Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This isn't necessarily obvious, and I find it pretty funny: the 百 momo in 百姫 "Momohime" sounds exactly the same as 桃 momo "peach". 100% of the 1 native Japanese speakers I've polled about it were pretty confident that it's a deliberate joke about the other princess called "Peach".

Gimbal lock posted:

e: It looks like the Vita version has "chaos" and "rpg" mode? Are they the same as the standard and hard mode of the Wii version? I remember the Wii hard mode having your swords break at nothing, taking blocking/reflecting damage, and if all three swords got broken you were probably screwed since they'd still take their sweet time to regenerate.
They're the same. They just changed the English names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Akujiki posted:

I'd actually bet more on it being a nod to Momotarou than Mario.
Could be. There's also a secret third reference that's actually much clearer than either, which is to the "night parade of a hundred demons". The first characters of 百姫 "Momohime" and 鬼助 "Kisuke" together are the same as the 百鬼 hyakki there. This one is called out explicitly in the name of Momohime's story, "朧剣百鬼夜行", which this version translates as "Pandemonium of the Demon Blade", as seen here in the video.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Highwang posted:

Also for anyone who cares, OP has been updated with a fancy new table of contents that I had to wrestle GIMP to the ground in order to make.
Are you aware that you put Momohime's TOC in front of Kisuke's background, and Kisuke's TOC in front of Momohime's background?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well, you can always just leave it as it is and hope no-one else notices.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The Edo period came after the Warring States periods - it was actually pretty peaceful, and only occasionally interrupted by things like peasant uprisings and the mass execution of Christians.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The little yellow goblin things are named as "gaki" on the official website, and the blue fleshy things as "nuppebo".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The Japanese name of the Cherry Blossom Blade isn't really "Sakura", but it does have "zakura" in it, so I'll let it slide.

And since since you were asking about this a few episodes ago: the Japanese name of the Dark Resurrection Sword is 相模反魂黒光 "Sagami Hangon Kuromitsu".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's the real reason the Oboro style is so rare - you can't use it unless you're ambidextrous.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

I wonder what the original text referred to that corresponded with "ley lines" in this translation. Doubtless there's something from Japanese mythology/folklore that fits, but ley lines themselves are a concept from British pseudoarchaeology less than a hundred years old.
They say 龍脈 "ryuumyaku". It means the same thing. Apparently it comes from feng shui. By extension, I assume it's also a thing in onmyodo.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 19, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kerris posted:

Based on his headdress, Seitaka Doji is the Monkey King (Son Goku in Japan).

Based on his lotus branch and androgynous appearance, Kongara Doji is the Goddess of Mercy (Kannon/Kanzeon in Japan), who was a prince in her former reincarnation.
Kongara and Seitaka are well-documented figures in their own right.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Why even bother renaming all the swords in English if you're not going to call Oboro Muramasa "The Demon Blade"?

If it's true that bosses have a variable amount of health depending on how long each phase takes you, it's there as an adaptive difficulty system. It's unfortunate that anyone found out about it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

The yōkai with the eye in its rear end is known as the shirime. The only notable myth tied to this one is of an event that happened late at night; A samurai was walking down the street when a man in a kimono stepped in to block his path and said “Excuse me … just a moment of your time … “ The samurai readied himself for an attack, and shouted back “What do you want?”

The man suddenly shed his kimono and stood stark naked. He then bent over and showed his rear end to the samurai, which had a single, huge eye. When the eye opened, it shown with a bright light. The samurai screamed with fright and fled from the mysterious monster. Ultimately a harmless yōkai that just thrive solely on the joy of scaring people.
I can't believe the Japanese invented Goatse. There's really nothing new under the sun.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lotish posted:

Sayo looked older, so I guess this takes place some time after Kisuke's confrontation with the Shogun, what with it being a new age and all? With all the alternate endings, I'm unclear on if we really for sure killed the king when he tried to summon the dog of hell.
Edo-period era names weren't particularly related to shoguns' reigns the way modern ones are tied to emperors, but Kyoho 7 corresponds to about 1722 CE, which is still 13 years after the real Tsunayoshi Tokugawa died.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 17, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Arashimaru is too much for me. I can't handle this much edge. "My name means 'Storm', and also I look like a storm cloud. Storm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Apparently George is Kamitani's real name, though it isn't super obvious, because he writes it as "盛治" in Japanese.

• Locked thread