Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

If you do want to change the background image, there's a frame just before the character select menu opens where the characters' names are visible, and on the correct sides, but none of your save data appears. They're both in tall shadow boxes, but if that's not too big a deal, it might work.

Never got around to playing this myself, on Wii. Enjoying the run so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

The wheels on fire covered in eyes are called "Ophanim." They are the wheels of God's chariot in Ezekiel's vision. Aside from that things get muddy. I doubt this needs to come up again though, since we're past Wanyudo in the plot; just thought you'd like the info.

That Wasp Swarm technique is something else. Does a number on boss HP, for sure. I'm guessing it's not on a ton of swords, though.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

So, first, the movie you were thinking of with the fake money was Pom Poko. It's about tanuki, and during one scene one of them tries to pass off a transformed leaf as money to another tanuki. He gets berated for it. "We don't do that anymore," basically. There was a fox spirit involved as well, but he took a much more commercial attitude to human life than the tanuki who just wanted their home saved.

Anyway.

Tsunayoshi Tokugawa is known for, among other things, the Laws of Compassion. These attempted to reduce suffering by punishing various forms of violence, including those towards children and dogs. Certain mistreatments of dogs were punishable by death. These were considered very extreme for the time, and he didn't have a very good reputation as a result. I'm hardly a strong scholar of this sort of history so hopefully someone else can fill in the gaps better. But either way, a boar is not a dog, so Jinkuro'd be fine killing Izasaou, is what that line was about.

Ippon-datara is an oddball one. It's a bit of folklore about some giant being with a single foot. The name literally means "one foot-bellows," as in the thing you would see in an old blast furnace driven by several people at once pressing with their feet, as a see-saw. But the name has some heavy word-play to it. Unless I'm mistaken, normally you would count a bellows with 台, "dai", the counter for machines and such; accordions are counted with this, so bellows should be. What you would count "ippon" 一本 would be cylindrical objects, such as books (think scrolls), or legs. So, you get a giant with one foot so big, he could drive a blast furnace bellows by himself. The role of ippon-datara in a story varies, but they're generally vengeful giant mountain spirits. It makes sense Izasaou would turn into one to scare people off.

(slightly edited above because I forgot to explain the books = cylinders thing properly. Akujiki's linked an article about the tatara furnace below.)

Goggle Fox fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 25, 2016

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Akujiki posted:

Ippondatara: A pretty well-known youkai, though there are a variety of interpretations of it. Generally speaking, it has one eye and one leg. Because of the name association with furnaces, there are also views that Ippondatara is actually Ame no Mahitotsu no Kami, the mythological god of blacksmiths, fallen from his station.

Ah, hadn't run into that. Makes a lot of sense, and well, that'd be quite a fall, from forging the imperial treasures.

Just to double check, since I was shaky on what word to use for a tatara, did the counting word choice I had make sense? Not that you'd likely have to count them day to day.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Your bonus with "It Was But A Scratch!" was apparently known as Returning Conqueror in the Wii translation. Your health was flashing red and you still pulled through and defeated that enemy pattern while weak. It seems to be set off by just that; hitting near-death health and defeating the enemy regardless.

I see no problem.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Well, sake is a healing item, after all. Now I wonder what would happen with that hot spring if you never use alcohol items through the entire game to that point. (Probably nothing different)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

That was incredibly cute and I'm glad to have seen it. Thanks for running us through this whole game!

Now if only they'd release the Vita version for PS4. But I know it's no simple task.

• Locked thread