pertinent news.

Some of the stories scrolling across the bar at the bottom of the news posted:

• Getterman spotted in the Meteor Impact Memorial Park delighting local children with free samples of Neon Yo-Yo's.
  • National Heterochromia Awareness Day is today - 55% of public believes phrase "Mary Sue" not offensive, study finds.
  • Heroic Youngerdog Guardians save mall; Councilman Moyer, "They're actually a menace," vows investigation.
  • Police Spokeswoman: Rash of mysterious blindings on 178th Street "Still Under Investigation."
  • League vows more funding for combating dangerous Independent Heroes.
  • 30th Anniversary of Kaijudomon Rights Legislation commemorated by events in Zone One today.
  • Kan'non Six defeated an evil witch and put an end to the flood watch, League of Heroes representatives confirm.
  • Want your business here? Contact our advertising department for more info!
Meanwhile Takana's outside, either talking or pretending to talk to his girlfriend (or pretend girlfriend) on the phone, so you don't have to worry about him bothering all of you for a little while at least.

Everyone: How do you plan on relaxing or celebrating this evening? Which teammate are you most interested in spending time with? How is your room decorated, and where else in the base do you hang out?

Kamaitachi - While everyone else on the team might be all smiles and sunshine, you're probably still not doing so great. Do you think any of them really notice or care about you, or is at all perfunctory and faked concern? What's upsetting you most right now, and what are you going to do to fix it? What about the Shrine reminds you of something you've lost? What do you do?

Mnemosyne - At least that chill's gone, right? A stark reminder that life (especially your life) is short. So, going to live it up and enjoy the time you have, or look into one of the mysteries that've turned up so far? The Mists spooking Nemesis, what Lady Horrible Sea was after, whether Takana has a girlfriend or not - are they as important as a pizza party and good time with friends?

Red Witch - With what you saw using your powers, there's definitely sinister forces at work. How have you interpreted those visions? Is there anyone on the team you want to go to for advice or help in deciphering it? Or would you rather just enjoy your evening for a bit? After all, if the League's worried about you being able to control your powers, that battle was an impressive mark in your favor. Letting that go to your head, or do you still have a long way to go? What do you do?

Nemesis - While the end of that fight probably could've gone better, you still managed to put on an impressive show the entire time. Are you worried someone from DEUS might notice your involvement in the battle? Speaking of them, what do you think of the fleeting visions you experienced in Mnemosyne's portal - worth looking into, or a waste of time? Or would you rather go after the nearest objective... Jumping Flash is here after all, and now might be a great chance to spend some time with her. What do you do?

Stardust Scout - Poor Minami sensei. Do you have time to look into who was threatening her, or to visit her in the hospital, in addition to the pizza party you promised the others, and pay attention to the rabbit that keeps headbutting your shin? Zabu-San waits until you're both alone to speak up, sounding very much like an old man that's trying to sound like a young punk, all the while being a magical rabbit. What mixture of good and bad advice does he give you? What type of pizza does he want (also you should order pizza for everyone, you did promise it)? What do you do?

Jumping Flash - Good job! Sure, you may not have actually fought the villain, but you definitely kept people safe. Do you think your teammates think of you as an equal, or do a few of them probably look down on you? At least Shinji doesn't - though, perhaps luckily, he hasn't found a means of contacting you since the battle. That was weird, right? Do you typically attract such weird civilians? Do you have any training or practices to do tonight, or are you going to just relax? What do you do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Freak: -1 | Danger: +0 | Savior: +1 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: ROOFTOPS

I mean, I consider going to visit Minami-sensei in the hospital, but usually they don't let people in to see people right after they're admitted, if they're like, super super injured. I mean, she probably isn't even awake, if half of what I think I saw my team do to her really happened. Besides, it's almost certain that - if things go right - people wont know she was the villain, and maybe just think she's a victim. In which case the entire school is likely to take a fieldtrip to go see her... because that's always what happens when a teacher gets hurt, duh. And if it doesn't happen, still! I can go visit when she's ya know, not probably concussed, and bleeding, and stuff.

I eventually do pick up Zabu-San as he headbutts my shin, happily carrying him up to the rooftop in a sparkling star blessed ascent... where he promptly bit my finger as soon as we were out of sight, "Star, ya punk, who do ya think you are! I saw that whole fight an' ya were just dancin' around savin' people, then ya don't even pop the bad guy? Just hide away with 'em? Ya ain't ever gonna be respected if you just keep talkin' to everyone, ya dolt! Ya gotta show that yas're strong, so ya can earn those ranks we- I mean YOU deserve, punk! Yas need that there fire some of yas team's got, that yas're jus' missin." The whole time he's yelling at me, his head is batting back and forth and he's whacking me in the face with his ears, and aaaah it's just so mean of hiiiiimmmm.

"I-I know you want me to fight Zabu-San, b-but I just don't like people getting hurt when I can stop it! And she's another magical girl, so I have to save her!..." I bit my lip, looking away from the tough looking, leather jacket wearing bunny... which was difficult, since he was on my shoulder, and still hitting me with his ears, and then oh so cleverly change the subject, "H-how about some pizza with spinach, asparagus, broccoli, a-and those green peppers you like so much? I-I was gonna buy for the team to celebrate, and you deserve a pizza too, since you're like totally part of the team!" At the very least, it got him to stop hitting me with his ears, even if he didn't verbally agree that it was a good idea.

"J-just give me a moment to uhm, see what the others want..." I moved my hand to Zabu-san, and pulled him off my shoulder, setting him down on the rooftop, before I hopped on down, rushing over to my favorite giant manly-man, which is to say Kamaitachi, because I mean I guess Takana might be considered a manly-man, but no, I preferred my Tachi~, especially with how stressed he seemed at the end of the fight. So I rushed to him, practically skipping, and threw my arms around the big ol' shoulders of my teammate, hugging him from behind, "Tet-tet-tet-suuuuuuuuuuuuuu~yaaaaaaaa~" I singsonged his name, like it was one of my magical chants, as I dramatically flipped myself over him, using a bit of magic (and a bit of my own enhanced physique), letting go of him midway over, so I could dramatically point at him, with an oh so serious face.... "You! Need! To! Tell! Me! What kind of pizza you want!"

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 24, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Freak +2, Danger +2, Savior +0, Superior 0, Mundane -1
Potential 0/5 | Burn: 0 | Conditions: Guilty

As the visions fade, I hear Mnemosyne talk about giving the microphone to Tanaka. Oh boy. She was right about that. "Well, I didn't want him to fall in the water and be mad later- oh wait he just fell in." I guess it worked out though? And no destruction on my part, although I'm not sure how long that's going to last. But it's probably an improvement right? Right.

Anyway, while we're at the base I'm trying to think of what I saw. I guess if someone would be able to help it would Mnemosyne and Stardust, I think. Both of them have magical powers as well, so maybe they'd know something about what I saw? Stardust is busy talking to Tetsya, so that leaves Mnemosyne. I walk up to her and clear my throat. "Uh. Hey." She doesn't look really happy right now, so maybe I should do something about it? "You did a really good job out there. You got to Lady Horrible Sea quickly and helped when, uh. Nemesis was being sort of...overeager. And afterwards with Tetsuya. I was kind of, uh, busy."

Comfort/Support Mnemosyne: 2d6-1 7

"Um, anyway I have something to ask of you. Is now a good time? It has to do with Lady Horrible Sea and something I saw with my magic. But I can wait if it's not!"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak: +1 | Danger: +3 | Savior: -1 | Superior: 1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry | Location:

Now that the adrenaline's over, Nemesis does kind of feel bad for hurting Lady Horrible Sea this much. She does still think it was necessary, but... doesn't feel good. So, obviously, it's Jackie she looks for help to.

"Jackie!" she yells out before going for a hug. "I just wanted to tell you, you did great! I, uhm, wasn't around to see it, but you didn't get hurt!"

Well, that's not the entirety of it. Something tells you she wants a hug in response. Perhaps it's that wanting stare... or the fact that she actually turned herself immobile and is actively trying to prevent you from leaving her hug?

Who knows?

Comforting/Supporting Jumping Flash: 2d6-2 0 Welp. Potential, I guess.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane +2
Potential:1/5 | Conditions: | Location:

Yeah, maybe I didn't get to see the most action today, but Sir Justice didn't commend me for beating up bad guys. It was for doing exactly what I did, saving people. I've got no idea how most of the others really feel about me, but I can't believe they think that little of me. Shinji was at least grateful for what I did. Weird guy, though. Not the weirdest I've seen. This one guy I met swore he was stuck in an online game and was some kinda swordsman. Come to think of it, he looked at me like Shinji did....huh.

Anyway, I'd usually do a bit of training, but Dusty's buying pizza, so whaaaaatever~! I'm heading to my room when I'm ambushed by a wild Sandy!

"Hey, thanks, Sandy! Er....Sandy...I kinda can't move." I try to wiggle out of her grasp. "Sandy, it's gettin' a bit hard ta breathe!"

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 24, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Freak +2 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane 0
Potential: 2/5 | DOOM! 2/5 | Conditions: Hopeless

My room in the temple is pretty empty, honestly. I never plan on moving here, not when my tower is so nice. And, you know, I really don't like leaving it unwatched for long periods of time. But, I do have a few things. A set of civilian clothes and a spare costume, for one. I'm not going to drag my painting supplies out here, but I do have a sketch pad filled with half done landscapes and even a few portraits of my teammates. I even managed to get in a quick sketch of Tetsuya's face, sans helmet!

I'm thinking about going back to the tower, though. The pizza party sounds nice, but if I learned anything today, it's that I can't put things off till tomorrow. And speaking of things that I can still do, if Nemesis saw something about DEUS in the mist, then... maybe I can pull all the memories about it out of there. Put them in a crystal to view them, even. I've never done anything like that, but it should be possible, right? And if I do, it could really help her, even if I'm... gone.

I'm mulling over the best way to scribe the containment runes when Red Witch gets my attention.

Heliotrope posted:

I walk up to her and clear my throat. "Uh. Hey." She doesn't look really happy right now, so maybe I should do something about it? "You did a really good job out there. You got to Lady Horrible Sea quickly and helped when, uh. Nemesis was being sort of...overeager. And afterwards with Tetsuya. I was kind of, uh, busy."

Putting on a fake smile, I say, "Oh, thanks! You were really impressive too! Aside from that... misunderstanding at the end, I think we all did a great job! But we're all learning how to be a team, right?"

When he brings up Tetsuya, though, I give a halfhearted shrug and sigh, saying, "I don't think I really helped. I mean... he didn't really say much before running off again. He's really down right now." I glance over at Startdust jumping around and demanding pizza toppings, saying, "Maybe she'll have better luck?"

Heliotrope posted:

"Um, anyway I have something to ask of you. Is now a good time? It has to do with Lady Horrible Sea and something I saw with my magic. But I can wait if it's not!"

I say, "Actually, I was going to head back to my tower to check on something." Wait, no. What did I just decide? No time to put things off till later? So, I quickly add, "It's not that far, though. Maybe you can tell me about it on the way there?"

Still hopeless, so taking the Potential.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"Thanks." I smile back at her. "I was kind of worried but I guess it worked out! Mostly" When she mentions her tower I nod. "Sounds good to me."

As we head there, I start explaining everything. "Okay, so when Lady Horrible Sea turned back to normal I could see that her magic was actually just like Necrothorn's magic. So I think there's some connection between the two. I also used my own magic to look into it more, and I saw, well...some visions. A table with a bunch of monsters around it, a sad woman at a school, and a crown of thorns arranged in some kind of pattern. Oh! I could draw it out for you if that would help? Also I was thinking of bringing this up with Stardust too, but she was busy and also I didn't know if I should wait until...you know. The pizza party is over. Or whatever. Don't really want to bring everything down you know?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I let out a low whistle as he explains everything, then say, "That's... a pretty big deal, yeah! But I can't say any of it really rings a bell. But, drawing it can't hurt, and I've got some stuff back at my tower we could maybe do some research with." I mull it over a bit more. It's not like we're in any shape as a team to go after this right now, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to wait to tell Stardust. So, I say, "You should really let Stardust know, for sure. But... I guess it can wait a bit. After the party. She really wants it to go well, after all But right afterwards, we should tell her."

When we arrive at the tower, I open the door with a wave of my hand and allow Red Witch to come into the parlor. Despite the cold stone outside, the first floor is cozy. With the thick carpet and pained landscapes adorning the walls, it honestly looks more an oddly shaped living room than something from the medieval ages. Without skipping a beat, I yell up the stairs, "Hey Rock! I have a guest here. He needs some paper and pencil." I pause and add, "And probably some tea to drink. I have to take care of something downstairs, so just take care of them while I'm busy, ok?"

I look at him and say, "Just wait here for Rock, ok? I'll be right back." Then, I walk towards the door under the stairs, open it, and make sure to close it behind me.

As usual, I feel my skin crawl as I descend into the basement. And it's not from the damp chill in the air, either. As I round the last turn in the staircase, I see the impossibly large, sealed door dominating the far wall. I idly remember the time I did the math, and I more or less proved that it couldn't physically fit under the tower with how short the staircase is. Which means that this whole room is actually some pocket dimension under the stairs.

Still, I have work to do. I've had a few workbenches and a ritual circle down here, because it's where my powers are the strongest, so I walk over to them, take deep breath, and say, "Ok. Let's see what we've got here."

Gonna use my sanctum to see about pulling all the memories about DEUS out of the mists and putting them in a crystal so anyone can look at them.

Let's get this ritual party staaaaaarted

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Gah!" Sandy yells out, turning off her power and releasing Jackie.

"Oh god I'm so sorry! I didn't even realize my power turned on, are you okay? Did I hurt you?!" she asks, panicking.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 2, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"It's fine, Sandy. You wanna join me in my room while we wait for pizza?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sandy's mood seems to brighten immediately. "I'd love to!"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 2, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"Hi Rock." I give a brief wave to the large golem. Mnemosyne leaves and while I'm pretty curious as to what she's doing, I stay seated. As Rock brings the drawing materials and tea I say "Thanks." Before that though I take out my phone. It just occurred to me that maybe Stardust might want to know where we are.

Text to Stardust posted:

me and mnemo are at her tower
she had something to do there
we'll be back soon

Once I send the message, I take the pencil and start working on drawing the formation of the crown thorns in the vision I got earlier.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I start heading up to the attic where I sleep and put my crap. "I got cheese, I hope you don't mind!"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Mnemosyne

Your ritual circle flashes as you focus on the magical task before you, the massive door that seals Lethe behind it looming over you all the while. The ancient carvings beneath your feet, the circle employed by dozens of others, grows a brilliant violent as you draw on the energies of this place, the same as so many before you. For a moment you swear you can hear some of them - maybe even your mother - but the mists drowns them out, and soon there's nothing but it, and you, and your spell.

"Linda" Your mother speaks. You can't see her anywhere, but perhaps, for just a second, you feel her embrace.

"You know there's a cost to be paid." She sounds sad, perhaps infinitely so. "Is this worth it?"

"If it is..."

"Bring their victim here - she'll trust you." Is this still her voice? It sounds like it still, but the hair on the back of you neck are starting to stand up. "No one will notice. Use your friend's drawing, he's almost done with it, and you'll have what you want. And it's so much more than either of you know, yet - but you can if you just do these things, trust me us."

"That's fair, isn't it?" The voice is no longer even close to your mother's. It's all around you, hungry and eternal and lethargic. "Nothing's free."

First, you must augment the ritual circle using Red Witch's drawing as a basis.
You'll need help from Nemesis
You and your team will risk danger from DEUS
You'll need to mark one box on your doom track aka forget something.

----------------------

Red Witch - Rock stands off to the side while you draw, his features downcast and dark despite the warmth and light of this floor. What do you make of that? Which of the tapestries catches your eye here, and why? What emotional do you suddenly feel, totally unbidden, that you'd rather not? What do you do?

Stardust Scout - Ahhhh! Now's not the time - you're right in the middle of a dramatic gesture and everything - but you're apparently the recipient of a text storm. First one from the Journalism Club at Nijuaban, then one from Red Witch, then another from your Journalism Club. Who are the two underclassmen at Nijuban that texted you? What do they need from you, as soon as possible? Is it worth disrupting your pizza party over - the one at least two of your teammates are skipping?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 26, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mom? Is that you? Is it-

No. I know something's wrong. It's not her; it's a memory twisted into getting what the mist wants: Another chunk of me.

I still tear up as I feel her the memory of her embrace. I shake my head, rub at my eyes, and say, "It's not real." After a few more repetitions, I think that I might have even convinced myself.

While I make my way back up the stairs, I start planning out what I have to do. First, I need to get Nemesis on board. She's... still probably scared of me. And I don't know how she's going to react to the idea of facing more of the mists. But, she's got to want to know more about DEUS, right? I mean, I'm doing this for her, after all. The rest should be easy. Even though, I'm not... thrilled with the idea of losing some memories over this, but...who knows? By the time I'm ready, I might have something I want to forget.

I exit the stairs still deep in thought, but then I realize that Red Witch is probably staring at my still shaking hands. I quickly fold my hands behind my back, then I look over to Red Witch, give him a smile, and say, "Sorry! That took a little longer than I thought. Thanks for waiting. Can I get you anything else while we're here?" After the answer, I say, "Oh, do you mind holding up that picture really quick? I want a copy so I can do some research on my own."

Before I continue, I take another piece of paper from the pad and start quickly sketching the design that Red Witch is holding. If nothing else, it makes my hands stop shaking.

I start speaking again, "So, um, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it in front of everyone, but when I had a moment alone with Stardust, I was going to mention that I thought that barrier at the end wasn't really safe. I totally support her trying to talk villains down, of course. I just... what if Lady Horrible Sea hadn't cooperated and instead attacked her? We'd have been locked out, and Stardust could have gotten really hurt. I was thinking about bringing it up to her after the party. What do you think?" I look at him, waiting to see what he thinks. If he doesn't have anything else to add after he says his opinion, I'm ready to leave and head back to the temple.

Then, when I finish my sketch, I rip it off the pad and hand it over to Rock, saying, "Rock, please hold this onto for me. I'll need it later. Thanks!"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rock just...standing there makes me feel a bit uneasy. "This is, uh. Really good tea Rock." I don't know if he's actually listening to me. Well, I'll just ignore him. I guess. I'm finishing up the drawing when I see a tapestry of what looks like a group of people fighting some monster. It's really neat looking, and it looks like it's a moment when they put the monster in some sort of magical trap. Except none of the heroes on there seem to be magical types? There's someone with swords, someone with guns, and someone who looks really strong. What's weirder is that there's kind of a bit of space between the sword and gun heroes. Kind of like a person was supposed to be there but...suddenly I'm feeling kind of nervous for some reason. I can't help but wonder what exactly Mnemosyne is doing while-

Capfalcon posted:

"Sorry! That took a little longer than I thought. Thanks for waiting. Can I get you anything else while we're here?"

"Oh!" She's back. I look back at the drawing. "Uh, no. I think I'm fine." I hold it out and watch as she makes a quick sketch. "I let Stardust know we went off for a bit while you were away, just so she wouldn't worry about us being gone."

Capfalcon posted:

"So, um, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it in front of everyone, but when I had a moment alone with Stardust, I was going to mention that I thought that barrier at the end wasn't really safe. I totally support her trying to talk villains down, of course. I just... what if Lady Horrible Sea hadn't cooperated and instead attacked her? We'd have been locked out, and Stardust could have gotten really hurt. I was thinking about bringing it up to her after the party. What do you think?"

"I think you're right. Couldn't hurt to talk to her about it anyway, right?" I head out with her. "Let me know when you're done talking to her about it and then we can tell her about the stuff I told you earlier." I wait for a little bit, watching her as we go back to the temple. I can't help but think about how I don't actually know too much about Mnemosyne or what she does. "So, uh, what were you doing while I was drawing?"

Pierce Mnemosyne's Mask: 2d6-1 8
Asking "How could I get Mnemosyne to tell me more about herself?"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: ROOFTOPS

I'm still pointing at Tetsuya so dramatically when my serious moment is absolutely ruined by my boob starting to vibrate! "Ack, my drama!" I was so upset by it, as I scrambled to get my phone out, oh no, Mizuno is texting me because she took pictures of the recent battle against Lady Sea, and she wants m to write an article to go with them right now and this week's edition of the news paper has to be ready by tomorrow morning so we can get it all done with and out, and aaah I'd have to like do it this second, but it's also an article all about my team so it's really really tempting! I mean I could order pizza and then work on the article at the same t-

Oh gosh the phone vibrates in my hands and I almost throw it because it surprises me - oh gosh Emi-Chan, our super cute School Treasurer from the year under me is like, frantically sending me a million messages, because apparently some of the profits of our recent dance have gone missing, and she needs me to help her figure out what could have been missing from it and where it went and she's sending me her address and aaaahhh nooo I am busy I can't run off Emi - okay I'll just have to call her and explain I can't come tonight and it's not that big a deal and we can probably fi-

I literally do toss my phone up in the air as it starts vibrating again this time accompanied with a sound - which means it's from a teammate - a RoF song that I thought really fit Red Witch because he's so mysterious and cool and witch-y and cool and I almost literally shout, "Mosy and Ash went to her tower to make out!?!?!?!" Okay maybe they didn't spell it out completely, but that was totally obviously one hundred percent what had to be happening oh my gosh two of my teammates were d-d-dating and I didn't even notice and now they were going to miss pizza and aaaah noooo okay they said they would be back so maybe I could hang out until they come back and then maybe help Emi and Mizuno and then aaahhh so many things to do and how didn't I notice it?

Oh gosh I am such a bad team leader i should be like, supporting them and helping them and I'd totally need to keep pairing them up for future missions because that's just way too cute and great and aaah, oh gosh I just revealed it to Tetsuya, "Oh, gosh, tetsuya, you didn't here that okay?! I don't want them to know that I told you I'm so sorry for that aaaah I don't want to ruin their secret that's so rude!" Okay, okay, just gotta order some pizza, and like, I guess I could just guess what people like, maybe something with lots of meat, and then a plain cheese because I know Jumping Flash worries about calories and then I could share Zabu-san's...

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 29, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potential: 2/5 | DOOM! 2/5 | Conditions: Hopeless | Location: Road to the Temple

Heliotrope posted:

"Oh!" She's back. I look back at the drawing. "Uh, no. I think I'm fine." I hold it out and watch as she makes a quick sketch. "I let Stardust know we went off for a bit while you were away, just so she wouldn't worry about us being gone."

I nod in agreement, "Good thinking. I wanted to get out before she corralled us all together, but this way it's probably better that she wasn't worried about us mysteriously disappearing."

Heliotrope posted:

"I think you're right. Couldn't hurt to talk to her about it anyway, right?" I head out with her. "Let me know when you're done talking to her about it and then we can tell her about the stuff I told you earlier."

I nod again, saying, "Yeah. More than one person might seem like we're ganging up on her. Glad it's not just me who thinks that it was dangerous, though. But when we get together for research, the more the merrier sounds like a good idea. Maybe we can even do some with the pizza!"

Heliotrope posted:

I wait for a little bit, watching her as we go back to the temple. I can't help but think about how I don't actually know too much about Mnemosyne or what she does. "So, uh, what were you doing while I was drawing?"

To buy a bit of time, I pretend hear and get him to repeat the question. Once he repeats it, I hedge, waving my hand in a vague gesture and saying, "Oh... just looking into an idea I had earlier. I thought it wouldn't be too complicated, but it looks like it's gonna take a while." Then, I put on on a half smile and casually shrug with one arm as I say, "But, what can you do, right?"

Mnemosyne's trying to hide it, but she's still thinking about whatever happened down in the basement. It's the reason she's so distant for this conversation, and it's apparently personal enough that she's not going to just up and tell you. But, if you made a significant effort to do something nice for her, she'd open up on just about anything you wanted to talk about.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 27, 2016

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freak: +3 | Danger: +1 | Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 2+1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Hopeless | Location: Kanzeon Shrine

I kind of just wanted to be alone, ultimately.

Usually, I really like having the company around. I like seeing everyone smile and be, you know, normal. It doesn't hurt or make me angry or anything. It's just a good thing to see happen. Right now, however, I'm nursing something. It really feels like everything I had told myself, everything I had practiced to be, fell apart there in the end, at a real crisis moment. It was pretty clear it was that constant self-doubt and playing this over and over in my head that made me vulnerable to Lady Horrible Sea. I also hurt Linda, I'm sure of it. I think she needed to know that she was helping, and even though I said she did, she didn't believe me.

Why can't people just accept what you say?

You're a real bad liar, kid. Idzuna rolled about in my lap there, stretching his lithe form, and then hopping up on the shoulder. Heads up, got a zero coming in on your nine o'clock.

KittyEmpress posted:

"J-just give me a moment to uhm, see what the others want..." I moved my hand to Zabu-san, and pulled him off my shoulder, setting him down on the rooftop, before I hopped on down, rushing over to my favorite giant manly-man, which is to say Kamaitachi, because I mean I guess Takana might be considered a manly-man, but no, I preferred my Tachi~, especially with how stressed he seemed at the end of the fight. So I rushed to him, practically skipping, and threw my arms around the big ol' shoulders of my teammate, hugging him from behind, "Tet-tet-tet-suuuuuuuuuuuuuu~yaaaaaaaa~" I singsonged his name, like it was one of my magical chants, as I dramatically flipped myself over him, using a bit of magic (and a bit of my own enhanced physique), letting go of him midway over, so I could dramatically point at him, with an oh so serious face.... "You! Need! To! Tell! Me! What kind of pizza you want!"

I didn't really need to know what to say at first about it, and luckily there was something else for her to get distracted by as I was silent. Stardust was really patient though, and I really appreciated her being that. But didn't she know I was... dead? There are yokai that can eat human food, ogres especially gorge themselves on it. But that has to do with your dharma, like everything else. I'm not a hungry ghost. Just a... ghosty ghost.

And I just know that Takana-san would ask there to be onions. I felt myself cringe under my armor at the very thought about it. I had to at least pretend. I inhale deeply, and make to attempt and give her something, anything, and pretend I'm just... Ok.

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh gosh I am such a bad team leader i should be like, supporting them and helping them and I'd totally need to keep pairing them up for future missions because that's just way too cute and great and aaah, oh gosh I just revealed it to Tetsuya, "Oh, gosh, tetsuya, you didn't here that okay?! I don't want them to know that I told you I'm so sorry for that aaaah I don't want to ruin their secret that's so rude!" Okay, okay, just gotta order some pizza, and like, I guess I could just guess what people like, maybe something with lots of meat, and then a plain cheese because I know Jumping Flash worries about calories and then I could share Zabu-san's...

I'm not okay.

"Oh..." My voice feels like it's going to fall apart. I mean, it makes sense really. I didn't say anything. Especially after what just happened, did I really expect that Ash would have felt the same way? We just worked well as a team. And Linda... She's a really good person. A person, rather than what I am. "I... Ah..." My heart completely sinks into the pit of my chest. Everything about this, sucks, and it's clear through all of my body language. "I'm sorry, Stardust. I can't even..." eat pizza, but can't even is a good enough description on itself. All my attempts to kind of be good enough, cheery enough for her fall completely flat, and instead I reveal to her something I shouldn't.

Miss on comforting/supporting Stardust Scout.

"Since I died. I don't eat anything. You usually aren't around here to notice, at the shrine. Just something else that makes me different, ne?" I pull off the helmet for a moment, letting her see my face. The skin is still mottled, and my eyes are black with red irises still, even now. I look to her for a moment, because I want her to see it. That's the best I can do, is be honest. "I guess between both of us, compared to the others, it'd be nice to have, normal problems, right?"

At the time, I didn't realize how wrong I was, but that was a long ways off...

Revealing a weakness/vulnerability. Am I more human or more monster to you now?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: Temple Huggin'

All of the worries over relationships and who I could go and help and how I'd handle the newspaper and this missing funds just melted away as Tetsuya started to talk, I let my phone slip from my hand onto a nearby pillow, not pulling my eyes away from him. I-I mean I never was around, so of course I didn't know, but how stupidly stupid of me, not knowing about something so simple, like augh, who would make such a big deal out of something that just would hurt someone, it was just so super rude of me. So I quickly - though not as quickly as I could - and grab him by his hands, smiling as I looked into his red eyes - which I mean, weren't something that was normal, but weren't scary, he was just Tetsu, and gosh, I had faced math homework scarier than Suya could even pretend to be.

"I'm sorry that I didn't know about that. It's really rude of me to bring something up that makes you upset, and I am really super sorry, and I'll try to not be insensitive next time. I don't think about what you can or can't do, and that's just... not right of me to do, when it upsets you. You're my dear friend Tetsuya - and if you can't enjoy food, then maybe we can pick out some music you like, and then we can all dance and have a good little party, and you can enjoy yourself - because I want you to have as much fun as everyone else!" I'm not at all shy as I reach up to touch his cheek, if I am so allowed, "If you can't do one thing for fun, we'll just find other things, okay? You can always tell me if something isn't fun for you too! All of us have things we don't enjoy, and things we can't do! Like I will utterly refuse if you try and make me sing, because I sound like a poor trapped cat!" I didn't laugh-laugh, since I didn't want to upset him but I gave a little snicker as I smile to him.

"All we can do is have the most fun doing what we like to do with each other!"

18:56 KittyEmpress am comforting and supporting my undead frond
18:56 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+3
18:56 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 11+3 = 14
Tetsuya can open up and heal a condition or mark potential - I do gain influence over Tetsuya though!

Pretty sure this counts as treating him as a huuuman.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 29, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

The coverpage features the six heroes standing in a row, differently colored lights shining down on each of them - and, seemingly unnoticed by them, several large figures looming in the shadows behind them.

With the issue opening with a two page spread of the The Kanzeon Shrine alight underneath a nighttime sky, it's pretty obvious a couple hours have passed. No matter when everyone rejoined the pizza party, there was plenty to go around - Stardust, how'd you pay for all of that again? And what'd you think of the delivery boy's reaction to delivering to the shrine?

The whole team's together, though given how small your base is, that was bound to happen by accident at some point. Takana even had some food too, though he managed to be sulky about it, inbetween completing reams of paperwork. The combination fax / printer he dragged into his office sounds like it's going to break, and at various points its hard to tell if the smoke drifting out of his room is coming from that infernal contraption finally breaking or if its from one of his endless cigars.

Meanwhile, Zabu-san has seemingly made it his mission in life to fall asleep in Nemesis' lap, all the while doing his best to look almost unbearably adorable.

Still! It's getting to be kinda late, but let the good times roll right? Don't worry, its nighttime in Neo Central City and you're heroes, there's definitely only a small chance of anything weird or malevolent occurring...

Jumping Flash and Nemesis - The two of you have been hanging out a fair amount this evening, right? Would the others being there have made things more or less fun? What'd the two of you get up to in the attic exactly, and what about it inadvertently annoyed Nemesis? Speaking of Nemesis, you've been rather open with her - part and parcel of trying to cheer her up, but maybe you went a bit overboard at one point? (Jumping Flash, ask a question of Nemesis as if you rolled a 10+). Assuming you left the attic at some point, did you go and hang out with the rest of the team? Or did you split up and go your separate ways? If so, what excuse did you give to Stardust the team?

Kamaitachi and Stardust Scout - While everyone else ran out on the pizza party almost immediately, you two stuck around. Does that say more about you or them? No matter your answer, this does mean the two of you got to spend a fair amount of time together. What about the other do you now see that you hadn't before? What music did the two of you put on, and was there in fact any dancing? Stardust, how'd you try and get your other teammates to spend time together, and what are you doing now? Kamaitachi - Out of curiosity - while the your heart can't beat fast, the hair on the back of your neck can't really stand on end anymore, and goosebumps are a thing of the past, surely you still have the capacity to physically feel anxiety? Describe the how, but as for the why, that's intuitive to you - Nekomata is active in the city, right now. What do you do?

Mnemosyne and Red Witch - The others may've had time for fun and games, but you two accomplished something - though only one of you is entirely in the know about what it entails. The contrast between the tower and the base is immediately obvious upon having arrived home - while the tower's big, echoey, refined, and dark, the shrine's tiny, noisy, and vibrant with the hustle and bustle of teenage heroes (and your cool buddy Takana). Mnemosyne, how do you plan on handling Nemesis - given that she's touchy around both your powers and DEUS, a strategy may be required. Red Witch, what do you think about Mnemosyne not wanting to talk about whatever happened in her basement? Do you plan on trying to find out? If so, how? If not, what have you been up to instead?

OOC: If your nameplate doesn't link to your character sheet, please fix that, since it's extra-helpful for me come prompting time.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The two of us might have been late to the pizza party, but at least we were able to get in on it. Sort of. I was a little busy trying to think of something I could do for Mnemosyne later to really focus on talking to the others. I...do kind of want to know what was going on in her basement. And maybe a little more about her tower. I wish she had told me what was going on. But that can wait, I think. Maybe tomorrow?

Anyway, right now I'm in my room looking at the drawing I made. Seems kind of important to find out more about it. What will we do if Stardust doesn't know anything either though? I dwell on that for a moment before it occurs to me - I could see if Twilight Sorceress is able to help out! I take out my phone and send her a message.

Text to Twilight Sorceress posted:

hey
it's red witch
found some kind of weird magical symbol while out with the group
was thinking maybe you could help me figure out what it is
if you're not busy or anything
thanks

I open the window in my room in case she is able to drop by. When we got this temple as a base, I told her about it in case she ever needed or wanted to come on over. She hasn't yet, and I don't know if she'd want to come in through the front since she isn't with the League and I'm not exactly sure how everyone else feels about that.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Potential: 2/5 | DOOM! 2/5 | Conditions: Hopeless | Location: Temple

During dinner, I'm munching on veggie pizza. I think Kamaitachi seems... better? Maybe? It's hard to tell. He's not lifting his visor or anything, because he's not eating, because, duh, he's a yokai. But if he is feeling better, it's probably because of Stardust. They were the only ones downstairs when we got back, so... huh. Just the two of them... Together. Alone. Ha ha, I'm really reading too much into it. I mean, they were probably just talking.

Um, right?

Anyway, I'm not terribly chatty during the party, focusing instead on the conversations I want to have. I'm trying to look content instead of pensive, though.

So, first off is Nemesis. That's the tricky conversation. At least she's been down in the basement, so I don't have to explain that. But, I need her to trust me, so I can help her. And after this afternoon, I'm not sure she's going to be too willing to give me that trust. ...Hm... Maybe I should talk to Stardust first, instead. I wanted to talk to her anyway, and this way I show Nemesis that I value her opinion since I'll mention what Stardust and I talked about. And... well, I'll just have to emphasis how much I need her to not be scared. As far as dealing with Deus? ...Well, it's up to her. If she doesn't want to learn more about them, I can't make her.

So, a few slices later, I ask, "Oh, Stardust. Do you mind if I talk with you about something? Um ...In private?"

Assuming she doesn't mind, I lead the way to my mostly bare room and close the door behind us. As I turn to look at her, I have to swallow down my raging jealousy at how she's just handling everything so well and was actually able to help Kamaitachi and... instead launch into my prepared talk.

"So, today went really well! Little damage, no hurt civilians, and the witch is in custody." I smile as I say, "I think we all did really good."

And now for the hard part. I rub the back of my head, looking away as I say, " ...But... at the end? I think you did the right thing, trying to talk her down. We shouldn't fight people if we don't have to. But, throwing up that wall was... not really fair. I mean, you're our leader. We all look to you on what to do, so you shouldn't just shut us out like that. Especially in the middle of a fight! I mean, what if it hadn't worked? What if something had happened to you, and we were all locked out! It would have been horrible!"

While I'm talking, I feel an awful little joy spring up in my chest from telling her how she was wrong. I can't help it! She's always so much better than me at this super hero stuff (...and maybe other stuff too), that it's sort of nice to point out that she's not perfect either.

Telling Stardust Scout how she is. Specifically less savior, more superior.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Potential:1/5 | Conditions: | Location: My room!

Well, most of our time in my room was me showing Sandy all of my Sir Justice stuff. Thinking about it, I did kinda dominate the conversation. And maybe Sandy doesn't really wanna think about this kinda stuff right now. Then, we were just sitting together on my bed, and I ask...

"What was it like? I mean, if you even remember. The whole...evil villain thing."

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 2, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

This evening really got a lot better. she got to hang out and play with Jumping flash, Stardust's pet showed up as we were eating pizza.

Oh, Zabu. To her, Zabu is so cute, Sandy can't stop petting him. She just can't. He's so fluffy and soft!

"I... I want one, too. A bunny. Or, oh, a puppy!" she exclaims

... and then, just as she was enjoying herself, snuggling with Zabu, Jackie drops the figurative bomb. She start staring at the ground, tearing up again.

"It was horrible! I was just... just watching. Like watching a movie. It was like I was a viewpoint in my own body. It just did what it want... but I couldn't stop it. No... it was even worse. Because it was all real. The pain. The suffering I saw on people's faces when I crippled. It was all... real..."

Sandy very quickly degraded in a bawling mess.

Good job, Jackie... :P

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 5, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Nononononononononononono Sandy Sandy Sandy don't cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

EMERGENCY HUGS!

Comfort a crying Sandy: 2d6+2 11

Teeeeam~

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry | Location:

Sandy manages to collect herself thanks to the warm hug courtesy of Jackie. A bit, anyway.

"I... I'm sorry. I know you didn't want to be mean. It... it's just really not something I wanted to remember..." Sandy replies to Jackie in between bouts of sobbing.

She then gently puts Zabu on the ground before getting up.

"Anyway... thanks for being there for me. But I'm pretty tired. I think I'll just go to sleep." she exclaims, yawning as if to make a point. "Goodnight."

Picking up In a China Shop and marking potential twice, once from being comforted and once from my Friend role.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Eventually, all of you that can are claimed by sleep - some sooner than others of course, but eventually the shrine goes quiet (aside from intermittent faxes to Takana throughout the night that manage to reverberate throughout the whole structure). While you heroes sleep there's villainy afoot, of course, but who can blame you for a few hours rest?

It seems Takana can. The sun's barely risen when suddenly the incredibly loud alarms go off, signifying an emergency - all of you are to report to the mission room (aka living room) so Takana can brief you on what's going on, stat! He could've just knocked on your doors, so either time's of the issue, or he's just using the alarm because he can.

Once you arrive, you're greeted by the sight of Takana with the imprint of half a keyboard on his face, but he's clutching a coffee cup in one hand, fax in the other - and, from the looks of it, he's gotten all of you presents. "Good morning everyone," he begins in a tone so frantic it kills any impact the greeting might've had. "There's a situation."

"Three hours ago, three villains that were attempting some sort of break-in at the Spark Industries building - I'll pass their pictures around - engaged the Central City Crusaders, aka the C3s, in battle. Peering at the paper he's holding, he then announces. "You all were requested to provide crowd control, but no one's heard from them since." He tosses the paper onto the table, takes a sip of his coffee, and then clarifies what's going on. "While there's no way the C3s lost, you all'd better go anyways - that way we can make sure you don't get in trouble for shirking your duties." It's somewhat obvious he's the person that'd get in trouble, from his tone of voice, but that brings him to his next point!

"I got you all communicators - new ones!" He's grinning like Santa Claus, albeit a slimmer and less pleasant one that smells of cigars and never stops wearing those sunglasses. "So that way you can stay in touch. If the villains are still there somehow, they're a Green threat, so make sure to steer clear alright? The coordinates the Crusaders found them at and sent in are programmed in already~" It looks like he's waiting for a thank you.

The villains Hipshot, Damocles, and Dirty Harry

Well, you've all got your assignment. Everyone: What do you think of the rather unglamorous role you've been assigned, especially hours after it mattered? Do you think those villains will actually still be a threat by the time you arrive? How do you plan on arriving as a team, and what preparations do you have to make first?

Stardust Scout - Crowd control... beneath you, or a valuable position and just part of doing your part for the League - what do you think? Are you going to try and coordinate with your team better on this mission, or do you think you did the right thing last time?

Mnemosyne - drat, there goes the opportunity to get the ritual done early this morning - and still no progress on convincing Nemesis. Planning on bringing it up during the mission, or waiting till after? If you stick close to her during this likely to be dull affair, do you think you could act friendly enough to get her to go along with things?

Red Witch

txt from Twilight Sorceress posted:

Sure thing - you can come visit me if you'd like, and even bring a friend if they're cool. I'd be happy to help out.
That's awful nice of her, but you've got this mission first. Can you think of anyone you'd like to bring with you? How can you make sure they won't freak out at her being an independent hero?

Jumping Flash - Yikes, crowd control - hopefully you have more luck with them than you did with Shinji. Speaking of him, what ominous message from one of his girlfriends did you find on your phone? What do you intend to do about it?

Nemesis - Which of the three heroes I just described do you remember being linked to DEUS, and how? What special insight do you think you have into their actions tonight, and what makes you think the Crusaders were defeated?

Kamaitachi - While the others may've slept, you were up all night (not that you could help it.) What did you observe while they slumbered that was heartwarming somehow? What do you make of one of your father's generals being active in the city, now that you've had some time to reflect?

This next issue will begin session 2.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"Thanks Takana," I say as I take the communicator. As for Twilight Sorceress...well, I figure I could take Nemesis. I know her the most out of anyone on the team, and she's okay with independent heroes. Maybe Mnemosyne? She's magical too after all. But I don't know if she'll be fine with an independent hero. I could try and figure it out while we're out on this mission, if we get the time.

Speaking of which it's...not really reassuring that the other heroes haven't been heard from. But Takana doesn't seem to think that's weird, so maybe it's normal? But we can probably handle keeping regular people under control. For preparations, I start focusing on gathering magical energy while everyone figures out what we're going to do.

[02:55] <Heliotrope> Charge Up Powers
[02:55] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6+1
[02:55] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 5+1 = 6

If no one spends team, I take Angry, Hopeless and Insecure and also mark potential. If someone does spend team then I just take Insecure.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: | Location: Crowd Control

Mnemosyne takes me away from where we are, because she wants to talk, and that's like, super fine, I love talking to Mosy, she's like super sweet and great! I mean, I kinda would have liked to keep hanging out with Tetsu since like, I totally want him to know how much I love hanging out with him! But I need to hang out with everyone, especially when they say it's something important, because... well, you never know what might be important and what might not be to someone! And that means you have to find out, because maybe Mosy wants to tell me about her and Red Witch's little affair which would be so cute and great!

Except that's not what she wants at all, she just wants to tell me that I was wrong to do what I did, and I mean, she's not completely wrong that I was locking them out, because I mean, I was, but that's just who I am, and she needs to understand that, "Mosy... I know I'm your leader, and that means I have to make hard choices sometimes. And when I see my team getting speared by dark magic, that means putting a shield up, to protect them, to protect you." I really don't think her ideas are bad or anything, I just think she thinks that a leader is something they aren't maybe, "My job is protecting people. And that includes making sure you guys are safe too - I'd be a terrible leader, if I let my selfishness get you hurt."

Rolled a Reject Influence like 2 weeks ago, Capfalcon can confirm, was 10+, Gonna go ahead and shift Danger down and Savior up.

---------------------------------

Time passed
10:54 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+3
10:54 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 11+3 = 14
Best janus, or best janus?

I made some excuses last night, got a bit of work done while the party was going, and just... stayed the night here. In the living room, since I don't really have my own room. I just told my parents I was staying with my friend Jackie, and they were like, okay, well make sure you get some sleep. And I got some sleep, finished out what was wrong with our budget, and got my article sent in for Monday's paper. It was a busy time, and I am just super awesome and the best clearly, since I got it done with and bam, now I'm free to go save the day - or at least control crowds! And we get communicators which makes things a lot easy, honestly!

I mean, maybe it's not the most glamorous job, but who knows how much we might help! Even a low class villain can be a problem if they have a hostage. So by keeping them safe, we keep the villains without poor innocent shields, and bam, then the heroes can take them out, duuuh. I don't really think we need that much of a plan, I mean, it's crowd control, and that seems cool enough - we shouldn't need that much direction. I know some of the team probably isn't super into it, so when I see Red Witch working magic, I can't help but want to surprise them by wrapping them up in a sudden hug, "Yay~! Shi~" He wasn't Ash, he wasn't Ashy, nope, Shi was the only good nickname to have, "We're going to give this our all, even if it's just crowds, right? We gotta show that we're the best team, and that even in small things we give a thousand and ten percent!"

18:54 KittyEmpress comfort/support red witch
18:54 *** TheJoshie quit (Quit: CGI:IRC (Ping timeout))
18:54 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+4
18:54 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 7+4 = 11
If Red Witch opens up, I'll spend the team we gain to raise his roll! :D

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If we're gonna keep having parties like this, I might look into actually furnishing my room. As it stands, I was too tired to go back to my tower, so I just slept on the couch. I'm not really sure how I fell asleep though, as masks feel really weird to sleep in! The first thing I do when I wake up is make sure it's still there, though. Which, of course it is. It's magic!

Right after I take the communicator with a sleepy "Thanks" to Tanaka, I run into my room and change into a fresh outfit. While I'm changing, I'm still thinking about the conversation with Stardust. She basically brushed me off, but I don't think she was mad or anything. And at least I can tell Nemesis I talked to her about it, so maybe she'll a bit less upset with me. But, I'm not going to hold my breath. She's much better friends with Jumping Flash. Honestly, I try to be friendly with the people here, but I guess I don't really think of these people as my friends. And... they probably don't feel that way about me either. We're more like... coworkers. Stardust is the overly chipper manager, Jumping Flash is the one bucking for a promotion, Nemesis is the really moody one who gets away with it because she's so good at the job, and Kamaitachi is the cute guy who works hard and keeps his head down.

...Well, maybe Red Witch is more of a friend than a coworker. He's pretty nice. But, Jenna and them are the first people that come to mind when I think of friends. Still, I haven't really worked with the rest of the team all that long. Who knows, right?

I leave the previous day's costume in a pile on the ground in my room. I'll have to remember to drop the dirty one off back at the tower so Rock can take care of it.

Once I look presentable, I join the others. Stardust is already trying to get us pumped up, but she's focusing on Red Witch right now. So, I take the opportunity to whisper to Nemesis, "Hey, if we get a chance, I got something that'd be interesting to you. It's sort of about yesterday, and I think you'd really want to hear it. But, um, I can't talk about it in front of everyone... because... you know..." I give an awkward shrug as I let her fill in the gaps, then add, "So, let's get paired off for the mission, ok?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Potential 0+1/5 | Burn: 3 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

I'm drawing magical power into me, but...something's not right. I can't control it. I can feel it going out of control and I'm barely managing to contain it and -

And then Stardust comes up and hugs me. "Huh? O-oh, yeah! Definitely! I mean, we did pretty good yesterday, right?" Mostly. "Uh, I mean, I didn't...you know...destroy anything. And we saved a bunch of people." Suddenly I realize that the sensation of losing control is gone. Things are okay again. But what if Stardust hadn't been here? Trying to change the subject, I ask "So what's the plan for when we get there?"

Removing Guilty

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry | Location:

Nemesis looks at the communicator while she tries to make sense of Takana's words. So... a bunch of villains showed up, three hours ago. The heroes sent to fight them go missing, and they... just wait three hours before calling us? This makes no sense. But, whatever. It's just another distraction she'd had to deal with. After all, Silverstorm is one of the C3s. He's one of the people awfully invested in trying to investigate DEUS. Sure is curious. Perhaps he too is a victim of theirs in some form? Anyway, on to more important things. Such as Mnemosyne being awfully vague about something. But it's a pretty easy guess - There are few things more 'interesting' than DEUS to Sandy.

"Sure thing" she whispers back to Mnemosyne.

It is somewhat worrying, though. Those three, going by the pictures, look like like scrubs. But they did apparently defeat higher-tier heroes. I mean, missing, whatever. That's basically a nice way of saying "they lost". Why else would they not come back? Not like they'd go on a vacation or something in the midst of battle!

... a vacation would be nice, actually. Got to ask sometime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"You couldn't have woken us up when we were needed, Tanaka? Sheesh!"

What is this guy thinking?! A hero should always be on call when their services are required! They're probably not even gonna be there when we get there! But we gotta check to see if the other heroes are okay...

Of course, the alarm wasn't the only thing that woke me up. I had gotten a text from an unknown number, don't know how they got into contact with me.

You better jump out of Shinji's sight, Jumping Bitch.

I don't get it. I don't even like that guy! Whatever. Just ignore it and try to avoid Shinji then.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Well, that was easy. I nod and look to Stardust, who's busy hugging Red Witch. Then, she gives a pep talk that would make me roll my eyes if I wasn't sure that it was 100% sincere.

How can she be so chipper? Especially this early?

Still, I wait for her to finish, then say, "So, Nemesis and I worked together pretty well last time, so I think we should pair off again. I mean, why mess with what works, right?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry | Location:

Nemesis nods in response to Mnemosyne's words. "Yeah! Nemo did a really good job in the last battle. I think it's a good idea, too!"

Granted, this is mostly self-serving, but it is also kind of true.

Support Nemo: 2d6-1 6

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: | Location: Crowd Control Planning

"No no no no no~!" I am pointing a finger between Mnemosyne and Nemesis, doing my best to look super serious for a few moments, before smiling, "I think we should work in different pairs than last time! Because yes, we all did great, and everything turned out wonderful and awesome, but just working with the same people constantly is like, totally not the best way to do it! We should switch it up, so everyone gets to know how to pair up with everyone else! And then we can all grow closer as a team, and be a giant happy team where everyone can work with everyone!" The sparkles as part of my speech are totally just natural, I don't channel them or anything, I just start to sparkle and glow when I get really passionate, and I'm really passionate about this! Aaand well, it also gives me an excuse to totally support Mnemosyne and Ash, which is super good and I like the idea of doing that!

"I think we should pair up.... Jumping Flash with Kamaitaichi, Nemesis and I, and.... Oh, I guess Red Witch and Mnemosyne! That way we've got a pretty well balanced team, since each pair will have someone good at keeping the other safe, and someone who is good at like, the punch-y thingies!" It was a perfect plan, it both played to specialties, and let me shi- I mean, support my teammates affections! And might even help me work out some of these issues with Nemesis!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I frown and think to myself: She just can't make this easy, can she? I don't have any time to waste. Then, sounding unsure, I say, "Gee, Stardust. I'm all for getting used to working with each other more, but I dunno if this is really the best time. Like you said, just because it's crowd control doesn't mean we shouldn't give it our best. How about we do some paired practice later, then next time we can try switching up the teams. Also, Red Witch and I really overlap a lot, so I think that being on the team with Nemesis is probably a better idea."

See, a pair of perfectly reasonable objections. She'll have to pair me up with Nemesis now.

Provoke Stardust (with influence)
!r 2d6
capfalcon, 10 = 10

So, do what I want and get team, or don't do what I want and take a condition.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Crowd Control Planning'

No, nooo noooo! I don't want Mnemosyne with Nemesis because A. Mosy needs to be with Red Witch because they need time to bond and have a relationship even if we're busy, and B. because I want Nemesis with me so she doesn't get pissed off and like, try and punch someone during the crowd control or run off to go join a fight or something... I mean I know it has to be annoying for her to be so tough and stuff and have to do menial jobs, so I just wanna be there to make sure it stays a positive thing! And well, I don't really like having my team have a subsection of it that is totally willing to punch way too hard and hurt people way too much, which I kinda felt like is what happened.

"Well... you might be right about overlapping skills, but I think that a job like this where we're doing something easier is a good chance. And field missions are way better than practice, because like, who has time to do practice with all the missions they give us? If you really don't want to work with Red Witch, maybe you could pair up with Kamaitachi, and then Red Witch can be paired with Jumping Flash? That way we have a magical gi- uhm, person and someone more... physical in every group, so I mean, good support for everyone who gets more... in there?" I feel kinda bad that I need to say no to Mosy's suggestion, but I really, really want Nemesis with me this time, after the trouble of last time. So we can clear the air!

Taking Guilty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I try not to let it show, but it's really frustrating to get shot down by the team leader twice in less than 12 hours.

...To be honest, I don't want to pair up with Red Witch that much, and I'd really, REALLY like to be with Kamaitachi. But, Red Witch was really nice yesterday, and aside from that one time, he hasn't blown me up. He's really been doing well lately with controlling his powers, too! And I know making a big deal about switching teams with Kamaitachi would make it seem like I'm trying to not be paired with Red Witch. So, since it seems like I'm not gonna be paired with Nemesis, I say, "No, teaming up with Red Witch is fine with me. And if you're fine with the teams as is, we should just get a move on." I put an arm over Red Witch's shoulder and say, "Right, partner?"

There. That should make sure he knows I wasn't trying to get off of his team.

• Locked thread