Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

That was incredibly cute and I'm glad to have seen it. Thanks for running us through this whole game!

Now if only they'd release the Vita version for PS4. But I know it's no simple task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, I knew it was going to be short but I wasn't expecting it to only be four vidoes.

All the DLC have been only four videos. Anyway, it's time for the last educational segment of the LP and it's gonna be another long one.

First is the Futakuchi-onna, the yōkai TorpidTypist was trying to remember. Bearing a ravenous second mouth which uses long strands of hair like tentacles to gorge itself on any food it can find, this yokai is used as a punishment upon a greedy man or woman for wickedness and extreme parsimony.

The first notable myth is of a stingy miser who, because he could not bear the thought of paying for food to support a family, lived entirely by himself. One day he met a woman who did not eat anything at all, and he immediately took her for his wife. Because she never ate a thing, and was still a hard worker, the miser was thrilled with her. However, his stores of rice were steadily decreasing, and he could not figure why, for he never saw his wife eat.

One day the miser pretended to leave for work, but instead stayed behind to spy on his new wife. She untied her hair, revealing a second mouth on the back of her head, complete with ghastly lips and teeth. Her hair reached out with tentacle-like stalks and began to scoop rice balls into the second mouth, with cooed out with pleasure in a vulgar, raspy voice.

The miser was horrified and resolved to divorce his wife. However, she learned of his plan before he could act on it, and she trapped him in a bathtub and carried it off into the mountains. The miser managed to escape, and hid in a heavily-scented lily marsh, where the futakuchi-onna could not find him.

Another story tells of a wicked stepmother who always gave plenty of food to her own daughter, but never enough to her stepdaughter. Gradually the stepdaughter grew sicker and sicker, until she starved to death. Forty-nine days later, the wicked stepmother was afflicted with a terrible headache. The back of her head split open, and lips, teeth, and a tongue formed. The new mouth ached with debilitating pain until it was fed, and it shrieked in the voice of the dead stepdaughter. From then on the stepmother always had to feed both of her mouths, and always felt the hunger pangs of the stepdaughter she murdered.

The other notable yōkai of this episode is the Jorōgumo who's the most well-known of the arachnid yōkai and are a golden orb-weaver that has reached 400 years of age, developing magical powers and begins to feed on human prey instead of insects. Their name is written with kanji that mean “entangling bride.” However, these characters were added on to her name much later to cover up the original meaning of the name: “whore spider.”

The jorōgumo’s favorite prey is young, handsome men who looking for love and when spots her desired prey, she invites him into her home and he is usually never seen again. They can spin silk threads strong enough to ensnare a grown man so that he cannot escape. They also have a powerful venom that can slowly weaken a man day by day, allowing the spider to savor the long and painful death her victim suffers. They can also control other, lesser spiders, even employing fire-breathing spiders to burn down the homes of any who grow suspicious of them. A jorōgumo can operate like this for years and years, even in the middle of a busy city, while the desiccated skeletons of hundreds of youth build up in her home.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I just looked up that drat princess laugh the other day. It's one of those things that's as old as Japanese drama, but apparently Kodachi Kuno from Ranma 1/2 was the first example in modern media.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Rajyaki's first ending is probably my favorite of the DLC since it's so cute. The Seven Gods of Fortune are probably one of my favorite group of deities in asian mythology as a whole considering they all became gods simply because they all got lucky and found peaches of immortality that accidentally fell down from heaven, ate it and achieved enlightenment therefore losing all mortal desires that weighted them down and floated up to heaven.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's been fun watching. I kind of wish Odin Sphere had Muramasa's food animations but that'd probably slow the game down too much.

And I can't resist adding this bit of info on the Qing queue. It was the hairstyle for men of Qing Dynasty China, was forced upon by the largely Han Chinese population as a sign of loyalty to the new dynasty. Getting it cut could result in a man's death if the local officials were large enough assholes about enforcing the law. For most people, it wasn't about honor as much as it was about breaking the law. Early enforcement of the queue was particularly bloody as various officials and commanders, many of them Han Chinese, ordered massacres.

Previously, there were cultural and philosophical reasons to not cut hair. One was that your body was given to you by your parents so by cutting your hair, you were disrespecting something your parents bestowed upon you. I doubt they never shaved or cut their nails but it was a reason for various hairstyles in China. During various anti-Qing rebellions, particularly in the dynasty's waning decades, it became popular to grow out your hair amongst rebels.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Thank you for showing us this gorgeous game. Fantastic stuff!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Post Credits

One last farewell before I submit this for archiving. Thanks to Akujiki, Chimera-Gui, and everyone else who contributed to history lessons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Having never had a Wii or a Vita, I am very happy I got to see this game in full because it always looked cool. Thank you.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Thanks for the great LP. Vanillaware is the best.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You are very welcome, I had a great time being able to contribute to the thread. Thanks for the LP and good luck on the Odin's Sphere.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are you going to contribute more mythology talk to the Odin's Sphere thread?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I honestly don't know. Mainly because it's going to be a challenge LP, but this game made me realize "Man. I don't know poo poo about mythos"

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I assume that this question was directed towards me in which case I honestly don't know either. While I'm very familiar with Japanese mythology, I am considerably less familiar with Norse mythology. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject will contribute in my place.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
When does the Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir LP start?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

You could always read the currently ongoing one to tide you over.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Got a weird thumb infection recently that left a open wound in my left thumb. had to stop mid-recording of the first character while it heals.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Highwang posted:

Got a weird thumb infection recently that left a open wound in my left thumb. had to stop mid-recording of the first character while it heals.

Take it easy and give that digit plenty of time to heal.

Thanks for the cool LP, and before I forget again:

Highwang posted:

OH poo poo.

Who is this man? That is most definitely not a coincidence.

Sadly, that cool painting isn't based on a real person, it's a poster of a kabuki character called Nozarashi Gosuke. He was an outlaw, but he only did his job Robin Hood style so while the rich and powerful hated him and made him out to be a bad guy the common folk knew what was up. Hence the scary skulls actually being a bunch of cute cats.

It was done by Utagawa Kuniyoshi

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Highwang posted:

No worries. Take your time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, I'm confused. I thought you mentioned fighting Raijin in the Rajyaki DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, I'm confused. I thought you mentioned fighting Raijin in the Rajyaki DLC.

All of the DLC characters have to fight the bosses of Momohime and Kisuke's stories to get their second endings, Highwang just cut those fights out.

• Locked thread