Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

What is the age cutoff for millennials even supposed to be? Like, I am almost 40 and by some definitions I am one.

Depends how worthless you are.

I'm a millennial but I try to pass as a baby boomer by being hideously ugly and wearing a fake beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

bongwizzard posted:

What is the age cutoff for millennials even supposed to be? Like, I am almost 40 and by some definitions I am one.

are you old and crotchety and blame young people for your problems? that's the only context I hear about whatever a millennial is

I still stick to the old definition of someone who believes the coming of Jesus is imminent and he will have a thousand year reign before the final judgment because words have meaning dammit

:rip: Scalia

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have worked sense I was like 17 and have managed to craft a life where I can make a decent living as a contractor with a ton of time off to have wacky adventures and smoke dope. I feel like believed all the gen-x movies I saw as a young teen and poo poo just worked out.

I also dropped out of college after my second semester and while I did it for dumb 19-year-old kid reasons, in retrospect I really dodged a loving bullet cuz I would have gotten a theatre degree.

I think I am too young to count but I feel gen x as gently caress.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

naem posted:

I'm not sure who cnn is marketing this stuff to

The same people who vote for Hillary Clinton, rich stuffy-rear end old corporate-fart-sniffing liberals.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
And I think "feeling Gen X as gently caress" really just means I'm super self-centered, very lazy, yet have an extreme drive to make money as I can and be as comfortable as humanly possible.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

And I think "feeling Gen X as gently caress" really just means I'm super self-centered, very lazy, yet have an extreme drive to make money as I can and be as comfortable as humanly possible.

That's pretty much it. If we don't make as much money as possible we'll be as hosed as the millenials. We'll be retirement age by the time most of the boomers die off, unless we start eating them.

Magic-Doogies
Mar 5, 2016

by exmarx

RFC2324 posted:

30 year olds ARE millennials. The cutoff is 1980, which was 36 years ago now.

Pardon my ignorance then. You'd be surprised how many 30 year old speakers I 've run into in college so far that put themselves in the 'not millennials' camp and not only come off as assholes, but manage to embarrass themselves in the process.
I kid you not I had one 30 something business major ask us if we knew what the gently caress a newspaper was even though our college has a well known, award winning newspaper production team.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I dropped out of college too. I lived with my parents and got a job taking care of Autistic people. I make enough to get by but while I was living with my parents I saved enough to pay to put myself through nursing school. I'm starting school in the fall and highly recommend not diving into college without an idea of what you want.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Nuebot posted:

The real problem with millennials is that they haven't all killed themselves from crippling depression, debt and lack of progress in life while everyone older than them constantly shits on them for being born into the lovely sewage waste left behind by their generation.

This is an excellent post that more people deserve to see.

Just follow nihilist twitter accounts. Succumb.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

That's pretty much it. If we don't make as much money as possible we'll be as hosed as the millenials. We'll be retirement age by the time most of the boomers die off, unless we start eating them.

I think the difference is, Gen Xers got into the game knowing poo poo was hosed and didn't have any expectations at all other then to try to gently caress as much as possible and try not to die of a heroin overdose before you are 30. Anything more than that has come as a pleasant surprise really.

Like, my circle of friends post high school were all pretty much nerdy good kids but even still I am shocked that none of us died or got the AIDS the way we carried on.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ape Fist posted:

The chicks entire theory falls through the floor when confronted with the fact that Boomers are batshit terrified of technology and when a young person tries to explain how to use a computer to them they get offended at the idea that a young person knows more than them and either relegate them to a position so intolerable they quit or outright fire them. Boomers and their sticky gently caress-brained sense of management is a constant thorn in the side to younger workers who understand more about the products and services they offer than the boss actually does. Whinging about how 'A McJob is supposed to be temporary until you move into more serious work' would also be a fine worldview if more serious work was available and Boomers refuse to accept that Starbucks is the new All American 9-2-5 and when their generation disassembled all of the nations industry and shipped it overseas in pursuit of the golden margin. Articles like this are perfectly happy to consider every aspect of 'Millennial life' as an unconnected series of statements in vacuums that have no nuance or inter-sectional issues but when it comes to Life Over 50 you've plenty of shitholes like Huffpo50 celebrating how being old is _totally_ better than being young because being young is for retards. Boomers are the most entitled generation of humans that has ever loving lived and they're on a crusade to whinge as hard as they can for as long as they can that people younger than them aren't interested in their out-dated view of the loving world and their role in it as technologically incapable wrinkled toddlers covered in tacky loving gold and driving ugly retarded British sportscars which represent a world which no longer exists.

hosed up if true

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

ScorpioMajesty posted:

got a job taking care of Autistic people.
I work from home too.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Looked at the scale more closely and holy poo poo the subjectivity is mind blowing. There were a number of ways I could have interpreted these questions. Ended scoring 40%.

It was bullshit on the face of it but now it looks like a person just constructing a career out of pseudoscience and data faking.

I'm embarrassed for her.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

dick wizard posted:

I work from home too.

Would have been funnier if I said that I lived alone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The baby boomer generation only applies to white people. The life of a black american growing up during the so called baby boomer generation is completely different. Baby boomers are scared of technology and people of color, making the whole grit theory fall apart very quickly.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also it would rule getting paid to take care of myself from home. You could call me whatever you want to.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

I think the difference is, Gen Xers got into the game knowing poo poo was hosed and didn't have any expectations at all other then to try to gently caress as much as possible and try not to die of a heroin overdose before you are 30. Anything more than that has come as a pleasant surprise really.

Like, my circle of friends post high school were all pretty much nerdy good kids but even still I am shocked that none of us died or got the AIDS the way we carried on.

I think that's a defining feature of Gen X. My younger friends are surprised that we took far more drugs than they could ever imagine yet still have jobs/businesses and make a lot of money. Maybe it's not grit they lack, instead they need high quality drugs. Millennials really are hosed because of their lack of drug consumption, that would at least give them a realistic perspective of the world and how hosed it is.

We also slipped through without the crazy debt noose millennials have if they want to study so they don't end up mopping poo poo for a living.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm living off the assumption that global warming, pollution, and and natural resources drying up are all going to cause civilization to collapse in the next few years. So i'm not worried about a career right now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

I think that's a defining feature of Gen X. My younger friends are surprised that we took far more drugs than they could ever imagine yet still have jobs/businesses and make a lot of money. Maybe it's not grit they lack, instead they need high quality drugs. Millennials really are hosed because of their lack of drug consumption, that would at least give them a realistic perspective of the world and how hosed it is.

We also slipped through without the crazy debt noose millennials have if they want to study so they don't end up mopping poo poo for a living.

Millennials are going to live most of their lives being able to buy weed without having to pretend to be friends with some jerk. That alone should be enough for them to be happy.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Parallax Scroll posted:

milenials probably think they need to use an app to get more grit

I just eat "artisanal" corn chips for my daily value of grit.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Devian666 posted:

Have you tried weed today? poo poo, stoners have been breeding it to be exponentially more powerful.

From my experience growing up in a suburban town, millennials have plenty of weed.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bongwizzard posted:

Making money and being comfortable means you are participating in the economy and paying taxes left and right - payroll, sales, gasoline, property - so that poor people can have dumb things.

Being self centered is about the most socially aware thing a person can do.

naem
May 29, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I'm living off the assumption that global warming, pollution, and and natural resources drying up are all going to cause civilization to collapse in the next few years. So i'm not worried about a career right now.

The global top 5% (and perhaps a select handful of their faithful servants) will not only survive this, they will thrive as never before- completely unaware of the mad max helldome pressure cooker everyone else's life becomes and will probably keep writing each other cnn articles about how clever they are and chuckle indulgently at the rest of us as we scalp each other over bottled water and canned goods in the street

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

GORDON posted:

Making money and being comfortable means you are participating in the economy and paying taxes left and right - payroll, sales, gasoline, property - so that poor people can have dumb things.

poo poo, rich people pay taxes now?

Not in the America I'm living in!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dreddout posted:

poo poo, rich people pay taxes now?

Not in the America I'm living in!

I didn't realize the middle class was rich people.

I guess it depends on one's perspective.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GORDON posted:

I didn't realize the middle class was rich people.

I guess it depends on one's perspective.

There is no middle class anymore.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GORDON posted:

I'm a self centered snob....

LIKE A FOX

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I didn't really read anything in this thread besides grit but I bet it's a really bad one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lord Binky posted:

I didn't really read anything in this thread besides grit but I bet it's a really bad one.

I only read the last page but you're right

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

There is no middle class anymore.

I think I am middle class. I can't outright buy a car with cash, but I can finance one and pay it off in like 2-3 years without much sacrifice in other areas.

I don't know any other definition really.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I think I am middle class. I can't outright buy a car with cash, but I can finance one and pay it off in like 2-3 years without much sacrifice in other areas.

I don't know any other definition really.

You're poor and fooling yourself

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

None of those paid more for education than millennials though. At least they weren't under any illusions growing up, either.

I guess the indentured servants were also working off a huge debt but still lol

I guarantee you not a single person has actually been telling people to get liberal arts degrees for the last 10 years but millenials still whine about $200k college debts with no job prospects

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i got a 5 on the standardized grit exam because a lifetime of taking inane tests has made me very proficient in choosing answers someone else obviously wants to hear.

do i get an office job with benefits that will pay me for the rest of life and only ask me to work like 20-30 years?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Buca di Bepis posted:

I guarantee you not a single person has actually been telling people to get liberal arts degrees for the last 10 years but millenials still whine about $200k college debts with no job prospects

A suburban mom just told me to get a phd in American History.

I think she might want me to be unemployed.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

my buddy has $80k debt from a semester and a half getting is masters in engineering from UT

i was like, how was it that expensive? he has to pay $960/month for the next 10 years! how is he expected to be a contributor to the economy? his payments are so high he won't be able to save, have a family, or get a mortgage until all that poo poo's paid off. basically he's a lazy shlub

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

my buddy has $80k debt from a semester and a half getting is masters in engineering from UT

i was like, how was it that expensive? he has to pay $960/month for the next 10 years! how is he expected to be a contributor to the economy? his payments are so high he won't be able to save, have a family, or get a mortgage until all that poo poo's paid off.

no way is he actually telling you the truth, grad school tuition for Texas residents at UT Austin is $5k/semester and if you don't get a grant as an engineer you're loving up

non-resident is $9k

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

You're poor and fooling yourself

I mean maybe but then I guess that being poor is p easy and people need to stop whining about it so much.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

no way is he actually telling you the truth, grad school tuition at UT Austin is $5k/semester and if you don't get a grant as an engineer you're loving up

he was out of state? plus the loan cover living expenses? i'm not defending him, i'm just marveling a the level of debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

he was out of state? plus the loan cover living expenses? i'm not defending him, i'm just marveling a the level of debt

$9k/semester max if he's out of state. $66k in living expenses for 9 months is pretty lol

maybe he fell for a few dozen IRS phone scams

• Locked thread