Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Chimera-gui posted:

I am admittedly going by the standard convention: When you have a game with multiple endings, it's generally safe to assume that at least one of those endings is the bad one. And since each character has three endings, I'm expecting the first set to be the bad ones, the second set to be the neutral ones, and the third and final set to be the good ones.

I don't know if I'd call the first endings "bad"--to me, they're more bittersweet and the second endings are arguably "worse" in some ways. Jinkuro failed and went to hell, but he's started to actually care for someone other than himself. Momohime wasn't able to avenge the wrong done to her family and has taken up a life of prayer and austerity, not entirely by choice--but hey, she's found a way to escape Yukinojou. Rankai has reformed and let go of the bitterness that was driving him to destruction. And the ending text hints that even Hell might not be able to keep Jinkuro down for long.

Kisuke defeats the demon god and saves the capital (and by extension, the entire country and possibly the world) but victory is meaningless to him without Torahime. He kills himself out of grief and spite, but through Buddha's mercy, he and Torahime are reborn together and might be able to find the happiness they were denied in their previous lives in their new ones.

There was an interview with one of the creators back when the game first came out that said that all three endings are canon, and it was up to the player to decide which one they liked the best. IMO, the third endings are definitely supposed to be the "best" but all three are valid and fitting endings to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread